Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Dry Gardening Next Topic  

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2005 :  09:07:29 AM  Show Profile
Many regions of our country are experiencing drought conditions as weather patterns shift and give us new circumstances within which to garden. Here's a link to an article by Ann Lovejoy regarding good plant recommendations for just such conditions. Although it's written with the Puget Sound area in mind, it's applicable to many regions. Hope you find it helpful!
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/nwgardens/214024_lovejoy03.html

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2005 :  09:30:12 AM  Show Profile
Xeriscaping has been around quite a while and quite common in the desert and mountainous areas of this country where natural rainfall is at a premium. It's even become a "style" of landscaping that maximizes color, texture and utilizes little water. The Denver Botanic Gardens used to have a great plant list available for people interested in this type of gardening. There are also tons of sites if you type in XERISCAPING. The one draw back is that this type of gardening doesn't usually lend itself to all the bright annuals we use for color, a xeriscape garden is usually more subdued and subtle in tone. But when in Rome...plant like a Roman!

with a happy heart

Edited by - bramble on Mar 03 2005 09:33:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2005 :  06:22:37 AM  Show Profile
Clare, Thank you, thank you for the link! We have suffered almost 8 years of drought in central Kansas... I have lost many beloved trees, crops, and flowers because of it... We use our own private well and have seen the water table drop 12 feet in just the last five years...Water is a precious resource and I am always looking at ways to conserve it. I have been exploring drought resistant plantings and this link will certainly add to the knowledge...

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century.
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Dry Gardening Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page