Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Cleaning Up
 Getting rid of the "cat" smell...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Getting rid of the "cat" smell... Next Topic  

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2011 :  04:49:59 AM  Show Profile
So here's the question of the day. How do you get rid of the cat urine smell in a house? If there is a cat who has been marking or been sick and missing the litter box so urine is getting places it shouldn't, how do you get rid of that smell so other cats don't come in and start marking as well?

We've always used a product called Nature's Miracle. My mom suggested this to the person who asked her the above question, but apparently that's not working completely enough. The people at the pet store told the lady straight vinegar, she hasn't tried it yet. Do you ladies have any other suggestions?

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com

www.thehmmmschoolingmom.blogspot.com

jclambert
True Blue Farmgirl

149 Posts

Judy
Stringtown Oklahoma
USA
149 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2011 :  08:17:15 AM  Show Profile
Amy, I used vinegar diluted with a little water. It seemed to work pretty well and after it dries the vinegar smell goes away. Thankfully, after having my cat neutered he has stopped spraying.

Judy

"Courage is when you're licked before you begin but you begin anyway and you see it through no matter what". Atticus Finch - To Kill a Mockingbird
Go to Top of Page

Madelena
True Blue Farmgirl

1919 Posts

Mary
Central TX
USA
1919 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2011 :  03:48:16 AM  Show Profile
THIS IS LONG, BUT I PROMISE IT WILL HELP.

We tried all the products, none did the full job. And so...

Depends where the cat has marked.. If it is an upholstered chair.. not good-- hope it wasn't your favorite.. replace it. If it is the rug.. pull it up.. throw out the soiled padding !!!! Clean the sub floor - seal it if you can, and have a good commercial cleaner come in -- especially one who will guarantee no smell or they will rewash.. CALL THEM BACK, TELL THEM YOU CAN SMELL IT AND DO GET THE REWASH.

If it is a wall or a door, depends if it soaked in. Wash wash wash.. vinegar is good, add some baking soda for areas that can take it to scrub and lesson the smell. If soaked into wall or door, repaint surface or polyurethane wood - think seal-up the smell.

We had the most gorgeous Manx kitty who suddenly decided the entire living room rug was his pee box. Poo'd in the cat box tho. We replaced 50 square feet of carpet -- after $100's in vet bills and boarding cat with antibiotics and a little cat prozac to try to "retrain" him chemically. Don't ask, worked the year before when we did it.

Finally "Bob" the bobbed cat had to find a new home.. with access to the outside and no other cat competion {we think he was jealous}.

My sister has 5 cats - males- they spray. The house reeks!!!! I didn't know it when I went for a visit. When I stayed with her last summer, anything NOT in a plastic bag {think my clothing} smelled of cat urine in less than a day!!! YUCK! And no, I could not go to a hotel after accepting her hospitality [she gave me her bed and slept on the couch].

NOTE: if you are staying in the residence, your nose gets accustomed to the smell. They did not smell the cat pee, and when I was in the house for a while I did not notice either. But other people will when they walk in !!

So I left my clean stuff in the truck of the car, put dirty stuff in a plastic bag and washed EVERYTHING after I flew home.

The moral of the story is... it can get worse. Handle it quickly. Deal with the offending cats as necessary. {We really did LOVE Bob.. but like an abusive spouse.. just had to end the relationship] Maybe they can be outside cats with limited house privileges. Anyway. We worked on this project for ALL last summer. House smells great now. MY OTHER CAT DID --NOT-- SPRAY OF USE THE RUG.

lots of luck.!! Don't give up too soon.. sometime the kitties will amaze you.
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2011 :  04:12:01 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the suggestions! I think this friend's problems is that she thinks the cat urine is actually on the cement floor of her basement. Someone told her if she goes down there with a black light you can actually see where the urine is. Is that true? I know that she was told to figure out "whatever" to clean it and then to "seal" the floor if that is actually where the urine is.

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com

www.thehmmmschoolingmom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

phonelady
True Blue Farmgirl

323 Posts

Carla
Loveland Colorado
323 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2011 :  2:17:29 PM  Show Profile
Yep, the blacklight thing works.
I just use vinegar and a bit of dish soap, or if I have to, TSP on cement. Make sure to rinse the TSP real good though.
Smiles!
Carla

It's not just life-
It's an adventure!

http://familyhistoryfindings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Getting rid of the "cat" smell... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page