Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Official Farmgirl Sisterhood Members
 Help ! I need Tea party Recipes
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Official Farmgirl Sisterhood Members: Previous Topic Help ! I need Tea party Recipes Next Topic  

beccab
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

Rebecca
Arab Alabama
USA
1 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2011 :  08:22:55 AM  Show Profile
Ok my fellow Sisters i need help with some tea party recipes for finger sandwhiches and such, I've heard cucumber sandwhiches are a nice idea so if anyone has that reciped it would be greatly appreaciated...Send me some ideas girls ! Thank You !!

We All deserve to be loved...

Merry
True Blue Farmgirl

765 Posts

Merry
Ankeny Iowa
USA
765 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2011 :  09:03:31 AM  Show Profile
banana bread or carrot bread with cream cheese, or date nut bread with preserves and cream cheese. Cranberry sauce, thin sliced turkey and a soft farmer cheese or goat cheese. Curried chicken salad. I recently saw where someone took those 4oz jelly jars and made little key lime tarts in them! Or you could serve little fruit salads in them, Cute!

Merry
Farmgirl #536

http://afarminmyheart.blogspot.com/

Your life is an occasion, rise to it. Mr. Magorium
Go to Top of Page

Colleen Easlon
Farmgirl in Training

49 Posts

Colleen
Port Orford OR
USA
49 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2011 :  11:33:44 PM  Show Profile
Hot artichoke spinach dip, always seems to be a hit. =)
Go to Top of Page

luckilady
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Jennifer
Loxahatchee Fl
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2011 :  07:18:11 AM  Show Profile
I always take large and small croissants and make ham and swiss, and turkey and cheddar for the sandwiches, along with tomatoe and cucumber sandwiches for the veggie lovers. I cut the white bread in large circles using a large mason jar as a cut-out, and just use mayo on all sandwiches and a little salt and pepper. Simple and my ladies always love them. I too always serve a banana, carrot or pumpkin bread along with loads of jams and cupcakes and cookies and petit-fours on serving trays. If you are having little girls the peanut butter and jelly uncrustables are always a huge hit. I love the idea of hot artichoke spinach dip, might serve that for my next one, thanks for sharing that Colleen! Have fun, I so love tea parties :)

~Jennifer

Life is 10% of what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it. ~ John Maxwell

Farmgirl Sister #3375
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2011 :  07:22:45 AM  Show Profile
How about Benedictine sandwiches and curried chicken salad sandwiches? Benedictine is a cucumber/cream cheese and green onion spread with a lovely, delicate flavor. I always add a little watercress to both. Curried chicken salad is always a hit, with red grapes and nuts--I always just make my own with chicken poached on the bone in breasts--the most tender.

This is the recipe I use the most for benedictine--it's a Kentucky Derby Tradition around our house!
http://www.atasteofkentucky.com/shop/kitchen/kentucky-benedictine-spread-recipe.html

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Lady Woodworker
True Blue Farmgirl

259 Posts

Karen
Chamberlain Maine
USA
259 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2011 :  07:50:38 AM  Show Profile
One super-easy thing I had at a recent party were frozen grapes, broken into easy-to-hold handfuls.

So, rather than pulling grapes from a large clump of vine, each guest can simply pick up a little handful since the large clump was pre-torn into smaller parcels.

I don't know how long the grapes had been frozen--not long since they were not solid--just slightly
icy-crunchy on the outside. I'm sure that with a little experimentation it would be easy to figure out how long they should be in the freezer before serving.

Very refreshing and beautiful.

Karen

Farmgirl Sister # 2419
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2011 :  03:46:33 AM  Show Profile
Hi there! I just got done planning an entire high tea for my church's ladies group. Here's what we had:

Tea (Of course)
Lemon curd
Whipped cream
Honey
Butter
Egg salad in puff pastry
Chicken salad in puff pastry
Herbed Cream cheese sandwiches (Like benedictine)
Scones
Oreo Truffles
Cookie varieties

If you look these up on allrecipes I'm sure you'll get results. I made the microwave lemon curd and it was a HUGE hit. The Oreo truffles were, as well. Good luck! If you need any help let me know!

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2011 :  07:12:53 AM  Show Profile
Sounds like it was a hit, Megan! Good job on all the food--it's making me right hungry, sitting here at my desk! If you have a recipe to spare for the Oreo Truffles, that might be something to make for my husband!

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2011 :  9:19:36 PM  Show Profile
Number one teatime treat for me is scones with clotted cream and strawberry preserves! I use the scones recipe in the old-old-old Joy of Cooking book. So good and easy to make. I can buy clotted cream from a local farm, but you can also just whip whipping cream to part the whipped-cream stage (not quite butter) and that'll do. Megan's menu sounds lovely. I would also supply lemon curd for the scones. In lieu of scones, you could use store-bought mini-croissants. Most grocery store bakery sections seem to have them.
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2011 :  9:23:46 PM  Show Profile
Jonni, I love curried chicken salad with grapes (although I use seedless green ones cut in half) and nuts (pecans, in my case). I always add a dash of lime juice and some cinnamon, not too much mayo -- just enough to bind it all together. People love it. And it's perfect on croissants, as you say. Girl, you're makin' me hungry! :)
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2011 :  9:25:26 PM  Show Profile
You may want to check this book out, I bought it a loooooooooong time ago (like 20 or more years ago). But, it has a lot of the traditional recipes for tea parties in it.

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2011 :  02:14:03 AM  Show Profile
hmmm, I thought for sure I added the link, but I guess I didn't. Any way, good thing I came back! I came back to say, if you click on look inside the book you can see at least 4 or 5 complete recipes. http://www.amazon.com/Little-Book-English-Teas-Cookbook/dp/0811810119/ref=dp_ob_title_bk

I also like to make other "finger foods". Like pinwheels are a staple-tortillas or other flat bread, spread with cream cheese (I like to season the cream cheese, usually with dry ranch dressing powder, but you can do a lot of different things to it-add pineapple, peppers, what have you), deli meats, and roll up. I put in the fridge over night and then cut into pinwheels. (this gives it time to kind of set up and stiffen the cream cheese so you don't get "flat" pinwheels). Deviled eggs are always a hit as well. And I like little tartlets. You can use premade tart shells, or phyllo dough, and fill just with pudding, but don't make it as "thin" as pudding use powdered milk, enough powder to make the amount of pudding called for-ie if the recipe calls for 2 cups of milk, in the brand of powdered milk I use that means 2/3 cups of milk powder, then I just cut back on the water I add to it. This gives it a rich flavor with all that milk, but makes it firmer like pie filling instead of thin like pudding. Add some berries to the top.

And I really love chilled soups, like cucumber, and especially my favorite is strawberry soup! Yogurt, frozen strawberries, a bit of vanilla and sugar in the blender, and yummy! Here's the recipe I used last time I made it, it's soooooo good, of course you can use full sugar/full fat ingredients as well.

3 cups frozen unsweetened strawberries, thawed
1 cup skim milk
3/4 cup plain fat free yogurt
1/4 cup Cary's reduced calorie maple syrup
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 (4 serving) pkg sugar free strawberry gelatin
1/2 oz chopped pecans (2 tablespoons)

Go to Top of Page

marthajane
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

Anna
Orlando FL
USA
196 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2011 :  2:49:31 PM  Show Profile
the cucumber sandwiches I can speak to...
I made soybean mayo...soy flour about 2 tablespoons, pour over 1 cup boiling water, then strain that after 5 mins and drizzle in the soy oil 1 part oil to 1 part strained soy flour mixture...you need the blender
this is great with sliced cucumbers on bread. for xtra flavor i put a small pinch of cayenne pepper in the boiling water.

Happiness IS being a MoM
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2011 :  8:38:31 PM  Show Profile
Oh Heather, I have that book! I love love love it! It has absolutely fabulous recipes in it, and not difficult to make. I'm so glad it's still available. I'm sure lots of farmgirls will want to snap it up ;-)

Edited by - Rosemary on Aug 26 2011 8:42:36 PM
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2011 :  9:40:58 PM  Show Profile
Me too, I love this book. I bought it when I was about 13 years old, (so more then 20 years ago! lol) and used to pour over the book and plan out my "tea" parties. I got it at a little Victorian store on vacation. I just love it! I must say I think the older dust jacket is cuter then the newer one shown on amazon. But, oh well, the recipes are what matters. and like you said simple, mainly easy to find ingredients, and looks pretty authentic as well-as far as old style tea parties go. I HAVE to have another tea party soon! Maybe soon after this baby is born I can have another one!

BTW, I had one for my DD and niece last winter and I used sandwich cutters from the grocery store and made PB sandwiches, and the cutters cut them into dolphin and heart shapes. They loved them! lol haha

I think I want to make the potted meat sandwiches next time!

I used to also like the old Victorian magazine tea party recipes. One I will never forget was using a cookie cutter flower shape, and just honey wheat bread, making pb sandwiches and marmalade, cut a hole (the middle of the flower) in the top slice of bread before putting on top, and they were the cutest sandwiches ever! lol haha

Go to Top of Page
  Official Farmgirl Sisterhood Members: Previous Topic Help ! I need Tea party Recipes Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page