Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic cheese diet Next Topic  

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2011 :  05:57:07 AM  Show Profile
I am horrified at the grocery store prices for cheese. They want $6.59 for 24 slices of real cheese slices. I went home without cheese. I told the kids they are on a "cheese diet" and will be putting pickles in it's place on sandwiches.

I may have to get another goat in milk, to get started on making our own cheese. Even cheap brand milk was over $4.00! I was lucky to find organic milk on clearance for $2.75/gallon.

I have a bad feeling that candy and cookie baking this holiday, will be costly.

Farmgirl #800
http://pioneerwomanatheart.blogspot.com/

http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2011 :  06:42:14 AM  Show Profile
I too am scared about the costs of foods. I'm always making nasty comments under my breath in the store when I see how much prices have gone up from the last time we shopped. :( I think its going to take some creativity to get through, but that's what farmgirls are best at...right?

I have to tell you though, when I saw the title Cheese Diet, I thought you were writing about some new fangled diet where all you eat is cheese. And I thought "Seriously, that would be SOOOO expensive!" :)

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com

www.thehmmmschoolingmom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2011 :  07:09:58 AM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
I have started using my homemade Queso Blanco sliced on sandwiches because of the price of cheese! It just kills me to pay that much for a 1-pound block of cheddar or Swiss slices for sandwiches!

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977
http://lazyjbarcfarm.blogspot.com/
www.calicocandy.etsy.com
http://stores.countrycents.com/StoreFront.bok?affiliate_no=6
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2011 :  09:39:02 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I agree! It is very shocking how high prices are getting! I have to buy milk at Costco because I can’t afford it anywhere else. Sometimes our health food store in town has the organic milk on sale but I don’t get to that side of town very often. It’s not worth the gas burn to drive over there specially to check for discount milk. I put in a larger than normal garden this year and I look at it and think “this isn’t enough”. It’s almost enough to get you panicking. We are using less and less milk each paycheck and using other foods to fill the calcium gap. I am so glad I know how to garden. I can’t imagine not having any food from the garden!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2011 :  10:55:01 AM  Show Profile
I make sure that when block cheese goes on sale I get a few extra and put it in the freezer. I am shocked at the price of butter. I have started to get the blocks of butter and use a dish instead of my usual butter dish. Kris tina ai am shocked that milk is 4.00 a gal...we still have it for 2.99....which I think is a rip-off...I have told my DH that we need to get a cow...we dont have the fencing for a goat, or I would get a few goats....Our food prices are out of control and I think it will get worse before it gets better
Deborah

we have moved to our farm...and love it
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic cheese diet Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page