walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2011 :  1:53:21 PM  Show Profile
I spray my horse religiously every evening-but STILL he has this GIGANTIC (What I call) bot flies on him. Do any of you know of a spray that keeps THESE guys away? The other flies won't come around, but the BIG ones bite him and leave little swollen areas where they bit, and are laying eggs on his legs. I try to get them off, but they're sticky little buggers.

My Mother in law says they're horse flies, but I know them as bot flies. These are probably an inch long, black. and fat. Are horseflies and botflies the same? In California, horseflies didn't bite-they were just bigger flies that looked like houseflies. These big ones are NASTY and I don't know how to make them leave my poor guy alone!

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2011 :  2:19:59 PM  Show Profile
Megan, horse flys in my area of California DO bite, and leave welts, they are the size of bumble bees and I know when one is around cause the horses go crazy trying to out run them, bot flys are those irredecint blue/green color and lay those yellowish eggs on their legs, a metal flea comb made for dogs will comb most of the eggs off, and any left, I use tweezers to remove. Now as far as shrinking their population, you can buy "fly predators" at most feed stores and they do a wonderful job of killing them, and the best part is, no chemicals, also muscovy ducks are great for flies also...my horses all wear fly masks, and I use orange oil to help deter what ever flys are around...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2011 :  2:30:08 PM  Show Profile
Megan - what about getting a little portable bug zapper and place it in the stable? I got a little plastic one that we use in the house sometimes (always under supervision), and it works great! Just a thought.... Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

www.papercraftingwithnini.myctmh.com

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2011 :  3:22:20 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
They have some good feed-through fly repellants that also repel bot flies. If I remember correctly, the bot fly needs blood to make eggs so if you can prevent them from biting you will also reduce the population that way. Also you can buy a fly repellant sheet for him to wear. www.statelinetack.com has the best prices that I have found.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2011 :  5:16:21 PM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
Wow, those guys sound nasty! We have been using the fly predators for three years now and I'm really pleased at the job they do. Having said that, I don't think we have the bot flies.

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977
http://lazyjbarcfarm.blogspot.com/
www.calicocandy.etsy.com
http://stores.countrycents.com/StoreFront.bok?affiliate_no=6
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2011 :  05:01:23 AM  Show Profile
Where did you order your fly predators? How do you apply it? How much does the 1-10 horse pack last?

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2011 :  09:44:00 AM  Show Profile
got my fly predators at my local feed store, and you just sprinkle them out, ( they are tiny, fly eating wasps, that DO NOT bother anything but flys), they will breed and continually replenish...so I have yet to buy more, and its been several years...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

retasos2
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Pilar
Centereach NY
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2011 :  10:21:23 AM  Show Profile
i'm guessing that the fly predators would survive a NY winter?

Pilar
Farmgirl Sister #2498
Little Hen House on the Island

" A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is, until she gets in hot water" Eleanore Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2011 :  9:13:15 PM  Show Profile
hi girls, gardensalive carries it too.

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

ChickieMama
True Blue Farmgirl

303 Posts

Angela
Banks Oregon
USA
303 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2011 :  11:01:56 PM  Show Profile
I used to use avon's skin so soft spray on my horses and it worked great! I'm not sure if avon still sells it....

Farmgirl Sister#2808
"Happy Hens make Happy Eggs"
http://lazyjoranch.com

Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Flies, flies flies!!!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page