walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2011 :  6:31:34 PM  Show Profile
So, last week a guy that seemed high and/or mentally ill walked up our GATED 1 mile long driveway and spoke with my husband. My husband warned him not to come back up here.

Well, since then, our mailbox has been smashed-twice-and that guy was seen earlier today walking up our road screaming obsenities.

We now know that the man that lives in the house this guy is staying in is missing some guns (The man that lives there is sick with cancer-I guess this guy is staying there to help with things or visiting someone that's living with him).

ANYWAY, my point is: he's walked past a locked gate with a NO TRESPASSING sign on it. He's been warned not to come up here. What are my rights now, as a landowner? We've called the family of the people that live down there and asked them to make sure he knows not to come up here and to leave our property alone.

I'm very upset/disturbed about this, especially knowing he has guns. I mean, we have guns, but all I can see in my mind is that "In Cold Blood" book. UGH.

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2011 :  6:37:26 PM  Show Profile
call your local law enforcement-inform them of all that has happened-ask their take on it......

Farmgirl # 2139
~*~ counting my pennies and biding my time; my dreams are adding up!~*~
Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2011 :  6:54:00 PM  Show Profile
I agree with Margo, call the police and let them know the facts and ask for assistance.

Excuse the mess & the noise, my children are making happy memories
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2011 :  7:12:13 PM  Show Profile
I will "third" what those ahead of my have said. Call the local law enforcement. They should be able to advise you, and it will help them to know in case there are other issues going on with this person. For instance, he might be harrassing people other around you. UGH. What a nasty situation! I hope you can get some help for it and don't have to worry about it anymore! :)

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com

www.thehmmmschoolingmom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2011 :  7:47:16 PM  Show Profile
And not only do you want to call to make sure of your rights, but you want to call EVERY time so you have a record going. If it were to come to a life and death situation where you/your husband had to protect you and your family and there is no previous recording of it with the local police, they could question weather you were really in threat or not. But, if they have a record of things, then they can at least see you tried other avenues before...possibly having to shoot him.....or what ever is in your rights.

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2011 :  10:00:10 PM  Show Profile
Please be careful! Doors locked etc. There used to be a guy that lived across the hill from us that had Turret's syndrome. He was also an addict. He was really scary when on a rampage. His mom came over while we were moving in to let us know about him so we would not shoot him! That was before we met the drunk family down the road.
I agree that you need to let the local sheriff/police know what happens as it happens. Make sure they know you are afraid. Perhaps they have info you should know about. Let us know how it goes.
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

Dorinda
True Blue Farmgirl

1023 Posts

Dorinda
St. Cloud Florida
USA
1023 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2011 :  05:42:26 AM  Show Profile
I agree with everyone! Call the police!!! How scary.......

Seize The Day!
Dorinda
Go to Top of Page

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2011 :  05:51:22 AM  Show Profile
Call the police and emphasize your fear of this man. Find out what the law is regarding protecting your home and famiy. What a scary situation!

~ Elaine
Farmgirl sister #2822

"Find yourself a cup of tea; the teapot is behind you. Now tell me about hundreds of things." ~Saki

http://embchicken.blogspot.com
http://gusandtrudy.blogspot.com
http://embchicken-thechubbychicken.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2011 :  05:59:27 AM  Show Profile
im glad that heather mentioned that you call EVERY time-- you need a "paper trail" on this!!!!

Farmgirl # 2139
~*~ counting my pennies and biding my time; my dreams are adding up!~*~
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2011 :  1:56:06 PM  Show Profile
call the police/sheriffs dept NOW...and keep a loaded gun close by at all times...do you have dogs that will bark if he comes around...make sure everything is locked up, house doors/windows, barns/sheds/garage etc, and leave outside lights ALL on at night, all night...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2011 :  2:16:48 PM  Show Profile
You cannot be sure that the police are keeping a record of your calls, so you have to keep a record too. I can feel the fear in your writing and you need to know what is right and legal to do.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2011 :  5:20:07 PM  Show Profile
We called the Sherriff's Office-they said they were too busy to do anything about it. I'll call tomorrow to see if I can get one of them to go over my "rights" with me.

Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2011 :  6:09:19 PM  Show Profile
Betty is right as well, to keep a diary of it. I have heard people being convicted (the bad guys) soley on the diary of what was kept.

I will never forget a Oprah show where a husband video taped beating his wife! They did NOT allow the videos into his court case! Yet, her co-worker kept a diary of every time the wife came in beat up. She didn't tell the wife. She just kept it cause she was worried for the woman. They actually allowed the co-workers diary into the court case, and they said that diary was the only reason he was convicted. So it's VERY important to keep diaries/written of each and every incident, date, time, anything you can think of.

BTW, I would make note of you calling the police and the police not having "time" today! The day and time, at the end of the month, print out your phone call thing from the phone company. (if you can't call your phone company and ask for a itemized listing of ALL phone calls made this month) so you have phone records of you trying to call the police for help!

Edited by - MagnoliaWhisper on Sep 03 2011 6:10:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2011 :  08:42:55 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Wow! Stay safe! The other ladies have given great advice. If you can't get your local law enforcement to go over you rights start calling neighboring towns. You NEED to know you rights. *hugs*

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2011 :  09:59:25 AM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
Make sure you know your laws for protecting yourself in your state. It can be a problem if you would be protecting yourself inside or outside your house depending on the laws. Also, come on here and tell each event so it is on record. They use computer records for everything! There are alot of crazy people out there! Keep your wits about you always. Make sure you keep your vehicles locked and check inside before you get in. Keep a cell phone with you when you go outside and have a number of someone you know already to call so you can let them hear any altercations so they can alert the police. Better yet, program the police number in. It all sounds scary and it is! Be safe! Guns don't kill people~crazy people with guns kill people.Carry mace or pepper spray. Use it and don't think twice.

Be Blessed,
Darlene
Sister 1922

God first, everything else after!

When Satan's knocking at your door, just say "Jesus will you get that for me?"

Edited by - HealingTouch on Sep 04 2011 10:02:55 AM
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2011 :  07:47:06 AM  Show Profile
I'm definitely keeping up with this. I called the sheriffs office again. I talked to the deputy and he said that they ended up sending a car out there, and the deputy stated "If he was a danger, we would take him in." I guess somehow protecting his privacy...anyway, guess who was out and wandering around again yesterday? We were going to go to town, and we came down the driveway, and he was there, IN THE RAIN, WALKING AROUND, with a odd grin and a wave. Needless to say we didn't go to town-went up our neighbors driveway and came back to the house. I've got the pistol sitting on the mantle and I'm keeping a close eye out for him since he's walked up the driveway before.

Go to Top of Page

JojoNH
True Blue Farmgirl

1984 Posts

Joanna
Dunbarton New Hampshire
USA
1984 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2011 :  3:07:34 PM  Show Profile
I don't know if this can help you or not. . . here in NH we can have a no trespass order given to an individual by our chief of police. All we need to do is go in and request it with a good reason, fill out the paper work and then the chief serves notice to the individual. Then, if they violate the order, they are arrested for it.

Hope your sheriff can do something simular for you. . or even help you get a restraining order to keep this guy away.

Joanna #566

JojoNH

http://www.etsy.com/shop/CountryCents
http://CountryCents.Blogspot.com
www.JoannasHomeStudio.com "Keeping traditions alive a stitch at a time"
http://twitter.com/NHJoanna
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2011 :  6:01:46 PM  Show Profile
Guess who destroyed our gate yesterday? In the past 2 weeks he's been here, he's been seen a dozen times harassing people and acting mentally disturbed. He's destroyed our mailbox twice, and now the LOCKED gate leading to our property. I have a loaded gun on the mantle for anyone that comes up-we're putting trail cameras down at the bottom of the driveway to catch him in the act, as the sheriff needs more evidence in order to do anything. UGH.

Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2011 :  6:08:07 PM  Show Profile
Wow! Scary. And the times we live in don't help. I'll be praying for you and your family because no matter what there's still power in that!!! I agree with everyone that said to keep a diary and call the cops every single time. The greasy wheel gets the oil.

Excuse the mess & the noise, my children are making happy memories
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2011 :  7:48:03 PM  Show Profile
hmm isn't the mail box federal property? If the police won't do anything what do you think if you called the PO and asked them about what to do? As far as I know it's against the law to touch the mail box unless you are the resident or the mail man.

Go to Top of Page

vmfein
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Valerie
Dale City VA
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2011 :  8:53:47 PM  Show Profile
the cameras are a good idea then you have it as proof and it doesn't become a he said she said type thing.

Farmgirl Sister #2619

http://www.etsy.com/shop/vmfein
Go to Top of Page

JojoNH
True Blue Farmgirl

1984 Posts

Joanna
Dunbarton New Hampshire
USA
1984 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2011 :  06:08:00 AM  Show Profile
This is the part that is so hard, your the victim and you need to supply all the evidence before any action can be taken. You should keep a camera at the ready as well. . . if you see him approaching the house, start snapping pictures while dialing 911. . . that is the best evidence they could possibly have!

Praying for your safety while you get all your evidence and finally have this person arrested.

Joanna #566

JojoNH

http://www.etsy.com/shop/CountryCents
http://CountryCents.Blogspot.com
www.JoannasHomeStudio.com "Keeping traditions alive a stitch at a time"
http://twitter.com/NHJoanna
Go to Top of Page

smiley
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

lea
pea ridge arkansas
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2011 :  4:16:43 PM  Show Profile
If the police dont have the time to explain your rights I wonder if you can find them online? I know here when we have a concealed carry class each student gets a list of rights. Each state is different.
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2011 :  04:26:36 AM  Show Profile
Well, I just walk around with my glock on my belt. If he acts threatening, I'm going to shoot. I'd rather go to prison for protecting my family than NOT act and have him hurt me or my family.

Well, he upped the anty last night. We set up the cameras, and locked the gate. Someone came up (They knew where the extra key was) to get some scrap metal we've been wanting to get rid of. They got the metal, left, and re-locked the gate. Well, I guess the guy was watching them, because he took the extra key after they left, and he put the rock the key was "hidden" under on top of the gate post.

DH bought a NEW lock with new keys and didn't leave an extra key anywhere. I think this guy's friends (I've never seen them, but I've heard he has some guy that picks him up every so often) are trying to get access to our farm to steal stuff. Hopefully today DH will go get the pictures off the camera and we can see him stealing the key.

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2011 :  04:33:42 AM  Show Profile
oh my! UHG! I can't believe the police don't do anything about such.

Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2011 :  06:45:39 AM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
I am so sorry you are going through this. But I agree with what everyone is saying and what you are saying. Keep records, call 911 EVERYTIME....I use to be a law enforcement officer and the records at the 911 office are recorded...you keep a record too, time and date that way if you need the 911 recording you can tell them what day and time you called. It isn't fair that the way Law enforcement is that a home owner has to go through this but we do. I applaud you for keeping your glock with you all the time. I have one with me too since we live so far away from everyone and at the end of the county dirt road. Our driveway is like yours. If you come here and I don't know you, I walk outside with the rifle, everytime. I hope things settle down soon.

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Family Matters: Previous Topic Trespassers Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page