Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Reading Room
 what are your THREE favorite magazines?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Reading Room: Previous Topic what are your THREE favorite magazines? Next Topic
Page: of 3

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
St. Laurent de la Salanque
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2006 :  12:17:44 PM  Show Profile
Brightmeadow, Brenda, you ARE a true blue farmgirl! Thanks so much for catching my plea for some knitting guidance and yep, I am in the very beginning stages of knitting. I can knit well and pretty quickly, but have never tried anything other than scarves and an occasional hat. But I am determined to progress so I can feed my yarn and sweater addictions!

Nance
"She seeks wool and flax and works with willing hands." Proverbs 31:13
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2006 :  8:06:04 PM  Show Profile
I would love to say that MJ farmgirl is one of my favs, but alas, I have yet to see this treasure of a magazine....I live in Canada, and the province that I live is the smallest of all the provinces, only 135,000 people...anyway...someday I will see it (I'm going to Ontario, the biggest province...I'm sure to findit there)
so having said all of that.....my three favs are Canadian Living, this is a magazine jam packed with recipes, parenting advice, decorating, fashion etc... my 2nd fav is Harrowsmith Country Life...this is another Canadian mag that is all about country living....and my third is ...oh, I guess, it's another canadian mag, it's call Homemaker's...it's similar to Canadian Living, but it is the size of a small novel (not in thickness, just in shape) so it is perfect for fitting in your purse and pulling it out while you are in line at the bank, grocery store, dentist, etc... as for some of your favs, I'll look them up, they all sound great!! Hugs, Mella

mellaisbella "I wanna touch the earth, I want to break it in my hands, I want to grow something wild and unruly"
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2006 :  8:17:47 PM  Show Profile
Ann!! I checked out the website for the Wool Street Journal..and had to order a back issue!! It looks so good!!! Thanks for the recomendation...it looks like a must have!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Bluewrenn
True Blue Farmgirl

1122 Posts

Erin
Texas
USA
1122 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2006 :  8:25:34 PM  Show Profile
For me, it'd be Mother Earth News, Hobby Farms and Vegetarian Times (which I save for all the awesome vegetable recipes.)

My Homesteading Journal
http://toomyvara.livejournal.com

My craft journal
http://bluewrenn.livejournal.com
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2006 :  06:04:16 AM  Show Profile
You're welcome, Nance.

I am a big ME fan, too. I love her calendars and have them from probably 10 years back- I save them and put the pictures from old calendars up on my wall. I am a little disappointed in the magazine, though, as it doesn't seem to have enough personal involvement from Mary, herself. (Only my opinion, I am sure)

In fact I am redecorating my kitchen right now (due to a small accident involving hot oil left on the stove while I was in the garden..) and I am trying so hard, for my husband's sake, not to do it in black-and-white checkerboard with cherries....LOL

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com, web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2006 :  1:29:55 PM  Show Profile
Jenny, How neat! I hope you enjoy it lots. Want a website from the current one (July)? I'll assume you do, and email it to you.

Hugs,
Ann

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2006 :  5:54:26 PM  Show Profile
Yay!! thanks so much Ann....I love it. Gosh..never saw this one before and I will have to subscribe soon I am sure. I usually go through my rug hooking phase of the year in the winter.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
St. Laurent de la Salanque
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2006 :  03:24:23 AM  Show Profile
Brenda, I do the same thing with old ME calendar pics! She illustrated a little book called "My Symphony" based on a poem with that same name. It is an inspiring poem, for sure. I happened to be visiting family in the Illinois/Missouri area and went to the ME "flagship" store in a shopping mall. Her mag was about to go into production so I got on the bandwagon immediately! The first couple of issues disappointed me, but I think it has increased in quality over time, although, you are right, she seems to have delegated most of its contents to her team, but at least they are a great team! Oftentimes, getting bigger does not mean getting better, and companies/products can lose that certain something that caught people's attention in the first place. I've got my fingers crossed for ME.

And your kitchen redo? Black and white sounds really good and those colors are old timey and state of the art at the same time; you can change accent colors seasonally in a snap....maybe you will have to "introduce" the cherries on some tea towels or napkins...... Good luck! Nance
Go to Top of Page

theoanne
True Blue Farmgirl

282 Posts

teddie
CARROLLTON GA
282 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2006 :  1:32:41 PM  Show Profile
Wow, you guys have reminded me of some mags I have not seen in a while. EAL and Yankee. I'll have to look them up. I have yet to see a MJF. I have been looking at every occasion. The only subscriptions we have now is This Old House and Country Home. TOH is more for DH but I enjoy it too. Country home I got as a trial. It's okay,but probably won't renew. I love to go to the mag section @ Kroger's and browse until I find one I have to have. Decorating and sewing are best. An all time fav is Country Living. I'm also intriged by Cottage living.
My fav place to shop for mags is the library. They have back issues you can buy for a quarter. When your done, if you don't need them you take them back. This is a very economical way to feed my mag addiction. And I have a place to dispose of them. Now if I could get DH to clean out the back National Geographic. :)
TEDDIE
Go to Top of Page

mommom
True Blue Farmgirl

854 Posts

Susan
Lancaster Pennsylvania
USA
854 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2006 :  7:23:50 PM  Show Profile
I really have never heard why they stopped making Victoria magazine, but I was crushed. I love Mary Janes magazines, Country Home, Country Living, and Home Companion. My friends send me subscriptions to these for Christmas every year! Aren't they thoughtful??? (I have to give someone the address for MJF magazine now! Susan
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2006 :  10:24:39 AM  Show Profile

Hey Farm Girls!!

I used to subscribe to many magazines, but in my new quest for simplicity and the reduction of resources such as paper, I only subscribe to Countryside and Small Stock Journal. I must have this one!!!

Other favorites are: Ode (from the Netherlands), Mary E's Home Companion, People (when I need plain ole mind candy after a long day); Oprah sometimes--I love the inspirational bookmarks that are in every issue although I often find the mag to be too glitzy, Mother Earth News, though I do think that it has become excessively commercial in recent years, Yes and Utne Reader. I also like to use my lunch hour to peruse the old favorites that my family subscribed to like: Good Housekeeping, Ladies Home Journal, Family Circle, Woman's Day. Time and Newsweek, Of course, Mary Jane is one of my all-time favorites, and I will buy this. Need to check the bookstores soon for the Artists in Aprons issue--can't wait!

What can I say!! I love to read!

Connie

cozycottage

Edited by - connio on Aug 26 2006 10:33:42 AM
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2006 :  11:09:06 PM  Show Profile
My very favorite magazine of all time is Mercantile Gatherings (the only thing I currently subsribe to)! If you love antiques or primitive decorating this is THE magazine for you! Can't say it enough! I also love Yankee-I live vicariously through it's pages, and I guess a third is ME Companion-love the artist of the month feature!
Rhonda

...and I will sing at the top of my lungs, and I will dance, even if I'm the only one!
Go to Top of Page

kitchensqueen
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

521 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2006 :  09:02:05 AM  Show Profile
Hm, for me the top three are Martha Stewart Living, Craft, and Mary Jane's Farm. But I also like Cooking Light, Bust, and Archaeology.

http://apartmentfarm.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

shepherdess
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Robin
Eatonville Washington
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2006 :  5:09:28 PM  Show Profile
My favorite magazine's are:
Mary Jane s farm
Hobby Farm
Hobby Farm Home
Country Living
Herb Companion

Farm Girl from Western Washington
" From sheep to handspun.
http://mountainmorningfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2006 :  5:52:51 PM  Show Profile
1. Mary Janes Farm
2. Cabin Life
3. Range
4- 5- 6 -7- I guess I could go on forever. I love a book/magazine store.
Cowboys.....mmmmmm Also Living the Country Life is good and free you just subscribe to it.

Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!

Edited by - Marybeth on Oct 29 2006 5:56:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2006 :  04:33:43 AM  Show Profile
I've cut down so much over the years; too much surfing and lack of time! But I've never given up Equus or The Horse. I like both for their more in-depth articles and information on the latest in health care.

I recently re-subscribed to Country Home. I have a bit more time now that I quit training outside horses, and really enjoy the pics. I may pick up Country Gardening again, but first I feel I owe it to myself to catch up on my back issues! You should see the clutter of magazines on my stairway; it's embarrassing. I have probably two years worth of Prevention there, and all the information is likely outdated now. I also began to resubscribe to Organic Gardening, but have yet to see an issue.

I wish I had more time to just sit and read, but it's probably best that I don't.
Go to Top of Page

suzyhomemaker
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

Clare
Tyler Hill PA
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2006 :  04:47:46 AM  Show Profile

Hi, Ladies. It is so great to read your magazine favorites as it highlights what your main interests are.

Catherine, did you pick up Martha Stewart's "Handmade Holidays" issue? I just got it this weekend. It has all sorts of crafts for gifting including food gifts with presentation/packaging directions, knitting gifts, some sewn/crafting gifts, cards, etc. It is REALLY nice. I plan on making the pompom snowmen for ornaments for our tree this year.I no longer subscribe to Martha Stewart, but I have in the past. I like some of her Kid issues and keep them on hand for projects.

I subscribe to many magazines. My favorites are Body+Soul (This is geared to natural health and wellness and put out by Martha Stewart), MJF (Like all of you, wish it came out more often, but it is more than worth the wait), Create and Decorate (rustic and primitve crafting magazine.)

Like all of you, I also get others: quilting magazines and Cottage Living and Home Companion. I pick up occasional issues of Family Circle and Woman's Day, but they seem to no longer have crafting in them. I miss that part of them and can pass on the rest. I have saved ripped pages from them and made my first quilts years ago from their simple directions.

Country girl in NE PA
Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2006 :  3:30:37 PM  Show Profile
I am glad to know I'm not the only one with a magazine addiction! Currently I am getting: McCall's Quilting, BHG Quilting, Quilting World, Sew News, Clotide Sewing, and Better Homes and Gardens...I think that is it!

...she is far more precious than jewels and her value is far above rubies or pearls.
Prov 31:10
Go to Top of Page

LauraH
True Blue Farmgirl

305 Posts

Laura
North Creek New York
USA
305 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2006 :  3:52:36 PM  Show Profile
I would never be able to pick just 3, I have some "issues" with magazines..I love Countryside, Martha Stewart, Mother Earth News, (Backwoods Home, Country Living, Cottage Living, Real Simple,Martha Stewart's everyday food and I did love Victoria when it was published)
& Adirondack Life because we live in the Adirondacks..
:-) LauraH
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2006 :  06:30:32 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
My favorites are: MJF, Countryside and Country Living and This Old House. I'm dropping Mother Earth News(I agree with Connie it being too commercial). Of course, I buy too many magazines just off the racks when they have interesting articles - Cottage Living, Martha Stewart, Real Simple, etc.,etc.....and I LOVE the paperdolls in ME magazines( a throwback to my childhood and my grandma's McCalls. I got SO impatient with her to finish so I could have Betsy McCall-LOL).

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?" - 'Brother Dave' Gardner
Go to Top of Page

primjillie
True Blue Farmgirl

138 Posts

Jill
Antelope CA
USA
138 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2006 :  3:00:03 PM  Show Profile
I can relate to this thread since I am a magazine/book fanatic! My favorite lately is Country Sampler, because they have been showing a lot of primitive homes lately, and that is my passion. I also love Early American Life, Mercantile Gatherings, MJF, Country Gardens and Early Homes (only once or twice a year). I agree with the rest that ME isn't the same as it used to be, but I still subscribe, at least for now. I buy Country Home and Country Living, even though I am usually sorry, because I do not like the "new country" - it's yucky! I also miss Victoria. I used to have every issue, but my husband "accidently" threw them away when we moved. I was so sad! I like Martha most of the time too.
Go to Top of Page

Mag
True Blue Farmgirl

144 Posts

Margaret
Mount Vernon OH
USA
144 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2006 :  3:25:48 PM  Show Profile
I am trying to limit my suscriptions..I am a magazine junkie as well. I really like the new Hobby Farm Home but would have to say my 3 favs are Real Simple, Backyard Poultry and MJF. Anyone with poultry I would recommend checking out Backyard Poultry as it has a ton of useful information like feed, housing, and general info to keep our feathered friends happy.

peace,
Mag
Go to Top of Page

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2006 :  4:45:04 PM  Show Profile
Most of my favorites have been listed, but I do like Gourmet and Bon Appetit and Food and Wine because cooking is my THING! For Victoria fans (I'm one), I have found that Southern Lady magazine reminds me of it...
Go to Top of Page

Anastasia
True Blue Farmgirl

56 Posts

Anastasia
Telkwa BC
Canada
56 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2006 :  3:24:51 PM  Show Profile
I love MFJ and lend it out to everyone who comes by the house. After they promise to take very good care of it. ;)

For you crafty folks, there is a great indie magazine out of New York called "Bust." They are STRONGLY alternative and cover everything in blunt detail, but every issue has unique craft ideas and reno ideas and clothing ideas... Plus, most of their advertising is for home-based crafty/artsy businesses so you get lots of websites to check out.

Harrowsmith is a wonderful Canadian farming/country magazine that's been around for years. Love it.

And Women's Health is full of good ideas, interesting stories, and useful information.

I grab anything I can find off the shelves that is new or grabs my eye as I am a writer and love to see what's out there. A new mag I saw in the U.S. called "More" (aimed at women over 40) was a good read (even though I haven't yet reached 40), as were some of the counter-culture things. I, too, enjoy Utne, and The Sun, and The Walrus... It's fun to sort through all these different ideas and viewpoints and information.

When I have time... ;)

Cheers,
Anastasia :)

"Speciality is for insects." -Robert Heinlen
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2006 :  4:22:14 PM  Show Profile
WOW More magazine addicts. I'm one too.

I used to like Victoria too, but mainly for the food/recipes, the decor was a bit too froo froo, even though I liked it, I could never afford that kind. But, I got it for years and years (since I was 12 years old! Used to love going to Kansas City to go to the Victorian Papers store, that was always advertised in it. Before they started charging for their catalogs I used to always order them and pour over it!). Same with Southern Living. But, then I got diabetes, and some of the magazines I mainly got for recipes, I let go because they were mainly high fat and sugar.

I just recently found (with in the past month) MJF, It's already on my top 3! Also I haven't seen it mentioned here, but I LOVE Country Woman-another good quality with substance magazine-what I mean is not a lot of filler with ads, and the like, but great articles, and things I can actually use, and put to use! I also like Weight Watchers. Since diabetes, I've had to lose a lot of weight (so far 100 pounds lost) and it's helped me a lot. (I also like my TOPS magazine for the same reason, but like WW just a tad more some days, some days I like my TOPS one a tad more. lol I'm a TOPS leader so at least it does help me with ideas!).

I've seen Southern Lady but didn't browse it yet, I will have to check it out! I also bought one issue of Tea Time (or something like that also by Southern Living), I thought it lacked some substance. But, it was only one issue. I want to explore it a bit more. I also like Diabetic Living but would like it to also have more substance. I also bought another country magazine not long ago in PA but it was only 1 week before I gave birth, and that week is a bit of a blur to me, I don't know what happened to it, but it was a really good magazine. lol I also like Diabetic Cooking, but the recipes aren't as good as healthy exchanges. But, the articles are good. Vegetarian Times used to be one of my favorites when I was a vegetarian, since becoming diabetic though I crave meat. lol But, I still reccomend VT to all my friends who ask me for good Veg recipes! Deffinately in my opinion the best Veg mag!

I beleive I just recently seen Mother Earth.....I didn't have the money to get it at the time though. It was at Whole Foods? Did a recent one have a article about breast feeding/nursing in it? If so then that's the one I seen. It was looking interesting! I will have to check that Merchant one out too!

My favorite Newsletter is Healthy Exchanges, same reason as why Weight Watchers is a favorite, with exception to I just love the founder of Healthy Exchanges, she died last summer, but her husband, best friend and family are keeping her newsletter going and I just love it.

How do you subscribe to that Living the Country Life?

Edited by - MagnoliaWhisper on Nov 06 2006 4:27:04 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Reading Room: Previous Topic what are your THREE favorite magazines? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page