Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 I'm already looking forward to Fall :0)!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic I'm already looking forward to Fall :0)! Next Topic
Page: of 2

n/a
deleted

136 Posts

donna
honesdale pa
136 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2011 :  08:53:42 AM  Show Profile
It may seem strange since summer is only half gone...but I am really looking forward to fall! This summer has been one HUGE run around for me---having 4 kids and 3 of them working mean a LOT of driving around for me...I don;t mind really since they are either too young to drive or the weather has not been good to walk plus they are GREAT about saving money and throwing in a few bucks here a week for gas!
My daughter (age 19) did get her first vehicle about 3 weeks ago( JEEP!!) and so that has helped some. But I feel so unsettled---like I am always needing to BE somewhere so it inhibits me from starting projects--mostly crafts and things for my own pleasure but still---i feel very UNproductive!
I am also looking forward to earning some badges this year! FUN!

Fall brings routine and gorgemous weather---baking and making soups instead of sandwiches!! Walks in the morning, sitting on the porch in the coolness of the evening...LOVE IT!

Anyone else like fall???

Just a Brooklyn, NY gal trying to figure out this country thing after 12+ years in the woods of NE PA! Wife of my HS sweetie going on 23 years and mom to the amazing four ages 19(g), 17(s), 14(s), 13(s)!
Donna
Sister # 3062
http://restingunderthepinetree.blogspot.com/

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4740 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4740 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2011 :  08:59:36 AM  Show Profile
I hear you Donna. I love autumn and this summer has been an real stinker here in the Chicago area. I'm looking forward to jeans and sweaters too!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2011 :  10:38:03 AM  Show Profile
I thnk Fall is my favorite season. I could do with some cool weather!

~ Elaine
Farmgirl sister #2822

"Find yourself a cup of tea; the teapot is behind you. Now tell me about hundreds of things." ~Saki

http://embchicken.blogspot.com

http://gusandtrudy.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

knitnpickinatune
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Sherrie
Gardena California
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2011 :  3:23:45 PM  Show Profile
I'm always ready for Fall-my fave season!

http://www.mandolinbabe.net

http://www.fiddlebelle.com
http://www.gigulele-bag.net (Zibbet Store)

@MandolinChick on Twitter
mando pickin,uke strummin,dulcimer playin & fiddle sawin' Farmgirl #702
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2011 :  3:57:22 PM  Show Profile
Me too!! It's my favorite.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2899 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2899 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2011 :  4:16:41 PM  Show Profile
ALWAYS READY!!
Dreaming of fallen leaves, pumpkins,that first pot of chili, adding that extra blanket at night, apples, fall festivals, barn jackets, bonfires, our county fair, crisp nights, and a million other things that make me feel ALIVE!!
Summer is not my friend...
Fall, however, is my lover!!
Go to Top of Page

Tea Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

645 Posts

Lorraine
Morris IL
USA
645 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2011 :  4:21:59 PM  Show Profile
I'm ready too - fall is my favorite season. Sleeping with the windows open, an extra blanket, collecting bittersweet for the fireplace mantle... The list goes on and on. Bring it on.. Can't wait.

Lorraine
(aka Tea Lady)
Farmgirl #1819
www.birdsandteas.com
Go to Top of Page

nabrown42
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Nancy
Caneyville KY
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2011 :  4:59:01 PM  Show Profile
Add me to that list...Fall is my favorite time of the year. I love hot cider, the smell of burning leaves, a pot of homemade soup and pumpkin pie in the oven.

Honesdale gets such high humidity, at lease that's what I remember. My father's family is from the Wilkes-Barre area and Mom from Springville...friends from Carbondale and Thompson. Lovely area! Stay cool and thing Fall.

Nancy

"I've wept in the night for the shortness of sight that to someone's needs I've been blind; but I've yet to feel a twinge of regret for being a little too kind."
Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2011 :  5:01:11 PM  Show Profile
oh yes!!!!!!!!!! fall is my favorite season....the whole package!!!!!!!!!!!!

Farmgirl # 2139
~*~ counting my pennies and biding my time; my dreams are adding up!~*~
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2011 :  5:11:18 PM  Show Profile
I love NO deer & horse flies, no mosquitoes buzzing in my ears and the color. I do not like going back to work but the good Lord willing that will be only another or 2 max

Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2011 :  6:00:05 PM  Show Profile
Fall is my favorite time of year as well. Just the past few days I've been thinking more and more about fall, and not just because of the heat around here (and everywhere else)! Looking forward to the changes in the leaves, changes in what we make for supper, and having more time indoors as the weather cools down for sewing and other things. I LOVE AUTUMN!!

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2011 :  6:22:44 PM  Show Profile
I love fall, and after these high temps I'm ready, but we had a late spring this year, aready, but sheesh, I haven't even harvested a cucumber yet!

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

knittingmom
True Blue Farmgirl

665 Posts

AnneMarie
Edmonton Alberta
Canada
665 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2011 :  6:44:45 PM  Show Profile
Fall is my favourite time of year, sweater weather, crunching leaves, all those colours, the spicy smells.

"There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world"

"The things that matter most are not really things after all"
Go to Top of Page

Hope Floats
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

Texas
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2011 :  7:37:58 PM  Show Profile
Hobby Lobby already has their fall decorations out and I get warm fuzzies just going down the aisle. I love fall and can't wait for cooler temps!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

136 Posts

donna
honesdale pa
136 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2011 :  7:57:22 PM  Show Profile
OH! I am so glad to see other "fall lovers" here :0)!!! Just reading your posts brought a big smile to my face!
HEY! Maybe we can post our fall decorations---I wouldn't say I go crazy, but I have many little things I put around to get in the mood...but none go up before September 21st---that's my only rule! I decorate for just about every season except for summer--poor unappreciated summer! Of course, summer does contribute greatly to all the veggies and fruits we adore around her...and there's swimming for the kid...that's all I got for summertime though!

Just a Brooklyn, NY gal trying to figure out this country thing after 12+ years in the woods of NE PA! Wife of my HS sweetie going on 23 years and mom to the amazing four ages 19(g), 17(s), 14(s), 13(s)!
Donna
Sister # 3062
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2011 :  03:23:48 AM  Show Profile
Like Brenda though we do need a longer summer, nothing out of my garden and I won't unless summer last a bit longer. June was wet and cold here!!!

Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6622 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6622 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2011 :  04:42:06 AM  Show Profile
Fellow FarmGirls who love Fall--Count me in 100%!!!!!!!!!! I am down here in Florida where summer lasts until early December most years. Growing up in Virginia at the foot of the Blue Ridge Mts., fall is in my blood and it is without a doubt my favorits time of year. So, how does a transplant manage in Florida??? Well, I`have a 3 prong strategy: internal decorating scheme that begins in AUGUST, 1-2 trips to the mts each fall, and crafting fall projects and sending my family fun boxes of goodies in early Ocotber. SO, beginning August 1, we have apple season(decorating because early varieties of apples are ripe and available in north Ga., scarecrows come out, my apple pottery comes out for use and from there we move in September where my fall stuff gets put up whenever I want it out to enjoy!! You have to have a no rules approach down here because we get some fall color when everyone else it getting their Christmas trees decorated!!! Believe me, with heat, humidity, and hurricane season dominating SEpt-Nov., you just have to imagine fall and go by the calendar and not the weather. I have also collected some cute fall shirts from Cracker Barrel that can be worn in this climate to enjoy. So, now as you can imagine, I have already been crafting away with signing up for 2 fall MJF swaps and items for my scheduled trip to North Ga. mts with my best friend Sept 23-25 for apple pickin! Can't wait and already have my fall gift ideas to take up there in process. Ahhhh, for a cool breeze and open windows... maybe by November with any luck?????

Wishing I lived in the mountains, and maybe one day when I retire, I will be writing you with a new perspective! Pumpkin Bread anyone??

Winnie #3109

Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

tinaberry
True Blue Farmgirl

107 Posts

tina
satsuma al
USA
107 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2011 :  10:50:45 AM  Show Profile
I hear you Winnie. I love fall!! I live in south Alabama, I think most years we just skip over Fall and go straight to winter, what little we have anyway, (winter that is). We are like you Sept - Nov we are watching for Hurricanes, and then it's winter. When we lived in Savannah and the kids were still at home we would go pick apples and we enjoyed it so much. Then we could make the trip in about 4 hours spend the night and come home the next day, now it's not as easy.

We take our annual trip to the N. Ga mountains in Oct, love it there, each time we go we look for land. Maybe one day we will find it. Maybe I can talk mama into a trip in Sept. for apple picking, that sounds like fun, I haven't thought about that in years, and then Hubby and I can go in Oct. (our reservations are already made).

Tina
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6622 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6622 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2011 :  04:44:07 AM  Show Profile
Tina- Glad to hear from another FarmGirl who loves fall and knows the "ache" to get to the mountains and be a part of the beautiful season!! My friend and I like to go to Blue Ridge Georgia for apple season. Mercier Orchards is close by and has a HUGE Apple barn where you can purchase apples from their orchards and all sorts of apple products. It is wonderful! Blue Ridge also has these train rides that go for a half day trip across the border to Tennessee and you can see the leaves and farms as you wind along. Very Fun! Plus there are all sorts of shops and cute places in the downtown to check out. If I still had a Mom, I would definitely take her on a girls trip for apple pickin'. By the way, there is also a great Bed and Breakfast in Blue Ridge that has reasonable rates and great hospitality. Are you convinced yet?

Other Farm Girls out there who live in the deep south, do you make treks to the mountains for fall and apple pickin'? Tina and I make 2. How many others are there??
We can start a conversation here about how to get to the fall and escape the heat and humidity!! Those of you who live where the fall exists and are close to the deep south, tell us about your special places for enjoying the season so others might be able to plan a trip there to enjoy a weekend in the mountatins.

OK, I am ready to start packing my bag after I dig in the closet for my fall shirts and see if they need a touch up with the iron first!!!LOL

Winnie #3109

Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

tammyknit
True Blue Farmgirl

135 Posts

Tammy
Reedsburg WI
USA
135 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2011 :  2:34:48 PM  Show Profile
I am always looking forward to fall...we got married in September just so I could use fall decorations for the reception! I love going for apples, decorating for halloween, the smell of fire, and I absolutely love camping in fall:)

Tammy
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

136 Posts

donna
honesdale pa
136 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2011 :  5:08:59 PM  Show Profile
What is your most favorite "thing" about fall? For me it would be twofold---color and smell!

I just love the smell of fireplaces going, coolness in the air, baked oatmeal for breakfast! And here in the Pocono and Endless mountains OH!!!!!!!!!!!!! the colors are spectacular!

I LOVE going to the fall fairs and harvest festivals...the local museum has free admission (Honesdale is the "birthplace of the American railroad" and the song "Winter Wonderland" was inspired by our own central park!)and people are just happy :0).

Share more of your FAV things!!!

Donna
Sister # 3062
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2011 :  8:22:41 PM  Show Profile
I absolutely adore autumn! The crisp evenings and mild days, the smells of ripe apples and leaves becoming natures version of stained glass! Wood smoke and the honks of geese! Where do I stop LOL! I love autumn picnics better than summer of spring ones! AND I get to start with the serious business of exploring new recipes in my wonderful oven because the temps have cooled down =D A BIG cheery smile for my fellow Fall sisters!!!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2011 :  10:11:32 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I am ready for fall too- garden slow down- food in the cupboard from my canning, cooler temperatures. Yup! I am ready! I wish fall could last longer!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6622 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6622 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2011 :  04:40:28 AM  Show Profile
I love being in the presence of so many Farm Grils who love fall the way that I do and it is most interesting to hear from you in states so far from Florida! One other aspect of fall seems to be the renewal of energy everyone feels. The entire calendar includes back to school, football season(big in the south!!)which all together lifts one up from those dog days of summer where you just are spent from dealing with the heat! I think the beauty of the season fills all of the senses and in return we get a big energy boost once again. Two of my favorits fall items.....Scarecrows and pumpkins! And all the yummy recipes one can make from pumpkin meat-delicious!

FarmGirls, what are some of your favorite recipes for fall? We have had chili listed above, all things apples, baked oatmeal(Donna can you share that recipe as that is new to me and I love oatmeal!) What are some others?

Goin apple pickin in 59 days in the north Ga. mts!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2011 :  07:26:13 AM  Show Profile
Fall is definitely my favorite time of year, and with our mild winters, fall lasts a long time here. Can't wait! I see the shops already have fall dec out. yippee! Now for cool weather, a long way off for us.

My favorite part of fall......nights when I can sit out on the porch without breaking a sweat! Love the cool nights with no humidity.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13

Edited by - jpbluesky on Jul 27 2011 07:37:20 AM
Go to Top of Page

Dorinda
True Blue Farmgirl

1023 Posts

Dorinda
St. Cloud Florida
USA
1023 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2011 :  07:40:37 AM  Show Profile
Love the fall what little bit we get here in Florida. We don't get any real fall weather until about the middle of November. Every once in a while we will start out around Halloween. The last couple of years have been nice. Alot colder in the winter time. So hot and humid here right now.

Seize The Day!
Dorinda
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic I'm already looking forward to Fall :0)! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page