Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2006 :  09:30:47 AM  Show Profile
Well since this is my topic I will start. Boy is it hot, got my hair up in a ponytail with big red ribbon, must say I look some what cute.
Got up early as usual, ran around and put the house in order, I'am pretty sure someone comes in durning the night and messes things up, because it was fine when I went to bed. Anyway, then I made a mac. salad with steak I had left over cut up small, you know instead of tuna. Had that in the fridge by 8.30. Went out and watered my plants who all seem to be saying, for heaven sakes turn the heat down, probably have to water them again later, filled the bird bath with fresh water, the robins love to get in there for a swim, and I have a bowl of water in the back yard for the rabbits because I don't know where they get any water from.
Was going over the MJ mazazines, hey I didn't know our Jeanie had written a little story in the "NO PLACE LIKE HOME ISSUE", way to go Jeanie!! Everytime I think I have read all there is to read I find something I missed.
Going to go now and do some reading in the new Fannie Flagg book, just hope I can sit still, think maybe I had a little to much ice tea.
So what are you doing today?
NANCY JO

bboopster
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Betty Jo
West Bend Wisconsin
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2006 :  09:43:06 AM  Show Profile  Click to see bboopster's MSN Messenger address
Up by 5 to be to work by 6. Made braekfast and got my ladies off to work then started months end book work and then back home by 9. We have no AC so I like Nancy's plants are begging for the heat to be turned down. Not much I can do at home but sit in the basement and try to stay cool(cat nap) in the 100+ weather. I have to be back to work by 3 and work until 9. During that time I will grocery shop for the group home, make dinner, make sure my 3 ladies are groomed and ready for their day on Wed. Hopefully the heat will go away.

Pray for our troops to come home safe and soon.
Enjoying the road to the simple life :>)
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2006 :  09:50:21 AM  Show Profile
Today is refreshingly cool, so will work in the greenhouses this afternoon...I suppose it's about time to top the tomato plants to let all the green fruit ripen. I always hate that job, seems to signal an end to summer to me. And my girls (hens) could use a housecleaning too.
I started a major cleaning of my house yesterday...things get so neglected when I'm so busy with the market garden. Just have the kitchen to do this morning.
If I get time, I would like to get some more planting done in the garden for fall crops...mostly just cool weather things like peas, beets, broccoli, etc.
At this point I have no idea how many are going to be here for supper, so will decide on that later...could be two, four or six. I think it just might be taco salads...easy to add extra to if need be.
With a list of things a mile long, shouldn't be sitting here now, should I?!
Di
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2006 :  10:11:57 AM  Show Profile
OK Betty Jo, I give up, who are the ladies? And Diane , I know what you mean about the dinner count, one never knows for sure.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

jorlex
Farmgirl in Training

31 Posts

Jennifer
Northwestern IL
USA
31 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2006 :  11:17:22 AM  Show Profile
It's 93 here right now with the index at 103, I got up and off to work, I'm leaving work soon for an appointment then off to home to pick up child and chickens to take to 4-H fair. Tonight's supper is going to be fair food I think. Too hot to cook and will be too late due to 4-H. Then it's the usually pick up house and do a little here and there. I need to feed the garden of weeden some water.
Hope everyone is drinking their water and staying cool!
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2006 :  11:39:46 AM  Show Profile
Laundry today. Some work in the garden later. The sun is finally showing itself after many days of absence. It's only about 66 today. Very refreshing. I also straightened up the linen closet; got dinner in the crockpot and am watching the girl next door (as her mom had my daughter all day yesterday). Thinking of my farmgirl friends with heat coming at them and hope that they and their gardens survive!
Sharon

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2006 :  12:12:23 PM  Show Profile
well, I have made sure my house is tidy..made beds, had the kids do their chores(gather the garbage and clean up their rooms/make their beds, put away anything they have gotten out of place), had to clean up a wet playpen and a wet baby girl...then I made myself a cup of chai tea and some chopped fruit... gave the baby a banana in her high chair..made sure the kids weren't fussing..
made sure they'd all had something to eat...in between all that I hopped in the shower, ironed a nice outfit and have it on..fixed my hair(when it's wet it takes about 30 minutes to comb out and pin up as it is long) then the neighbour kids came over to play..I also made sure that mine and my daughters photo entries are ready to take downtown this evening to the Visual Arts Center photo contest that will be held here from Aug.11-Sept. 8th.
Then I looked through the Tea Time magazine that Talitha sent me.
All of my housework was basically done yesterday..so my house is pretty well clean.
My kids and the neighbor kid are all playing in the living room (a disney x box game)..it's a squelcher outside here..has been really hot and humid.
I have a stack of farm girl pen pal letters to respond to this afternoon, so I'm getting caught up on those.
Yesterday I spent the afternoon trying to create photo stock images to sell.
But today I'm taking a little break..listening to the kids play in the background.
..trying my best to keep my mind occupied and not worrying about the very real possibility that my husband may not have work after the 15th. Praying that after 16 yrs as a stay at home mom and in an occupation that I love..that I won't have to face the work force after a 16 yr. hiatus..because that thought is a bit scarey and a bit overwhelming.
So today..I'm just taking a little time to breathe..to relax and to enjoy my blessings.
In a few minutes I will be moseying into the kitchen and begin planning what I will fix my family for dinner.
After I run to the VAC downtown after my husband gets off work..I'll most likely find myself outside watering all my roses and potted plants.
I think that's about it so far.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2006 :  7:23:40 PM  Show Profile
well .. i sure had a fun day today! up with the sun .. ha! actually, i BEAT the sun rising! went into the 'schoolhouse' before the HOT set in! dragged out 12 boxes of American Girls dolls and their stuff .. have about 8 more to go!!! I'm hostessing a "Yesteryear's Children' Tea Party on Sunday for a little girl's birthday .. and i wanted to 'decorate' with the AG dolls! then into the yard to water my 'pretties' .. oh and i 'sneaked' some kitty food to a little 'skin and bones' kitty that wandered down the hill. It actually LIVES up the hill .. but they have so many kitties .. and i guess they all fight for food. I honestly don't think this little critter is long for this world .. the owners are truly a sweet little couple with two little girls .. but their kitties are all OUTDOOR kitties .. and i'm afraid the coyotes munch most of them before they even grow up. This little one .. i call him/her 'Slim Pickins' .. Barely There .. Skin and Bones ... well .. we decided to NOT encourage stray kitties to come live here .. if they ever wander into the dog yard .. Cabin and Creek not even KNOWING what a cat is .. might 'do them in'! But .. i just couldn't help myself .. i bought a bag of kitty food and HID it in the cabinet .. and i've been sneaking her a big bowl (along with fresh water) each morning!!! sometimes i call this kitty ZIG ZAG .. cuz he/she slides between my feet with every step i take! (haven't picked him/her up to check out the 'anatomy' just yet ... will do that tomorrow). i truly don't want to get too attached .. for fear .. one night ... he/she will just disappear into the forest and never come out again!

ohhhhhh .. i was talkin' about my day! headed to two quaint country towns for some 'antiquing' .. got some fun goodies!!!!!!!! then went to 'town' to do some 'tea party' shopping!

answering e-mails and checkin' in on the gurlfrenz on my 'boards' .. then .. gonna' hit the bed with a good book! xo

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2006 :  8:02:58 PM  Show Profile
haha Frannie...so you're not going to get attached to this little kitty!! Sounds like you're a new mommy to me!
And Nancy Jo...I ended up cooking for six and fed four. The other two got paged out to a first responder call and ate at the firehall. Can't win!

Di
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2006 :  04:39:21 AM  Show Profile
ANOTHER HOT DAY, but windy, so maybe the cooler weather will be here tomorrow, then I plan on doing some major housework, and outside work, might even bake something.
Today the usual cleaning to put the house right, taking my oldest daughter to the grocery store, get a few things myself. Going to see if the fall COUNTRY SAMPLER magazine is out yet. Been working on a 16X20 embroidery, will get that out later. And I imagine my two grand daughters that live around the corner will be here, they usually bring a few friends with them, eat and drink everything in site and spend the afternoon playing what girls play. I must say they clean up pretty good before they go home, unlike a few years ago. Oh I know, when we are out to go to the store later maybe I will go the the thrift store, won't be going to garage sales this weekend so pretty sure I need to find at least one thing to calm me down.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2006 :  05:01:40 AM  Show Profile
Well, up at 5am, was hoping to sleep in late, but my bioclock won't turn off. So cleaned the kitchen, made coffee, cut out a pattern and APRON!! Have done 3 loads of laundry...gotta get it done early due to the 100 degree heat expected today. I have to get 5 uniforms ready because I am working for the next five days straight. Gotta iron two shirts for my hubby, all before 9am. Oh and feed two hungry little ones. Then my day starts: more cleaning, of course, a little school supply shopping before it all gets gone. Hopefully take the girls swimming...they have been swimming next door the past couple of days....wonderful neighbors with a pool!!! I always go over and watch over the kids....pulled one out by the arm yesterday that ventured too deep and was going under and panic-ing! (I do know pediatric CPR and water rescue!) This afternoon, gotta get some dinner ready...we've been having cold salads lately, too hot to cook. I think I'll do a tuna casserole or something. I do so want to work outside, but it is dangerously hot and humid out there! Thank goodness for AC!! Have a great and cool day.
Georgann

http://auntgeorgeshouse.blogspot.com/
Thanks for checking out my apron musings!
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2006 :  06:05:44 AM  Show Profile
I'm volunteering at the historical society's consignment shop today. Will be in charge of checking in and pricing the 'new' old stuff that ladies bring in -- it's almost like Christmas, helping unwrap items and seeing what it is. I have a couple of things myself to bring in. If we're not busy, I'll be rearranging the stuff already in the shop -- always fun. It's good and air conditioned there, which will be great, seeing we are in our 5th and maybe last day of the heat wave. Might cook some rice this morning and do a stir-fry later. Need to do a little laundry.

And, for our business, I need to get started on a couple of garden designs -- one a stone terrace with retaining wall and perennial beds, one a series of 4x4 square herb beds with gravel pathways between. And type out invoices for last month.

To the market for some fresh chicken breasts for the stir-fry and MORE Michigan blueberries.

I'd better get started! Got a late start this am because our black cat Daisy attacked my husband's feet at 1 a.m. and then I couldn't get back to sleep. Finally got up and cruised online for a while. Finally crawled back into bed at 5:30 a.m. after dropping off DH and slept until 7:30. I probably should have been more productive in those early hours, ala Aunt Jenny or Aunt George. But this Aunt Kathy was not!

Fun to hear all the FarmGirl plans. Keep cool, everyone. Eat watermelon!
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2006 :  08:00:35 AM  Show Profile
Wow. Everyone is so busy!! And doing things that are more interesting than what I have laid out before me! I am about to embark on the cleaning train to get this absolute pit of a house back in order from being gone for 5 days. "Mom's away, we will play!" is my family's creed. Aargh. I have dog hair tumbleweeds blowing all over the place, the bathroom looks like Hiroshima after the bomb and the family room carpet has a coating of who-knows-what-thank-goodness-it's-not-sticky on it. Grumble, grumble. This is going to be an all-day adventure for sure. Time for some happy music, a tall skinny dance partner (the Swiffer) and the lulling sounds of trickling water(from the bathroom tap)to soothe my frazzled nerves.

Karin
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2006 :  11:10:54 AM  Show Profile
Up early today! My hubby and I are pulling out all the carpet in the house and putting down tile or wood laminate in all the rooms. I have bad allergies and was getting sinus infections that would turn to bronchitis and last 6 months. Also always get weird rashes that no doctor can explain. We are on the last room right now. We are doing the "guest" bedroom which is really the JUNK room!!! So this room is causing us fits. We have to remove all the junk before we can do anything! Definatly needed but still a pain!!! ;) So I have been burning trash, listing stuff on ebay and shifting stuff around the house all morning! I'm on my lunch break right now!!!!

Karin - "dog hair tumbleweeds" That is so good! You make very nice mental pictures with your writing! HA!

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.

www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2006 :  12:13:23 PM  Show Profile
I'm spending a delightful day at home! Got outside while it was still somewhat cool, weeded, moved some plants around and cleaned off both porches. Had tons of butterflys, hummers and dragonflys for company. Doing a little deep cleaning before my little sister comes for a visit in a couple of weeks and hunting up yard sale items. Waiting to start a new project, found some real looking barn wood wallpaper, got it ordered and once in will redo the dining room, not sure how many walls I'll cover in it just yet, but will have the largest for sure, and will hang all my old kitchen utinsels on it. This wallpaper looks so real I had to touch it in the store to see if it was real or not! I figure it'll do till I get my dream cabin one day! Back to work for me! Good topic!

www.sageflowerfarm.blogspot.com

www.herbalfarmstead.blogspot.com

www.countrypleasures.motime.com
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2006 :  04:30:30 AM  Show Profile
Hi girls,
A little cooler today, so I'am ready to GET AT IT. Could have used a little more sleep then I got last night.Was up from twelve until about two, read a new cookbook my daughter won, did a little crafting, looked at some magazines, up at 5.45.
Anyway, sheets are in the wash, heading to clean out the fridge, mop some floors, put some chicken out to thaw for dinner, with cole slaw and baby potatoes. Think after all this heat a real dinner is in order.
Sure wish I had my sewing machine, but have not heard from the repair people yet, just having it gone makes me want to use it.
Maybe, I mean it is possible, I will get something good in the mail too, like Sunshine did. Wouldn't that be fun??
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

Bluewrenn
True Blue Farmgirl

1122 Posts

Erin
Texas
USA
1122 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2006 :  05:52:42 AM  Show Profile
Got up at 6 am and started the laundry, went grocery shopping and when I got back, hung out the laundry. At 8 went into the doctors' office where I am filling in for the gal on vacation. The office was quiet, so I did some internet research most of the day - checking out duck and chicken breeds... After working all day, came home to dishes and dinner, went over hubby's progress with the preparations for our new land, watched some reality tv, fed the kitties and went to bed.

My Homesteading Journal
http://toomyvara.livejournal.com

My craft journal
http://bluewrenn.livejournal.com
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2006 :  06:11:36 AM  Show Profile
Today is FINALLY cooler.My Grandma used to make us all get up real early to do the housework, she said you never know when the president or queen might stop by,I guess its possible that the queens carriage could have a wreck down the road and they would have to come to our house for help. Well I believed her, and told my kids the same thing, and now I tell my Grand daughters too. Scare tactics for cleaning. Well it certainly made me a morning person!
Going to run out to the store to see if the Fall Country Sampler magazine is out yet, still haven't found it.
Did you see where the MJ stitching book is coming out in October? I pre ordered it on Amazon.
Hope the weather is cooling down for everyone, some 70's would be great.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic WHATS GOING ON TODAY? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page