woolgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

901 Posts

Elizabeth
Great Lakes IL
USA
901 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2011 :  11:02:04 AM  Show Profile
We live in military housing, which depending on the base and the neighborhood can vary greatly. Right now we are on the bad end of it. It is actually ridiculous how bad. We have been in this house for little over a year, and in the time have had at least 5 different leak problems, the worst in which the next door unit was vacant and flooded completely, which then flooded into ours. There is an area in the living room that has been a reoccurring leak ever since we moved in. I am frustrated, especially now because since I am off for the summer and am home during the day I have been having regular migraines, as has our neighbor. I suspect it is mold due to how often we have had leaks, and since I have a mold allergy (like most people) I would assume that is why I have been having migraines and Rosemary has been having allergy symptoms.

So I call housing. The woman was mean and rude. I was trying REALLY hard to do the "kill them with kindness," but she sure was making it hard, even telling me that mold in the house is a "outlandish and ridiculous" claim. I finally did to speak with the housing manager, who said maintenance would have to come out and do an environmental assessment. I have yet to hear from them. My husband was talking to another sailor today who has been having the same problems, and had them come out and test for mold, which they had and said was "all ok now." They are going up to the housing office as we speak. I can't keep living like this. It would be easy to say we will just move, but we can't afford to move off base. The Chicago area is so expensive, even up here in the waaaaaaay north suburbs. Plus I decided not to work and go to school full time when I got out of the service, so I don;t bring in much income. GAAAAAAHHHH!!!

Sorry for the rant. I am just so mad and frustrated and just want to cry. Is this the way we treat our servicemembers and their families? I don't expect too much, but I do expect decent, non-harmful living conditions. I guess THIS is why we have in our several years of military service never lived in military housing.

Liz
Farmgirl #1947
www.militaryfarmgirl.blogspot.com

woolgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

901 Posts

Elizabeth
Great Lakes IL
USA
901 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2011 :  12:32:23 PM  Show Profile
Can I just add this:

This is a picture of our back door. Every time it rains it leaks. If I don't vacuum this spot every few days this is what it ends up looking like:

I was just out of town for a week and this is what it looks like. I cleaned it before I left. The carpet skeeves me out enough, but that door frame...that's just gross.

There is also SUPER nice new housing right down the street from us. However, you are supposed to live in these mold boxes for 18 months before you can get into the new houses. Not to be all uppity, but housing in the military goes by rank. My husband outranks most of the people who live in these beautiful, new, single family, 2 story homes. I know that for some people that doesn't make sense, but that's just how it goes. You do your time, you get better housing, that's just the truth (usually). My husband went over to the housing office and the lady said I am a liar and she never said that. She also said she is notifying my husband's chain of command and that they will have to be here for the inspection. My husband is the lead of his clinic. So...she want's what? The Captain? Ugh. This whole situation has me so upset, not just for me, but for my daughter who has to live in this.

Liz
Farmgirl #1947
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2011 :  06:34:58 AM  Show Profile
Liz,
Mold is toxic! You need to get out of there ASAP. I know how the military works (or does not work). Just keep trying, until then try spraying some of that tile cleaner on it. Open the door when you do. Package is going in the mail today!

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

I ask not for a larger garden, but for finer seeds.

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

sonshine4u
Chapter Guru

1205 Posts

April
New Prague MN
USA
1205 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2011 :  12:39:21 PM  Show Profile
Yikes! You need to get a solution. I'll pray for you guys. That's tough!
~april

Playing in the Sonshine
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2011 :  12:57:06 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh my gosh!! That is horrible!! I wouldn't do anything until they come check it out so you aren't a called a liar again, but WOW! If they won't do anything- try spraying or shampooing with straight vinegar. It can kill and sanitize a lot. Most likely it is in your walls, but wiping the walls down on the outside with vinegar can help too. My heart goes out to you. Is there anyway to lodge a formal complaint?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2011 :  3:36:40 PM  Show Profile
Oh Elizabeth! I am praying that they get you out of there quickly. Migraines are no fun either. I'll be praying for your health and getting a new home.

Farmgirl #800
http://pioneerwomanatheart.blogspot.com/

http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

adnama
True Blue Farmgirl

171 Posts

inge
fargo north dakota
USA
171 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2011 :  4:32:10 PM  Show Profile
If this is black mold, it more then likely is in your walls. Mold cannot grow in moving air or in light. Unfortunatly, black mold is toxic as in it can kill you and complete housing developements have been condemned by houseing authorities, as in federal government, it is now wonder that they don't want to acknowledge they have a problem. This is your live here, find out what you would have to do to get others involved, with of course your hubbys approval, if that is not for coming, you need to leave, if this is indeed black mold.
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2011 :  5:01:11 PM  Show Profile
ICK! This just makes me mad. You're living in these conditions and made to feel like a jerk for pointing out an obvious problem. Seriously?? You have every right to be angry, and I'll be crossing my fingers that a solution presents itself soon! :)

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com

www.thehmmmschoolingmom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

woolgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

901 Posts

Elizabeth
Great Lakes IL
USA
901 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2011 :  5:06:55 PM  Show Profile
Well, after some more investigation we have found that others that live in our neighborhood have had mold inspections that tested positive as well. I am concerned bout the areas in the ceiling and walls that have had leaks, which is where these people have had theirs as well. My husband had to meet with the Command Master Chief yesterday because the housing office said he was rude. Luckily he had another sailor with him who could say that he wasn't. So finally after I have called now almost 2 weeks ago someone finally called to do the inspection.

Where we were stationed before had this same problem (we didn't live in housing there though). One person complained, and they found all the units had mold, so they had to be condemned. It makes me feel like they re just sweeping this under the rug so they don't have to do the same here. Base housing is now privatized by a civilian contracting company, so they would lose lots of money if they had to shut down all the old units.

They seem to think I am complaining just so we can get a new house. I put a lot of work into this one. Even though it is military housing, I still like to make it our home. We have painted, put up chair rails, I have planted perennials...why would I do all this work and spend all that money if I just wanted to move?

So frustrating.

Liz
Farmgirl #1947
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2011 :  6:06:03 PM  Show Profile
How frustrating that think you're just trying to get a new house. You're a farmgirl. You're not like the rest of the world! ;) I agree with you - it should be obvious from the work you've put into making this house your home that you're not just looking get out quick. Makes me mad. You know if it was in THEIR house they'd be singing a different song....

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com

www.thehmmmschoolingmom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2011 :  9:14:48 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh that makes me mad and I don't even live in the situation!! That is ridiculous that you would complain about something that is easily tested for! If they just come and test they will see that you are not lying or blowig it out of proportion. I hope they hurry up and get the inspection and test results back! I am SO glad you husband had a witness there with him. Can he file a reverse complaint against the housing office once this is all settled? I think they need to remember how much of a sacrifice it is to sign up for the military! It is appauling to think that our service men and women and their families are having to live in such conditions!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

woolgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

901 Posts

Elizabeth
Great Lakes IL
USA
901 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2011 :  6:49:51 PM  Show Profile
They came out today (the "they" being quite the entourage....my husband, his Chief, someone from maintenance, the woman who launched the complaint on my husband, AND a contractor...whew!) and wouldn't you know it...there are leaks, water in the walls and ceiling, and mold. The water heater (that we can't get to) had been leaking into unit for months I guess, causing the one leak. The other is from the condensation leaking from the AC ducts. Another from a leak in the roof. So they have to:

1. Replace the water heater. It is cracked...bad. They are doing that tomorrow.
2. Come and open up the entire downstairs ceiling. Wrap the AC ducts with something, not real sure what that is though.
3. Replace the ceiling where they can see mold/ water damage.
4. Repaint all the mess.

Oh...my...gosh...

Can I just get into a new house already? :(

Liz
Farmgirl #1947
Go to Top of Page

LaceMistress
Farmgirl in Training

28 Posts

New York
USA
28 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2011 :  03:51:36 AM  Show Profile
Until you can solve the issues, try spraying the problem areas with tea tree oil. It's supposed to help with mold. If the smell is too heady for you, thyme essential oil might also work for you.....allegedly, thyme was used in the world wars as a field disinfectant when they ran out of the alcohol based stuff. Lavender is also a disinfectant. *hugs*

Too much thread, so little time!
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2011 :  08:26:32 AM  Show Profile
vinegar in a spray bottle will help too. open windows and doors. you can put the plastic they use for painting. drop cloths over areas that are bad. it would help with out gassing. foil tape is a good sealer for cracks and seams. when they open the ceiling take photos. some times you are not sick for a yr. or two. you need to documaent the house date line and extent of mold. seriously you could be injured for life. it can damage fleshly enzymes in the liver. they are needed to make red blood cells. if you have medical you need to be tested. it will show if you have it in your lungs. please go see a doc. an allergy dr. would be good. document your migrains and other maladys. i so hope this gets fixed. sending hugs sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2011 :  05:43:33 AM  Show Profile
Yeah, I was wondering if vinegar would help. I remember hearing about tea tree oil and I think eucalyptus oil too? I can't remember. I hope you can get it all worked out, what a hassle! Hope it gets better for you and the mold problem gets fixed!!!

Mothers are those wonderful people who can get up in the morning before the smell of coffee. ~Author Unknown

http://countryrenaissance.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SunflowersAndHoney
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Migraines and Mold Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page