Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Weather Report
 Irene is heading straight for us Update 9/6
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Weather Report: Previous Topic Irene is heading straight for us Update 9/6 Next Topic
Page: of 2

vmfein
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Valerie
Dale City VA
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2011 :  06:55:52 AM  Show Profile
I am checking in and hope that everyone else is safe.

Farmgirl Sister #2619

http://www.etsy.com/shop/vmfein
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2011 :  08:30:26 AM  Show Profile
Hi Farmgirls!
We lost power at 4 am. We were upstairs in the bedroom, but left a light on in the hallway so we'd know when we lost power. Shortly after, sounded like train, so we all (DH, myself, DD, dog, 2 cats, and betta fish) all headed to the basement. Pretty scary for awhile, small tornadoes all over our area, but am happy to report that we are fine. DH got the generator started and our fridge, coffee maker, well, and internet are running off the generator, so despite no power right now we are pretty spoiled with creature comforts. Water damage, storm not over yet. Tons of rain, by 9 am we had 6 inches. Water came in in the kitchen and one bedroom has a huge leak in the middle of the ceiling. Still raining. Outside, is a total mess. Two major, giant trees are down, one is five feet in diameter, but praise the Lord it missed the propane tank! Whew! Another one went down across our driveway, so we will have to work on that before we can leave the house. But for now...we are safe, dry and have full stomachs. :) CL&P is stating that electricity is widespread and may be down for days to a week or more. Yuck. Hope not. But blessed that we are all good, as we heard of one fatality in our state.

Praying that all our other farmgirls are okay, too. Elaine, hope you are okay, heard NJ was hit HARD.

Thanks for all your prayers. Will post tonight if I can when the rest of Irene is over.

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/
Go to Top of Page

Oggie
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Ginny
Machias Maine
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2011 :  10:39:09 AM  Show Profile
Ok, here's me whining:

When you think Irene is over and the news isn't concerned about it anymore, still keep us in your prayers please as us Northern Mainers don't get much coverage but still get the left overs of Irene! My hubby is stuck in bed (foot surgery), my basement already has water coming in through the chimney and my livingroom ceiling is leaking. On top of that, I work for the County Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and could be called in at any moment and it really hasn't even hit us yet! We will probably feel the brunt of it late this evening & early Monday morning and by then there isn't much I can do about it. I live 8 miles from the Coast and we also have a beach house on the shores of the Atlantic and I hate to think what will happen there if this is already happening here! I spent all day yesterday getting things put away, trying to get my garden secured and picked at the same time, got the coop secured & woke up today barely able to use my hands and hurt like you know what! I have no family near us to help us and basically I'm scared, exhausted, and freaked out! So please say a few prayers for us and for Susan down the road (Joey's sister in law). I don't know how they are fairing but if it's like me, not so good! Thanks for listening, I will quit whining now. I know I'm far better off then most. :)

Ginny
Farmgirl #2343
www.thedewhopinn.com

"I always have a wonderful time, wherever I am, whomever I'm with."
"Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it." Both by Elwood P. Dowd (Jimmy Stewart) in the Movie Harvey
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2011 :  11:30:54 AM  Show Profile
Nicole:
That all sounds so familiar! Happy y'all are okay.
Ginny: Whine away, it helps in situations like that.
Y'all remain in my prayers.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

WoodstreamDreambyNicole
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

Nicole
Marlton NJ
USA
177 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2011 :  2:37:45 PM  Show Profile
Made it through fine, albeit sleep deprived. Around 10pm we had water streaming in the chimney into the fireplace behind the woodstove. Fortunately that only lasted 35-45 minues. We just had a huge tree come down about an hour ago and destroyed part of our fence (and other trees) an hour ago, but no one was harmed and no wires down. It originated on twp property, so they'll clear it when they've taken care of the trees that have affected powerlines & homes.

Thanks for the prayers!

Nicole
Shop
www.woodstreamdream.etsy.com
Custom Creations
www.woodstreamdream.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2011 :  6:48:34 PM  Show Profile
Hello all,

We lost power last night before the wind and rain even started so we think so bozo hit a power pole. The rain started around 3AM I think a lovely light rain. At 7 this morning when I went to do chores it was a little heavier rain and absolutely no wind. The wind started at 8. A tree went down on our road. I cut it up with my chainsaw and brought it up to burn next winter.

We live on the side of a hill so we are not really bothered. Our farm pond is overflowing its overflow channel ut it does that on occasion.

The streets in beautiful downtown Montpelier are flooded. I would guess some of the roads in our town are flooded but we do not have a lot of roads right next to any river. many towns are flooded. A man in a town about 30 minutes from here said they received 7 1/2 inches of rain.

the rain has been very steady but I guess it is a warm rain. The radio said that Lake Champlain would be about 70 degrees which is quite warm up here. The Marshfield Dam will release water so that the water will not overflow the top of the dam. this will increase the flood crest for Montpelier and ultimately Lake Champlain.

There have been evacuations of neighborhoods in surrounding towns. Hopefully people will pay attention to the orders.

Our cows and pigs were not bothered at all by the rain. The cows were out eating under the apple trees for a while this afternoon. I hope the turkeys and chickens are using their little brains to stay in their houses and not wander around in the rain and mud.

There is a local radio station that is locally owned WDEV that is broadcasting information on flooding and road closings. People call in and tell them what is happening in their area. The radio station has been running on a generator since 2 this afternoon.

I know that there are pictures on the internet of the area but our service is slow tonight.

I hope others are fairing as well as we are.

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

LuckyMommyof5
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Suzanne
OH
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2011 :  7:46:53 PM  Show Profile
I'm praying for every Farmgirl and their families and neighbors in Hurricane Irene's path - may you all be safe. Always.

Farmgirl Sister #3243

"The real things haven't changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures; and have courage when things go wrong." - Laura Ingalls Wilder
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2011 :  06:24:40 AM  Show Profile
Hi Farmgirl Sisters!
I am back! Missed you all. We are all okay and life is getting back to normal. I hope those in New Jersey and Vermont are doing okay, too. We were without power for about six days, and it is pretty evident we had a tornado rip through our yard, but no one was hurt. We were without phone, too, for most of the week. A neighbor told me someone drove through one of the barricades blocking the road, and their truck hit the downed tree which then took out the phone line. Ran out of propane in the middle of it, so no hot water too! LOL! But, we made it through. Saw more of my family, neighbors and friends, than in a long time, (all helping out each other), so that was a positive. Thanks to everyone who emailed me, it meant so very much!

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/

Edited by - texdane on Sep 06 2011 06:25:54 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Weather Report: Previous Topic Irene is heading straight for us Update 9/6 Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page