Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2006 :  07:51:22 AM  Show Profile
I was just thinking that since I have moved to much more natural and safe cleaning ways and means over the last almost ten years, I have a few favorite housekeeping/cleaning resources that I go back to over and over - in combination, of course, with all of the tips I get here!!!

The books I go back to are:

The Naturally Clean Home by Karyn Siegel-Maier
Clean House, Clean Planet by Karen Logan
Herbal Homekeeping by Sandy Maine

What resources do YOU use?

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe

Georgia
True Blue Farmgirl

92 Posts

Angie
ballwin mo
USA
92 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2006 :  12:44:51 PM  Show Profile
I've got Home Enlightenment by Annie Bond, but it seems like the things I have tried don't work very well. Maybe I will try one of your books. Which one do you use the most?

dreamer
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2006 :  3:06:27 PM  Show Profile
I keep coming back to "Clean House, Clean Planet," but I just love all three -

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

katiedid
True Blue Farmgirl

601 Posts

Kate
West Jordan Utah
USA
601 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2006 :  7:34:21 PM  Show Profile
I am glad to see this, as I would like to buy a good book, but don't really know where to start.
Thanks ladies, keep 'em coming.
Kate
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2006 :  10:13:31 AM  Show Profile
Oh! There are also the two books that MaryJane has mentioned in her magazine - I think as hints from someone here on our forum - "Vinegar" and "Baking Soda" by - and I hope I'm remembering the author correctly - Vicki Lansky. I checked these out of the library, and they have some great information in them, too...

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

katiedid
True Blue Farmgirl

601 Posts

Kate
West Jordan Utah
USA
601 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2006 :  6:41:27 PM  Show Profile
Libbie
Where do you buy the Sal Suds? My skin is super sensitive, so I have to be careful with laundry soap. I would like to try Sal Suds, the regular soap is good, but I might like it better.
Thanks
Kate

http://theknifemakerswife.blogspot.com/2006/07/knifemakers-wife.html
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2006 :  10:41:59 AM  Show Profile
I buy SalSuds by the *gallon* down here at our local hometown health food store - it runs around $35 per gallon, which sounds expensive, but I really don't go through it all that quickly - 1/4 C. per load of laundry, etc.

If you can't find it up in your neck of the woods, do you want me to pick up a bit for you to try? Of course, the bottles come in smaller sizes!!!

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

BettyWeeks
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Betty
Cincinnati Ohio
USA
50 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2006 :  2:19:28 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Libbie

I was just thinking that since I have moved to much more natural and safe cleaning ways and means over the last almost ten years, I have a few favorite housekeeping/cleaning resources that I go back to over and over - in combination, of course, with all of the tips I get here!!!

The books I go back to are:

The Naturally Clean Home by Karyn Siegel-Maier
Clean House, Clean Planet by Karen Logan
Herbal Homekeeping by Sandy Maine

What resources do YOU use?

XOXO, Libbie

True Happiness: Something to do, something to love, and something to hope for.
Go to Top of Page

mommom
True Blue Farmgirl

854 Posts

Susan
Lancaster Pennsylvania
USA
854 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2006 :  2:35:33 PM  Show Profile
I have been a "housekeeper" for others for about 23 years now and I am not one to use a lot of smelly, strong, nasty cleaners. I use a lot of vinegar, baking soda, and Murphys Oil. These products are not irritants for my sinuses and I don't end each house with a headache. I use vinegar in my white laundry, also, and baking soda makes a very good conditioner in the rinse cycle. Murphys is great to use on furniture and just about anything.
Go to Top of Page

BettyWeeks
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Betty
Cincinnati Ohio
USA
50 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2006 :  2:40:20 PM  Show Profile
Hi Libbie:

I am new and erroneously posted your message again. I think I have it this time. I was looking for the books you mentioned and was so happy to find "Clean House, Clean Planet" by Karen Logan. And, I found it in my favorite bookstore, Half Price Books. I can't imagine that anyone would let go of the book, but they did. For anyone who doesn't have this bookstore in their town, it is a store that buys your used books and resells them. All books are half price of their original selling price and when on clearance, they go for one to three dollars. I got this book for 4.98. I love it. I haven't had time to read much of it but browsing through I already found a money saver for me, making scented baking soda. I buy scented powder and shake on my mattress pad and inside my pillow cases to have great smelling beds. Now I can make my own with baking soda and essential oils. Thanks for your post.

Betty

Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2006 :  8:48:51 PM  Show Profile
Betty - that sounds like such a good deal - not to mention a great bookstore. That's one thing I really miss about living in as rural an area as I do. No bookstores. Not a-one.

I think you'll really like "Clean House, Clean Planet." I sure know that I do!

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

BettyWeeks
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Betty
Cincinnati Ohio
USA
50 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2006 :  8:02:22 PM  Show Profile
Hi Libbie: It is a great book. If you are interested, you can buy online from halfprice books at wwww.halfpricebooks.com They offer really good deals. Got bronchitis so haven't felt up to doing much. Will post again soon.
Betty

Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2006 :  9:29:32 PM  Show Profile
Betty - are you feeling better? Bronchitis is no fun at all!!! Thanks for the link to half-price books - I know I'll be checking and comparing to Amazon all the time, now.

And, Susan - I DO love Murphy's oil soap, too. My mom used it for so long - still does - and that smell is just one of "clean" to me. It really is a good all-purpose one, too. I hadn't thought of baking soda in the laundry rinse water - how much do you put in per load? I've heard of the vinegar in the rinse water, but not baking soda until now.

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

BettyWeeks
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Betty
Cincinnati Ohio
USA
50 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2006 :  12:10:19 PM  Show Profile
Hi Libbie, sorry I haven't posted before now. Was pretty sick, thank you for your concern. Don't usually get this in the summer, but anyway I'm well now and glad to have had some time to read. It took awhile to get caught up at work and now I'm ready to start posting. Have been reading the posts and enjoy them so much. Am going to post the rest of my story in the Welcome section.
Betty

Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2006 :  2:36:57 PM  Show Profile
Glad you're back and feeling better!...I'll check out the Welcome section!

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2006 :  2:44:38 PM  Show Profile
I like "HOME SAFE HOME" by Debra Lynn Dadd. I have a feeling I heard of it in a MJF magazine, however. If it isn't already known by everyone, I recommend it.

Ann

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2006 :  4:45:08 PM  Show Profile
I also like the two books by Cheryl Mendelson, "Home Comforts" and "Laundry." They aren't about non-toxic housekeeping per se, but she includes a lot of safety information on household chemicals and cleaners and very detailed information on housekeeping in general. Even if the thought of doing all of the housework that she recommends can sometimes make my head spin, I DO like reading about it!!!

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2006 :  11:09:16 PM  Show Profile
I'm ready to add a couple more new discoveries - "Home Safe Home" by Debra Lynn Dadd and "Organic Housekkeping," by Ellen Sandbeck. The two combined cover about anything I could possibly imagine asking or wondering about natural, safe housekeeping. Comprehensive seems like somewhat of an understatement...

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2006 :  09:44:29 AM  Show Profile
Libbie, I also have "Home Comforts", by Cheryl Mendelson. I appreciate your comment-- I really enjoy reading it, but feel overwhelmed by her standards for a clean house. ... and although she does comment on some unsafe practices, she isn't organic. Since you've mentioned her, I'd like to say that the French book, "A Well-Kept Home" is really good reading.... and interesting, as well. Laura Fronty and Yves Duronsoy wrote it, and the "Victoria" magazine excerpted from it in one issue. As I recall, spiders were the remedy for moths in woolens. Easy to see how different this one is!

Ann

There is a Redeemer.

Edited by - Phils Ann on Oct 15 2006 09:47:29 AM
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2006 :  7:55:51 PM  Show Profile
I'll check and see if I can get a copy of "A Well-Kept Home" throught inter-library loan - I have plenty of spiders here - some in the linen closet already, I'd venture to say - this could be my kind of well-kept home!!!

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2006 :  7:58:39 PM  Show Profile
Ann - nevermind!!! I just found it used on Amazon for $4.25. Yay!!!

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2006 :  05:27:29 AM  Show Profile
Libbie, you have a treat ahead of you! I looked through that book after giving the info and again thought how much I like it. There are lots of safe and natural tips from our French sisters in there. I also have lots of spiders--we live in the woods and bring wood inside for the woodstove, so spiders are always present. Yet.. adding them to my stored woolens hasn't been done intentionally! On the other hand, using lemon juice to make whites brighter is a welcome tip!
XO back to ya,
Ann

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2006 :  7:29:48 PM  Show Profile
Thanks again for the heads-up -- I can't wait for it to arrive!

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2006 :  7:37:00 PM  Show Profile
Ann - I just received a copy of "Home Safe Home" (a used book on Amazon bargain! Yay!!!) that you mention and it is one interesting book - it really is opening my eyes to potential toxins and unhealthy things around the house. Good to know, and a little scary, to boot! Thanks for the recommendation.

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2006 :  06:14:33 AM  Show Profile
I agree, Libby--it is a bit scary. I need to pull it out more often, though, and find out more that needs to change. Meanwhile, I've been using a lot of vinegar and borax around the house. The farmgirl ideas are always really helpful!
Ann

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2007 :  08:30:05 AM  Show Profile
It was just occuring to me as I was cleaning last night that one of the most important resources for safe homekeeping is COMMON SENSE! If you or your loved ones cough when a certain product is used, common sense tells us to stop using it. There are so many great hints and instructions for using nontoxic and natural cleansers - and I just love them - but good ol' common sense can go a long way, especially in households that are just beginning to be interested in more healthy homekeeping. That being said, I've found that just a little bit of borax in a quart of warm water can clean all that "stuff" that gets on the handles of white appliances off quick as a wink!...just some thoughts...

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 HomeSafeHome: Previous Topic Resources for Safe Homekeeping Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page