Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Keeping chickens' water from freezing
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Keeping chickens' water from freezing Next Topic  

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2011 :  07:20:11 AM  Show Profile
This is my first year with my six chickens and I'm starting to think about what I need to do for keeping their water from freezing. Does anyone use heated water bowls for their chickens in the winter? I haven't seen any heated poultry waterers yet that look like anything I would want to use.

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
A Beehive is the ultimate Home Sweet Home

retasos2
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Pilar
Centereach NY
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2011 :  09:30:36 AM  Show Profile
I'm on the same boat. first yr with 5 chickens and not liking anything out there. Hubby wants something he can hang and is heated.

Pilar
Farmgirl Sister #2498
Little Hen House on the Island

" A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is, until she gets in hot water" Eleanore Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

Sabrena Orr
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Sabrena
Olympia WA
USA
198 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2011 :  09:43:22 AM  Show Profile
We purchased a heated base for their water to sit on (not exactly sure of the correct term for this item), but it is a round metal base that plugs in and we sit the chickens' water on it. It keeps it from freezing during our cold spells.

Sabrena, Olympia
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2011 :  10:03:08 AM  Show Profile
Ok dear hens the easiest way to go about this is to have a area in the coop where you can use either a red heat lamp or clear heat lamp that is over the water bowl....I have had too many people have problems with the heated bases...they work then something happens & they don't & you are out the big money for them.....yes the lamp may effect the chickens if its a clear lighted one but I found if I use a red colored lamp they have no problems & will sleep thur the night with it on....

do not put the lamp right on top of it as the chickens may fly up into it...or it will heat the water to the point they won't drink it unless they have to...I put mine about 3 ft above it...it keeps the water from icing but does not boil it.....even though my 'kids' have a outside run I never put water out there in the winter so they have to come in to get feed & water but it also makes them get out of the cold for a bit so no frozen crowns or woddles or feet.

also beware that is the wire to the base heat waterer gets damaged you can wake up to a coop on fire, or if it goofs up the metal over heats & a fire can occur..... Now yes heat lamps can get damaged as well but if you keep it dusted, keep the wires up out of the way where you can see them, don't hide them so mice ect can chew them you will be safe...also make sure its really secure so it can't fall & cause the bedding ect to catch fire....

Now for those who have no electricity in the coops you can't do this but there is ways to keep the water from freezing up over & over each day......Find a thermal bag like you use to keep items warm in....put one under the waterer so it rest on it & then one big enough that you can slip over the top of the waterer to encase it.....also make sure not to put hot or ice cold water in the waterer....hot water actually freezes faster....& ice cold will take time to warm up a bit for them to drink....if all else fails find some old thermal long johns...cut the legs & slip the 2 legs over the top & put the seat/waist area under it...this way you don't have to go out every hour to check the water.....on really bad days you will still have to check it more often but this will cut down the ice build up & the 'kids' will thank you for it......oh old wool sweaters work for this also....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2011 :  1:54:11 PM  Show Profile
if you are useing a bowl for water, just float a peice of wood in it, (make sure its not toxic or treated), this works great unless you have days and days of below zero weather, it also works for horse/ cattle / and other animals. I will not use anything electric where there is straw/hay/shavings etc, I have been witness to barn/coop fires, and its not something I want to see ever again...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

Sabrena Orr
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Sabrena
Olympia WA
USA
198 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2011 :  2:23:16 PM  Show Profile
I like the idea of the wood. We'll try that this winter. Our water heater base is in an area free of any shavings/wood so I think it's pretty safe. I would hate for anything to happen though..

Sabrena, Olympia
Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2011 :  3:45:30 PM  Show Profile
Move to a warmer climate????? :) I just give them water morning and night. But if you want them to have water available all through out the day there are some good ideas already on here!!

Excuse the mess & the noise, my children are making happy memories
Go to Top of Page

SheilaC
True Blue Farmgirl

1948 Posts

Sheila
Vermont
USA
1948 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2011 :  7:47:55 PM  Show Profile
Totally LOVE our heated water bowls, just regular heated dog bowls from TSC--I think they were like $20 or so. Sure beats having solid ice filled water bowls!

http://troutwife.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2011 :  09:49:36 AM  Show Profile
another suggestion is to insulate your coop, you can stack bales of straw around the outside, and drape tarps over them to protect them from the elements, so they can be used in the spring for what ever...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2011 :  06:14:59 AM  Show Profile
We use a heat lamp over the water. We also buy an extra water unit to switch out every morning.

Farmgirl #800
http://pioneerwomanatheart.blogspot.com/

http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2011 :  1:15:05 PM  Show Profile
I use a heated poultry waterer. It's a pain in the rear to fill up! I wish I could figure out a way to make a hole in the top that I can seal with something-the hole that it's made with is in the bottom.

http://www.flemingoutdoors.com/3-gallon-plastic-heated-poultry-waterer.html?productid=3-gallon-plastic-heated-poultry-waterer&channelid=FROOG

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2011 :  8:45:45 PM  Show Profile
Boy do I hear y'all...it is a pain to keep the water from freezing- I do not run electricity to my coop so electric heaters etc are out for me. I have a friend that gave me a good idea- one that they use for their hens....
they purchased some type of "plumbing tape" from Lowes (the kind that plumbers use to wrap pipes to keep them from freezing) and they wrap the waterer with the tape and keep it IN the coop (not in the outside pen). They claim it works like a charm---- so I will be heading to Lowes to check it out myself! Hoping it does the trick instead of having to go out there several times a day to check on the water!
Smiles,

~Laurie
"Little Hen House on the Island"
Farmgirl Sister#1403

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..

Edited by - laurentany on Sep 17 2011 8:46:31 PM
Go to Top of Page

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2011 :  09:29:14 AM  Show Profile
Thanks girls for all of your suggestions. It is interesting to see what folks from different parts of the country with varying severity of winters use. There are some really interesting ideas here though! I did try the floating chunk of wood when I first got horses and found that in Missouri, it just becomes an embedded chunk of wood in a block of ice. I think that if it kept moving it would help, but instead I needed to end up getting a tank heater for the horses.

I'm nervous about running electricity to my little tractor-turned-coop, but my husband said he can run the cords through a pvc pipe to keep the girls from pecking the cord. My coop isn't tall enough inside to use a heat lamp, but that seems like a good idea too if I had the headroom for it.

I keep going back to the heated water bowls idea. I think they will get messy, but I'll just have to keep on top of keeping them cleaned out.

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
A Beehive is the ultimate Home Sweet Home
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Keeping chickens' water from freezing Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page