Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Magazine: Call for Entries
 HomeSafeHome
 Fraudulent Telephone Solicitations
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author HomeSafeHome: Previous Topic Fraudulent Telephone Solicitations Next Topic  

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2005 :  10:18:18 AM  Show Profile

Good morning to all my friends of the Farm Girl Connection,
This is just a Heads up for all of you as I was on the receiving end of one of these this morning.
During this time of disastous hurricanes we are all filled with a desire to do what we can to help.
It is not surprising then that there are people out there who will take advantage of our vulnerability when our gaurd is down. I received a phone call at an early hour this morning from an unidentified caller at a seattle number [1-(206) 774-1901] who identified himself when I answered the phone as a member of "The Washington State Fraternal Order of Police"
He spoke with a heavy accent and broken english. He was reading from a script soliciting funds for the anti drunk driving campaign and was frustrated when I interrupted him in the middle of his statement. I wanted his name which I could not understand and I wanted to tell him that I do not participate in telephone solicited fund raisers and instead prefer to send my donation moneys to the places I choose on my own as the need becomes apparent. He got rude with me and began to argue so I hung up on him and called the police in Port Townsend to see if the call was a real call and report the caller as rude and pushy. I was told that there is no such solicitation campaign going on at this time and was directed to call the FBi in Silverdale to report the incident. I was told that even though the phone number identified on my caller ID was a Seattle one it could have originated from over seas so they could be targeting other areas besides this one. Just thought I should pass this information on to you as a heads up.
Eileen

Songbird; singing joy to the earth

SDPogue
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Sara
Pullman Washington
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2005 :  11:01:03 PM  Show Profile
It really makes me mad when people use charity as a means to defraud people. I found that a lot of phone solicitors for charity don't really send your money to the charity - it goes to the telemarketing company. GRR - they prey on your generousity. No wonder it gets so hard for real charities to get donations.

See what I have been up to in my community. www.geocities.com/sdpogue
Go to Top of Page

AnnieT
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

Annie

287 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2006 :  8:01:34 PM  Show Profile
Sadly, there are similar problems in the military world. My DH is a Marine, and lately, some of the families have been getting phone calls from someone pretending to be from the Red Cross, telling them that their loved one has been killed in action, and to please verify their social security number (presumably to steal their identity).

There will always be someone willing to take advantage of any situation.

Visit the Bramblestitches store: www.bramblestitches.etsy.com
Visit me at my blog: http://bramblestitches.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

jenny louise
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

jennifer
cass city MI
USA
166 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2006 :  05:50:14 AM  Show Profile
How sad that we have to be so careful, and suspicious. I have had calls and don't know if they are authenic or not, but I let them know that i help my local community, those in my own area that can directly benefit from my generosity. I try to donate time and goods to projects going on here. Jenny
Go to Top of Page

Tamara
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

Tamara
Kent Wa
USA
1 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2006 :  12:02:38 PM  Show Profile  Send Tamara a Yahoo! Message
I really appreciate you posting this because I got the same phone call this morning. He called me TWICE! The second time he called I told him that I had googled his number and that it was revealed he was pulling some kind of scram. He told me he could give me the 1-800 number verifying where he was from and I told him the number that came up on my caller Id was posted as a scam so he should think about that. He said "oh ok well thanks for telling me" but he continued to deny it was a scam. But he finally did hang up after some attitude. Thankyou for the posting.
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2006 :  1:19:30 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
yeah they use to call us when we lived at our old house. I asked for name and originnaly thought it was a real thing and said keep me on your list for next year then he got irrate and started swearing . And claiming I wasn't a good american because of sept 11 I should want to help at the time my husband was unemployed like know but 5 months into it we where moving into the inlaws in about 4 weeks due to lack of money and had a new born baby ( 3 months old) and about 13,000.00 in medical and partially paralized from complications to the birth. I said sorry but I had more pressing things on my plate and he said nothing is more pressing than police. I then said take me off your list I am never donating again to any thing but my church and hung up. I still do somedonations of money but am super careful like I give to scouts and church and school programs and certain help groups that I know are legal. Other than that, that one phone conversation changed the way we do business. Same name as yours except utah.

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe
my web store www.sunshines.etsy.com my other web store http://vintagethreads.etsy.com/
my blog http://sunshinescreations.blogspot.com/ my google page http://sunshine.harbaugh.googlepages.com/home
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2006 :  5:36:36 PM  Show Profile
When I get those solicitation calls I just very gently hang up the phone. Same with surveys and political campaigners. Don't say no, don't make excuses, just hang up. They rarely if ever call back. I know we were taught as children that it is rude to hang up on someone, but I look at it that I am saving them some time, so I am doing them a favor.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow

Edited by - brightmeadow on Oct 08 2006 09:27:03 AM
Go to Top of Page

Penny
Farmgirl in Training

16 Posts

NC
16 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2006 :  6:26:31 PM  Show Profile
I hung up on one caller one time, and he called me back to call me an ugly name, and then hung up on ME! I didn't have caller ID at the time and had no way of tracing him. He was trying to sell windows and vinyl siding! What a salesman!
Go to Top of Page

mommom
True Blue Farmgirl

854 Posts

Susan
Lancaster Pennsylvania
USA
854 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2006 :  7:35:26 PM  Show Profile
Thank you for the warning. I've heard of this before and it is very upsetting. It's a sad world we live in. Thank you again for thinking of us! Susan
Go to Top of Page

Courtney
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

1 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2007 :  3:59:09 PM  Show Profile
Hey Eileen!
Thank you for heads up. They are at it again! A rude man from the same unknown phone number (206)774-1901 called. This time he spoke good English. When asked to ID himself, he said he was from Zentel but wouldn't give his name. He was rude enough for me to look up the number. Thankfully you had your post even though it's now 2 years later.
I did a Seattle search and found this link that leads to people at this number:
http://www.peoplefinders.com/Summary.asp?vw=People&Search=People&Input=Phone&x=0&y=0&phone=2067741901
Results for (206)774-1901 show:
Name, Address and Phone on OBRIEN, WEST XIMENA
3 unique addresses in Lynnwood, WA
1 unique address in Marysville, WA
1 unique address in Tacoma, WA

LYNNWOOD, WA
MARYSVILLE, WA
TACOMA, WA
Possible Relatives:
OBRIENWEST, MARGARET (Age 70)
OBRIENWEST, ZIMENA I (Age 66)
OBRIENWEST, M E (Age 70)
YUND, XIMENA W (Age 44)
YUND, CLINTON J (Age 45)
WESTBYHELTON, BRENDA A (Age 42)
WEST, HOPKINS J
WEST, XIMENO O
Go to Top of Page

UrbanChick
True Blue Farmgirl

331 Posts

Ayako
Atlanta GA
USA
331 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2007 :  4:03:01 PM  Show Profile
I use this website alot to verify numbers www.whocalled.us just type in the number and some info and you can see who's been called on this number and the amount of complaints.

"Courage dosen't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying: I will try again tomorrow."
Go to Top of Page

beckels
True Blue Farmgirl

237 Posts

becky
warrington pa
USA
237 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2007 :  01:59:02 AM  Show Profile
Even though we are on the do not call list we still get phone calls (cell and home) and I just tell them to hold and just put the phone down and down come back for a long time or hang up....

But lately I havent been answering any phone calls unless I can tell who it is on caller id on my cell. my home phone everyone goes to the answering machine no matter what. After taking 200 or more phone calls a day at work I cant stand talking on the phone

beckels
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2007 :  07:40:04 AM  Show Profile
You know, it was really refreshing for me to take a look at the telephone, and most technology, really, as a convenience. That means that not everything is entitled to my attention equally. For instance, if my boys need or want me and the phone rings, it's the boys who get my attention, and the phone gets the answering machine. I used to feel really stressed when things like that would happen at the same time, and now, I've realized that things with feelings come first. It's not that the person on the other end of the line doesn't have feelings, it's just that there are living things right in front of me that get first priority.

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page
  HomeSafeHome: Previous Topic Fraudulent Telephone Solicitations Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page