Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Cleaning Up
 Do you ever cheat on your laundry?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Do you ever cheat on your laundry? Next Topic
Page: of 2

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2011 :  1:33:43 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
After you have done a load of whites, red, blacks and blues, you look down and see a half of a load of blacks and half of a load of blues...

Do you ever just throw them in together? Or even worse...whites with some colors just to get them done? I really only have a chance to do laundry about once a maybe twice a week and I know that if I don't get the loads done... then they just sit there. So sometimes I cheat and throw stuff together that shouldn't be together. Anyone else do this just to get it done?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2011 :  2:27:01 PM  Show Profile
Alee - I combine reds, pinks, oranges, yellows and tans in one load, blue and black and dark browns and greens in another, lighter blues grays and greens in another, and then whites by themselves. And my husband's work clothes always have to be washed by themselves - including his white socks. He just gets too dirty at work to do it any other way. I did have to toss a few whites in the wash this week, but had so few they couldn't make a full load. I tossed them in with all blues (thinking that it could work like "bluing" - LOL!), and they came out fine. It's really, really hard because my son is so tall that just a few of his clothes can fill the washer by themselves, so I always have to get the most out of each load. I used to be very strict about single color loads, but that went out the window when I decided to stay home. So far, so good! :) Don't think of it as cheating - we all have to do the best we can. :)

Do you use gray water, too? I started using gray water from dishes and water-boiled and steamed foods in the wash cycle. (Unsalted vegetable water goes right into the garden). Saves on time (filling up the basin) and conserves water. I've had no problems yet, which was really surprising. It even seems that my clothes are softer now than before, too. It's pretty great. I know there are other gray waters that I could probably be re-using, but it's a start. I often catch myself just as I'm about to dump something down the sink and think, "MaryJane would re-use this! In the washer it goes!" :)

Have a great weekend!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

www.papercraftingwithnini.myctmh.com

Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2011 :  3:00:43 PM  Show Profile
I do a load of whites, lights and darks, otherwise I would be doing 96 loads aday, lol...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

plantcarazy
True Blue Farmgirl

116 Posts

Jenn
Montana
USA
116 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2011 :  3:17:16 PM  Show Profile
I am totally guilty when it comes to just throwing it all in together sometimes! With two toddlers zooming around, dinner still yet to be planned, the dog scratching at the door to come in, and the phone ringing all at the same time, I kind of feel like the laundry gods will forgive me just this one time! LOL! I see no harm done, well... unless it is a new article of clothing that sneaks in there, that happens to be flaming purple or something, and the whole load turns lavender- What an adventure laundry land can be sometimes!

......Born again Farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2011 :  3:26:32 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Nini- I don't use grey water because since I can only do laundry once a week I would run the risk of rusting out my drum in my washer since it would just sit and sit and sit. However, when we buy our own house I want to build a grey water reclamation system. I want to have all my bathwater and all of my laundry water route to a water tank outside the house. Then there will be a slow leach of this water to the garden. I am really excited about the concept. There will have to be some sort of diverter switch though so that in winter we can have it go to the septic since we have hard freezes up here.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

SusanScarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

317 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2011 :  4:46:05 PM  Show Profile
I catch the water that runs until my shower water gets warm in a bucket and use it in the garden. I also use the gray water from when I rinse dishes after handwashing.
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9403 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9403 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2011 :  6:11:56 PM  Show Profile
I have always just done, lights, darks and whites. Towels are their own load and so are sheets.Never have had a problem. Takes longer to get a full load since there are just two of us but I do my husbands work clothes all in one. I usually have about 4 good size loads a week. It has
been quite a change from doing laundry for 5 to doing it for 2.

farmgirl sister#43

O, a trouble's a ton or a trouble's an ounce,
Or a trouble is what you make it!
And it isn't the fact that you're hurt that counts,
But only--how did you take it?

--Edmund C. Vance.
Go to Top of Page

woolgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

901 Posts

Elizabeth
Great Lakes IL
USA
901 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2011 :  6:31:35 PM  Show Profile
I had to laugh at the title of the post Alee, sorry! I was thinking I cheat on my laundry all the time...I should be spending time with it but I have a secret affair with crochet that takes me away from it! LOL!

Liz
Farmgirl #1947
www.militaryfarmgirl.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

mindy_marie
Farmgirl in Training

20 Posts

Mindy
Fargo ND
USA
20 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2011 :  8:15:14 PM  Show Profile
I wash everything together. I'm single, live in an apartment, and have enough laundry for one load a week so I just wash it all in cold water and have never had a problem. Splitting it up seems wasteful of both water and quarters to me :)

Mindy
Farmgirl #3290
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2011 :  8:17:44 PM  Show Profile
Elizabeth (Woolgirl) I feel your pain! My husband often does my laundry for me (he is the nicest man in the world) and he often just fills up the washer. I have too many other things to do to worry about laundry! I can't complain when he puts my still-damp slacks into the laundry basket and piles a bunch of damp jeans on top of them -- even though they get wrinkled, at least they are clean...

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2011 :  8:35:32 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Elizabeth- yes I agree the title is kindof funny. I hoped it would trigger a couple giggles but I also couldn't think of a different way to phrase it! LOL

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

Cabin Dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

54 Posts

Brenda
Cortland NY
USA
54 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2011 :  05:37:37 AM  Show Profile
Guilty! I generally sort my laundry as: whites, jeans, towels, sheets, lights, darks. The only color I do recall washing separate are reds. My biggest bad habit is not paying attention to any stains on my clothing before I wash them - then cuss when I notice a stain as I pull the load out of the dryer - eeeek! when will I learn!

Farmgirl #1954
Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2011 :  12:30:06 PM  Show Profile
I sort my laundry as: whites, towel, delicates, jeans/heavy pants, assorted colors, sheets. Always have and everything comes out fine. If I have a new piece of clothing that is red then I will wash it seperately. I check for stains before washing. If my husband is doing it as he sometimes does he just does; whites, darks, heavy. Still comes out okay. I sometimes think the soap companies want us to use lots of their soap.

~Nancy
Farmgirl #2301
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2011 :  12:39:41 PM  Show Profile
Horror! I do not sort my laundry any further than cold water and warm water. Don't tell anyone though. ;)

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com

www.thehmmmschoolingmom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2011 :  08:04:09 AM  Show Profile
well i had to post on here our challenge. with cows a milking and barns to clean we have LOTS of laundry. so if papa helps me out i find stuff all washed together. now this is not often BUT i am hopeful we can overcome this.. i find the poopy wash cloths ( special colors) from the milk cows udder washes in with my stuff. i hate it. so gross. i am watching craigsL. for a washer that sanitizes. but finding the washrags in with other stuff freaks me out. yes alee at the end if i have whites and darks and i want to be done i throw them in. LOL so now you know my dirty secret. happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2011 :  08:15:53 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Sherry- maybe you need just an old washer in the milking barn so the rags don't come up to the house?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

tammyknit
True Blue Farmgirl

135 Posts

Tammy
Reedsburg WI
USA
135 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2011 :  09:13:12 AM  Show Profile
Lights, darks, and socks/undies/bras. If I have something I am pretty sure will have the color run, I might be more careful or put a Shout Colorcatcher in the wash load. I learned about them when quilting to keep the colors from running together when washing a new quilt or prewashing new fabrics. My husband is pickier than i am and usually does laundry in the winter (when we use the dryer);)

Tammy
Go to Top of Page

smiley
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

lea
pea ridge arkansas
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2011 :  8:20:30 PM  Show Profile
I am glad to see I am not alone in 'cheating'!
Go to Top of Page

Merry
True Blue Farmgirl

765 Posts

Merry
Ankeny Iowa
USA
765 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2011 :  8:23:45 PM  Show Profile
that's the way my husband laundry!

Merry
Farmgirl #536

http://afarminmyheart.blogspot.com/

Your life is an occasion, rise to it. Mr. Magorium
Go to Top of Page

homsteddinmom
True Blue Farmgirl

441 Posts

Brandee
bullard tx
USA
441 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2011 :  07:30:16 AM  Show Profile  Send homsteddinmom a Yahoo! Message
I wash everything together except whites. My grey water runs outside to water the trees! All of my grey water goes outside, washer, showers, sinks.

Homesteading Mom in East Texas. Raising chickens, Rabbits and goats here on my farm!
Go to Top of Page

22angel
True Blue Farmgirl

498 Posts

Pam
Manitoba
Canada
498 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2011 :  8:06:28 PM  Show Profile
I "cheat" on laundry all the time! I generally only do laundry once a week, and I do my jeans/shorts/pants together, then colors (lights, darks, in-betweens, whatever) all together, then towels & rags (I hate fuzzies!) & sheets. I've never had a problem with anything running, but then I don't often wear light colored t-shirts/tops. If I do happen to have them, I'll wait & wash them when I have enough to do a load of whites or delicates. I also generally wash only on cold water (habit from my mom - she didn't often have hot water for washing. Our hot water heater was dying on us when we moved & then the hose or the tap leaked for the hot water on the washer...so we only ever used cold water for everything. Not so great, considering that her water is very hard - I bet you could get all of your minerals in one glass full, and probably more! Haha). Also helps that I don't buy a lot of things "new" (Value Village or hand-me-downs work for daycare!), so I don't have to worry so much about colors running.

Life isn't about finding yourself. It's about creating yourself.

"When I grow up, I want to be dirt." seen on a box through construction in Wyoming 2010
Go to Top of Page

Roseann
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Roseann
Pittsgrove NJ
USA
17 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2011 :  07:09:40 AM  Show Profile
I totally cheat somedays!

- Roseann
Farm girl Sister #3382
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2011 :  06:39:43 AM  Show Profile
HA! I mix my darks and lights all the time. LOL! I live on a farm-not exactly a fashion important place! My husband's clothes are always covered in grease anyway. I just throw it all in together. If whites need to get brighter I'll bleach them.

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2011 :  8:54:51 PM  Show Profile
I believe with my whole heart that laundry should be cheated on! I do. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. LOL
I am also of the belief that vacuuming should also be cheated on in a big way. I do that too!!!!!!!!!! When my dh asks when was the last time I vacuumed, I tell him "Oh that thing is broke again. I'll fix it. It's sensitive.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

phonelady
True Blue Farmgirl

323 Posts

Carla
Loveland Colorado
323 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2011 :  1:57:26 PM  Show Profile
I do lights and darks in cold or slightly warm water. Since I don't buy red or pick shirts I don't have to worry about that one [learned about that a long time ago when I put something purple in there and I came out with pink underwear - Yuck!].
Water and soap conservation is more of a deal for me.
And putting a shot of vinegar sanitizes things so I can mix yucky stuff if I want.

Sherry, the washer in the barn or around there sounds like a better solution. We used to do that with the auto rags and stuff.
Smiles!
Carla

It's not just life-
It's an adventure!

http://familyhistoryfindings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

momdrinkstea
True Blue Farmgirl

180 Posts

Elizabeth
Ozark AL
USA
180 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2011 :  9:27:48 PM  Show Profile
My hubby NEVER does laundry, he gave up after he turned a load of his whites PINK!!!!
(Red shirt + white skivvies = BAD idea) At least it was only HIS stuff! Nothing
like a guy in pink undies...LOL!

Stacked Stone Farm
feel free to follow my blog: www.stackedstonefarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Do you ever cheat on your laundry? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page