Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 "Those who plant trees will live forever"...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic "Those who plant trees will live forever"... Next Topic  

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2005 :  4:33:46 PM  Show Profile
from James Michener's Chesapeake. My favorite character in that book believed her legacy were the trees she left behind for the future generations .We rented a little house when first married & there was a spot crying out for a weeping cherry so I went ahead . Today it is a glorious shape and size and we drive by every year to see our tree. We plant atleast one new tree each year and the variety has been interesting. I usually know by now what I would like but since this is a family project we all get a vote. Sometimes I have been fortunate to acquire plants from clients but just as often we've gone to the home center, WalMart (had great fruit trees surprisingly), or even more budget friendly the soil conservation district or forestry service sells bundled seedlings for almost nothing. It's fun to take pictures of all the kids that traipse through my house and see how they and the trees have grown. Some of the trees "belong" to them because they were here to plant them with us. We took this project to the elementary school and added 10 trees in the time my son was there. It's amazing how a small thing can grow and hopefully these kids will remember and carry on the tradition with their families. I know it made a difference when the kids were playing after school and a ball hit a newly planted tree and one of the kids said" Please try to aim away from our tree, we want it to grow very tall and beautiful". AMEN!

with a happy heart

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2005 :  8:03:53 PM  Show Profile
That is wonderful..enjoyed reading it.
I try really hard to plant at least one tree a year too. Last April we planted two crabapple trees out front. I just love the look of them and the shade someday will be nice. I planted an apple tree the year before in the back yard. THis year I have my heart set on apricot trees. I want to plant two. We will see. Trees are so amazing to me. We inherited 2 really old big apple trees and a whole row of wimpy plum trees with really tasty plums when we moved in here. I just love them all. I only wish I could have a lemon tree here!!!

Jenny in Utah

Bloom where you are planted!
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2005 :  09:23:54 AM  Show Profile
I agree, I have planted a legacy of trees and shrubs and perrenial flowers everywhere we have lived over the past 31 years. It is wonderful to drive past our old homes and see that these wonderful things are still there and thriving. The fact that everyone who has purchased a home where we have begun our gardens is thrilled to have them and more than willing to nurture those we leave behind.
This year it is an orchard I will be planting with plums, apricots, pears,cherries and several apple varieties. Also a small vinyard. Last year it was 3 lealand cyprus,6 photina trees (removed from a friends property already 20 years old) and a couple of new Rhododendrons. The year before that was 1 apricot, 1 apple with 4 varieties on one tree, 4 blueberry bushes(old already)6 old rhododendrons salvaged from a home being demolished for a parking lot,10 raspberry bushes, a weeping larch, 1 wild current and several flowering shrubs. Every year for the past 7 we have planted trees. Such a legacy to leave behind.
eileen

songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2005 :  7:42:31 PM  Show Profile
A long time ago, we had a folk music radio "show" on our local PBS station. They played a song once that has stuck with me forever. Sadly, I've never been able to chase it down. It ties in so well with this topic, that maybe somebody out there knows it? One of the verses (or chorus?) went "if you'll love me for a while, plant a rose for me. But if you'll love me forever, plant an apple tree." Talk about a legacy! Ok now, anybody know the name of this one? Thanks, ladies!
Sharon
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic "Those who plant trees will live forever"... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page