kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2011 :  04:49:40 AM  Show Profile
I just got done milking and noticed Zarah was holding her back left leg up. And I also noticed that it's quite dangly. So it looks like it's broken. Poor thing. She was just fine last night so it must have happened this morning sometime. And I have no idea how it could have happened.

So I have her in the coop with her momma Abby. I got 2 short sticks and some duct tape. Is that ok to just make a splint with that? I am so broke right now I can't pay attention! This will have to do. But I know she's going to be in pain so is there something I can give her? Or should I at all? I have never had an animal to break a leg before. Please help!

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Edited by - kristin sherrill on Aug 10 2011 12:37:52 PM

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2011 :  06:26:24 AM  Show Profile
Oh Kris I know what that is like. Remember Olivia who broke her leg shortly after giving birth to her sweet Opal.. I put it together like this - first I put Vet Wrap around the leg not too tight so the blood flow will not be hindered. Then used four paint stir sticks to surround the leg - I made sure there was at least 1/2 inch past the hoof because you do not want the weight on the leg but on the splint. Then wrap the splint with duck tape again make sure not to cut off the blood flow. I changed the splint about every three days to check on the blood flow and also making sure that the break is kept in line for propery healing. I had several Vet's who thought she should be put down because her break was in a place that they said would not heal. Today she walks perfectly, no limp and she can place her full body weight on her hind leg... So please keep us in the loop and we will help Zarah thru this. As for the pain, a small doze of baby liquid asprin can be given. I also gave Rescue Remedy - each time I say her and their are other herbal remedies if you are interested. Good luck and know that the body is a great healer if we give it time, love and herbs.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

Melina
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Melina

USA
435 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2011 :  06:40:54 AM  Show Profile
I've also used a piece of pvc pipe, cut lengthwise, an inch longer than the leg. Wrap and secure it in place with vetwrap, but not too tight. I saved a leg on a border collie who chased cars with this. Owner was too cheap to take her to the vet.

The morning breeze has secrets to tell you. Do not go back to sleep.
Rumi
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2011 :  07:01:04 AM  Show Profile
oh kris, i am so sorry. what a thing to have happen. i so hope it heals fast. i would make a comfrey poulice and use it also. they call comfrey bone knit. it helps healing. sending hugs sherrrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2011 :  07:38:46 AM  Show Profile
I just got back from taking her to my friends at the Pocket Farm. I knew they would help. I got Penelope Jane from them. So Bill held her while Jane held her lg and all the stuff on it so I could wrap it up. She was so good too. Just laid across his lap. And it is really broken good. Right between the elbow and ankle. The long part right in the middle. Just snapped it. I might just go ahead and take her to the vet tomorrow when I go to Summerville just to make sure it doesn't need more attention. But I will see how she does today. I just hate this. Poor thing. And I don't know how it could have happened. But she is only 4 months old so she's young and strong and healthy. Hopefully she will heal and be good to go.

Thanks for all your help, y'all. And I will have to see if I can find some comfrey. Surely someone grows it around here.

I used paper towels, sticks and duct tape. It looks like crap but it will hold the leg in place so she won't hurt it any more.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Karrieann
True Blue Farmgirl

1900 Posts

Karrieann
Northeast Georgia
USA
1900 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2011 :  08:58:35 AM  Show Profile
Kristin.. I am praying for your lil sweetie. (((HUGS)))

Karrieann ~ Farmgirl Sister #766 (29 Sept 2009)

My Blog: ...following my heart, dreams and Jesus ...http://karrieann-followingmyheartandjesus.blogspot.com/
My Etsy ...Yesterday's Scraps, Tomorrow's Treasures ...http://www.etsy.com/shop/2TomorrowsTreasures
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2011 :  09:30:34 AM  Show Profile
Thank you, Karrieann. She is out under the shade tree laying down. I hope she'll be ok. I know it has to hurt.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2011 :  10:50:53 AM  Show Profile
oh kris this must be so hard. i would offer her some molasses water. this is stressful. a little sugar and mineral might help her with the stress part. maybe ice on it. i have comfrey root i can mail you some. you could then grind it and make a poultice. let me know. love ya sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2011 :  11:46:39 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
aww, poor thing! Grace gave some excellent advice! I took a 3 week Vet course and thats pretty much how they did it.
Praying for the little girl!
Hugs,
Hannah

Farmgirl sister #1219!

"Lifes not about the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away."

Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2011 :  05:17:01 AM  Show Profile
oh no! I remember when my horse I had in California broke his cannon bone in 6 spots somehow during the night in his pasture. I hope your vet can fix Zarah! The vet wasn't able to fix my horse. :( Prayers to Zarah and the vet!

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2011 :  05:55:07 AM  Show Profile
I think I know how it might have happened now. I have a cinderblock that I use to prop the chicken coop door open with. It is on it's side so the holes are up. And the goats go in there all the time. I bet she was pushed or ran through and her leg got in the hole and snapped it in two. I had thought something like that might happen but didn't do anything. Now it just makes me sick to think it was something I did. I know I should lesten to my gut. It's usually right. Like yesterday, I had my friend over to bush hog all over. He was going through the gate and the other side of the gate wasn't open as far as it could have gone and I thought I should go over to that side to hold it open. Well sure enough, he hit it and bent it pretty good. BUT, it was actually a blessing because that gate was always hard to open and close. It was too close together. So now it's not. Anyway, I really should do what my gut tells me to next time. I still have the block propping the door open but it is standing UP.

She looks ok this morning. I think the splint will do the job. I need to redo it in a few days and get it just a little tighter. I was afraid to get it too tight so it's slipping a bit but still on. I have some of the tape up over her knee bone to hold it up. I am still thinking about the vet. I need to take Stella in too just for a check up. I just hate to think of all the money it's going to cost. And I still owe for that darn colonoscopy.

Sherrye, if you don't mind sending me some I will pay whatever it costs for it and the shipping. Thank you!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2011 :  05:57:00 AM  Show Profile
Megan, I am so sorry about your horse. That had to be horrible. At the horse rescue farm there is a small horse that has a broken ankle. He gets around pretty good but you know it has to hurt. He was at the slaughter auction and was ridden in. Now that is oure mean. Didn't you just egt another horse?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2011 :  07:29:27 AM  Show Profile
Sometimes you have to take a vet's advice with a grain of salt. Farm vets are often motivated by the practical side of farming and will advocate culling if medical care costs may exceed the worth of the animal, when those of us who see keeping animals as a sacred stewardship don't take "putting down" a creature lightly.
I couldn't get a vet to look at my duckling with the bum leg So I put in the research time to diagnose her dislocated hip myself, massaged it back into place and now she walks and runs so well I can only tell her apart from the others because she's more affectionate.

I've got a good feeling about Zarah, Kris. You'll be able to fix her up with your brand of TLC. It sounds like a nice clean break and an easy heal at this point. Telling you not to feel bad is useless, because I know I'd be beating myself up too in your situation. :( Just comfort her as best you can and keep the other animals from messing with her.

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi
http://silvermoonfarm.blogspot.com/
"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2011 :  2:25:05 PM  Show Profile
i agree with the girls, s--t happens and we all have those voices we sometimes ignore. i will say one time is ok but GET THAT BLOCK OUT KRIS. you know those goats are rowdy. they will knock it over again. i know i get sick of fixing all the little stuff. papa this morning left one gate open. figured no big deal. i got out went back and closed it for piece of mind. in our new milk area we have a bunch of gates. so i want them all closed. the cows are so curious. i will send you some tomorrow. you need to email me your address again. i would use castor oil in the poultice. it carries the comfrey inside the body. you MUST always have clean hands and wound before castor oil poultice. whatever is present will be carried inches through the skin from castor oil. also it can burn so smooth it out with a healing oil. i will look it up for you. but i need a break first. sending hugs sherrye so forgive yourself and fix her up. as in gone with the wind... i just need the dirt from tara and i will worry about that tomorrow.

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2011 :  6:54:13 PM  Show Profile
Tonight after I got done with all the milking and feeding, I spent some time out front with the girls. Sandy is so sweet and when I sit down with them, she comes and snuggles with me. I got her when her and her brother were just a few days old. And she's 5 now. I love her. Then I got Zarah and put more duct tape on her leg so the splint won't fall off. But good greif, you would have thought she was dying! And her momma came running. SHe got between me and Zarah, then between the other goats who came to see what was wrong. So she let me fix up the leg and she's fine. I know it has to hurt bad. Poor baby. I do feel so bad for her. She was just fine, then this. I do believe she will get through this, but it will be hard for her.

I did, Sherrye. But it seems no matter how careful we are, something will happen.Although I have never had anything this bad ever happen before. It sure is not fun.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

mydakota
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

kristi
redmond oregon
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2011 :  08:01:32 AM  Show Profile
I hope this comes out kindly. I really mean for it to. It is coming from a place of working with rescues for years and seeing some of the stuff that comes in and then learning the backstory of how it came to be the way it was.

This goat (it is a goat we are talking about, yes?) has a fracture and needs real medical intervention. She is suffering. It is not the kind of injury that really can be adequately treated at home. ( I agree that many can--this just isn't one of them) I understand that money is tight. We've all been there, myself included. Sometimes the choices involved in animal stewardship are cruel and hard. We still have to make them. A broken leg that is "quite dangly" is one of those times when I really think a choice has to be made to either seek veterinary care or euth. Either choice is a merciful one. Letting the suffering go on for days/weeks/months is not.

I really am not trying to be judgmental here. I am trying to speak for the animal, who cannot speak for herself. I realize that I am new here, and as such don't have much value in the community at large here, so my opinion probably doesn't weigh too heavily. I get that. I also get that I am probably making an outsider of myself with this post. But I have a long history of rescue work, and this is the kind of thing we see all the time. Old, healed over, untreated/inadequately treated injuries that you know an animal suffered long with and is still suffering. Sometimes it takes a great deal of courage to do the right thing. Nobody wants to put a beloved animal down. But sometimes there really are only 2 choices. Euth or treat.

From the bottom of my heart, I am sorry if that sounds harsh. I agree with those who say to forgive yourself for how you think it happened. First of all, it is probably impossible to know for sure, and second of all, nobody has a crystal ball and can predict all the ways in which an animal can hurt themselves. Just get that block out of there now and forgive yourself for not being clairvoyant--and do something meaningful for the animal, whichever thing that is. There is no shame in choosing not to treat. There is only shame in letting suffering needlessly continue.

HearthCricket Farm. Where the door is always open, and the coffee is always on.
Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2011 :  11:36:54 AM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
Kris,

I would have absolutely panicked! I know you will do whatever you think is best for little Zarah. {{{HUGS}}}

Kristi,

I admire you for speaking for the animals! I know you care greatly for your animals too and you are right, sometimes we have to make hard choices to avoid letting them suffer.

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977
http://lazyjbarcfarm.blogspot.com/
www.calicocandy.etsy.com
http://stores.countrycents.com/StoreFront.bok?affiliate_no=6
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2011 :  06:59:50 AM  Show Profile
i am hoping you and zarah are doing ok today????sending hugs to you both. i will try to get the comfrey mailed today. i made a poultice yesterday. sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

mydakota
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

kristi
redmond oregon
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2011 :  07:57:41 AM  Show Profile
I too am wondering how the both of you are?

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2011 :  12:44:12 PM  Show Profile
Ok, I thought I better get back on here and let y'all know what's going on with Zarah's broken leg. I took her to a friend who is a vet. She put the leg in a cast. I am supposed to keep her put up in a stall for a month. I am also supposed to keep checking her foot to see if there is any swelling and the upper leg to see if there is any irritation. If so, it will have to be redone. Also in a month she could outgrow the cast. Anyway, it's been fun for sure. Ha! She seems to be doing great so far. Kathy said there is a 50-50 chance that it will heal. It's not in the best place for a break. Right above the foot. So we shall see. I am praying that it will. She said there are 2 other alternatives. Amputation or put her down. So I think I need to change her name right now.

Thanks for all your concern. I do believe she will be ok. I appreciate all the well wishes for her. Please keep her in your prayers now that the leg will heal and she will be ok. Thanks so much.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2011 :  2:36:39 PM  Show Profile
Kris she sure will be in my prayers. There are a few herbal remedies that would assist and that my Olivia did really well on - Arnica and Rescue Remedy... Please do not give up on her natural ability to heal. Many thought that Olivia would not do well and had two vets say to put her down. Love and Light

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2011 :  07:15:42 AM  Show Profile
sending love and hugs sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

mydakota
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

kristi
redmond oregon
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2011 :  07:44:33 AM  Show Profile
Glad things are looking up for Zarah, and for you.

Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Zarah's Broken Leg Update Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page