Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Pears are ready to pick, I need ideas!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Pears are ready to pick, I need ideas! Next Topic
Page: of 2

tinaberry
True Blue Farmgirl

107 Posts

tina
satsuma al
USA
107 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2011 :  11:55:35 AM  Show Profile
I am looking for new ideas on preserving pears. I make pear butter, pear relish, preserves and jelly from the peelings. I am hoping some of you can give me other ideas. The tree is loaded and limbs are dragging the ground it is so full of pears and this is a fairly large tree. Any suggestions would be appreciated, I'm not sure what else to do with them. I have googled and not found a lot of other suggestions for ways to preserve them that I think my family would eat. I have thought about dehydrating, have any of y'all done that and if so are they any good in recipes such as pies? I will start working on them tomorrow so I know it will be a busy week, not to mention the scuppernogs (muscadines)are ready to start making jelly.

Tina

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2011 :  3:43:49 PM  Show Profile
Have you baked MaryJane's Crackly Pear Cake? It's delicious!

How about canning them in slices or halves.

Farmgirl #800
http://pioneerwomanatheart.blogspot.com/

http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

violetrose
True Blue Farmgirl

960 Posts

Ruth
Epworth GA
USA
960 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2011 :  5:36:35 PM  Show Profile
I made "Cinnamon Pears" last year - very, very easy. Make a light syrup, wash, peel and core the pears, cut up how ever you'd like them. Get some Cinnamon Red Hots - the ones at the $ store aren't red inside, I buy mine at the grocery store, because I want the pink coloring. In your canning jars, put in a spoon full of red hots, add pears, spoon more red hots, more pears, top with red hots, pour syrup over all. Put on your canning tops and lids = hot bath for about 10 minutes. That's all there is to it! Very yummy and festive.
I used Jelly size jars for mine.

Farmgirl Sister # 1738

God loves each one of us as if there were only one of us!

St. Augustine
Go to Top of Page

tinaberry
True Blue Farmgirl

107 Posts

tina
satsuma al
USA
107 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2011 :  05:13:25 AM  Show Profile
Good idea Ruth, I remember a friend making cinnamon apples with red hots, I had forgotten about those, they were good and my husband loved them. Don't see why pears would be alot different. I will be trying them. Thanks for the idea.

Fieldsofthyme, I haven't tried the Crackly Pear Cake but sounds good, I will try to find the recipe. I make a cake with some of the pear preserves I can.

Tina
Go to Top of Page

tinaberry
True Blue Farmgirl

107 Posts

tina
satsuma al
USA
107 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2011 :  07:35:34 AM  Show Profile
I just got home with 7, 5 gal buckets of pears and didn't make a dent in the number of pears on the tree. (I only had 7 buckets.) I guess I'll be busy for a while.

I took my 4 yo twin granddaughters with me to mamas to get the pears, they had so much fun. Emma kept telling me she wasn't done yet and she didn't want to leave. Sarah thought it was funny when she would get hit in the head when I would shake the limbs. The memories we make with our grandchildren are wonderful. I hope they remember times like these as they grow up.

Tina
Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2011 :  07:51:01 AM  Show Profile
I'm going to make cinnamon apples like that this year :) Nice to know about the dollar store red hots! I usually make pear jelly because I like it better than apple jelly.

Mothers are those wonderful people who can get up in the morning before the smell of coffee. ~Author Unknown

http://countryrenaissance.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SunflowersAndHoney
Go to Top of Page

violetrose
True Blue Farmgirl

960 Posts

Ruth
Epworth GA
USA
960 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2011 :  3:19:59 PM  Show Profile
Tina, When my grand kids were little, I took pictures of most everything we did together. Trian rides, apple picking, cookie baking, etc, so they can look back and "remember" all those fun times we had together. It helps this Grammy remember those fun times with the little ones that now range from 10 up to 25 years old :( ! They are still my Grandbabies and will be forever.
Treasure your time with them - they grow up way to fast.
Hugs, Ruth

Farmgirl Sister # 1738

God loves each one of us as if there were only one of us!

St. Augustine
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2011 :  05:53:07 AM  Show Profile
I have a recipe for Spiced Pear Wine that you can give as Christmas gifts and it's wonderful and very well received. Right now would be a great time to get started as it needs time to ferment.
Let me know if you'd like it!
It doesn't use a lot of pears, but you could make quite a bit and either give away or sell it--would make great farm stand sales!
The link to the actual cookbook page is here below.

http://books.google.com/books?id=eEMyNDQP4VEC&pg=PA112&lpg=PA112&dq=Judith+Fertig,+Spiced+Pear+Wine&source=bl&ots=llXT9VoMNV&sig=-ZhdlTD_xyhQYjZuluO1LUzcFsI&hl=en&ei=w6JTTv7vL8ra0QGKv7jvBQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CB4Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/

Edited by - FebruaryViolet on Aug 23 2011 05:54:28 AM
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2011 :  06:32:16 AM  Show Profile
Dehydrated pears are really good and make a great snack. I am waiting on the pears here just for that reason.
Go to Top of Page

Ingrid
True Blue Farmgirl

432 Posts

Ingrid
BC
Canada
432 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2011 :  08:37:20 AM  Show Profile
Pear butter is yummy and a change from jam and peanut butter

Give thanks to yourself everyday for all the wonderful things you do!
Go to Top of Page

tinaberry
True Blue Farmgirl

107 Posts

tina
satsuma al
USA
107 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2011 :  12:44:55 PM  Show Profile
Jonni, I would love to have your recipe for Spice Pear wine. I make a lot of wine for Christmas presents and this would be a perfect addition. I love the idea of adding another wine to the list, especially if I can use up some of these pears.

Thanks
Tina
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2011 :  12:48:17 PM  Show Profile
Tina, try the link that I put in the body of my post. It "should" open up to the exact page of the actual cookbook. You can't copy and paste, but you can write it down, or send the page to yourself in email to open if you're not near a pen and paper. It's simple to make and it was oh-so good. It doesn't use a heck of a lot of pears, but you can make quite a few batches and get some good gifts out of it!

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2011 :  1:21:11 PM  Show Profile
That's a very cool gift idea! The cinnamon pears is a good idea, too! mmm. On ice cream? YES PLEASE!

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

marthajane
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

Anna
Orlando FL
USA
196 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2011 :  5:02:01 PM  Show Profile
Yes, the pears are excellent in pies. You use them just like apples, In my opinion they are a great partner with apples in pie.
This is how you can extend the precious apples and use up the excess pears.
I found this secret when I lived where I had 2 pear trees. They bake really just as good as apples. I prefer using them 50-50 with the apples in pie, I love the texture they give to the pie...
Enjoy!

Happiness IS being a MoM
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2011 :  9:31:49 PM  Show Profile
How about a pear chutney? We use chutneys on sandwiches as well as with roasted meats as a side like mint jelly with lamb. Chutney makes a great gift too.
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2011 :  08:26:17 AM  Show Profile
last year I got so many pears that had bad areas that i decided to cook them up, mash them & make Pear juice...boy was that a nice surprise...it was wonderful & I added no sugar to it...this spring & summer I drank it plus wold add it to other juices such as cranberry, white grape ect....I also used it in some pear/apple crisp ect instead of water....made sure to have a few quart jars for my friend who has babies/toddlers so that she got a all fruit juice drink for them....this year the neighbors pear tree is heavy with fruit & I am the only one who grabs/uses the pears so will can more as pear sauce, pear slices & juice again.....may even dry some since there is so many & I hate any waste...even the mild bad parts get cooked up & peels for the chickens who go crazy for it.....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

tinaberry
True Blue Farmgirl

107 Posts

tina
satsuma al
USA
107 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2011 :  12:07:22 PM  Show Profile
Michelle, I haven't thought of juicing them. I have a juicer and would make it so easy.

I make pies but use all pears, never thought of using 1/2 apples, I'll try that. My uncle called this morning, he had pears he was trying to give away, I hated to tell him I couldn't use them, (have so many at mama's), but he has crab apples I will go get next week. I wonder if those would be good to use since they are so small. Those I will juice and make jelly and apple juice.

thanks for the ideas

Tina
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2011 :  7:22:14 PM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Tina, I tried pear preserves last year but didn't like the way they turned out. Would you share your recipe for preserve, pear butter and the ones made from the peels... thank you. our trees are almost ready to pick. Thanks

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2011 :  7:37:29 PM  Show Profile
Tina,

I have a recipe a friend gave me for Hawaiian Pear Jam. It is very sweet. In addition to pureed (I think) pears, it has pineapple and coconut in it. Let me know if your interested and I'll look for it and post it :)

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

tinaberry
True Blue Farmgirl

107 Posts

tina
satsuma al
USA
107 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2011 :  10:35:33 AM  Show Profile
Penny, I make them the way my grandmother told me years ago. I use the same amount of sugar and the same amount of pears. If I have 6 cup of pears I use 6 cups of sugar. Let the sugar sit on the pears for several hours, the sugar will begin to break down the pears and a juice will begin to form. I put them on the stove at this point and bring them to a slow boil and cook for about 10 to 15 min. I don't use any added pectin. I can at this point and process in the canner for 10 min.

If I have any syrup left over I put it back on the stove bring it to a boil add sure jell and I have pear jelly.

For jelly made with the peels, I save all of my peels. I put them in a large pot with just enough water to keep from sticking. I cook on med until they begin to cook down, sometimes I have to add a little extra water. When all of my peels have cooked down I strain the juice off. I will sometimes strain more that once to get a good clear juice. Then I make as I would any jelly 1:1 ration of sugar to juice.

My grandmother taught me to make jelly and preserves many years ago and this is how I have always done it. I know some say you have to add lemon juice but I don't. I don't care if my jelly is a little darker as long as it's clear. Clarity is my but thing.

I will post the pear butter recipe

Tina
Go to Top of Page

tinaberry
True Blue Farmgirl

107 Posts

tina
satsuma al
USA
107 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2011 :  10:40:04 AM  Show Profile
I just took a pear cake out of the oven my house smells so good.

Penny, the recipe for pear butter is listed under the topic of "Home made Apple butter" on page 3. I use the same recipe for apple butter and pear butter, just use pears instead of apples.

Tina
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2011 :  5:58:04 PM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Thank you so much Tina. I really appreciate it. My Momma died in 06 and she was always the one to make the jelly and preserves. I made it once a very long time ago and didn't remember how and could call Momma to ask...dang how come we don't have a phone line to heaven? I can't wait to try it your way sounds wonderful...I really appreciate it.

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...
Go to Top of Page

ckb
Farmgirl in Training

40 Posts

kathy
pioneer ohio
USA
40 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2011 :  7:39:24 PM  Show Profile
Pear jelly from the peelings? Please Please Please share this. I have been canning cinn. pears for the winter and it seems such a waste to see the peels go out doors. I can wait to try it.
Go to Top of Page

tinaberry
True Blue Farmgirl

107 Posts

tina
satsuma al
USA
107 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2011 :  5:18:50 PM  Show Profile
There is a lot of good juice left in the peelings. I too hate to see anything go to waste. I have done this with apples peelings also and it turns out well.

Tina
Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2011 :  09:41:42 AM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
I made a Pear Apple pie with a Streusel topping yesterday using all THREE of the pears I got off my tree this year! LOL!! I put the recipe on my blog.

http://lazyjbarcfarm.blogspot.com/2011/08/pear-apple-pie.html

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977
http://lazyjbarcfarm.blogspot.com/
www.calicocandy.etsy.com
http://stores.countrycents.com/StoreFront.bok?affiliate_no=6
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.
Go to Top of Page

tinaberry
True Blue Farmgirl

107 Posts

tina
satsuma al
USA
107 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2011 :  10:16:37 AM  Show Profile
yum,looks good I will be trying this.

Tina
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Pears are ready to pick, I need ideas! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page