Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 Movies that make you want to move...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Movies that make you want to move... Next Topic
Page: of 2

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2011 :  4:05:34 PM  Show Profile
Just watched Legends of the Fall (For like the hundredth time) and I really would just LOVE to live up in Canada where they filmed this!! Their little homestead is so gorgeous! What movies (And where they were filmed at) made you want to pic up and move?

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2011 :  7:47:25 PM  Show Profile
While not a movie (just yet...lol) I look at all of the beautiful pictures of MaryJanes Farm and it makes me wish I were there in a heartbeat! Just saw the pictures of her riding one of her horses LB in a wheat field and thought...WOW I cant believe that is real. Just gorgeous scenery- like you would see in a movie set- only its REAL!!!!!! All of the gorgeous pictures in her magazines and books make me drool- but at the same time they give me peace and seem to slow me down and help me realize all that is special and important in my life.
Smiles,

~Laurie
"Little Hen House on the Island"
Farmgirl Sister#1403

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..

Edited by - laurentany on Sep 05 2011 7:51:12 PM
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2011 :  8:28:47 PM  Show Profile
Out of Africa-So much so that I did go! It is al I thought and more. I had to remind myself I was not at a theme park. It was real!
A River Runs Through It- Love those rivers!
Just two off the top of my head.
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2011 :  9:37:29 PM  Show Profile
Oh gosh..so many..let's see..Sound of Music, 13th Warrior, Lord of the Rings. Pretty much any movie with mountains or a long history. I grew up around beaches and sand and it's nothing fun having sand in every crook and cranny of your house and body.

~FarmDream is Farmgirl Sister #3069

Live Today, Cherish Yesterday, Dream Tomorrow

http://naturaljulie.etsy.com
http://julie-rants.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2011 :  06:32:41 AM  Show Profile
LOL! I am glad I'm not the only one seeing a movie and saying that! For me, it was Bridges Of Madison County. I'm not crazy about the subject, but I fell in love with the scenery in that film, and Iowa is on my bucket list of places to visit! I even sent away for the state travel guide a few years ago. Anyone live there? Does it still look like it did in the movie? I also love Francesca's aprons and kitchen...lots of great flea market vintage finds in there! One of my favorite cookbooks is also from the caterers who made all the food for the film. Best meatloaf ever!

Nicole

PS Connie, I've never been to Africa, but have been to Karen Blixen's estate in Denmark. Got to buy coffee from her farm in Africa. Her Danish estate was lovely, too.

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/
Go to Top of Page

mountaingirl
Farmgirl in Training

22 Posts

Jennifer
Conifer CO
USA
22 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2011 :  07:02:30 AM  Show Profile
The Notebook without hesitation. Not only do I want to move there, I want to transport back in time to the 40's as well!

Jennifer

Have your heart right with Christ and He will visit you often, and so turn weekdays into Sundays, meals into sacraments, homes into temples and earth into heaven.
~Charles Spurgeon

Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2011 :  07:34:18 AM  Show Profile
Brokeback Mountain is set in some beautiful country, too. Braveheart, too! While my husband and I were watching "Legends of the Fall" we were saying how great our place would look if we had three or four people working for us like they did. LOL.

Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
Go to Top of Page

Melina
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Melina

USA
435 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2011 :  08:44:25 AM  Show Profile
The Quiet Man. I want that little cottage, those roses, the village of caring people.

The morning breeze has secrets to tell you. Do not go back to sleep.
Rumi
Go to Top of Page

blackfell_farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

96 Posts

Casey
Chandler AZ
USA
96 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2011 :  10:27:57 AM  Show Profile  Click to see blackfell_farmgirl's MSN Messenger address  Send blackfell_farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Last of the Dog Men! I love the mountains in that movie, also Stargate (TV show) which was/is filmed around Vancouver BC. I must admit to Legends as well, as a movie called An Unfinished Life, also with Robert Redford. So basically anything with Mountains and trees and rain and mist! (13th Warrior is my list as well!!)

blackfell_farmgirl

HorseCrazy!
Go to Top of Page

JessieLovesToCraft
True Blue Farmgirl

115 Posts

Jessie
Loxahatchee FL
USA
115 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2011 :  11:43:33 AM  Show Profile
Lord of the rings definitely! New Zealand is SO beautiful. Also- not a movie, but the TV show Gilmore Girls. I would LOVE to live in Stars Hallow or any small, quite, yet fun town with quirky people :)

Farmgirl Sister #3404
Jessie

A wise girl knows her limits, but a real girl realizes she doesn't have any!
Go to Top of Page

Tea Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

645 Posts

Lorraine
Morris IL
USA
645 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2011 :  5:31:34 PM  Show Profile
The Sense and Sensibility with Emma Thompson - loved England and those old houses. I've been there several times and would love to live there - especially in the Cotswolds... Aaahhhh...

Connie - yes to Out of Africa. The first time I saw it was at the movies on the big screen - I fell in love... How nice for you that you were able to visit. It must have been a memorable experience.

And who remembers On Golden Pond? Loved the scenery...

Lorraine
(aka Tea Lady)
Farmgirl #1819
www.birdsandteas.com
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2011 :  5:47:31 PM  Show Profile
"Practical Magic"!!! the house and town was supposed to be on the east coast, but was filmed on "San Juan Island" Washington...Legends also was beautiful, plus "The Man From Snowy River" in the mountains of Australia there are many more, but titles evade me at the moment...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

henlady35904
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Kim
Gadsden Alabama
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2011 :  6:08:05 PM  Show Profile
Under the Tuscan Sun!!! Would pack my bags tonight.

Farmgirl Sister #2667
Go to Top of Page

vmfein
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Valerie
Dale City VA
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2011 :  06:04:31 AM  Show Profile
here is a link to madison county website;

http://madisoncounty.com/

Farmgirl Sister #2619

http://www.etsy.com/shop/vmfein
Go to Top of Page

beekeepersgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1423 Posts

Luanne
Cresco PA
USA
1423 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2011 :  09:31:46 AM  Show Profile
Think I'd like to go back in time too - and live with Andy, Opie & Aunt Bea in Mayberry! Hey, Barney!

Luanne

beekeepersgirl #691

Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.
Go to Top of Page

caitlinsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

86 Posts

Kim
St.A Idaho
USA
86 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2011 :  10:39:25 AM  Show Profile
A Life Unfinished, Flicka, Cider House Rules, and The Notebook. I want solitude and fresh air (the first 2 choices) or history and beautiful fall seasons.

My dream place would exist in the middle of no where with a lake. Perfection!

www.imnaturallysimple.com
SIMPLIFY!
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2011 :  3:21:23 PM  Show Profile
The movies really make me love Argentina! (House of Spirits-while I may not like the plot, the country was amazing!)
Europe can be gorgeous, but it seems like there would be too many people in France or the UK for a rural girl like me to really enjoy it. Argentina however just seems to roll endlessly!

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi
http://silvermoonfarm.blogspot.com/
"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2011 :  5:29:19 PM  Show Profile
Anne of Green Gables. Time and place. Although I must admit I prefer my West to the East but I don't know if there are any movies set in the North Peace. You've made me homesick thinking of the mighty Peace River and all the beauty of the Rocky Mountains. :)

Excuse the mess & the noise, my children are making happy memories
Go to Top of Page

FarmGirlonPark
Farmgirl in Training

30 Posts

Kelda
Des Moines Iowa
USA
30 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2011 :  10:47:38 AM  Show Profile
I liked where they lived on The Secret Life of Bees or Fried Green Tomatoes, where they vacationed in Dan in Real Life or the Ya Ya Sisterhood and a road trip like Bonneville or The Family that Preys...basically as long as it's in a big ol' convertable!

And for Nicole (texdane)...

I live in Iowa and feel very fortunate that in a very short time I can drive to a modern and trendy shopping center, clean downtown that encourages green living and creativity, the east village but then not so far away you can see horses, rugged fences, great old barns, grasses blowing in the breeze and trees as far as the eyes can see. I would have to say I get more inspiration from my drives in the country...but even in town there is so much diversity and people are (for the most part) small town friendly. We were lucky enough to find an acre in town that is surrounded by trees and a creek so I get the best of both worlds. I'm slowly turning the acre into my very own little farm, which thankfully is acceptable in Des Moines for the most part (probably no cows, pigs or horses)...but I feel very blessed. I know there are many, many places that are similar...what an awesome country we live in (again, for the most part)! ;)

Long story short, I think if you visited Iowa, you wouldn't be disappointed. :)

God Bless & Happy Trails!
Kelda
Farmgirl on Park

Edited by - FarmGirlonPark on Sep 09 2011 08:35:03 AM
Go to Top of Page

Cherime
True Blue Farmgirl

1222 Posts

Cherime
Wasilla Alaska
USA
1222 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2011 :  1:53:22 PM  Show Profile
Way up in northern Scotland the population is fairly sparse. Also the Isle of Syke was wonderful with marvelous people. I had lost my wallet with all our money and a waitress at a local place found it on her way home, walking turned it in to the police station. The lovely people at the B&B were going to let us stay there for free until we could get all sorted out but called us to the phone later to let us know the local constable had been calling all the B&Bs in the village looking for us. We went to collect the wallet and everything was there.

CMF
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2011 :  4:36:22 PM  Show Profile
Isn't that awesome?!

Oh! Add The Princess Pride to the list of cool places to live that were in films.

Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2011 :  8:03:46 PM  Show Profile
Oh yes, Prince Edward Island. If I could ever convince the Canadian government to let us emigrate there and hubby to go! LOL!! Bet it's cold though!!

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi
"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2011 :  8:39:00 PM  Show Profile
Jen, compared to AZ, YUP it's cold!!! It's a damp cold being as it's an island in the Atlantic. I'm from the other side of the country and where I'm from is a dry cold. So colder temps but maybe not as chilling to the bone. Maybe I can convince my husband to let me move back home and then we could be neighbors, kinda. :)

Excuse the mess & the noise, my children are making happy memories
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2011 :  9:39:34 PM  Show Profile
I'm from Coastal Oregon originally, so I know all about damp, if not heavy cold! I'm a suffering duck out of water down here in the SW desert :(

Go to Top of Page

Marcia30
True Blue Farmgirl

159 Posts

Marcia
Mt. Carmel IL
USA
159 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2011 :  12:29:04 PM  Show Profile
For me it would have to be Wyoming. I would just love to move there. The movies An Unfinished life and Flicka would have to be my all time favorite wanna move movies. It is just so beautiful up there and knowing that i could slap on my cowboy boots go out at dawn jump on a horse and round up cattle would be just heaven for me.

I am loving fall and all the wonderful colors and of course my Hot Tub!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

emtfarmer
True Blue Farmgirl

222 Posts

Darlene
North Carolina
USA
222 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2011 :  5:07:22 PM  Show Profile
"Baby Boom"! Made Vermont look perfect, even with the plaid! Of course, Sam Shepherd would make me want to move there too!

Darlene

"Support your local fire departments and rescue squads...volunteers making a difference"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Movies that make you want to move... Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page