luvnlife
True Blue Farmgirl

82 Posts

Michele
Quincy WA
USA
82 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2008 :  8:24:03 PM  Show Profile
I would love to be able to hang all my laundry outside on the old clothesline that came with my farmhouse but I think I'm doing something wrong. My clothes come out stiff and wrinkled and don't smell bad but not "fresh" either. I have a water softening system so it isn't hard water. I use Amway's SA8 detergent because it's very user friendly on septic systems. Do I need to use liquid fabric softener? I don't cuz my plumber said it's hard on the my pipes, too gooey. I'd love to utilize my clothesline and save time and money by drying them the greener way. Any ideas to help? Thank you ahead of time!!!

Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
Farmgirl Sister #306 :)

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2008 :  9:57:01 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Michele- It sounds like either your machine or your laundry soap isn't getting your clothes clean. Do you leave the clothes in the washer for very long? This can give laundry a funky odor. Also your clothes will be much stiffer than from the dryer, but you can tumble dry your clothes for about 5 minutes after they have been on the line and this softens them considerably. They won't be as soft as the dryer makes them- but better.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2008 :  08:29:51 AM  Show Profile
I used to hang out my clothes in the first house that DH and I had. I did it for about a year and then gave up because they just smelled dirty. 20+ years later and after finding kindred spirits on MJ I started hanging my clothes out again and this time I LOVE THE SMELL.

Wondering what the diffence was, I thought it might have been that my first house was only 3 blocks from a major city street and a parking lot was my back yard neighbor. But I also wonder if it wasn't the smell of the laundry soap AND the car fumes? We are nowhere near a major street now.

You might try to hang your clothes inside and see if they smell better. Also isn't there a post here about using vinegar as a fabric softener? I would think that would neutralize any odor from your soap and if I remember it helped with the stiffness of the clothes.

Toto, we're not in Kansas any more!
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2008 :  08:45:19 AM  Show Profile
Clothes are soft from the dryer cause the dryer breaks down the fabric making them soft.

They will never be soft like from the dry when you hand dry them. But, they will last much longer. And once you wear them or use them how ever you need (sheets on the bed, and such) they will soften up a bit more then fresh off the line.

Do not use fabric softener, again it softens by breaking down the fabric. If you want to use anything I would use vinegar. It's a natural softener. However, again it will NOT make them as soft as putting them in the dryer. However, like Alee said you can give them a short spin in the dryer and it will fluff them up a bit.

Is your water TOO soft? This could be the reason for not smelling "fresh"? Maybe not completely cleaning the clothes, as when the water is too soft it doesn't do much. (I can't even get really soft water to get the soap off my hands or body when taking a bath!).

OTOH, I've never had a real fragent load of laundry from the line. It's not like "dryer" or fabric softener sheet overwhelming scents. It's just basically not having a scent, or scentless pretty much for me! :) But, that's ok I don't need scented clothes! lol
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2008 :  08:47:52 AM  Show Profile
gurlz .. i'm not real big on hanging bed linens and clothing that touches my body on the line either .. the 'scratchy' rough feel jus' isn't as comfy to me as 'dryer-dried' .. (even 'slightly' rougher' doesn't feel good). i wish someone could come up with an idea that would make them as soft. (i will hang up some things .. jus' not the 'body-touchin' ones. xo

p.s. i probably still wouldn't hang everything on the line .. too many roads to run .. i do appreciate 'quicker' in my life for some things.

True Friends * KENTUCKY FRANNIE

adopt a 'rag-chile'
http://sistermercysfoundlinhome.blogspot.com

treasures .. new and olde .. http://mudpiemanormercantile.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2008 :  08:49:06 AM  Show Profile
ohhh .. i mostly use my clothes line for 'pretties' .. just to look at ... pristine white victorian slips and underoos in the springtime .. colorful aprons in the summer .. homespun in autumn .. and red flannel underwear in the wintertime.

True Friends * KENTUCKY FRANNIE

adopt a 'rag-chile'
http://sistermercysfoundlinhome.blogspot.com

treasures .. new and olde .. http://mudpiemanormercantile.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2008 :  08:51:13 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
When I wash my clothes with my homemade laundry soap and hang dry them, they come in smelling amazing! Much better than fabric softener. A nice fresh scent with some of the essential oil scent from my laundry soap left over. It's this intoxicating mix that I just can't get enough of! I will literally grab a line dried t-shirt and just inhale for a few minutes! LOL

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Brew Crew
True Blue Farmgirl

676 Posts

Molly
Arizona
676 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2008 :  08:54:01 AM  Show Profile
That's funny...when I was a kid and my mom *made* me help with the clothes hanging, I always hated the way they smelled. Reminded me of BO. ;) But, now, with my own choice of laundry soap (that I actually *like*) and a better attitude and appreciation for the simpler things, clothes from the dryer don't feel or smell clean to me at all anymore. Maybe shop around to find a soap you really like? Or do a rinse with vinegar and a couple drops of essential oil (the vinegar will help a tad with the stiffness, too).

The Biz www.tvalahandmade.com
The Blog: http://blog.tvalahandmade.com/
The Bits www.happydalehobby.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2008 :  09:58:56 AM  Show Profile
DH left to go back (he doesn't like lined dried clothes) on the road and I took everything from the mattress pad to the top quilt and washed and dryed it in the clothes line. I had the most wonderful night of sleep ever. I found a set of sheets that had an large thread count 900. Really cheap they dry up so soft on the line that they feel like flannel.

I love my clothes line.
Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

clux64
True Blue Farmgirl

162 Posts

Celeste
Blair NE
USA
162 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2008 :  3:55:52 PM  Show Profile
I'm with Diana on the thread count of your sheets keeping them soft after line drying. I bought some sheets from Target (on sale) that are a 400 thread count and they are very 'silky' to the touch. They seem to stay that way after line drying and the aroma of fresh, lined dried sheets is ABSOLUTELY condusive to a great nights sleep in my opinion. My laundry always has that sun/wind 'clean' smell off the line--I can't think why they would smell bad.

Celeste

"No matter where you go, there you are"
--Confucious

www.urbanprairiehome.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2008 :  07:45:13 AM  Show Profile
I use my homemade laundry soap with some lavendar essential oil in it plus some white vinegar/baking soda mix with some lavendar essential oil in the rinse cycle and I dry everything on the line outside (even my towels) and no problems. All smell great and our wind shakes the wrinkles out nicely. In fact, it's almost like DH's shirts have been starched a bit but not stiff! I'm meticulous about how I hang the clothes however...they get a good snap and shoulder seams pinned in a certain place and I always button the top button of the shirts so the collars will stand up nice and dry without creases. I straighten everything out as I hang it to encourage wrinkles to leave. I love hanging out the laundry and taking in the smell and the nice crisp results. I hope you can find a way it will work for you.

Jami in WA

Okay, so now I have a blog. http://woolyinwashington.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2008 :  10:02:15 AM  Show Profile
I love to hang out all my laundry. I specially love the stiffness of the towerl and even sheets and pillowcases. They smell so good. We have always had a septic tank and the only thing the septic guy told me was to never use tide. Too many bubbles, clogs up the system.. As for the good aroma or not--it could be pollution in the air. Or What Alee said. A good snap to the towels and other clothes take the stiffness right out.I alwys hung things like Jami. Everything just so. We always had well water and maybe that made a difference too. It was so soft and pure. I always hung out diapers too and the kids seldom had diaper rash. For the diapers I used Dreft Laundry soap. Maybe todays soaps are different than years back when my kids were babies. Don't know. But good luck. I use my dryer now and really miss my old clothes line. Just might put up a new one. MB

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"

Edited by - Marybeth on Aug 15 2008 10:04:42 AM
Go to Top of Page

luvnlife
True Blue Farmgirl

82 Posts

Michele
Quincy WA
USA
82 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2008 :  08:47:53 AM  Show Profile
What great ideas and tips! It's comforting to know that I'm not doing anything wrong, clothes are supposed to come out differently on the line vs. the dryer. I have liquid rock for well water but I have a great softener system and I live way out in the country away from pollution, except the never ending dust. lol I've never had someone show me how to hang laundry the right way, after reading the above responses, I'll try turning my dh shirt's around and pinning them differently. Its Monday, aka laundry day, so I'll try these ideas out today! A big thank you to all of you!!!

Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2008 :  09:48:22 AM  Show Profile
I wouldn't suggest today's Dreft for diapers. They will make them water repellant, cause of the "softener" in it. And diapers need to be absorbant not repellant. lol :)

http://www.wolfprncez.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2008 :  6:52:03 PM  Show Profile
I've hung out clothes all my life pretty much and never had a problem...you have to be careful not to stuff too many clothes in your washer and I do think a water softner helps. I use Mrs' Meyers laundry products. I try to do laundry on a windy day and that helps with the wrinkles. I hang my shirts upside down at the side seam and put them on hangers right from the line. I actually find it easier to fold sheets right from the line and they are LESS wrinkled than out of the dryer. I use 3 c;othes pins for each sheet and the full sheet I hang doubled in half top to bottom and the fitted sheet I hang by the corners and in the middle there is about 10 inches hanging down where I clip it. Hope this helps....this is after 40 some years of hanging clothes outside. I love it and rarely use my dryer. Good Luck! And the sun bleaches your whites so I always hang my whites in front where the sun hits them..save money and energy! Good luck!

Sam in AR..... "It's a great life if you don't weaken!"
Farmgirl Sister #226
Go to Top of Page

luvnlife
True Blue Farmgirl

82 Posts

Michele
Quincy WA
USA
82 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2008 :  3:31:03 PM  Show Profile
Okay, the first load is hanging on the line and drying as I speak. (The daughter got to the washer before I did yesterday so I had to "wait" my turn.) lol I'm giving the clothes a good snap/shake before hanging. And I'm trying to catch that washer on the rinse cycle to add some vinegar, missed it on the first load. Argh! Thanks Sandra for the hanging tips. It would seem something so simple as to the best way to hang things would be obvious. But....we know better. lol Funny thing, just the other day my Mom corrected me on how to iron a shirt. I'd been doing it one way for over 20 years, it worked. But when she showed me the "right way", it worked even better. Whoever said old dogs can't learn new tricks? Hugz to all!!!

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2008 :  4:12:27 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Michelle- You can put vinegar in a downy ball so you don't have to catch it on the rinse cycle.

Also- how old is your washer?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

luvnlife
True Blue Farmgirl

82 Posts

Michele
Quincy WA
USA
82 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2008 :  5:20:23 PM  Show Profile
Duhhhh, I have a fabric softener dispenser in the agitator, just haven't used it in years since I used fabric sheets. I put the vinegar and lavender oil in there and my clothes came out yummy smelling. Not too scented though which is a good thing. My dh isn't too fond of smelling too rosy in his work clothes. :)

Family life is the source of the greatest human happiness. This happiness is the simplest and least costly kind, and it cannot be purchased with money~Havighurst
Go to Top of Page

luvnlife
True Blue Farmgirl

82 Posts

Michele
Quincy WA
USA
82 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2008 :  09:29:37 AM  Show Profile
I was surprised to see how quickly the laundry got done by not having to wait for the dryer to finish each load. I did four loads and each load came out smelling nicer and with less wrinkles. At one point, I stood back and looked at my 3/4 full clothesline and laughed. I really must be the only person who has cleaned fire hose hanging next to their laundry. (I am a fire chief in my nondomestic life.) The clothesline was a hit. Thanks for all the timely advice. It's raining some much needed rain today so all worked out beautifully.

Family life is the source of the greatest human happiness. This happiness is the simplest and least costly kind, and it cannot be purchased with money~Havighurst
Go to Top of Page

nampafarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

494 Posts

Kim
Nampa ID
USA
494 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2008 :  12:12:38 PM  Show Profile
Alee what is your recipe for laundrey soap?

Kim
Go to Top of Page

luvnlife
True Blue Farmgirl

82 Posts

Michele
Quincy WA
USA
82 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2008 :  09:55:37 AM  Show Profile
I'm hooked! (Or should I say "hanged"?) lol It's been a couple weeks since I've used my dryer to actually dry clothing. I love the fact that I can do a gob of laundry in such a short time by hanging it out on the line as soon as the washer kicks off, no waiting for the dryer to finish each load. At first I'd toss in a few items in the dryer just to take some of the stiffness out of them but now, I just give them a good shake a couple of times. I have the vinegar/lavender oil rinse down pat. I'm still on the look out for washing soda in my area so I can take full advantage of economic laundering. Thanks for all the advice. Now I just need to figure out what I'll do when the weather turns cold and I can't utilize my clothesline as much??? Ahhhh, scary thought, "Clothesline withdrawals!" :)

Go to Top of Page

clux64
True Blue Farmgirl

162 Posts

Celeste
Blair NE
USA
162 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2008 :  10:18:49 AM  Show Profile
Michele...I had the same thought about the cold weather and it's effects on my delicious line dried fragrance. I know you can hang laundry out in pretty cold weather as long as it's not freezing (or the windchill isn't freezing). I've read a bit about people having drying racks in the bedrooms because the drying clothing adds moisture to the dry, furnace warmed air. Does anyone have any experiece with this? How do you 'hang' your laundry in the winter time?

Celeste

--Confucious

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2008 :  10:40:16 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I actually do use my dryer in cold weather. I have a special attachment to the vent hose that catches any extra lint. Then the moist hot air blows into the house adding moisture to the air and not wasting the heat. Air is able to hold more heat when it has some moisture in it. However, you do have to be careful to not run too many loads back to back or you will have moisture streaming down your windows.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

clux64
True Blue Farmgirl

162 Posts

Celeste
Blair NE
USA
162 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2008 :  10:43:59 AM  Show Profile
Cool Alee! What is this attachment that attaches to the vent house and catches extra lint? Where can I get one if I wanted it?

Celeste

--Confucious

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2008 :  11:32:41 AM  Show Profile
For the washing soda, I have never found it at a lot of the big chains like walmart. You need to go to your local mom and pop (or smaller type) grocery store. It's almost always on the top shelf, and looks like a huge box of baking soda.

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2008 :  12:14:53 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Celeste!

I bought mine at a local hardware store. Look in their cleaning supply or dryer supply area. I don't remember the brand name. It sort of looks like a plastic coffee can with an odd lid that the vent hose goes into. You fill the bottom with water, attach the hose, and clip on the lid. The hot air hits the water, the dry lint sticks, and the lid is domed to let the hot air out as well. It was about $5 and works great! Just remember to change the water every day that you use it, and I would suggest emptying the water when the dryer is not in use. Otherwise the water can get stinky.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Cleaning Up: Previous Topic What is "clothesline fresh"? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page