caitlinsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

86 Posts

Kim
St.A Idaho
USA
86 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2011 :  7:58:14 PM  Show Profile
In the last 24 hours I have managed to put up 54 pints of strawberry jam. The kitchen was a mess, my toes are sticky, and I the smell of strawberries has embedded itself in my nose.....it was such a good day. :)

Anyone else canning jam?

www.naturallysimple.blogspot.com
"Live slowly and simply, so that you have the time and space to love deeply and well. Hold your children close, as often as possible. Look deeply into their eyes, speak words of life, love and acceptance into and over them."

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2011 :  8:40:27 PM  Show Profile
That's so awesome, Kim! You GO girl!!! I bet your home smells divine!

At last count I did over 40 pint jars of strawberry, raspberry, blackberry, blueberry, and mixed berry jams - yuummm!!! I've already given away too many, and we've already eaten too much... I'm thinking I'm going to have to make more!!! Right now, I'm just waiting for the local cherries and peaches to come out at my girlfriend's farm and then I'll be adding those to my cupboard, too! I can't WAIT! :)

Have fun "jammin'"!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

www.papercraftingwithnini.myctmh.com

Go to Top of Page

caitlinsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

86 Posts

Kim
St.A Idaho
USA
86 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2011 :  8:55:51 PM  Show Profile
I can't wait for peaches either! The smell of peaches is one I look forward to all year long. :) We can't grow them here so I have to travel about 3 hours away to get some but it is worth the drive!

And you jam sounds incredible! I love berry jams. :D

www.naturallysimple.blogspot.com
"Live slowly and simply, so that you have the time and space to love deeply and well. Hold your children close, as often as possible. Look deeply into their eyes, speak words of life, love and acceptance into and over them."
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3317 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3317 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2011 :  12:21:19 AM  Show Profile
I had to freeze a lot of fruit because it was just too hot to can!

I am in the process of looking for jam making recipes without so much sugar... Sheesh-

Please share your recipes!

Melody
Farmgirl #525

Edited by - melody on Jul 27 2011 12:23:41 AM
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2011 :  06:37:05 AM  Show Profile
I did 31 jars on Sunday. I am sure glad that I had a stash of lids - they are really expensive this year. Strawberry season is finally over, I took off the bird netting and let them have at it. I picked well over 100 lbs. this year.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

caitlinsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

86 Posts

Kim
St.A Idaho
USA
86 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2011 :  06:52:42 AM  Show Profile
Melody- Have you ever heard of Pamonas Pectin? I used it last year and it was great. You can use honey, sugar, agave, or nothing as your sweetner. Obviously you don't get as high yields but it was fantastic. I didn't plan enough in advance to order it so I just used MCP this year. Pamonas is worth the time of online ordering! When I figured it out last year it came out quiet a bit cheaper in the end.

Sheri- If you have a family dollar near you, you can pick up lids for $1.50 a box! Much cheaper than anywhere else I've found. I used them yesterday and they seem to do just fine sealing. They seemed to be the same quality as the ball lids. Just a head up. :)

www.imnaturallysimple.com
Go to Top of Page

AmericanHwyFlower
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

A.R.
Yorba Linda CA
USA
57 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2011 :  7:05:18 PM  Show Profile
well here in suburbia... we have managed to make about 35 pint jars of peach jam... two weeks ago and we LOVE it!

Cherish Each Day
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Strawberry jam Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page