YiberryYadeeKarin
True Blue Farmgirl

343 Posts

Karin
Spokane Valley WA
USA
343 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2011 :  1:50:25 PM  Show Profile
Does anyone have an idea of how I can get the flies out of my house!!! I bought two fly strips that are made in Sweden and don't sound as if they're totally toxic like some of the other ones I looked at. One has caught a few flies but the other one, only one so far. Erg!!! I'm not sure why there are so many in here but if anyone has a good idea of how I can try to get rid of them without using something totally toxic, that would be GREAT!!!

Thanks in advance!

Karin

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2011 :  4:40:31 PM  Show Profile
fly predators will get rid of them outside, which will stop the cycle, and will lessen or rid them all together..

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

ranchmama
True Blue Farmgirl

360 Posts

Elise
Rosebud MT
USA
360 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2011 :  2:35:40 PM  Show Profile
We've had them bad this summer too. I got the trap and toss things. They use an attractant, not sure if it's toxic or not, but it does work. I set it out by the door we all ways use and the number of flies inside the house droped. They are $5 and I got them at Ace

Last year I heard of another trick. You take a ziploc baggie, put a few pennies in and fill it half full with water. You hang it or nail it in the sun and it keeps the flies away, it sorta messes with their eyes or something. I can't use that at the house because my door isn't in the sun all day, but my friend does, and she said it helps.

Gosh the flies were bad this year!

Every Child Deserves Our Love &
A Bear of Their Own
http://ATeddyForKeeps.org

http://ranchmama.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2011 :  2:46:36 PM  Show Profile
UGH! I know exactly what you mean. We're near a carrot plant and their water pits produce flies! Like reminicient of the plague kind of flies. I'm going to put up some of those bags with water that the flies can't get out of.... can't think of their name.... but that doesn't help in the house any.

Excuse the mess & the noise, my children are making happy memories
Go to Top of Page

woolgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

901 Posts

Elizabeth
Great Lakes IL
USA
901 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2011 :  3:41:03 PM  Show Profile
I sympathize with you. They are terrible here this year too. All I have been using is a super-duper fly swatter and husband with lightning fast reflexes!

Liz
Farmgirl #1947
www.militaryfarmgirl.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2011 :  06:47:44 AM  Show Profile
I don't know if this will work inside, but outside try this trick: When I visited a restaurant in Dallas once, near a cattle farm, they hung plastic bags with water in them tied at the top with string around the perimeter of the outside restaurant. Curiosity killed me, and I had to ask what they were for. They said it keeps flies away - something about their vision. I will say there were no flies outside while we were eating.

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/
Go to Top of Page

maryk
Farmgirl in Training

30 Posts

Mary
Barrington RI
USA
30 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2012 :  11:44:34 AM  Show Profile
Fly control needs to be done on a regular basis. Sticky traps do work, but that's not the only thing you need to do. Make sure your garbage has a tight fitting lid, or they will breed there in meat that has been thrown away. If you have anything moist left out they will leave their larvae on that to. There are many us companies that make different fly control products, check some of them out.
Go to Top of Page

traildancer
True Blue Farmgirl

485 Posts

Loyce
Glide OR
USA
485 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2012 :  1:05:05 PM  Show Profile
I went camping in the snow this weekend. It was cold. Nevertheless, as soon as the inside of my trailer warmed up flies were appearing! I don't know where they were hidden as the living part of the trailer is shut up and I never notice any flies when my last camping trip is over. Very annoying. It wouldn't be so bad if they would just LAND somewhere instead of bouncing off the walls like a pinball.

The trail is the thing.... Louis L'Amour
Go to Top of Page

wandaj
Farmgirl in Training

38 Posts

Wanda
Buffalo NY
USA
38 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2012 :  09:34:02 AM  Show Profile
Flys can be the most annoying pest around. You don't want natural predators in the house. There must be a natural spray that you can use in the house. I have see and used a natural spray on ants even in the kitchen. Guess we will all learn together.
Go to Top of Page

maryk
Farmgirl in Training

30 Posts

Mary
Barrington RI
USA
30 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2012 :  10:21:16 AM  Show Profile
It's amazing that a fly can be around in colder weather. Sounds like they hideout and waited for you to come back. Are they getting smarter????
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2012 :  12:10:13 PM  Show Profile
With the on and off again cold weather it has been a challenge here. Sometimes I get the vaccum out and just stand and suck and suck and suck. Other times when the temp get really low I wake up to hundreds dead - I do a happy dance and vacuum them all up and repeat over and over and over again. I figure I would rather have the flies then live in the city. Good luck and just remember our flies aren't like the ones in Africa or India which can spread horrible illness..

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

22angel
True Blue Farmgirl

498 Posts

Pam
Manitoba
Canada
498 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2012 :  5:00:53 PM  Show Profile
Flies hide everywhere! I was very surprised when I moved upstairs (& even when I lived downstairs) about how few flies there actually were! (Now spiders were a completely different story!) Not that I'm complaining....I had quite a few this summer, but that was because my the screen for my patio door doesn't shut all the way & I can't make it stay tight at the top. I think it needs to be replaced. Anyhow, I saw a recipe for homemade fly paper & it looks easy enough.

100 ml (3 1/2 oz) corn syrup
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp white sugar
6 strips brown paper (cut from a paper bag)

Combine the syrup & sugars in a shallow bowl.
Poke a hole at the top of each strip of brown paper. Soak paper in the syrup mixture over night.
Scrape paper strips across the edge of the saucer to remove excess syrup & hang the finished fly paper strips near windows & doors.
Replace when strips are covered.

Maybe this will help you with the flies....

Life isn't about finding yourself. It's about creating yourself.

"When I grow up, I want to be dirt." seen on a box through construction in Wyoming 2010
Go to Top of Page

maryk
Farmgirl in Training

30 Posts

Mary
Barrington RI
USA
30 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2012 :  8:40:59 PM  Show Profile
I like the vacuum trick. Wait for cold air and suck em in!! Thanks for the recipe for the fly paper I'm gonna try it this summer. Oh wait better start now. I think its funny when they get in the frig, bye bye!!!
Go to Top of Page

wandaj
Farmgirl in Training

38 Posts

Wanda
Buffalo NY
USA
38 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2012 :  08:17:23 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for all the wonderful ideas to get rid of flies!! I sure hope they work. Got to try something.
Go to Top of Page

maryk
Farmgirl in Training

30 Posts

Mary
Barrington RI
USA
30 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2012 :  09:15:05 AM  Show Profile
I haven't seen any posts lately but iI did find this impressive site for fly control. Check it out should help us all.
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2012 :  12:40:32 PM  Show Profile
I have heard wonderful things about Fly predators from our friends that have horses.

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

garyw965
True Blue Farmgirl

51 Posts

Gary
Hemet CA
USA
51 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2012 :  2:25:15 PM  Show Profile
Wow you girls are really up on those nasty little pests, annoying flies.
Go to Top of Page

maryk
Farmgirl in Training

30 Posts

Mary
Barrington RI
USA
30 Posts

Posted - May 23 2012 :  10:47:30 AM  Show Profile
Has anyone had any success with fly control yet? Not a bad time to start.
Go to Top of Page

wandaj
Farmgirl in Training

38 Posts

Wanda
Buffalo NY
USA
38 Posts

Posted - May 24 2012 :  11:02:27 AM  Show Profile
Having the knowledge in how to get rid of flys is a plus. There are so many ways, but you also have to know what type of fly you are dealing with too.
Go to Top of Page

garyw965
True Blue Farmgirl

51 Posts

Gary
Hemet CA
USA
51 Posts

Posted - May 31 2012 :  09:46:36 AM  Show Profile
Yes, kids love to swap them pesky little flies. I know when I was a kid we used to love to kill them. Great fly prevention for my grandmother.
Go to Top of Page

erowease
True Blue Farmgirl

294 Posts

Lesley
Edmonds wa
USA
294 Posts

Posted - May 31 2012 :  11:32:12 AM  Show Profile
I fill an empty soda, beer bottle part way with balsamic vinegar and a tiny bit of oil to catch the fruit flies.

Lesley

"I see God in the eyes of every child...every life is precious to God, whatever the circumstances." Mother Teresa
Go to Top of Page

maryk
Farmgirl in Training

30 Posts

Mary
Barrington RI
USA
30 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2012 :  08:30:29 AM  Show Profile
ACV and dish soap is another good one for fruit fly control.
Go to Top of Page

wandaj
Farmgirl in Training

38 Posts

Wanda
Buffalo NY
USA
38 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2012 :  11:48:21 AM  Show Profile
When I was a kid I always enjoyed sitting on my great grandmothers porch, with a flyswatter in one hand and a drink in the other. We were grandma's first defense on how to get rid of flies.
Go to Top of Page

maryk
Farmgirl in Training

30 Posts

Mary
Barrington RI
USA
30 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2012 :  2:22:59 PM  Show Profile
I guess you could use any type of vinegar as long as you had an slippery substance where the flies couldn't get out. Great fly control
Go to Top of Page

Lorie.Vance
True Blue Farmgirl

200 Posts

Lorie
Tampa FL
200 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2012 :  6:47:41 PM  Show Profile
Buy a fly bag from home depot. We hung on on our carriage house and collected thousands in just a few days. Didn't even know there were that many around. We keep replacing the bags as they get full but see less and less flies and they don't come in or around the house at all.

Lorie

http://thevintagegardengirl@blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

wandaj
Farmgirl in Training

38 Posts

Wanda
Buffalo NY
USA
38 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2012 :  09:50:15 AM  Show Profile
A fly bag from home depot. Would that be the same thing as putting pennies in a bag. One way on how to get rid of flys. Can you reuse that fly bag?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic FLIES!!!!!!!! ARGH!!!! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page