Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2011 :  10:43:56 PM  Show Profile
I flip flopped over weather this is a animals question, or a kitchen question, but since I'm more interested in the end result of the latter I popped for cooking :)

I'm browsing the hatchery pages (and dreaming) and I found myself wondering if peafowl was tasty and good to eat? Or are they raised just as guardian animals and for plumage? I'm sort of eyeing up some of the straight run bargain mixes and wondering if I can put my extras in the freezer like any other bird?
If you've eaten one, what was it like?

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi
http://silvermoonfarm.blogspot.com/
"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2011 :  11:27:20 PM  Show Profile
I personally wouldn't be able to do it-would be like eating my dog or my cat, they're kind of our pets/family. But, I am interested in knowing.

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2011 :  07:04:38 AM  Show Profile
They are a type of pheasant so I imagine it'd be like cooking, storing and eating pheasant. I've not eaten one but wouldn't mind giving it a try sometime.

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

Do not ask the Lord to guide your footsteps, if you are not willing to move your feet--Dr. Kioni

http://madame1313.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2011 :  07:22:43 AM  Show Profile
I have to admit that I had to chuckle over this. I'm having a hard time picturing eating a peacock. But I looked it up online and found this recipe from the 50's http://www.gourmet.com/recipes/1950s/1951/12/peacock

Evidently, eating Peafowl (somebody online snobbishly insisted that you HAVE to call them Peafowl) was something only the aristrocrats in England did. They were the only ones who could afford to raise them and therefor eat them. But the birds are a member of the pheasant family and were served with the pretty feathers arranged around the platter, although they were said to have a gamey taste. The males are called Peacocks, the females are called Peahens and I'll bet you a peafowl dinner that the babies are called Peachicks!! And when they get mad, they are probably Pea-O'd. :-) So from everything I have seen online, I'd say sharpen the axe and oil the pot! As for me and my house, I find the thought a bit Pea-culiar.

Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com
www.Oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog
The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19
Go to Top of Page

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2011 :  07:50:12 AM  Show Profile
ROFLMAO, that's too funny! My DH is one of those people who insist on calling them "peafowl because they are not all male", lol. Yeah I give him a hard time about that!

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

Do not ask the Lord to guide your footsteps, if you are not willing to move your feet--Dr. Kioni

http://madame1313.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2011 :  11:10:43 AM  Show Profile
But you'd be culling the males if you were raising them, and you'd STILL be cooking "pea-cock!"

I don't think it'd be a problem once it was de-feathered.... I find I don't attribute personality of a living bird to a headless carcass. Blame my upbringing on supermarket birds. Once they're going in the pot, they're all the same to me. One could probably make a tidy sum selling them dressed out around christmas though, customers would buy it just to say they had eaten one once!

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi
http://silvermoonfarm.blogspot.com/
"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2011 :  12:06:48 PM  Show Profile
Well, since I eat baking hens and frying hens, I think I'd want Pea-ing hens too. :-) I'd say that you could sell a bunch! "What are we having for Christmas dinner?" "Peacock!" "You're kidding, right?"

Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com
www.Oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog
The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2011 :  12:43:55 PM  Show Profile
actualy Peacocks are of the peafowl family, like Guiena hens,I would not raise them for meat, too expensive to buy and take to long to mature, and in the market here, I don't think they would sell for meat, they must be penned in huge pens with tops, and they can be quite flighty, loud and big eaters...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2011 :  12:48:55 PM  Show Profile
never thought of this before..... intersting conversation! But why not?

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Ever cooked a peacock? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page