CCChristen
True Blue Farmgirl

180 Posts

Cynthia
Lockwood CA
USA
180 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2011 :  02:23:33 AM  Show Profile
I have a problem. My chickens are losing feathers. They peck at each other to the point they have bald spot. I am wondering if its not only the picking but some other problem. If anyone has some answers I would be so happy.

henlady35904
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Kim
Gadsden Alabama
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2011 :  07:48:45 AM  Show Profile
My hens are molting right now. Could this be the cause?

Farmgirl Sister #2667
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2011 :  07:53:14 AM  Show Profile
hi there cynthia, i am guessing you have no light on your birds at night. this time of year when days are getting shorter chickens molt. the shorter days trigger molting. in their native country they molt to regrow new feathers for their migration. we use a simple 40 to 60 watt bulb. they need more than 16 hours of daylight to avoid a molt. if you use a colored light they will peck less. my father always hung bacon rind in their coop. the fat helps them get what they need. usually pecking is boredom or something missing in their diet. most animals try to store up some fat in fall for winter. i know the other girls will have good ideas too. mine are molting now. they have different sections of feathers come out at a time. they look red and sore where the feathers are out. so watch and see if they are really pecking each other or are they just sore there. i sure hope this helps you. how many chickens do you have? happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2011 :  09:46:13 AM  Show Profile
It could be molting, or lice, or a bad habit started (which is really hard to break), we lose hair to make way for new, chickens lose feathers to make way for new...I do not believe in keeping a light on in my coop, it is not natural in MHO, and please "no" offense to those that do, natural is natural...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

CCChristen
True Blue Farmgirl

180 Posts

Cynthia
Lockwood CA
USA
180 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2011 :  10:32:06 AM  Show Profile
Thanks girls for the info. Im still abite puzzeled this has been going on for awhile. And im in California and we are just now cooling off, so this was going on before..
Thanks Again Girls
Cynthia

Line Shack Farmgirl
Happy Trails
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2011 :  1:04:11 PM  Show Profile
well then tinas idea about lice or mites could be. we use d. e. for ours. it is length of day not temperature that triggers molting. it takes a LONG time for them to move through a molt.

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2011 :  09:40:46 AM  Show Profile
From the sounds of it you have mites as well as pecking...alot of pecking happens when they perch/roost for the night & if you have big bear spot thats more pecking than mites or molting.....Molting you will see areas all over that will have bear spots not just one area....plus if you pick them up you can do the heavy petting to see if feathers come out while you do this....with pecking this will not occur....nor with mites...
The rump area if bear will tell you the others are doing the pecking.....neck, back area would more likely be molting.....bear back only is a rooster mating.

if the rump area is red, heavy in some areas you will need to get some nasty tasting salve on them to help keep the others away from that area....they will go after the vent area which can be very dangerous/deadly for the hen.....or if you don't have any bad tasting salve get some iodine...take a cotton ball & soak it in it then heavy paint the exposed area...this will dye the area as well as cleanse the wounded skin.....its more of a brownish color instead of that nice red area that the hens are attracted to....

I would also use the 'D' earth, can't spell it..lol...dust the coop heavy, nesting boxes & rub into the perch/roosting bars...& once they are down for the night you might want to go in with a squire bottle full of the D earth & do their neck areas ^ rump areas....

If any have bleeding caused by the pecking I would definitely treat them with the iodine or separate them until they can heal up....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2011 :  12:27:32 PM  Show Profile
My chickens are all molting too,one way I deal with pecking is to put big globs of petroleum jelly on the pecked areas,not only does this help protect and heal the wounds already started.The "pecker" :)gets a big beakful of jelly and this tends to discourage some chickens from repeating the offense or at least changes thier mind for the moment as they frantically wipe thier faces on the ground to get the goo off thier faces.

"Today's Mighty Oak is just Yesterday's Nut"
Go to Top of Page

CCChristen
True Blue Farmgirl

180 Posts

Cynthia
Lockwood CA
USA
180 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2011 :  1:56:52 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by RedHoopWoman

My chickens are all molting too,one way I deal with pecking is to put big globs of petroleum jelly on the pecked areas,not only does this help protect and heal the wounds already started.The "pecker" :)gets a big beakful of jelly and this tends to discourage some chickens from repeating the offense or at least changes thier mind for the moment as they frantically wipe thier faces on the ground to get the goo off thier faces.

"Today's Mighty Oak is just Yesterday's Nut"

Go to Top of Page

CCChristen
True Blue Farmgirl

180 Posts

Cynthia
Lockwood CA
USA
180 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2011 :  1:58:42 PM  Show Profile
wow girls thanks for the responses. It is really helping.

Your sister
Cynthia

Happpy Trails
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic chckens losing feathers Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page