windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4269 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4269 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2011 :  09:23:04 AM  Show Profile
I have 2 sheep. Had them about 5 years. One wether, one ewe. Been together since I got them. The wether has horns that have not stopped growing. We have been able to keep them trimmed as they curve around and would go into his head. The point has come that we can no longer trim, as they have grown very close to his head all the way around. So I have decided to send him to market, don't want to, but I have to do something. I don't think I can actually have him dehorned, cause I think it would kill him. So my question is what do I do with the ewe. Yes I would like to get a couple more sheep, for wool, again. But I don't know when that would be. And I think the ewe would have her heart broken and be totally lost without her buddy. So do I keep one, or sell 2? Could use some ideas.

Michele

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2011 :  1:48:32 PM  Show Profile
Couldn't the vet come and saw off part of the wethers horn so it does not stick into his head. YOu could ship him and get one of this year's lambs to keep you ewe company. or if you are looking just for wool look around for an old ewe that people are going to cull and accept her into your herd.

Holly

Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2011 :  10:01:15 PM  Show Profile
I agree with the vet idea or find someone who has done it before to saw off the horns....I wish I was there I would gladly do it for you.....just don't let anyone come at him with a jigsaw....you can use a very fine toothed small saw...the best is get the saws that look like thin wire, they cut faster, don't scare the sheep with the vibrations.....now if you do this go to the feed store & buy those rubber bands used to casterate sheep with....put one on each horn down near the head but not too close to the head about 1 inch away....this will actually dehorn the sheep with no pain what so ever.....now you may have to do it yearly to keep the horns short but you don't have to worry about an infection caused by the burning of the horns....just know it will take time & not to remove the bands until the horns fall off....but first do get someone to come trim them for you til you can get the bands.....hope that helps....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2011 :  10:09:33 PM  Show Profile
i thought i had posted here about the band. i am confused. you can band the horn close to the skull or even part way down the point. the band pinches the horn. it dies off where the band is. i assisted a vet once last year. dexter bull horn going into his head. they had done him once years before. they just took off the area that was a problem. then years later he did it again. i think it is very humane. i have a couple dexters i am going to band. they are going to be milkers. just another idea for you. happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2011 :  2:41:14 PM  Show Profile
I remember my Grandfather had a cow with a horn that was just about to grow into her eye. My dad helped my Grandfather they sawed that horn right off. The cow appeared none the worse for wear.

Audrey

Toto, we're not in Kansas any more!
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4269 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4269 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2011 :  04:33:05 AM  Show Profile
I had read that people did not like the banding method on horns. They said it really bothered the animals. They said it was worse then cutting. I just know the sheep are very sensitive to pain, it seems to me.
What about bleeding, if you put bands on about an inch above the skull?
thanks
Michele
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2011 :  12:11:26 AM  Show Profile
You are working with a part of the body that is made up like our finger nails ...what you take off shouldn't cause any bleeding as it is done very slowly over time so that the horn area under the band dies & the part nearest the head hardens & creates a new seal over any blood vessels & horn that is left.....I think the people who don't like banding are talking about casterating which yes can be quite painful until the area goes numb.....remember the horn is quite hard so that there should be no pain when they are put on at all....& the blood vessels will be near the top of the head not going down thur the horn....if you are unsure call a vet who knows of this method & talk with him/her about it compared to cutting or burning so you have peace of mind over what you want to do...good luck honey...Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic what to do Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page