Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic "Friendly" rooster? Next Topic  

chickenmom
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Toni
Tucumcari NM
USA
76 Posts

Posted - May 09 2011 :  8:33:54 PM  Show Profile  Click to see chickenmom's MSN Messenger address
My hubby was washing cars today and up walks this banty rooster to drink water out of the puddles. He was obviously very thirsty and hungry. We had some feed left from our chickens (which a neighbor's 2 dogs disposed of-another story) which we threw to him, he ate, and ate and ate, and would have kept eating except we stopped feeding. He's now sleeping contentedly behind a crate on our carport (we're urban farmers) He tried to jump up to roost on several items, but could only jump about 2 inches high, so he settled for a dark corner. I've never dealt with roosters, only hens. Have any of you ever had a friendly rooster, that doesn't spur you? He seems very docile, and not fearful. I'm hoping he's not just being friendly because he was starving. (very skinny) We'll let him stay around as long as he behaves, we hate to see any animal suffer. I'm hoping he becomes our newest pet, but we'll see. He also has part of his upper beak missing, probably about half of it. Well enough of my rambling. Any comments? suggestions? Have a wonderful evening all!

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - May 09 2011 :  11:16:07 PM  Show Profile
Oh are you lucky...I do have 3 roosters right now that are very nice...no spurs, flying out of coops to kill you...poor little guy does sound like he has been wondering looking for food & a safe place to stay...if he can only jump a few inches he is definitely in poor shape.......Id the beak look like its been cut? some do that to keep them from pecking at other chickens & use them this way in certain cock fighting.....or is it ragged looking like he had to protect himself against something?....If you want to keep him as a pet I would surely try if you can....just give him a safe bedded area while he heals & if you could give him some cooked oatmeal in his feed....if his beak is partly gone he is not getting enough of the dry feed I bet since it shoots out but by wetting it he can get more & fill his crop up nicely.....the reason I suggest cooked warm oatmeal is it takes longer to get thur his system & will help him re-build up the weigh he has lost.....any cooked vegs, pasta, oatmeal ect would be really good for him right now....but in small amounts.....maybe a couple of tablespoons per cup of wet chicken feed....He needs apple cider vinegar badly also to help regulate his insides & get rid of any worms ect that might have decided to call this poor sick boy home....1 capful per gallon of water daily.....Now I should say I am sorry since you probably know all this as you have had hens but I am forever taking in damaged/injured/sick chickens so I have between lots of reading & work figured out a few things that seem to help.........thank goodness he found you!....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

chickenmom
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Toni
Tucumcari NM
USA
76 Posts

Posted - May 10 2011 :  05:45:10 AM  Show Profile  Click to see chickenmom's MSN Messenger address
Thanks Michele. I didn't know about the vinegar, I will try that. Thought about other things to feed him, but wasn't sure what yet. If the food is scattered, he has trouble picking it up, but if there's a "pile" he seems to pick it up okay. Haven't gotten a close look at the beak yet. Thanks for the tips. By the way he "slept" in this morning. :)
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 10 2011 :  06:50:20 AM  Show Profile
oh what a lucky boy he is. to find you and a safe home. we went on a chicken coop tour. there was a roo with a missing top beaak. they put his food in piles so he could scoop up feed. they also fed him cooked oatmeal from a spoon. he did great and was caring for his girls too. let us know and what are you naming him? happy days for him sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6679 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6679 Posts

Posted - May 10 2011 :  06:58:21 AM  Show Profile
How wonderful all of you farm girls are to care so much for this lucky rooster, how wonderful that he has found a home of love.
I have never owned a chicken only birds but they seem like fabulous animals.
Keep us posted of his progress Toni.
Farm girl Hugs,
Debbie

www.etsy.com/shop/CollectThisTreasures

http://debbielynnf.blogspot.com

http://myworld.ebay.com/debbt
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - May 11 2011 :  10:19:23 AM  Show Profile
I have several roosters who ae gentle. In fact I do not waste much on any that are aggressive.
I would try some warm oatmeal maybe add some worms. it sounds like he needs a little extra attention.
Kepp us posted, he sounds great!

Come visit my blog
http://angieruralliving.blogspot.com/

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

chickenmom
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Toni
Tucumcari NM
USA
76 Posts

Posted - May 11 2011 :  10:18:50 PM  Show Profile  Click to see chickenmom's MSN Messenger address
So far our new friend has not left. (He knows when he's got it good!) I almost got him to eat out of my hand yesterday. We were gone all day today, but he's still hanging out. My sweetie has named him "Spurgeon" (get it-spurs) He seems to be doing good with eating, and by the next day already looked healthier. Going to try to post a couple of pictures. Can anyone tell me a breed? Thanks again for all the help. Can always count on the "Farmgirls"!
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - May 13 2011 :  1:37:57 PM  Show Profile
Toni how is your new guy doing?...Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

chickenmom
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Toni
Tucumcari NM
USA
76 Posts

Posted - May 13 2011 :  4:08:07 PM  Show Profile  Click to see chickenmom's MSN Messenger address
Spurgeon is doing great. He crowed this morning for the first time, not loud thankfully as we live in town. :) His feathers are already brighter and healthier looking, and he's plumping up. He has not left the backyard since he discovered it. He probably thinks he died and went to rooster heaven. He's still very gentle and a little fearful. He'll come right by you but if you move he runs. I was in the garden yesterday and dug up some grubs. He loved 'em, had problems eating bigger ones because of his beak but did great with the small ones. Whenever we go outside he runs toward us looking for a handout, so he's gotten used to us. I do have some pictures just need to take the time to post them. Thanks all!
Toni
Go to Top of Page

chickenmom
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Toni
Tucumcari NM
USA
76 Posts

Posted - May 14 2011 :  07:11:07 AM  Show Profile  Click to see chickenmom's MSN Messenger address
Okay lets try to upload Spurgeons pics... hopefully this works!

Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lou
True Blue Farmgirl

2325 Posts

Susan
Lonsdale MN
USA
2325 Posts

Posted - May 14 2011 :  07:15:29 AM  Show Profile
What a handsome guy! He is so lucky to have found you.
Susan

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"
Mary Oliver
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 14 2011 :  07:21:17 AM  Show Profile
Susan, this sounds awful, but I wonder if the bottom beak could be filed down to match the upper so it would be easier for him to eat. But he seems to be doing fine the way it is. I wonder why people do that? He is definetley a game room. I wish I could send you some of my game hens! Then he would really be in rooster heaven. I have 2 game hens sitting together on a nest of eggs that should hatch any day now.

Have fun with your new friend.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - May 14 2011 :  6:44:02 PM  Show Profile
Oh honey he is the sweetest looking like guy! His upper beak looks very damaged but am so thankful he can eat...as for the filing down the lower beak you can actually do that using fingernail clippers but you have to be so very careful not to get to the darker area where there is blood......I had to do this with Willow who had a overly long bottom beak so I would trim it to the area where it was darker...its very noticable whats alive & whats like our nails...but since he is still very leary & runs if you move I would not try to even do this at this time...just let him be...as you say he is eating & fatting up so he is doing alright as he is...but if ever he goes down hill you might want to try this with your husband help...its a 2 person job....if you understand what I mean...they do not like being held tight & holding their head while you try to do it....anyway honey I am so happy for you that he has made you his new family...Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

chickenmom
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Toni
Tucumcari NM
USA
76 Posts

Posted - May 14 2011 :  8:57:55 PM  Show Profile  Click to see chickenmom's MSN Messenger address
He's getting a little more trusting each day. He will come right next to you, but not let your hand get near him. He followed my husband everywhere he went today. (into his shop, etc.) We were in the yard this morning and when we came back into the house he starting crowing as if he wanted us to come back out. When we did he stopped. He seems to like company. He likes to sit in the garden. So far he's not realized it edible (thank God) but I'll be glad when the plants are too big for him to sit on! :) He did "scratch" up one of my cucumber plants this morning, oh well... Even with his beak he gets along well, brighter and healthier each day. Will keep you posted! Thanks for all the help.
Toni
Go to Top of Page

chickenmom
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Toni
Tucumcari NM
USA
76 Posts

Posted - May 29 2011 :  8:25:26 PM  Show Profile  Click to see chickenmom's MSN Messenger address
Well Mr Spurgeon healed up nicely. First day he could only jump about 2 inches off the ground (maybe). After a week or so he was making it to the top of our 6ft fence. He followed my husband everywhere. When he worked in his shop, Spurgeon would go in there and hang out. He went in one evening perched on the side of a box and went to sleep. After that he thought that's where he wanted to bed down. If the shop wasn't open, he would pace from there back to the yard "crying" until we would open the door to let him in. Then of course he would crow beginning about 5-6 each morning for us to let him back out. He would follow our cat also, although she didn't seem to appreciate the company as much.:) This week we found him a good home in the country. (The lady loved him as soon as she saw him.) We wanted to keep him, but in town roosters are allowed as long as no one complains (we were fortunate that no one did while he was here, but it was a matter of time.) He's a great little fellow, and we were glad to have known him the short time we did. Thanks again for all of your help and concern. Farmgirls are the best!

Toni
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 29 2011 :  9:27:45 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That is too bad that you couldn't keep him, but I am glad you found him a good home!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - May 30 2011 :  04:08:51 AM  Show Profile
That was wonderful that you found him a loving home! :)

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - May 30 2011 :  08:19:49 AM  Show Profile
We have a pretty nice one, but we don't ever let him get behind us either. As long as he has the ladies nearby, he's pretty good. The kids have caught him before too. Sounds like you have a hungry one.

Farmgirl #800
http://pioneerwomanatheart.blogspot.com/

http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - May 31 2011 :  01:58:51 AM  Show Profile
That is great you found him a home. Is it not amazing how easily they touch us?!

Come visit my blog
http://angieruralliving.blogspot.com/

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

mustang sally
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Jaime
Idleyld Park OR
USA
4 Posts

Posted - May 31 2011 :  1:52:40 PM  Show Profile
Dear ChickenMom- I once had a very friendly, large rooster I named Popcorn. He was such afriendly little guy when he was a chick, and I often fed him out of my hand and stroked his head. He grew up to be huge, but as docile and loving as a chicken can be! Enjoy your new friend!

Fear not tomorrow- God is already there.
Go to Top of Page

mustang sally
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Jaime
Idleyld Park OR
USA
4 Posts

Posted - May 31 2011 :  1:56:20 PM  Show Profile
Dear ChickenMom- I once had a very friendly, large rooster I named Popcorn. He was such afriendly little guy when he was a chick, and I often fed him out of my hand and stroked his head. He grew up to be huge, but as docile and loving as a chicken can be! Enjoy your new friend!

Fear not tomorrow- God is already there.
Go to Top of Page

chickenmom
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Toni
Tucumcari NM
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2011 :  7:55:01 PM  Show Profile  Click to see chickenmom's MSN Messenger address
Update on Mr Spurgeon... Talked to the lady who adopted him finally, she said it took him 2 days to settle in at his new home. About the same time he arrived, they put all of their pullets out into the yard. He immediately took over. They recently put another batch of young girls out, he confiscated them also. He now has a "harem" of about 40 hens, and his new nickname is "Pimpdaddy"! What a guy! She said when he first arrived he would sleep in the rafters of the hen house. Now he sleeps surrounded by all his "girls" They love him at his new home and said he was the nicest rooster they'd ever had and was very glad they took him in... He's been very entertaining everywhere he goes. Just wanted to let everyone know, love does win!
Have a super day!
Toni
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2011 :  04:44:17 AM  Show Profile
Cute! Glad he was able to find a loving home where he was...um..."needed". LOL!

We had a roo that showed up in a storm once, his bottom beak was badly damaged, much like your guy's top beak. His story didn't turn out so well, though, because as soon as we healed him up he turned on us like...I don't know what! He went totally psycho! You just never know what you're going to get with a roo. We have a VERY nice one now, but it took us quite a few roos to find one that wasn't insane! :)

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com

www.thehmmmschoolingmom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic "Friendly" rooster? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: