Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2011 :  10:05:36 PM  Show Profile
Well, I started in july with campbell ducklings...

They are now about half grown up.

Then I got some Metzer layer hybrids in August.

Now they're "outside big girl ducks" and full integrated with the campbells.

Last week I got my Welsh Harlequins-- the ones I ordered with the layers didn't make it.

And yesterday, we went on a family outing across the valley to go pick up these guys from a rescue; They had all been abandoned in public parks in the area.

2 magpies, a saxony girl, and the buff drake in the tux. The hens are all in good shape, Mister Floyd though has a limp from surgery to remove a fish hook from his achilles.

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi
http://silvermoonfarm.blogspot.com/
"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers

Tapestry
True Blue Farmgirl

1223 Posts

Cheryl
Wisconsin
USA
1223 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2011 :  10:35:56 PM  Show Profile  Send Tapestry a Yahoo! Message
Wow I had no idea ducks came in so many varieties. The magpies are really pretty! When I was a kid on the farm we had mallards and muscovies(sp?). I'll never forget getting chased across the barnyard by a very mad daddy when I got a bit too close to momma and their nest.

Happy farmgirl sister #353

Look for rainbows instead of mud puddles

http://www.Tapestry2u.Etsy.com

http://tapestrysimaginings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2011 :  06:23:04 AM  Show Profile
I'm envious! I want to get some Anconas. Haven't found any yet, but hopefully next spring!

Excuse the mess & the noise, my children are making happy memories
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2011 :  06:49:59 AM  Show Profile
That's a bunch of ducks! Do you have a big pond for them? I didn't know there were so many different breeds either. A friend has 2 of the biggest fattest geese I have ever seen. Can't remember the name of them but they are an older breed, Their bellies drag the ground. And we have a little city park and people drop off their ducks. But they stay there. People feed them. I remember when my kids were little, we'd go to the grocery store then feed them old bread. They loved it. Have fun with yours.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2011 :  09:03:35 AM  Show Profile
Most people who keep ducks (me included) have kiddie pools for ponds-- they need clean water regularly or risk health problems so whatever pond they have has to be big enough to be self cleaning, or small enough for the people to clean.
My welshies should look something like this when they are grown up. I love my ducks, they're so pretty and have great personalities and the eggs have more intrinsic benefits than chicken eggs. I want to get some of the jet black ducks too (cayugas) they have a beetle green sheen to their black feathers, and they sometimes even lay a black egg! (although usually gray.)

I like Anconas too Kimberly! Metzer farms is looking to add a new duck breed for 2013 and I cast my vote for Ancona. With any luck that will make it much easier to find them.

(500 posts on the forum!! WOOT!)
"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi
"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers

Edited by - Dusky Beauty on Sep 14 2011 09:45:58 AM
Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2011 :  11:23:07 AM  Show Profile
Jen,

I realize this isn't related to the topic; but I love your quote that ends with "When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut." LOL LOVE that! One of my favorites might be a little related to that one. It's something along the line of, "Keep your mouth shut, folks might think you're stupid. Open your mouth and remove all doubt."

Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2011 :  2:07:00 PM  Show Profile
Yep, Mark Twain said it!

Go to Top of Page

MEWolf
True Blue Farmgirl

358 Posts

Margaret
Byers Colorado
USA
358 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2011 :  2:13:57 PM  Show Profile
Just beautiful Ducks...love'em!

Margaret

“Kind hearts are the gardens, kind thoughts are the roots, kind words are the flowers, kind deeds are the fruits. Take care of your garden and keep out the weeds, fill it with sunshine, kind words and kind deeds.” ~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (1808-1882)
Farmgirl #3020
www.grey-wolf-farm.com
Go to Top of Page

Luzy
True Blue Farmgirl

922 Posts

Luanne
Pueblo Colorado
USA
922 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2011 :  2:24:52 PM  Show Profile
Oh I just love them all!! I have Runner ducks, and they are so much fun! I'm so happy you were able to rescue the cuties! They are just beautiful. They really are 'Lucky Ducks!!' Hugs, Lu

--
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.
http://luzy.etsy.com- My etsy store!
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2011 :  5:59:06 PM  Show Profile
How cute! I'm trying to justify hatching some ducks for our pond. :)

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2011 :  6:51:45 PM  Show Profile
Megan, do you have mosquitos? ticks? slugs? snails? squash bugs? whitefly? losing sleep from frogs croaking all night? Keep sheep? Like to bake? know someone with cancer? know someone with an egg allergy? Got a great recipe for roast duck you want to try for next Christmas?

Ducks eat mosquitos from larva to adults, eradicate ticks that annoy, eat the slugs and snails that wreck your garden, squash bugs that kill your zucchini, whiteflies that eat your melons, tadpoles, prevent liver fluke in sheep. Duck eggs have superior "loft" in baked goods, have a composition that purportedly discourages the growth of cancer cells, do not often effect people with an allergy to chicken eggs, and of course... ducks taste delicious when processed. Especially the lean meat ducks like Appleyards and Anconas.

Enough reasons yet?

Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2011 :  9:35:46 PM  Show Profile
See I knew there was good reasons for me choosing the Ancona!! lol

Go to Top of Page

lilangelacres
Farmgirl in Training

18 Posts

Leslie
Newton Iowa
USA
18 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2011 :  7:45:48 PM  Show Profile
Please be careful if you live in an area where there are snapping turtles. We lost our full grown female cayuga ducks to snapping turtles. We didn't know they were in the pond. We actually saved one of the hens we got this year from a turtle that had her by the foot. We grabbed her when she got close to shore and beat the turtle on the shell until it turned loose. We then had a guy come trap the turtles but the ducks won't go back in the pond. We now have a kiddie pool for them outside the barn. The cayugas are beautiful ducks and have feathers that look green and purple in the sun. They are very reliable layers and ours are great "watch" ducks

Leslie

Ah Farm Life - Wouldn't want to be anywhere else!
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2011 :  2:24:50 PM  Show Profile
No snapping turtles here in AZ, but when I move to MO I'll have to check it out.

Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic I'm A-Duck-ted :( Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page