Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Reading Room
 what are your THREE favorite magazines?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Reading Room: Previous Topic what are your THREE favorite magazines? Next Topic
Page: of 3

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2006 :  06:40:01 AM  Show Profile
my TOP TWO (love them both the same!) are MaryJane's magazine and MERCANTILE GATHERINGS ... don't have a FAVORITE third .. but i like 'creative' magazines .. as long as the arts and crafts have a PRIMITIVE bend to them!

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2006 :  07:41:40 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
I love tons and honestly subscribe to many...but I would have to say,

Victoria ( I know they stopped publication, but I have not found a match since then and now try to buy all the back issues..it was and is my favorite!!)
Hobby Farms
Mother Earth and/or Countryside
But honestly I subscribe to probably 12 magazines..I love to read and it is always new and more information!!

Hugz!!

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"
Go to Top of Page

cmandle
True Blue Farmgirl

846 Posts

Catherine
Minneapolis MN
846 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2006 :  08:08:29 AM  Show Profile
Mothering, MaryJanesFarm and (can I say this here?) Martha Stewart Living. I don't subscribe to Martha anymore, but I do love to pick up a few of the issues each year - particularly Halloween and Christmas!

Catherine

http://yogurtandgranola.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

KellyA
True Blue Farmgirl

237 Posts

Kelly
Johnsonville NY
USA
237 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2006 :  08:55:44 AM  Show Profile  Send KellyA an AOL message
I subscribe to many, but my favorites are Cook's Illustrated, Cook's Country (also by the publishers of Cook's Illustrated)and Family Circle...and Woman's Day...and Food (by Martha Stewart)...oh...that's more than three...Cooking Light...(am I seeing a trend here?!)

Kelly

When a cookbook is in hand, life is good!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2006 :  08:57:28 AM  Show Profile
MaryJane's Farm
Countryside and small stock journal
Backwood's Home.
but I read alot of others too.
Magazines are an addiction problem with me sometimes.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

FlipFlopFarmer
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Carla
Molalla Oregon
198 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2006 :  08:58:52 AM  Show Profile
Three favorites for me are MJF, Countryside and Mother Earth News.
Only wish MJF could publish a little more often but I can't even imagine how much work must go into each issue. I would much prefer quality to quanity any day.

Carla

Live simply.
Love generously.
Care deeply.
Speak kindly.
Go to Top of Page

santa_gertrudis_gal
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Kim
Groesbeck Texas
USA
198 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2006 :  10:56:23 AM  Show Profile  Send santa_gertrudis_gal a Yahoo! Message
Hmmm...

Texas Monthly
Texas Parks and Wildlife
Yankee Magazine

The breed publications I get:

National Mini Rex News
Domestic Rabbits
Texas Rabbit Breeders News
The Sable Cable
Santa Gertrudis USA
Arabian Horse Times
Arabian Horse World

Kim

Heaven is a day at the ranch with my Santa Gertrudis!
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2006 :  11:39:48 AM  Show Profile
Herbal Companion, Mother Earth News, and Romantic Homes are the ones I get every month and are my favs. Love MJF too and read it from cover to cover when a new one comes out.

I loved Victoria too and was so sad when they stopped publication. Let me know what issues you need and I will keep an eye out for them. Just had someone give me a shopping bag full of Victoria magazines last summer -- I read them then passed them on as I don't collect them.

Visit my blog at http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com/

Edited by - therusticcottage on Aug 03 2006 11:41:50 AM
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2006 :  11:58:07 AM  Show Profile
I'm a magazine junkie too, and get alot but my three favorties are Mary Janes Farm, Country Gardens and Country Living Gardener. I buy so many cuz my favorites aren't published that often, so I need a cheap fix! lol

www.sageflowerfarm.blogspot.com

www.herbalfarmstead.blogspot.com

www.countrypleasures.motime.com
Go to Top of Page

Kathigene
True Blue Farmgirl

160 Posts

Kathy
New York
160 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2006 :  1:33:55 PM  Show Profile  Send Kathigene an AOL message  Send Kathigene a Yahoo! Message
Only three!! I can't do that. I only subscribe to one magazine and that is Front and Finish. It is a national publication dedicated to dog type activities such as obedience, rally, agility, tracking, and herding. I regularily buy Home Companion because I really adore Mary Engelbriet and that is or was her magazine. They have seemed to change a bit lately. I also buy oddles and oddles of quilting, sewing, knitting and crocheting magazines. Lately Sew News has had some wonderful articles in it. Occassionally I buy cooking magazines. I like Martha's Food and Taste of Home's Cooking for Two.

My name is Kathy and I am a magazine aholic!! Well and books too.

Kathy

Dogs make such good friends because they wag their tails rather then their tongues.
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2006 :  1:53:50 PM  Show Profile
Kathy -- I'm with you on Everyday Food from Martha -- also Martha Stewart Living is always a fav of mine, especially the garden issue. My fav of ME Home Companion issues are those featuring artists' studios -- did you see Denyse Schmidt's studio a month or so ago? She is my idol. For garden, I love the slick and glossy Garden Design to get outside the box in my design work. Country Living Gardener is lovely. I miss Victoria magazine -- but not too much -- I sold my back issues on ebay two years ago for $150+.

I only subscribe to ME Home Companion and Cottage Living right now, but receive lots of others from neighbor-friends.

Oh, and MJFarms . . . goes without saying!

Oh, and Somerset Studios -- I love all the collage and altered art!
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2006 :  3:20:36 PM  Show Profile
now ya'll gurlfrenz .. be gittin' a subscription to MERCANTILE GATHERINGS ... i write an article for it each issue!!! they do spring/summer/autumn/winter issues .. if you need subscription info .. jus' e-mail me! xoxo

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2006 :  3:28:04 PM  Show Profile
Kathy, I'm with you! I can't limit it to three either - I get Interweave Knits, Knitters, Cast On, InKnitters, Knit & Style, and from Canada, KnitWords - and that's just the knitting magazines!

Then there's the amateur radio magazines, three or four of them. Sojourner's. Utne Reader. Not to mention the farming/gardening magazines!

If this is an addiction, I guess I'm hooked.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow

Edited by - brightmeadow on Aug 03 2006 3:28:47 PM
Go to Top of Page

Kathigene
True Blue Farmgirl

160 Posts

Kathy
New York
160 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2006 :  5:02:58 PM  Show Profile  Send Kathigene an AOL message  Send Kathigene a Yahoo! Message
My mom used say they never worried about losing me in a store because I was always in the books! And I remember vividly scrounging around for the extra 9 cents I had to have plus my allowance to buy my favorite books.

Kathy

Dogs make such good friends because they wag their tails rather then their tongues.
Go to Top of Page

Woodswoman
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Jennifer
Altamont NY
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2006 :  5:51:24 PM  Show Profile
I live a little bit south of the Adirondack Mountains-my favorites are

Mother Earth News (my very favorite-so many good ideas)

Conservationist (a publication of the New York State DEC-lots of good articles on local plants & wildlife, plus hunting and fishing).

Adirondack Life

Jennifer :)
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2006 :  6:12:26 PM  Show Profile
I got a copy of Mercantile Gatherings. It was a very nice magazine. I'm more into the cottage look but if you love primitives you'd like it.

Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2006 :  10:45:10 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Kay,
Thank you so much, I will check my list and let you know! I was thinking about Romantic Homes, but they do not have them here and wanted to see a copy first..could you tell me more about it? It sounds like something I would love! My decorating style is eclectic, a mix of country, victorian and cottage so I think would fit most nicely into "Romantic" style but am not sure. ...would love for you to tell me more about it though!
Thanks again and I will check my list and let you know!
Hugz!

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2006 :  11:39:34 PM  Show Profile
I like Cottage Living, MJF (favorite), and the New Old House Journal. Southern Living has been given to me as a gift, and I enjoy that too. In my efforts to simplify, I stopped subscribing to any mags except MJF. Then it is a treat for me to buy one every once in awhile.

Peace
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2006 :  05:51:41 AM  Show Profile
My favorites are MJF (but of course!), Country Home and Home Companion. I too miss Victoria. I loved the writer-in-residence portion. That's how I found Jan Karon and her wonderful Mitford series, Madeleine L'Engle and others. There's just isn't anything like it around now.

Karin
Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
St. Laurent de la Salanque
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2006 :  07:17:53 AM  Show Profile
When I worked for a bank downtown, there was a great independent bookstore one block away. Deadly combination, having quick access to my money and books!! I, too, mourned the passing of Victoria, but although I adored it, it was one in a growing stack of many, which I have pared down in the last couple of years! My top three: I enjoy ME Home Companion because it inspires me to try to make my life more delightfully arty, Country Living Gardener, Cottage Living. Further down the ranks are Garden Design, Orchid Digest, Martha Stewart's Spring Issue packed with garden stuff...and more! I give my mom Birds and Blooms every year and look through her back issues. I am learning all the French gardening terms because I now subscribe to two awesome garden mags here, too. For knitters and crocheters, what is a good basic mag to try? Thanks in advance for any tips! Nance
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2006 :  08:19:26 AM  Show Profile
Buttercup -- go to www.romantichomes.com. The magazine does do features on homes with lots of frou frou -- lots of white furniture, pink, and roses. I love that look but some of it is way over the top for me. My hubby would never stand for all the ruffles! But they also do features on Tuscan, cottage, and salvage style. They feature a different business owner every month and I like that. I think that you'd like it. Email me privately with your address and I'll send you a copy. I have some old ones here.

Edited by - therusticcottage on Aug 04 2006 4:18:53 PM
Go to Top of Page

KarenP
True Blue Farmgirl

666 Posts

Karen
Chippewa Falls Wisconsin
USA
666 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2006 :  3:33:20 PM  Show Profile
My three (besides MJF)...
Alternative Medicine
Natural Home
Natural Health
Trying to make positive changes in my life
KarenP

"Purest Spring Water in the World"
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2006 :  3:49:47 PM  Show Profile
I love MJF, but as it may come only one or two times a year, the list goes: The Wool Street Journal (primitive hooking), Early American Life, Fine Cooking (maybe... also used to like Martha Stewart Living--great recipes, and Cook's Illustrated--get it on-line now.) I've been waiting for Backyard Poultry Magazine to arrive for a long time, now.

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2006 :  9:36:21 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Kay,
I went through my Victoria and did an inventory and anything before 1997 I need almost all of them. For 1997 am missing May and November. For 1998, 1999, & 2000, I do not need any I have them all. For 2001 I am missing May and December and for 2002 I am missing Feb, April, Sept., Nov., and Dec. If you come across them I can pay a little and shipping or if you want something from Japan I can trade too! Thanks!!
Talitha

PS could not see anything on the website for Romantic Homes because they are under construction ...but thank you and I will check it again!

Edited by - Buttercup on Aug 10 2006 9:56:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

emma.birdwhistle
True Blue Farmgirl

187 Posts

Elizabeth Ann
Ontario
Canada
187 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2006 :  04:15:20 AM  Show Profile
My favorite magazine is Early American Life. I never tire of gazing at pictures of old New England houses with square-paned windows. I also enjoy MaryJane's Farm (naturally!) and I occasionally pick up Mother Earth News or Interweave Knits.
I loved Victoria magazine as well. My mother used to buy it regularly, and of course we still have all the old issues, since we never seem to get rid of anything! I love looking through them. It's nice to be able to gather up all the June issues in the spring or all the October issues in the late summer and page through them and sigh happily.

If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours. - Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2006 :  04:21:08 AM  Show Profile
Nance,

If you are a beginner knitter there are two magazines I like that feature yarns that are easily available and have a variety of basic patterns -

One is Knit 'n Style and the other is Creative Knitting. The first one features a lot of easy sweaters with chunky yarns (quick to knit) and the other features some sweaters but also a lot of more crafty-type projects like purses, scarves, mittens, hats, and so on.

Both have some good columnists that can take you beyond the basics.

When you have some experience knitting, Vogue Knitting and Interweave Knits have some absolutely lovely, complex patterns (that I've never tried, but I like to look at for design ideas...)

Hope these are available where you are!

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com, web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Reading Room: Previous Topic what are your THREE favorite magazines? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page