Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 What would you do differently? Challenge!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic What would you do differently? Challenge! Next Topic  

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2011 :  1:19:22 PM  Show Profile
I've been reading and re-reading this article from a CNN Affiliate. Basically, one of their editors does a "food stamp challenge" to attempt to show how poor people are eating in America and how difficult it can be.
I don't doubt that it is when you have things on your weekly menu like "espresso" but when I looked at this woman's list, and read her comments, I thought, "I do this almost every week." Though I'm a household of 2 adults and one finicky toddler who eats nothing, I can still manage to eat more for lunch than peanut butter and jelly (and I love it, so I'm not knockin' it) but this author clearly doesn't "cook" on any regular basis so this exercise seems futile to me.

http://eatocracy.cnn.com/2011/09/28/the-food-stamp-challenge-eating-on-30-a-week/

Take a look and tell me what you girls think? What could you/would you do differently?

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2011 :  1:55:32 PM  Show Profile
it would be impossible for me to do this challenge, since I raise and grow almost all that we eat, but I will send this link to some I know that buy all at the store and see what they say...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2011 :  1:57:19 PM  Show Profile
I can see your point--would love to know what your friends come up with. I can also see that shopping in NYC would probably be more costly than say, shopping in Elsmere, Kentucky (where I live) but I think that it can be done better than this. In fact, if I didn't think I already did this challenge, I'd be tempted to try it again!

Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2011 :  2:42:31 PM  Show Profile
Well that was a strange article. I don't doubt that it can be challenging to try to live off of food stamps but aren't food stamps there to HELP with your food budget? Most people I've seen at the grocery store that are paying with food stamps also use cash along with the food stamps. Her menu sounds like she was trying to diet on $30.00. I would think she could have made much better choices. How many people on food stamps would have espresso every day? And what's wrong with drinking tap water with your meal or having leftovers for lunch?

Me thinks this was a biased article!

Audrey

Toto, we're not in Kansas any more!
Go to Top of Page

gracylfreebush
Farmgirl in Training

39 Posts

Gracy
Alvin TX
USA
39 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2011 :  3:44:39 PM  Show Profile
I don't know about living on $30.00 a week but when I see people in the grocery line buying a couple of items and then getting cash off their food stamp card and turning around and buying beer and soda it makes me wonder why they are getting food stamps and my college kids are living on ramen. Just saying.

Thoughts are things choose the good ones.
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2011 :  4:07:15 PM  Show Profile
the food stamp cards are not just food stamps, it is also their cash allowence card, not saying its alright to spend it on beer and soda, but the cash is for rent, utilites and non-food items like TP, soap etc...I wish there was abetter way to set up these cards, so only what is importent and nessacary can be bought, its usually only a family with kids that qualify for the aid, at least here in So. Cal., but people cheat the system and hurt others that really need the help, but on the other hand, what a family recieves, is not near enough to cover food, non-food and rent etc, so that is also why so many cheat...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2011 :  4:44:58 PM  Show Profile
I am on food stamps. The cash allowance in Indiana is a $250 max. I don't get the cash, just the food. I feed a family of six on $350 a month. I cook all our meals at home, buy a very limited amount of sodas, for Hubby only, and we drink tap water all day long.

I shop at discount stores for bread, canned goods, and staples. Then go to bigger groceries for my 'exotic' items like whole wheat flour, millet, rolled oats, and certian veges. We also grow what we can, which doesn't always turn out well due to not having the extra money for lots of fertilizer or gas to make trips to places for manure and stuff.

Our ground is poor, but we are working it up with our own compost and ammendments we can locate that would be really close to places we already have to go to. It's not an easy life, but it's more than doable.

I manage to accumulate the fixings for a first class Thanksgiving dinner, wonderful homemade candy and cookies for Christmas gifts, and everyones birthday cookout. Except for the youngest DD, her birthday is in winter, so it's a special spaghetti dinner, since it's her favorite.

People can make ends meet if they really want to. I do have esspresso once in a while, but it's homemade. I mix instant coffee crystals and cappaccino powder with a cup of coffee. I get a flavored espresso drink better than any coffee house for about 1/4 the cost.

I get very angry with people who abuse the assistance that some people really need. If it weren't for food stamps I would have to choose between electricity and food for my family. We only have the internet for entertainment and netflix streaming. We have already given up everything else and have sold off our extra car. My family is a one car, no tv, no big toys, spending time with each other and reading, very close to amish kinda people anymore.

I think every family that wants assistance should have to prove themselves and should be given a little training on how to reduce bills and save money. I do everything I can think of and would welcome any suggestions from any source to help us even more. I would be one of the families required to do the things I think should be done, and I would be happy to do them! Anyone honestly needing help would be!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2011 :  4:48:11 PM  Show Profile
well I posted a comment on the blog. I would not spend it on coffee..I drink tea. And I can go to Dollar Tree and get 80 tea bags and 100 green tea bags for $1.00. I get meat on sale and buy when stuff is on sale example, bread (freeze it), toilet paper, i also go to Big Lots for some things. I have found large cans of tomato sauce and stewed tomatoes for 80cents. So when I run out of what I have put up from my garden I go get these that are cheaper than the local Kroger grocery. We cant get food stamps either but that doesnt bother me. My mother needed food stamps in her later years and I ma glad she got them. The people that need them and our older people and children.
Deborah

we have moved to our farm...and love it
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2011 :  06:23:43 AM  Show Profile
I think the system is in place for a reason and I fully support social programs, but I also believe there could be some reform. Please understand that the reason I posted this article was not to discuss the pro's/con's or abuses of the foodstamp program, but to simply say, "I think we Farmgirls could do this better!!!" It just seemed like such a waste of...dare I say, $30? I found her choices to be short sighted. In fact, it occured to me when reading this article, that I went to the grocery two weeks ago and spent $67.00 (that's roughly $33.50 for two weeks of food). Before going, I got my recipes together, and based my shopping list on what I needed for those recipes. Since we don't eat prepared foods, save some organic boxed mix mac and cheese for the 2 year old, I don't end up spending a lot of money in the "inner aisles" of the grocery, and I don't buy my meat there, either, I buy from a small, mom and pop butcher in the city that is about 20% less than anywhere else, and the meat is local. I did use coupons (as much as I can, though normal circulars don't really have anything I use). And with my customer card at Kroger, $89 turned into $67. That's about as much as I budget for bi-weekly, typically. We ate a turkey meatloaf (with grated carrots), roasted acorn squash and steamed green beans, a pot of vegetable soup (with a little bit of ground beef for flavor); a chicken tortilla casserole and a good pot of chili--all taken as leftovers for lunch or eaten again for dinner a fews days later because it tasted even better!! So, no "beans and rice" or pb and j for this family--not that those are bad things, but this article clearly said to me that this gal has never had to use her head for more than a place to put her hat on...

Go to Top of Page

Dorinda
True Blue Farmgirl

1023 Posts

Dorinda
St. Cloud Florida
USA
1023 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2011 :  06:24:22 AM  Show Profile
First thing that hit me was the fact she goes to a gym to work out. What ever happen to walking or jogging or speed walking to stay in shape. Or exercises on your living room floor! It must cost money to go to a gym. Just that one comment made me cringe and have no symphaty for her at all. I spend about $50.00 a week on 3 grown men and 2 grown women a week. So 5 adults I feed. I go to Aldi's and buy my milk and eggs and extra veggies every week. Then I hit a meat market we have here called Rife's. I buy only the meats that are on sale. I grow some of our veggies and what I don't grow I buy only what is in season. I freeze bushels of corn and Tomatoes and other veggies that I buy cheap in season to last about 8 months out of the year. Yesterday I bought peaches pretty cheap that I will Make about 8 quarts of jam to last for the winter. Right now I am looking for free quavas to make a few jars of quava jelly. And by doing this we have an abundance of food. We even eat steaks on the weekend! The bread I don't make I buy at Aldi's. We usually have plenty of left overs to warm for lunch the next day. If you do all of this you want have to go to a gym.LOL.

Seize The Day!
Dorinda
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2011 :  07:31:55 AM  Show Profile
Ouch, my head hurts. This should be called, I Never Learned to Cook, Now Watch Me Suffer. First off, I love beans and rice. Next time, she should make it cajun. Secondly, people on limited incomes aren't usually taking weekend trips to the country. The rest of America calls bringing their food along a picnic.
Every person I ever knew on food stamps shared their food. I used to live on $50 a month, when I lived alone.

Trish

Make cupcakes not war!
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2011 :  07:52:01 AM  Show Profile
@Trish,"This should be called, I Never Learned to Cook, Now Watch Me Suffer."...that made me laugh. A LOT.
I love beans and rice, too, I just felt it was so...pedestrian, and honestly, and it smacked of ignorance. Poor people eat beans and rice, don't they? I used to work with a woman from "North Ft. Thomas" Kentucky ("South Ft. Thomas was really Newport, where all the poor, white trash appalachian folks lived."--according to her) and when I brought in red lentil curries and rice and things like that (because I was poor BUT enlightened :)),she would say, "Lentils are just flat beans and beans are poor people food. I'd be embarrassed to bring that in for lunch. It's advertising that you don't have any money. I've never eaten a bean in my life!!" I always thought she was an ignorant petulant snob, but it does seem to be the concept of people who've never eaten a good mess of beans.
You're right, folks who are on food stamps aren't usually trekking off to country outings--but tell me this, and this is simply because, though I've probably often qualified for public assistance, I've never used it: is the benefit something established due to household size? I'm reading really varying degrees of benefits from comments made online to this article, that differ largely from a first hand knowledge, here, in Kentucky. One lady posted that she was a family of 5 and only got $225 a month. I don't know what state she was in. And Angela, up above posted a rather low figure for Indiana. I know a family of 5 here in Kentucky, who gets $700 monthly in foodstamps (the family of 5 consists of twin 9 month old infants, and a 4 year old who lives part time with her mom and step dad) and they also get WIC coupons for the babies. The family was frustrated that they didn't also qualify for Section 8 housing--and both of the parents work. Often, they can't spend the $700 and offer to buy things for other family members or friends.

If I had $700 to spend a month on groceries, I don't know where I'd put it all. Seriously.

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2888 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2888 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2011 :  08:11:29 AM  Show Profile
Jonni
I think KY residents qualify for more in food stamps. A gal from church; her bro & his gfriend are staying with them in OH now, & she gets $600 in foodstamps. & she works & so does he.
I really don't mind helping people who truly need it, like Angela, but having a gym membership on foodstamps, that reminds me of the time I went to Weight Watchers & there was this young gal just buying every dessert the meeting had to offer (not cheap, lemme tell you) & later in the meeting talked about buying a treadmill (top of the line). Later that night I was in Save A Lot & she was in front of me paying with food stamps.
I'm with you, I honestly do not understand the guidelines. & my food budget is similar to yours. If we spent $700, we'd be eating lobster every night.
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2011 :  09:22:03 AM  Show Profile
I have qualified as well, and never used it. Earth is a work planet, so I eventually got a job with more hours.
The one time I applied I was a full time college student, living off campus, and I couldn't get anything because if my pell grant.

Trish

Make cupcakes not war!
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2011 :  09:37:43 AM  Show Profile
@Lisa, Kentucky must have major benefits, then. Where there's a true need, I'm all for it.

@Trish, I remember my (ex) husband, working on his PH D and living off student loans because he said it was the only way he could live as a student--there was just no assistance out there with all his grants.

Go to Top of Page

LucyLobo511
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

Mari-lyn
Capron IL
USA
177 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2011 :  09:40:41 AM  Show Profile
natesgirl: You Go Girl! It sounds like you have it together.

The choices of food in the article would not be my choices. But after thinking about it we already live on that amount, just because I don't like spending our money on crap. So I am very picky about what we buy I search out the best deal and if it cost too much we go without.

Insane and Blissfully Happy
Mari-lyn
Go to Top of Page

AmethystRose
True Blue Farmgirl

254 Posts

Rosemary
Huntingdon PA
USA
254 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2011 :  10:52:33 AM  Show Profile
Totally skewed to have more people join her pity party. Espresso? Plain coffee, buy a quart of milk to last the week. While you're at it, buy one lemon, cut a wedge from it daily to put into that so, so sad plain water. Most people my age do that. Splenda isn't cheap, either.
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2011 :  10:55:30 AM  Show Profile
Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one who saw this article (or "attempt") as flawed. I think there are a ton of things I'd do differently, but as I said, maybe I've just been on the poor side for so long these things seem like common sense, but this article approached a sort of socio-economic disconnect for me. This is a person who will probably never have to live on public assistance, but God help her if she ever did!

Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2011 :  11:54:16 AM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
When my ex-husband just decided to leave me one day, I had all the usual bills to pay, wasn't working and wondered how I was going to make ends meet. So I know what it is like to live on less. I found a job, had to cut out alot of things, no tv, no internet, no going anywhere but work. I learned to live on less than $30. a week. So it can be done and you can survive. You can do what you needed to, to be able to survive...just learn never to give up. Now I am remarried, don't have alot of things, DH owns his own real estate business which is not doing well in this economy. But we survive. I plant a garden, put everything up that I can. We have pear trees, persimmon tree, wild blackberries and alot of food that grows wild(I just have been learning what they are...so it's like free food). We live where we can hunt so we eat deer, rabbits, dove, wild hogs when we can get one. We also have a pond stocked with catfish and bream. So you do what you have to do...I love to bake our bread, and cook everything from scratch. I am so proud to be a farmgirl and love all of you...we share so much...thank you for letting me share today.

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...
Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2011 :  1:23:48 PM  Show Profile
We are pretty much living on those types of meals already. We help provide our food by growing our garden, drying our herbs, foraging, investing in the dairy goats, eggs from the layers and also raising our own meat. Grocery prices are high also. If I had to cut more out, it would be sliced cheese, sugar and pretzels (allowed for school lunches). Cheese and sugar are high priced items today. We eat lots of PB & J. However, we have to make 8 servings at meal time.

We don't buy espresso or splenda. I do buy coffee, and that too would be considered a luxury buy.

Farmgirl #800
http://pioneerwomanatheart.blogspot.com/

http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2011 :  11:15:08 PM  Show Profile
I tend to stock pile foods such as rices, noodles, oats &any other thing that can sit on a shelf for long periods of time...I am very picky when it comes to meat because I don't eat much of it but my husband will...so I look for good sales but what I buy has to go for more than one meal even hamburger. I can use 1 lb of hamburger for 2 meals by using only half of it in one meal...example..spagetti sauce one night, the other half goes in chili or with beans....I have a small garden so I try to can, freeze of dry everything, i also have chickens for their eggs....have a wonderful co-op where I can get 50 lbs of rolled oats, whole grain flours, stone cut oats & raw sugar....I try to put aside $ so when I get what I think I need I do a once a year big order thur the co-op....everything I get will last a year or more. I hate espresso...but love coffee so I go to our Job lots here in town for their no big name coffee, I can also get other items there sometimes for 75% less....I do not buy big name items/foods....
as for the bean & rice comment...I am southern so thats a favorite of mine as is lima beans & ham...that ham bone gets used to an inch of its life!...other meat bones I will save, freeze & then when I have enough I throw them in a pot of water to boil for soup/stew stocks....its amazing how much stock you can make doing less than ones days of work & freeze them up in separate containers for later use. My biggest downfall is cheese..but my hubby hates cheese so it stays in the house longer...but even if we have nothing else in the house I do always have cheese...& its not that pre-sliced stuff...ICK!...doesn't have to be expensive or fancy just good ole cheese....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2011 :  3:18:20 PM  Show Profile
The funny part is that I'm on the EBT program in Arizona while hubby is (under) employed full time and school full time, and the amount they give me to feed the 5 of us (30$ a week again) is more than I spend in cash when I don't have EBT. I manage things like buying extra turkeys for the freezer when they go on sale for the holidays... store bought birthday cakes. I not only don't run out, I often have 20-50$ rolled over into the next month.

I think the general public doesn't understand things like the price per ounce shown on the shelf tag. In fact, I know that's true because I never go to the grocery store without stopping someone and telling them about it when I see them agonizing over which cereal is cheaper. People are just to used to grabbing whatever looks good, and making assumptions on what is going to be cheaper. Generics are not always the best deal. 50 cent off coupons aren't always going to save you a ton of money.

Heck, I started my garden on food stamps because you can buy veggie seeds, herb seeds, fruit trees, and started plants.

If you gals are into community service, I suggest organizing a "living well on less" cookbook to give to your local food banks. I got one started before I had to leave oregon that included shopping tips, and good recipes based on WIC and food bank heavy foods.

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi
http://silvermoonfarm.blogspot.com/
"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.� ~Will Rogers

Edited by - Dusky Beauty on Sep 30 2011 3:28:08 PM
Go to Top of Page

paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
social springs community Louisiana
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2011 :  08:49:51 AM  Show Profile
Jonni, I'm with you. I do think we could do this a little better. Like most of the farm girls, I raise my own vegetables, beef, poultry, pork and fish, as well as our own eggs. Three weeks ago, my new Jersey cow was born, so in a couple of years, I'll also be producing my own milk, cream, butter and hopefully, at least part of our own cheeses and other dairy products. The bulk of my grocery budget goes to staples (sugar, flour, etc.), which I buy in bulk, paper and cleaning products and fresh fruit. Give me a couple of years and I'll be producing a lot of the fresh fruit myself (i have recently planted plum, peach, pear and apple trees, and already had grape and fig trees that were producing). I have the advantage of having acreage to do this, but even an urban apartment dweller in most cases can grow at least a portion of their food - be it a tomato plant or something similar that can grow in pots. I just think that it comes down to being taught what you can do with what you have, no matter how much or little.

from the hearts of paradise...
1Thess. 4:11
Go to Top of Page

marmieto12
True Blue Farmgirl

213 Posts

laura
utah
USA
213 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2011 :  10:36:14 AM  Show Profile
We need to take into account while gathering fresh eggs, making cheese etc, we purchase or grow feed for our animals. That does cost money. Many of the families receiving aide really could use cooking and budgeting skills taught to them. They may also live in an apartment.
I agree there could be better food choices and the gal in the article did a poor job.

Laura~Dreaming of big girl farm...

Farmgirl # 148

Farm Girl Projects http://justsimplythegirls.blogspot.com

My Vinyl Decor Business
http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheGirlsCreate

The Girls Create on Facebook~ https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Girls-Create/152037319813
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic What would you do differently? Challenge! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page