Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Should I stay or should I go now...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Should I stay or should I go now... Next Topic  

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3323 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3323 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2011 :  12:42:00 PM  Show Profile
Been making soap and attending countless juried art shows and festivals over six years now.

I have noticed over the past 2-3 seasons people were just not attending the festivals and the crowds were not spending money...not just my booth, but across the board at these events-except maybe for food!

We had a wonderful local show on Sunday and did very well profit-wise...but these shows are few and far between.

After careful analysis we have come to the conclusion that our sales are about 1/3 of what it was last season and I just don't know whether or not it is feasible to continue investing in my handcrafted soap business.

It's not just the cost of supplies with shipping fees incredibly high but show fees and gas mileage, etc. It keeps adding up. I ordered my regular amount of soap supplies this spring and have enough to make a really large amount of soap to keep my stacks full at least until the Christmas season is over with, but I just don't know if I should continue with this adventure or cut my losses after the first of the year.

Feeling pretty bummed this afternoon.
What should I do? Ride out this poor economy or face the music?

Talk to me ladies...

Melody
Farmgirl #525

nabrown42
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Nancy
Caneyville KY
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2011 :  12:47:32 PM  Show Profile
I don't know if the economy is going to improve by the first of the year...I don't think anyone does. I love homemade products but feel the pinch like everyone else now and have stopped going to the craft shows so that I won't be tempted. I used to go to get ideas for my own crafting and seldom bought. I think a lot of people do that. I'd probably do the Christmas season and decide if it is worth it or not to continue next year.

"I've wept in the night for the shortness of sight that to someone's needs I've been blind; but I've yet to feel a twinge of regret for being a little too kind."
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2011 :  12:53:49 PM  Show Profile
This is happening all across the country, in my area, the shows are reducing at a very fast rate, and the sales at the remaining shows have dropped to "window shoppers" at best. With the economy at an all time low, and most handcrafted items are on the expensive side, people have no choice to go back to store bought and cheaper, now that does not mean you can't make for yourself, and maybe a select few family/friends, and maybe some day...the economy will pick up enough to go back to handcrafted and better for you items, just MHO...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
social springs community Louisiana
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2011 :  1:53:25 PM  Show Profile
Hey, Mel. Can you just do online sales? I'm with you. The gas alone going to these shows can eat up any profit you may hope to have, not to mention all the other expenses. It still means you have to consider postage, but that can be included in the price. How are your online sales?

from the hearts of paradise...
1Thess. 4:11
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2011 :  2:00:33 PM  Show Profile
I think I would continue for Fall and Christmas Craft shows at least Melody.

Just a couple of ideas:

~Have you considered setting up at Farmer's Markets? Maybe you could share a booth with someone.
~Sell your soaps on consignment at local shops. I notice that local shops here and even nurseries carry locally made soap.

I hope things pick up for you Melody!

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Dorinda
True Blue Farmgirl

1023 Posts

Dorinda
St. Cloud Florida
USA
1023 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2011 :  2:41:32 PM  Show Profile
I have been praying so hard for people who have been hit hard by this economy. I hope things will turn around and get back on track for every one. I think I would ride it out through the holidays
like Sharon said.

Seize The Day!
Dorinda
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2011 :  5:38:00 PM  Show Profile
I'd look for more economical shows-- less expensive table fees would be a good way to cut expenses.

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi
http://silvermoonfarm.blogspot.com/
"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2011 :  7:47:16 PM  Show Profile
Hi Melody,
SOrry to hear that sales are down. A syou said its just a sign of the poor economic times (Frown).
Have you done any church bazaars and or school craft fairs etc. Sometimes the table fees at things like that may be less expensive. Just a thought. I would definately keep with it thru the holiday season for sure. Best of luck to you...praying that things go your way.
Smiles,
Go to Top of Page

vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2011 :  06:22:15 AM  Show Profile
I've been finding the same thing in my area. Think it is a combination of the bad economy plus so many peoplle are buying online.
Hope it picks up for you.
Michele

www.2vintagedivas.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.etsy.com
www.dreamingofspringtime.etsy.com
Love that good ole vintage junk
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3323 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3323 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2011 :  08:38:28 AM  Show Profile
When I first started selling I built a very nice web-site, but I never rarely go any hits off of it and sold very little but, of course that was over six years ago. I do a few sales through my current etsy site, but nothing really substantial by any means. I guess it just doesn't look professional enough to catch any interest-So frustrating...

Got any ideas where I can get one professionally put together that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? I'd MUCH rather sell on line and maybe this is the way to do it.

Melody
Farmgirl #525
www.bythebayhandcraftedsoap.blogspot.com
www.lemonverbenasoap.etsy.com
www.longtallsallys,etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2011 :  10:04:43 AM  Show Profile
I've noticed it, too. I have to be VERY selective about which shows I do. If they want an exorbitant booth fee, I just can't do it. Luckily my farmer's market charges on a sliding scale based on sales. I've been invited to some with $400 fees and on down. Some are just plain silly. Once they wanted to have one at a high school graduation. I thought "who wants to buy soap? Surely not new high school grads." I skipped that one.

I would stay in business if it will help you out on the tax side of things. I don't make much in my business but the tax benefits are worth it overall for the family.

~FarmDream is Farmgirl Sister #3069

Live Today, Cherish Yesterday, Dream Tomorrow

http://naturaljulie.etsy.com
http://julie-rants.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

knitnpickinatune
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Sherrie
Gardena California
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2011 :  7:17:03 PM  Show Profile
Melody-
I wouldn't give up the ship just yet. Good ideas from the girls here.I'd start focusing on online sales,and do you ever advertise in magazines...classified ads? Local newsletters? Think of publications that would cater to the personalities that would buy from you. Perhaps magazines like "Hobby Farm",Urban Farm",etc.

http://www.mandolinbabe.net

http://www.fiddlebelle.com

@MandolinChick on Twitter
mando pickin,uke strummin,dulcimer playin & fiddle sawin' Farmgirl #702
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Should I stay or should I go now... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page