Page: of 5

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2006 :  12:22:17 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
I looked all the way back to Jan of this year..and the closest thing I found was a place were those who have a farm already could talk about it. So many have joined since then, myself included, that we did not get to read those....and what about us that don't have our dream farm yet? What are your dreams? So I thought we could all post together!!

For those of you that have a farm...what is it like?
And for those of us that don't...what are your dreams like?

Can't wait to hear!!!
Hugz!!

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2006 :  01:22:28 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
My dream farm would be on at least 15 acres. If we build, a victorian home with a lot of porches, painted white with hunter green trim and shutters. If not I would love any old farm house with characture that I can fix up. Inside a large country kitchen is a must! I want white cabinets with green granite or similar look sufaces and some dark wood features. I want a fully functioning dual powered kitchen. For example,I want a great stove, but also a large wood cookstove. A refrigerator, and an old ice box etc... a big pantry with top quality insulation for climate control is a must!! And a butler's pantry for all my serving ware and linins!Of course room for several people to cook at the same time or just hang out and chat. And my table! I want a table that can seat at least 12 people made from re-claimed barn wood polished with bee's wax. I want to be able to heat the home with wood if need be, but feel really good insulation is very important to keep all cost down. I want a rec room for more sport and such get togethers and a "girlie" room for my girlfriends and I to hang out and make stuff and eat and just be girls!! Also if we have the space a library with floor to ceiling bookcases and 2 seperate guest rooms so any time someone wants to come visit they can be very comfortable and either be a total part of the family or totally get away and just rest and let the surroundings heal their soul!
Outside I want berries growing up many of our fences, fruit trees all over, grape arbors, pecan trees and walnut trees if our zone allows or can find any hardy enough, wonderfully landscaped yard (done by us so will take time and lots of work but that's ok!!) full of bird houses, butterfly houses (on a different side!lol), bat houses, toad houses, and places to relax and enjoy the great outdoors like gazebos, hamocks, swings, and seats, and of course a Fairy garden ,and a children's yard and garden as well! A large garden with raised beds, an orchard, Butterfly garden, Humming bird garden, Three themed gardens (Oriental, Cuban, and English to honor our family history), rice paddy, green house, and a subterrain greenhouse for tropical trees. A pond with a few ducks for Michael (my special little one..he LOVES ducks!) A chicken coop that is decorated inside with left over tiles so it is wonderful and neat to look at and be in but VERY easy to preasure wash and disinfect! I want to fill it with Banties! They stole my heart a long time ago and I can't wait to have some of my own! And of course they, the chickens, must have three outdoor yards that are well protected from harm, so they can be rotated and I know they are as safe as I can make them. And of course close to my garden so when I am out they can wander about and help with the bugs! And of course a garden shed by the garden (would love it to be made like the old english cottages with straw roofs!) Of course I want a barn to house my milk cow, and a pony and or horse for the family and if I go hard core, draft animals. I also may HAVE to get a miniture donkey, a few miniture sheep, a few miniture goats... (see a patteren here? I love either really big ie Shires and Belgians or really little!! lol) Would divide my pasture into seven if I can so I can rotate my animals every day so the land can be healthy and the pasture hold out better. I am leaning toward a miniature jersey for our cow but still am reading SO many things am not set in concrete yet! Am also thinking about keeping the bull if I can raise him so I do not deal with AI and not knowing the bull and what it is being fed and treated with etc. I want a few bee hives for honey too! I would love a few water features one of which I want to be a koi pond. I love them! Roses are a must as well as Honeysuckle bushes! A BIG compost pile. And since it is my dream...a place were I can launch a canoe and take my kids nature watching!!

So in a nut shell...there is my dream! I have been "learning" towards it for years and have two journals and tons of books and magazines all ready for the day I can put the book smarts to real smarts!! I know how much to grow of what for our family etc... I am so excited and trying to prepare in every way I can. My husband is very supportive but not really whole hearted into this so he will work the whole time which will really help financially because I am a SAHM and so we will be fine until I can find some way to maybe make a little on the side or learn how to make sure it all equals out in the end!
I can not wait to hear all about your places or dreams!!!
Hugz!!!

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"

Edited by - Buttercup on Aug 05 2006 01:24:46 AM
Go to Top of Page

Kelly43
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

NJ
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2006 :  07:18:34 AM  Show Profile
Buttercup, it sounds just perfect!!! Can I move in with you? The only thing I might look for is an old historic farm house. I love things that have history and you just wish the walls could talk. I love the way you have designed the inside, especially the kitchen. My dream is to have a wood cookstove in the kitchen. Heating the house with wood is like no other, it gives the house such a warm cozy feeling. I think I would like to have at least 25-30 acres so we could have a hay field to provide winter feed for our animals. My animals would all be original american breeds. The livestock conservancy can give you a list of those. Although the thought of stocking a farm with minatures is very appealing too! I would visit farm auctions to furnish the house with all kinds of farmhouse "antiques". You know, "one mans junk is another man's treasure". Ok I have an idea why don't all us farmgirls just buy a whole state and we can all have our dreams. Maybe Idaho so we could be close to MJ (lol). Thanks for dreaming with me. I hope all your dreams come true!!
Kelly
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2006 :  08:11:07 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Kelly,
I love your ideas!! I love antiquing and flea market shopping so though I have never tried auctions, I think I would like them too. And when it comes to acreage, the more the better(with some limits of course!) I just don't want less then 15. And the American livestock is a very interesting thought, I will have to look that up!! Thanks for stoping a moment to dream with me!!! So neat!!
Hugz!

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2006 :  09:25:38 AM  Show Profile
Your dream farm sounds wonderful Talitha!
My dream is different..I guess everyone's is!
My dream has always been to have my grandparent's old place, but since that isn't possible I have a house that is similar. I fell in love with this old beat up house right away when I saw it and I NEVER want to move again. I don't want to even think about it. I only have 2/3 of an acre here, and would prefer 5 acres..that was my old dream...but at this point I have all I want right here. I could clear an area for more garden than I have this year..and I may get to that next spring. I have my jersey cow (that was always part of the dream) and chickens and sheep (only three but they are the best three little ewes) and plan to get some ducks again.
I have had sort of versions of my dream many times over the years but this is the closest ever and I am so content here. I would love to have more acreage, but only if it were right around THIS house..haha
Kelly...I love that you want your animals to be all american breeds!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2006 :  6:50:35 PM  Show Profile
What a lovely (dream) farm, Buttercup! I jotted down some of your ideas -- I hope you don't mind -- to keep in mind this winter as we're planning for Spring and beyond.

My current farm has been ours since April 27 and is 46 acres in the middle of a very rural county. Nobody has farmed it, taken care of it, lived on it, etc., for at least 50 years, so there's lots to be done. We've been clearing brush and dead stuff, bush-hogging what will be our "front yard", and doing lots of general clean-up.

We're on the list at the COnservation Dept to get a pond (the lady who does the planning estimates it will be about a 5-acre lake ) and we should be doing that in 2 summers. We want to have goats a some cows, chickens, and ducks. Also, our dream is to have a nice large vegetable garden, growing enough produce to can/freeze to eat year round, fruit trees, more berries, lots of flowers, and a pool. Okay, the pool is more my dream than my dh's, but he's agreed to it when we can afford it.

As for our house, I want it to be cozy and comfortable, and I want it to be decorated only with things that have meaning for us or that we love -- nothing there just for the sake of having it. Lots of pictures of family, that sort of thing. I love bright colors, like you find in wildflowers, hardwood floors and warm rugs. We'll have wood heat, and I've already bought my clawfoot tub. My dream is to find either an old woodstove that's been converted to electric or a new electric stove that's looks like an old wood stove.

Okay, I've gone on and one. Now it's someone else's turn!

Some people search for happiness; others create it.

http://happymama58.typepad.com/my_weblog/
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2006 :  8:14:11 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Jenny,
That would have been so neat if you had been able to get your grandparents place, but I think it is awsome that you were able to find one that reminds you of it to claim as your own!! I have visited your page saveral times and I think it is wonderful what you have done with what you have! (and I love your firepit!! I will have to borrow that idea for my place too! ) Mona is so sweet and I enjoyed talking with you before about her and the milk production etc... Is there anyway that you could one day have another 4.25 acres to add to yours so you could expand some? I sure hope so, because it sounds like you have found your dream home!! Are your sheep just for pets or do you spin their wool or sell it?

Thank you so much for stoping to dream and share you reality and dreams with us!!!
Hugz!!

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2006 :  8:25:55 PM  Show Profile
I don't see how I could add on acreage where we are...I will have to be content with what we have I think. It is fun to see what all we can do on a small place too.
Oh I do spin the wool from my sheep. I forgot to mention my little spoiled angora goat, Pearl, too. I also spin her wool (mohair) and knit with it, and hope to soon be doing more than a little weaving too. My black ewe Trixie is such a pet. I would keep her even if she were the only one..she is by far the friendliest. I have had her mother Juliet since she was a lamb 6 years ago but little Trixie is the sweetest one. My other little ewe lamb is Carla..who was born in March. She is dark brown right now, but will no doubt fade to a chocolate milk color called Moorit like her mom later on. Trixie has stayed very black, which is fun.
We are loving having that little fire pit..had relatives over and ate supper around it tonight..what fun!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2006 :  8:28:26 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Patti,
Of course not!! jot away...I get all kinds of ideas here that of course I add to my own list!

That pond sounds wonderful! I am so glad you will have one! Do you know what kind of ducks you will get? I think 46 acres is great! my childhood farm was 40 and I always thought it was a good size for a hobby farm. I came up with 15 acres after reading and knowing what I had to have and what I might have and what I needed to fulfill that...hence the number 15...but I will be thrilled if we come across a bigger place! As for canning, I LOVE to can! I used to do it a lot before my first little one came around. But I am looking forward to doing it again and filling my pantry with dried and canned goods to last the year through!! Home made IS best made!! I also agree with you on the picking things to furnish your home that you love!! I could not agree more! I think a home should be filled with what you love! And of course photos and hardwood floors and warm cozy rugs...ohhh so nice! Isn't a clawfoot tub a must on a farm?!? So neat that you have it already! I have seen those stoves that look like antique wood cook stoves but are really gas or electric. They are lovely and I think that will be wonderful in your kitchen!

Thank you so much for sharing! And all the best as you are turning your land into your dream!!!
Hugz!!

Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2006 :  8:51:56 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Jenny,
So neat!! I love your fire pit! It seems it was the perfect addition to your place!
About spinning, how much wool do you get from one sheep..in simple terms,Cuz I do not know anything about this...enough to knit a hat, sweater, afgan?? Would love to know!!
As for the size of you land, Just my HO but you have a wonderful spread!! All the pictures I have seen are just lovely!!So if you are happy... I am thrilled!!!

Thanks again for sharing!
Hugz,
Talitha

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2006 :  9:50:19 PM  Show Profile
My sheep are smallish...2 Icelandics and Carla is 1/2 Iclandic 1/2 Navajo churro. They each produce enough for a large adult sweater for sure each shearing (twice a year) but I am more likely to knit socks and winter caps. I am so far behind in spinning right now..I spin alot more in winter for some reason. One cool thing about my sheep..the icelandics anyhow..it remains to be seen with Carla..she will get sheared in Sept for the first time...they have a double coat that can be separated into two very different yarns..one soft and lofty and wonderful and one strong and silky. I get at least as much mohair from little pearl too. I really want to get a white ram. I gave away last year's ram when I got Mona. My sis in law has him here in town. If I don't get a ram before fall I will borrow him to breed Juliet and Trixie for sure. We will see.

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2006 :  10:16:17 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
..oh ok... I do not know if I will ever spin and crochet/knit but I have often thought about it... I love afgans though and that would be what I would want...afgans, hats and scarves!! That is so neat that you are able to do that! Are your sheep expecting or are you planning to buy a ram?
Thanks Again!

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2006 :  10:51:47 PM  Show Profile
I need to get a ram this year. I don't breed them until October or November..they are pregnant for 5 months (you probably knew that..sorry if you did) and I like spring lambs no earlier than March. Mona will hopefully be having a May calf this year. Last time it was March 2nd..too early..but she came pregnant. I get a little more say this year. She will be bred on her next heat..next weekend by AI. It is all aranged, all I have to do is call the guy to come out when she is ready.
I never seem to keep rams very long. They either get aggressive or destructive so they stay no more than 2 years and then I get a young one. So I am hoping to get a new young white Icelandic ram this year. I thought I had one located but it fell through so I am looking. If I can't find one I will borrow back Dooley, the Churro ram from my sis in law for this year.

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2006 :  11:14:21 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
So you sell Mona's babies? And then the rams ..I don't blame you!!! lol ... If you had more room would you keep a ram or do they always get so unruly? No I did not remember how long sheep were pergnant..I am sure I have read it..but not on the tip of my mind! So thank you for the tidbit!! I am sorry that one fell through..but I hope you find one soon!!
Thank You!!!
Talitha

Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2006 :  11:35:54 PM  Show Profile
What a great topic!! I love reading about other people's dreams. Jenny, just reading yours makes me feel so contented. What a wonderful life you have.

My dream is to own my own place again. We lived in Vancouver which about 155,000 people. Three years ago we sold our home but have not been able to buy again because the housing prices are so high here. We are renting a home on 5 acres now but the property will be developed in the Spring of 2007. So we know we're going to have to move. For that reason I've not gotten animals or chickens.

Ny dream is to have about 2 to 5 acres -- just enough so that I could have chickens, goats, a horse for Stephanie, and a place for a big garden. I would have a really cute chicken coop for my girls and a small red and white barn for the other animals. I'd plant sunflowers, cutting flowers, pumpkins, and other vegetables in my garden. Then I'd have a roadside stand where I could sell my purses, lotion bars, and other bath products plus the goodies from the garden. And I'd take things on consignment from other local people so they could have a place to sell their things too. And I would have to have a fire pit like Jenny's -- love that!

Not sure where this place will be or when it will happen but it's so fun to talk about it. And I believe that by putting your dreams in writing it will make them happen.

Lotion bars, linen spray, and purses in my online shop at http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

Read my ramblings at http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2006 :  11:53:11 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Kay,
That sounds wonderful!! I do so hope it comes true soon! Cutting flowers and a little farm stand sound just perfect!! And I think that is great that you would provide a place for other creative gals to sell their homemade wares!! Red and white barns are such classics! And I think cute coops are the way to go!! What kind of goats and chickens have stole your heart?

And yes, isn't Jenny's fire pit lovely!!
Thank you so much for stopping by to dream!! I always feel dreams give life flight!!
Hugz Always!!
Talitha

Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2006 :  1:48:23 PM  Show Profile
What a fun thread. You all have given me a huge smile! I, too, love Jenny's fire pit. And, Jenny, what you accomplish always has my head shaking. You're so productive on 2/3 acre, whatever would you do with 5? LOL

Our property is two houses (inlaws lived next door), and the set-up is great in some ways, but awkward in others. For instance, the garden is way in back of this house, behind my DH's workshop... but there's an irrigating well nearby. So, that's where I'd like the chicken coop and two runs alongside two sides of the garden... with doorways so the chickens can be let into the garden in different areas to help weed :)

The stable and barns are behind the house next door, which has a good size wood lot between the two houses with a path. Behind the barn in the field is a rich area for cows to graze.... The drawback is how far it is from this house in case of an emergency. For that matter, the chicken coop is pretty far away and out of sight. (make that "potential coop".) Our back yard has been gradually made flower gardens, with flowering shrubs and perennials and self-seeding annuals. It nearly takes care of itself, but chickens in the yard full time would almost certainly destroy it, from what I've heard.

On the far side of the other house is a nice pond, which I think would do well for ducks: wild mallards, Canadian geese and herons visit regularly, but snapping turtles reign in the pond, and the babies disappear. So, I think we should make snapper soup out of the turtles, and keep ducks and geese.... who could march right up to the stable when they want cover... and sleep with the cows.

Dreaming IS great, Talitha!

Ann

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

katiedid
True Blue Farmgirl

601 Posts

Kate
West Jordan Utah
USA
601 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2006 :  3:07:15 PM  Show Profile
Well, since I am a farm girl living in the big city, this is my dream farm....I hope to find a way to make the dream come true, and soon!!

About 2-5 acres. I would like to have 1 acre be the kitchen garden, I want to grow EVERYTHING! All of the food for my family, pretty cutting flowers, herbs etc..I would love to keep hens, a goat or two, sheep for the wool, 2 horses, and of course a milk cow. And a pig and a beef each year....I want to be able to grow our own food.
I want my home to be a big old farmhouse, or a little old farmhouse, but hey, let's dream big. A big blue farmhouse with white and country red trim...you know that cranberry red color. And the front door will be cranberry too. I want a big kitchen with lots of cupboards and a big china closet. A big table for all of to visit and eat around. A big old wood stove with a tea kettle on it...let's see, an outside kitchen space for canning, a fire pit, a big patio with a porch swing and rocking chairs.
Oh, and most important a big workshop for dh, so he has a place to keep all of his tools and machines....they live in the garage right now....and you know, I am not sure my farmhouse will have a garage, most of them don't....I guess if we build a home we'll have a garage, if not...a carport.
Mostly, I just want a home, a farm; where life is about family, about love, about being together. A haven away from the world, somewhere that we want to be, a place that friends and family will want to visit, "come on in, put your feet up, leave your worries at the door" THAT is the dream home I dream of.......
Kate
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2006 :  6:01:23 PM  Show Profile
I love any kind of chicken but am partial to Buff Orpingtons and Barred Rock. And as far as goats -- I'm a definite Nubian fan. Missy has one and I just adore her. Not to mention how good the milk tastes!

Lotion bars, linen spray, and purses in my online shop at http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

Read my ramblings at http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2006 :  6:57:35 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Ann, your place sounds really nice! How many acres do you have and how long have you been there? I am vegetarian lol so I would have to pass on the snapper soup ..but I am with you on movin' them! I love a pond with a few ducks and swans! Such a feast for the eyes! I understand what you mean about the distance of the barn and pasture from you though, I have always heard you should be able to see it...maybe a herd or livestock guard dog would work that way they could bark if something was wrong?? In any case, it sounds very nice! I love the pond and woods and path and flower gardens..they all sound so wonderful!! Thank you so much for sharing!!!

And yes...I love your point about Jenny...heavens only knows what she would have on 5 acres!!!

Hugz to all and keep dreaming!!
Talitha

Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2006 :  7:20:00 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Kate,
Your place sounds lovely!!!! Farm houses are so full of history and life and seem such a part of their surroundings!! I think it is wonderful that you will find one and make it your own! And yes...a BIG one!! The colors you picked sound so American!! I think it will be just lovely! A one acre garden..wow! That is big and sounds wonderful!! You will be able to grow so much!! And a big yes to cutting flowers and herbs too! Rocking chairs...how did I forget to mention those..they are essential! I love porches and outdoor places with rocking chairs and swings!! Your patio will be a wonderful place to relax...maybe I can come over for a glass of lemonaid and a long farmgirl chat?!? I think being able to provide all your own food is very healthy and it is so wonderful you are working toward that! Are you going to grow your own grains too? I have thought of that often but am still not sure as then you need a tractor or draft animals etc...but if I could handle it, I would love to! And yes a workshop for DH is very important! I love the image of a tea kettle on a wood stove, it sounds so homey and cozy! An outdoor kitchen I think is a great idea for outdoor entertaining and such and I was actually really leaning toward an outdoor kitchen and summer kitchen for canning..because who wants to do that in the house when it is SO hot!!! Were you thinking of combining the functions or was your outside kitchen just for canning? Most of all I loved that you wrote that you want your place to be a "Haven away from the world"!! What a wonderful goal!! And I am sure it will be!!

Oh I hope your dream comes true soon!! I think when I get back to the States I should just go around and visit everyone's farm/farmette and as those of us who are dreaming start making those dreams reality...stop by too because I think I would learn a ton and gain the neatest ideas too!! Not to mention meeting all of you and gaining a deeper friendship!!
Thank you for sharing!! It was Wonderful to read!
Hugz,
Talitha

Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2006 :  7:24:26 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Kay,
Nubian...you know I have never had goat milk in my life! Am wondering if I sould have a milk goat too and stagger with the cow to give milk during eachothers "down" time...does anyone do this? Anyway, I will go look at some pictures now and see what you are talking about! As for the chickens...lol..I do know what those are and they are both beautiful!! I do so hope it all works out for you very soon!!!
Hugz!!

Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2006 :  7:32:35 PM  Show Profile
Talitha, we bought 2 acres from DH's parents, who had 7, in 1977. Then they bought the farm when the owner died... who had sold off the roadage lot by lot, so the total they had was, I believe, around 37 acres. We bought out my BIL after they died, so now it's a fraction under 40. Phil says 20 is in field, which is where the vegetable garden is. A lot of the field is a sand hill where he'd like a small vineyard. We keep having health issues which set us back from moving ahead on major changes, and we do all the work ourselves.... and a roof next door is near the top of the list. So, I am dreaming and hoping! I want the satisfaction of knowing the tired old sandy field has been made better by our having had it, and definitely want to hold onto farmland, which is getting really scarce with development.
I'm interested in a guard dog, but confess I'm used to dogs inside and treated like children rather than working animals... and I think Phil's even worse. :( However, it makes a lot of sense. Oh, he's also in his spare time renovating this house, and nearly has my sewing room/loft finished. His library is next, and finally, a new kitchen. We are definitely stay at home folks. I should add that years ago I learned to operate on a permanent five year plan. Whenever anyone asks me when we plan to have a project finished, I answer, in five years. It greatly helps my patience. LOL
Hugs back at ya!
Ann

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2006 :  7:51:22 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Ann,
That is a good size! Oh and I am so excited for you that he made you a sewing room!!! I think that is wonderful! I have my "own" room for the first time since I was a kid here and I craft and write and read there and soon will be online up there, I LOVE it!! It is filled with my teddy bear and doll collection and books and throws and pillows..it is so lady like and girlie all at the same time and I love it!!! And a library...oh how wonderful!! I LOVE books!
LOL on your 5 yr plan...that is good though, then if it is done early you have a great reason to celebrate!!!
Hugz Always,
Talitha

Go to Top of Page

frannie
True Blue Farmgirl

2246 Posts

fran
bonham texas
USA
2246 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2006 :  11:11:50 PM  Show Profile  Send frannie a Yahoo! Message
i love this topic, i wish i could post some pics of our farm, but i havent figured that out yet.
our farm sits on 16 acreas, 6 acreas of pasture, and a 10 acrea woodlot. the house is right in the middle of the woodlot with a long winding road through the woods.
we have aracuana chikens, angora goats(10), an endless supply of hobo cats/kittens(we try to keep it under 10).
our house is actually 2 itinerat farm houses that were put together some time in the 40's and this was originally a "poker house" on 100 acreas, at least that is what the oldtimers tell me. it is a cottage in every sense of the word as it was never meant to be a full time home, but it is!it is a bout 800 square feet, and 800 square feet of screened in porch. sometimes i call it the inside out house.it is cramped, but the land helps in that area, and we have an outside shower and bathtub in what our olivia calls"the castle garden complete with christmas lights for those nighttime showers.
we've been here for 10 years and while we havent accomplished what i wanted to, an organic truck farm, we have both had crazy health problems, cared for 4 children and now have 5 grandchildren under the age of 5, cared for 2 of our parents during their passing, just tried to keep this place going.
we did accomplish some of our dreams, last year my dh framed in part of the porch for my craftroom.
we finally had a nice garden this year that was not so labor intensive and even grew some cut flowers.
our biggest new project was moving in 2 small shotgun houses to redo in what we like to call "sharecropper chic". we would like to set them up as weekend rentals for people who would like to come to the farm for a getaway.
all of the projects are pretty slow going, but we try to do them ourselves and money is an object......that we could use more of! but as i tell my kids we dont have much money.....but boy are we rich.
thanks for letting me share, this was fun.....i love the farm!
fran
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2006 :  11:59:43 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Fran,
How neat!! Such history in your place!! I love the outdoor bath facilities! I know some have them and they are so cute and primitive yet so relaxing and homey!! I love cottages! I also love the idea you all have for the little cabins! Maybe when I tour I can stay in one! do you spin the angora? How wonderful that you have a craftroom!! I love having one even though I have a few things to add yet. When you figure it out please post a photo I would love ot see it!!!
Thank you so much for stoping by to share!! I hope all your dreams come true with your place!!
Hugz!
Talitha

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Your Dream or Current Farm Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page