Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2011 :  4:47:31 PM  Show Profile
Anyone else have worms for composting? I just brought home my little worm farm. I've got red wigglers. It seems like it is going to be pretty easy to do and I'll have wonderful castings for fertilizing. My children are super happy and are always asking to hold their worms.

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2011 :  5:25:35 PM  Show Profile
When my kids were younger (they are all in their 30's now), we raised worms under the rabbits, sold them for fishing and of course had them in the gardens and compost piles, have not thought about them for awhile, funny story, my daughter brought some to school, and had the school calling real quick to come get them cause all the other little girls and some boys, plus the female teachers were all on the other side of the school terrified, lol...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2011 :  5:32:30 PM  Show Profile
We're worm farmers. I have 2 bins going right now. I need to harvest the compost. I've been putting it off.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My new blog - http://citychickadventures.blogspot.com/ Come visit me!

Farm Girl #790

http://pinterest.com/debbie_s/

https://twitter.com/EllieFunt

Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2011 :  5:47:13 PM  Show Profile
Glad to hear there are others! I just have a small bin at the moment but it's a good start and it was free! I'm just getting into Satin rabbits so I was thinking I might do some under the rabbit cages too. I'm wondering if I couldn't put them in my manure piles (I have goats, rabbits, horse, chickens etc.... so we have no shortage of manure available. Just thought it might be nice to have them work it all up for me before I put it on my garden.

Funny story about everyone being terrified! They're worms not snakes. My daughter would not have an issue at all. When we were putting the worms into the bin both her and her brother were asking to hold them. :)

Excuse the mess & the noise, my children are making happy memories
Go to Top of Page

AmberNWichita
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Amber
Wichita Kansas
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2011 :  11:35:36 PM  Show Profile
I just learned about worm farms, I'm going to start a worm farm soon. My toddler will probably be playing with them more than any of my other big kids.

I want there to be no peasant in my kingdom so poor that he cannot have a chicken in his pot every Sunday.
Henry IV
Go to Top of Page

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2011 :  12:32:54 PM  Show Profile
We have lots of worms too. I started out with some under the sink but then we got overcrowded, so now they live in the compost pile.

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

Do not ask the Lord to guide your footsteps, if you are not willing to move your feet--Dr. Kioni

http://madame1313.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

chickenladycris
True Blue Farmgirl

77 Posts

Cris
Prairie Farm WI
USA
77 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2011 :  09:42:50 AM  Show Profile
Hah! I just put up a "new" post asking the same question. Should have scrolled down further...
Anyway, regarding the putting them under the rabbits, do they live after the winter? It gets really cold here (down to -20 or less), and while I know they will be buried in the deep litter under the cages, won't they freeze? Or do they hibernate?
And, for those with worms in the kitchen, do they smell?

"A farmgirl can never have enough chickens!"--me
Go to Top of Page

AmberNWichita
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Amber
Wichita Kansas
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2011 :  3:30:42 PM  Show Profile
I was going to ask that same question Cris. It gets pretty cold here also.

I want there to be no peasant in my kingdom so poor that he cannot have a chicken in his pot every Sunday.
Henry IV
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2011 :  7:04:05 PM  Show Profile
they will freeze in winter. you would need to bring them in. or like us ours are buried in the soil in bins below the frost line here. we get to -10,

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Worm Farmer Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page