heathert
True Blue Farmgirl

59 Posts

Heather
Royston GA
USA
59 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2006 :  5:55:38 PM  Show Profile
Erin what a wonderful place! Dont you love dreaming all the details? Good luck!

"Go confidently in the directions of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined."-Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2006 :  9:00:41 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Erin,
I really enjoyed reading about your place! I think you have wonderful ideas! Two kitchens in the house...how clever!! I am planning on one kitchen with a BIG pantry and butlers pantry and an outdoor kitchen to entertain out the back, and a Summer kitchen all screened in for canning in the summer, but am still not sure on the summer kitchen...but two kitchens indoors..wonderful! I am with you on the mud room!! I wish I could post my dream plan with all the changes we would make so you all could see...maybe I will figure it out soon. We want a big house if we can because we already have 4 kids and are thinking of adopting more once we settle. So we want room for a large family! Radient heat through the floors? That is what I am hoping for. And then 3 fireplaces and a large wood cook stove for added heat if need be. I love the plans you have for everything!! I do so hope all your dreams come true soon!
Do you have the property already? I think 40-50 acres is a good size! Thank you so much for sharing! I really enjoyed it!!
Hugz!
Talitha

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"
Go to Top of Page

daffodil dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

805 Posts

Jayne
Hamilton Victoria
Australia
805 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2006 :  9:26:48 PM  Show Profile
Wow, Erin,
That sounds fantastic - I would love something similar to what you and Talitha are talking about. I have been planning for so long, but the plans just keep on changing!
How much of this have you got so far? It sounds like you already have the land, is that right? We would love to hear how it goes - maybe you should start your own topic in this forum so we can all hear about it.
Best wishes and keep dreaming,
Jayne
Go to Top of Page

frannie
True Blue Farmgirl

2246 Posts

fran
bonham texas
USA
2246 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2006 :  08:46:21 AM  Show Profile  Send frannie a Yahoo! Message
erin,
your plans sound wonderful!
i too have lots of kitties. we try to keep thecount under 10 and just when we have things under control someone dumps a little pregnant mom here and the next day i discover the new mama with her adorable litter. oh well. this farm is a kitty magnet!
we have never lost a kitty to coyotes, etc. but we have cosmo the wonder dog. she is a great pyrenes and i think the are great dogs. she was raised with the cats and kids and chickens so she is protector of them. when we got the goats we didnt know if she would accept them, but she did and she watches over them too.
good luck on your farm and keep us posted.
thanks
fran
Go to Top of Page

lamarguerite farm
True Blue Farmgirl

649 Posts

missy
Battle Ground Wa
USA
649 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2006 :  09:49:22 AM  Show Profile
I'm getting to live a little taste of my dream now and I'm glad we are starting small because there is lots to learn!!!

We are renting a small manufactured home on 5 acres. About 1 acre of it is open and the rest is wooded. Someday I would love to have a place with a big gambrel(sp?) barn with the buildings on the side for stalls for dairy goats and a kitchen and milking area on the other side. There would be a big open pasures. I love my nubian and they have wonderful tasting milk so I would probably go with the nubians. I would love to have a couple of alpacas and of course I would have my chickens. I think I'll have chickens for the rest of my life. I just love my girls!!

I would like to have a huge garden to put veggies up for the winter months and have some to sell. I would love to have fruit trees. Maybe a field of strawberries for U-pick as well as a flower cutting garden.

I got my dream green house this spring. We had been working on it for the last year and all that's left is the hooking up the sink and putting gravel around the outside. I would definately have a green house wherever I am. I would grow and sell dry and fresh herbs(organic of course)

The house would definately be an old farm house no less than 100 years old. I LOVE old architecture and would want to restore as much as I could. I think the kitchen might just have to be the biggest room in the house!! It's the heart of the home. There would be a big island with a small sink and it would be built with salvaged doors and wood. The island and all the counters would be poured concrete with an acid wash. And of course there would be a huge farm house sink with an apron front and a huge harvest table for everyone to gather at. I have a 7 foot harvest table in our little place and when people come over, that's where we all gather.

The house would be filled with vintage finds and cottage decor and there would be claw foot tubs in the bathrooms and fire places in the bedrooms.

It would have a small cottage for guests that would have the same feel of the house.

I think I would definately have to have my own version of the "plum pit" as I was so inspired by MaryJane's.

Oh, my goodness, I could go on and on............

Blessings,

Missy

If you have a dream, even if you don't feel qualified to accomplish it, just try your hardest.-Maggie Jensen
http://18happyhens.blogspot.com
http://LamargueriteFarm.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2006 :  6:57:35 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Missy,
Your place sounds lovely! I love cottage decor and fireplaces and claw foot tubs!! Just those touches make it so desireable! And me too!! I love those big farm sinks! I want one of those and one SS one in my kitchen. And so many here love the Nubians! I went to check them out, and they are very cute! But I have never tasted goat milk, so I wouldn't know on the taste. I think having a "Plum Pit" is a wonderful idea!
I am planning on having a conservatory with my koi pond inside and my gardenias and places to feel outside when the weather is too harsh to really relax in the outdoors..but for the outdoors I want a gazebo, tree houses, cottages (for all seasons) a tent house, a covered wagon room, and maybe a "plum pit" of my own! I have tossed around many different little "home" styles that I thought would be fun to include in different areas of my yard/farm for overnight guest or just us. I think it would be fun to make an "igloo" out of glass blocks in a winter garden wonderland and a "Santa" house complete with a "reindeer stable" where you can snuggle down in fresh hay in your own "stall". In a spring garden have fairy houses both for fairies and humans with lots of flower gardens and bushes. In a summer garden my Gazebo, my tent house, and the plum pit type area. And in my autumn garden my tree house, covered wagon cottages and...? I really loved themed areas of garden and yard and I plan to have fun with mine!!

Would the Alpacas be for fiber or pets or? And what kind of chickens would you love to or what kind do you already have? I am so glad you have your green house! I hope to have two. One regular and one burried in the ground except for the roof, for dwarf tropical fruit trees because I want lemons and oranges and limes and kumquats and bananas and avacodoes..so I will need it!! Actually I may be able to put of few of these tress in the conservatory, but since that will be an outside room, I will need the greenhouse too! I also love your long table! I think it is wonderful that you and friends gather 'round it!
Thank you so much for sharing..and do tell us more! I love hearing other's ideas and dreams and current lives!!!!
Hugz,
Talitha

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"
Go to Top of Page

Bluewrenn
True Blue Farmgirl

1122 Posts

Erin
Texas
USA
1122 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2006 :  7:13:12 PM  Show Profile
It was easy to do my description of my dream farm because we are purchasing our 46.6 acres on the 15th of this month (*happy dance*) and we have been talking and planning for this moment for almost ten years!!!!

Of course, the first year or two (or more) will be in a temporary house, not sure what kind yet... maybe a metal building with an apartment framed out inside. Or maybe a yurt, who knows? My homesteading journal (URL below) will list our progress and accomplishments as we go. (So feel free to come read about it, make comments etc!)

FYI - For anyone interested in dark egg layers, I found a WONDERFUL Yahoo group called "dark egg layers" (of course!) and so far it has been very interesting. Go back in the postings and read all the posts - they had a lot of practical advice on these birds. And I may already have a breeder for my new babies and also a place to sell the eggs later on.

My Homesteading Journal
http://toomyvara.livejournal.com

My craft journal
http://bluewrenn.livejournal.com

Missy - your idea for the poured concrete island and countertops is such a wonderful idea - we'd like to try that out too - the ones we have seen done are really gorgeous, but if my hubby wants to do them himself, I'm a little worried about how they may turn out - it's such a labor intensive process and very, very heavy! I know where I'd be hiding in a tornado though - under those counters!

Edited by - Bluewrenn on Aug 10 2006 7:16:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2006 :  7:19:11 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Whoooooo Hooooooo For Erin!!!!!!
Oh that is just wonderful!!!! I am so happy and just downright thrilled for you!!!! I am going to save your page in my favorites...thanks for a front row seat!! And that is wonderful that you found some breeders already too!! Oh I am so excited!!! Make sure and hit this thread full of dreams for great ideas and sharing too!!
With Hugz and Happy Dancing!
Talitha

Go to Top of Page

Bluewrenn
True Blue Farmgirl

1122 Posts

Erin
Texas
USA
1122 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2006 :  7:57:52 PM  Show Profile
Why thank you kindly! We are SO EXCITED!!!!

My Homesteading Journal
http://toomyvara.livejournal.com

My craft journal
http://bluewrenn.livejournal.com
Go to Top of Page

daffodil dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

805 Posts

Jayne
Hamilton Victoria
Australia
805 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2006 :  8:09:01 PM  Show Profile
Erin,
Very excited for you too! It sounds as though everything is coming together for you and I will love to check in on your journal! It's great to hear that the dream is coming true for others (my hubbie not convinced yet!) so I will have to show your journal to him too!
Yurts are great - I have a friend who built one to live in temporarily while they built the house and loved it so much they just kept adding to it. They now have a house of four yurts joined together with corridors/hallways with water features and plants growing in them - they use them as greenhouses in winter. I'd like to build one too, and then it would become guest accomodation or a studio/workshop.
Everything sounds wonderful - we're very happy for you!!
Best wishes and keep dreaming,
Jayne
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2007 :  08:40:51 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
BUMP!!
DO tell us what your dream or current farm is like..we are all so curious! ( at least I am!)
Hugz!
Talitha

Go to Top of Page

MariaAZ
True Blue Farmgirl

203 Posts

Phoenix AZ
203 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2007 :  08:54:02 AM  Show Profile
My dream farm consists mostly of woods, with about 5 acres cleared for gardening and livestock and additional space for the house and fenced yard for the dogs. I would have a flock of geese as pets/weed control/sentries, a chicken yard for eggs and meat, a dairy goat or two and maybe a cow for beef (one of the mini breeds.) Oh, and maybe a llama :)

My goal would be to go off grid, using alternative power sources for energy needs. I'd grow organic fruits and veggies, probably in a "U-Pick-It" fashion if we were close enough to a major city. Maybe grow herbs for the restaurant trade too.

I'm very fortunate to have a business that is based on the Internet, so as long as I have access to a high speed connection, I won't have to depend upon the farm for a source of income. However, our goal is to have everything paid off by the time we make a move, and to pay cash for the property, so our living costs will be lower and both of us would be able to work only part time for the wages and spend the rest of our effort on our little farm.

Visit my blog at www.craftyfool.net
Go to Top of Page

kitchensqueen
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

521 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2007 :  1:30:15 PM  Show Profile
5-10 acres. A couple of acres of woodland, but mostly nice pasture. A natural spring or stream running through it. I'd put an acre or two into a vegetable patch for market gardening. I'd like to have a small antique apple orchard, as well as a couple persimmon and hazelnut trees. Maybe a couple of grapes, raspberry brambles and blueberry bushes. I'd have chickens, angora goats, and a couple head of miniature cattle. Also a few turkeys. All my livestock would be heritage breeds and all of my vegetables and fruits would be heirloom. I'd have a small farmhouse run on solar and wind power. I'd have a barn for the livestock, a greenhouse, and a community center with community kitchen and a farmstand. I'd have a brick terrace and formal herb garden near the house. On the back of the property, I'd have a small rustic cabin for retreats. A couple of honeybee hives. I'd offer CSA shares, have the farmstand and host events at the farm. I'd also offer classes and workshops and be open for school/group visits.

Hopefully, I can actually have my dream farm come to fruition in the next few years! I'm trying!

http://apartmentfarm.wordpress.com

Now Open!: http://shadetreestudios.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2007 :  7:16:34 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Thanks for bumping this Talitha! I am going to have stew over the idea over night. There is so much that I want on my farm. I loved going back and reading about other people's dream farms!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2007 :  6:24:03 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
My dream farm/ranch:

I would like to be much closer to my family, so it would have to be in Northern Wyoming or Southern Montana.

I would need at least 20 acres, more is better, less is ok but just not as good.

I want to have garden that is large enough to be mainly self-sufficient. I would like to even get to the point where I could have some U-pick fields.

I want to have between 3-5 steers, sheep, and pigs to slaughter each year. This way I can provide meat for my close relatives as well. I also would plan on raising about 50 chickens for slaughter as well.

After all that, I would like to have a flock of chickens for eggs and pest control, a few dairy goats or a dairy cow. Maybe even both. I would like to produce enough dairy to make my own cheeses and yogurts as well as have drinking milk.

I would also like to breed and raise Straight Egyptian Arabian horses. I love horses and SEAs are my favorites! I would cultivate some riding trails and devote as much of my land to wildlife santuary as possible.

I want to have a house that is large enough to accomodate my large extended family, but not a McMansion. I would like to have as many as 3 guest bedrooms and a large playroom for all the kids. I have one child already, and am planning on having more (not sure how many yet).

I know my ranch will be a lot of work, but most of the animals will be free range so that takes some of the burden off (less feed to manage and no stalls to clean). The expensive horses will probably be pampered barn horses with large turn out pens.

I will probably have to have a smaller ranch to start off with...but hey! That's what dreaming is for!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

janetinva123
True Blue Farmgirl

363 Posts

Janet
newport news va
USA
363 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2007 :  8:38:36 PM  Show Profile
Hi, all this is my first post except for saying hello in the introduce yourself.

I do not have a farm right now. I say I'm a misplaced Kentuckian I do have a small craft (embroidery) business but anyway this is my dream farm.

My daughter and I actually want to do this together
I want between 15-40 acres somewhere between Tn and Ky with some dairy goats, sheep, chickens, and rabbits. A huge garden to freeze and can from, an orchard, a small store that would only be open from may-oct with produce, cheese, craft items that I and my daughter make. I just want a comfortable farm house with lots of old fashioned rose bushes. I want some dogs to help with the sheep and goats and a couple of barn cats. I think that would be wonderful. Lots of hard work but able to see and eat what you do.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2007 :  07:12:35 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Anyone else have a dream farm/ranch that they want to tell us about?

Alee

The amazing one handed typist! One hand for tying, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2007 :  5:12:38 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Bump!

Alee

Go to Top of Page

MullersLaneFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

596 Posts

Rock Falls IL
596 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2007 :  12:00:38 PM  Show Profile
I guess I will.

Paul and I have been here 5 years. We've both have done small homesteading projects for the last 20 years (from gardening to farming with horses and raising various livestock).

We have 11 acres and rent out 2 more in pasture. We have a total of 4 pastures that we rotate our livestock on. There is 5 acres planted in alfalfa/grass mix that we farm with Belgian draft horses. We have a 35' X 70' berry garden (red, yello & black raspberries, blueberries, blackberries and cranberries). A 35' X 70' vegetable garden (currently with asparagus, rhubarb, carrots, beets, lettuce, spinach, swiss chard, sweet bell peppers, a few different varities of tomatoes, sweet potatoes, summer & winter squash and cucumbers.) There are a couple herb gardens (horseradish, comfrey, cilantro, a few types of basil, lavender, sage, mint, chocolate mint, tarragon, dill, Egyptian onions) and numerous flower gardens. there is an orchard of apple, pear, peach, cherry & plum and a grape arbor

There is a large barn, a machine shed, workshop with attached blacksmith shop, wood storage and gardening shed. A chicken coop with a chicken run.

We have 3 dogs (working farm collies), 3 cats, team of Belgian horses, ancient mule. Jersey milk cow, 2 Boer does, Jersey steer calf (freezer beef), New Zealand rabbits (freezer), egg laying flock, meat chicken flock (about 50), heritage turkeys (wild, narraganset & royal palm), muscovy ducks, geese, guineas, pea fowl, honey bee hives, berkshire sow (soon to farrow!)

My husband blacksmiths, builds furniture, harness repair and runs a Handyman Service. I make milk soaps & lotions, cook on wood cook stove, spin fiber, knit, crochet, weave, run farmer's market.

The only thing that would make our homestead complete is about 10 acres of woods. By gosh, I think I would be in heaven then!

Here's my back porch:

Cyndi
Muller's Lane Farm http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2007 :  1:01:33 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Wow Cyndi! Your place looks and sounds amazing! I love your porch! What a perfect Farmgirl Porch! I love your flowers and the farm wagon in the background!

Alee

Go to Top of Page

kitchensqueen
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

521 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2007 :  4:53:42 PM  Show Profile
Cyndi, you are living the dream!

http://apartmentfarm.wordpress.com

http://shadetreestudios.etsy.com

New Rt 66 blog: http://historyinthemaking.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

goldcat07
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Catherine
Richland WA
USA
8 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2007 :  7:44:12 PM  Show Profile
I've wanted a farm since I was young. Just a small acreage--five, ten, fifteen--doesn't matter. It needs a pond or creek and some trees, but mostly pasture. I'd like to have a rescue farm for abused or neglected farm animals. Where? Oregon or Washington, but in my mind, anywhere.

As I grow older, I want my dreams and my friends to be real.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2007 :  7:58:50 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Catherine-

How close do you think you are to getting your dream farm? By the way- Welcome to the forum!

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

Bluewrenn
True Blue Farmgirl

1122 Posts

Erin
Texas
USA
1122 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2007 :  4:41:42 PM  Show Profile
It's so funny. I have been reading and rereading everyone's postings here and I have to keep checking to see whose entry it is because it sounds like MINE! Seriously, I have read at least six of them that I swore I had written myself...

We've had our property for almost a year now, give or take a couple of weeks. In that time, we've gotten done a LOT LESS than we expected to do and done a few things we never even planned for...

For example, our road is still unfinished, and while we have the water hooked up to an outdoor spigot, it's not conveniently located. We have no septic yet, and we didn't turn one of the barns into an apt. either. I don't have my chickens, ducks or goats on the property yet, nor do I have my garden...

We DID have two 30 x 40 storage barns built, we did find an RV that we can sleep in, and we did purchase four goats and the materials for making their fenced pastures. We had some ducks - but they've already flown the coop, so to speak... We have four blackberry bushes, four fig trees and two bee hives. And we have a lot more salvaged materials and tools than we'd expected. We've got a pond that is twice it's size from last year, and we've done at least three hay cuttings this year, so there are some hay bales waiting for the goats to get there. We have a tractor, which was given to us, a wood cookstove and a treadle sewing machine.

My Homesteading Journal http://toomyvara.livejournal.com

My craft journal http://bluewrenn.livejournal.com

Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2007 :  5:05:02 PM  Show Profile
Our dream farm is our cabin, finished, with the windmill and solar system up and running, a well drilled, the barn finished, the root cellar finished, a greenhouse next to the big garden, and a horse for each of us grazing out in the front pasture. Most of all, it's both of us, not working, but living on his small (and I mean small) retirement because we have paid all our bills off and only need money for daily expenses.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Your Dream or Current Farm Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page