Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 Juicer recommendations?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Juicer recommendations? Next Topic  

LuckyMommyof5
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Suzanne
OH
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2011 :  05:48:51 AM  Show Profile
I was reading the other posts about juicing and thought it sounded intriguing. After four babies, I have A LOT of weight to lose and I really need to improve my eating habit. I love veggies and fruit, but just don't have time to fix and eat them sometimes (or, if I do, I end of just giving all the produce to my girls because they love it so much and I end up eating a box of crackers!) I think if I had a juicer machine that I could at least cut and wash things for them and then juice some for myself to sip on and it would be easier. I don't think I can do a straight-on juice fast because I am still breastfeeding, but the fresh juice might keep me from eating unhealthier snacks.

I checked out juicers online and in the store, but I never realized there were so many and I don't know what to look for. Anyone have recommendations for a good juicer?

And, this may sound dumb, but is there a way to get around needing one? Like, is it feasible to blend the stuff and strain it and you get the same effect?

Farmgirl Sister #3243

"The real things haven't changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures; and have courage when things go wrong." - Laura Ingalls Wilder

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2011 :  07:05:01 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Suzanne- I don't think blending gets as much of the juice out so you would be wasting more money. I would recommend checking out a thrift store. I got mine for $10 and it is great. If I really get into this Juicing thing I might invest in a more expensive version but until I decide how committed I am- I am going the cheap route!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

woolgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

901 Posts

Elizabeth
Great Lakes IL
USA
901 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2011 :  07:10:07 AM  Show Profile
Can I un-recommend one? This is the one I have:
http://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach-67801-Health-Extractor/dp/B001OUIR5A

It is really hard to clean! There is tons of pulp leftover in the machine after you juice, and you have to cut the fruit up pretty small to get it to fit into the machine.

I would like to start juicing again too, but I would want a better machine. This one is more work than it's worth.

Liz
Farmgirl #1947
www.militaryfarmgirl.blogspot.com

Edited by - woolgirl on Aug 16 2011 07:10:46 AM
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2875 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2875 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2011 :  6:45:06 PM  Show Profile
I have the Jack LaLanne model..
& God rest his soul..it is a GOOD one.
Go to Top of Page

LuckyMommyof5
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Suzanne
OH
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2011 :  6:51:02 PM  Show Profile
Liz - thank you so much for telling me about that juicer - I had actually looked at that one because it seemed cost effective! I'll steer clear of that one now!

Alee - I checked the thrift stores and didn't find one yet.

I really think getting into juicing would be a good move for my health, I just need to get a machine that's a good investment. And I don't care if it's a juicer from a thrift store, estate sale or brand new - I just want it to be a good one and not waste any time or money getting the wrong one.

Farmgirl Sister #3243

"The real things haven't changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures; and have courage when things go wrong." - Laura Ingalls Wilder
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2011 :  8:18:01 PM  Show Profile
I on the other hand, really didn't care for Jack's machine, I love Jack and his wife, but hated the tiger juicer he endorsed.

I loved my juice man junior, I also loved pretty much all his recipes in his book. (one comes with the machine then he has one you can buy as well). The one you buy I believe has a "v-8" juice I LOVE. And I don't even like the commercially sold v-8!

I also really like carrot and apple juice with fennel (one of his recommendations for bad tummy aches). And my absolute favorite was a orange, pineapple, strawberry juice! Reminded me of Orange Julius but sooooooo much cheaper and even better! At the price of Orange Julius you would have the machine paid for with in a month! lol

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2011 :  8:48:22 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I need to get some good recipes. Mmm... I need to buy some more things to juice too! LOL

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2011 :  9:05:05 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Okay ladies!! Please share your recipes!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2011 :  01:43:37 AM  Show Profile
My favorite recipe book really was Juice Man's, I would check it out from the library. I still see it on shelves at the stores too, even though the one I bought was probably over 20 years ago.

BTW, I do have a cheaper juicer now that is just about like it, but I can't remember the brand name and sadly it's still packed some where! But, I don't know where! UHG! It was only like 40 dollars I think. My Juiceman was about 100 maybe more, it was a long time ago, but even they have went down in price a lot since then. But, I was shocked my cheaper one was just about the same. However, the tiger I had was expensive and left the juice a weird texture to me, and also was harder to clean.

If you do end up with a Juiceman or one like it, one tip I have for cleaning the "garbage" part, is put a small grocery bag in the "trash can" part of it, then you just have to throw that away and not have to clean that part every time, it's enough work cleaning the rest of the parts as it is! lol haha

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

KathyC
True Blue Farmgirl

583 Posts

Kathy
Gastonia NC
USA
583 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2011 :  8:43:36 PM  Show Profile
I haven't juiced in quite a while and was talking to my hubby about starting again. Wanting to grow my own carrots and beets (my favorite combo). I have a champion juicer which is an extractor type juicer meaning you have pulp left. It works very well, very powerful. This manual has some recipes http://www.championjuicer.com/manual2.pdf.

I also have a vita-mixer that I got on craigslist for about $75 in new condition. This will kinda liquefy your veggies and fruits, a very powerful blender type thing. This site has lots of recipes and ideas for juicing http://www.championjuicer.com/manual2.pdf .

Hallelujah Acres has a nice site with lots of health info and here some of their recipes for juicing http://www.hacres.com/recipes/beverage.

Kathy
Go to Top of Page

Madelena
True Blue Farmgirl

1919 Posts

Mary
Central TX
USA
1919 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2011 :  4:21:54 PM  Show Profile
I have the Jack LaLane juicer and it is great. There is some pulp left over after juicing. I use this in muffins, mixed in meat loaves [meat and veggie TVP} to add nutrients.

Words of wisdom. DON'T juice the peels of citrus fruit.. very bitter. Also take the seeds out of fruits, especially if you use the pulp in other foods. Some seeds are mildly toxic, and when you juice you are using lots of fruit. I ALWAYS clean my juicer, Before sitting down to enjoy my juice.

My complaints about juicing.. If you don't use the pulp, you are missing out on LOTS OF GREAT fiber in your diet. Drinking juices are NOT as filling as eating the fruit or veggies themselves, and JUICING CAN BE EXPENSIVE due to the costs of fruits and veggies these days.

Oh, I checked out the Hallelujah Acres site. A good inroad to healthy eating - I liked it.

And vita mixer is a great product.. but very expensive new. Getting it used was a great find! Enjoy your juice !!

Mary

"But in all things, let there be a balance. As all of nature if left to its own path will seek balance. So should we
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Juicer recommendations? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page