Cindy Lou
True Blue Farmgirl

2325 Posts

Susan
Lonsdale MN
USA
2325 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2011 :  09:31:12 AM  Show Profile
It's county fair time here, starting in the middle of a terrific wave of heat and humidity. Its fun for me to find that we are involved enough now to find it is once again just about the busiest week of the year. Through our kids' growing-up years, they, and we were so busy with 4-H. I remember that I loved it more than I did as a kid myself. Now I help with Open Class exhibits, one day of taking in entries, one of assisting the judge in our area and displaying, a shift or two overseeing the building and then returning the entries at the end of the week. I work mostly in the needlework department.
I LOVE meeting the people who bring their exhibits, the creativity and skill they share is delightful. I love seeing people who are rightfully proud of their accomplishments and those of family and friends.
When I was supervising the building, a guy asked for help finding his friend's entry, a bird picture. When he mentioned they were both clients at a group home, it helped us find it in the section for those with disabilities, actually the Reserve champion of the section! She had also brought a painted rock and a lady who overheard, called us to the crafts section to find that one. He was so excited, almost in tears and in a hurry to let her know how well she had done. He thanked me, but the joy he felt made that totally unnecessary.
I got to visit with the baking winner from the elementary class, a little guy who is probably about 8 years old, a guy who had gotten 4 blue ribbons on 5 exhibits in the wine section, a lady who entered in the foods category to encourage her neice and they both got blues and a young woman who brings award winning jewelry and has now started sewing, it was fun to see her scouting out the competition in that area.
I didn't show anything myself this year but saw so many wonderful ideas to try.
Susan

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"
Mary Oliver

Edited by - Cindy Lou on Jul 22 2011 09:32:31 AM

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2011 :  1:28:04 PM  Show Profile
I adore our county fair...the fair grounds are walking distance from out place...nice! My youngest daughter is real involved in 4H still (in YLT and in rabbits and cooking now) and the other kids still stay signed up just for entering in the fair..haha. They all enter chickens and produce each year and I just love seeing all the exibits. Adults are only allowed to enter 3 items at our fair for some reason. I always enter something homecanned, something embroidered or knit and something home grown from the garden. I love it. OUr fair isn't until the last week of August. Always the same week the kids go back to school.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2011 :  7:17:13 PM  Show Profile
I love the Wisconsin State Fair here! We don't have a county fair here, as Milwaukee has enough other church/ethnic festivals/fairs to not need a county fair along with being home to Wisconsin State Fair. I love our fair, and I even though I've never entered anything, I love looking at all the things that people worked so hard to make. The food's an added plus too:)
Susan, sounds like a good fair!
God's and Farmgirl's Blessings,
Megan

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.

The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work.
Go to Top of Page

smiley
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

lea
pea ridge arkansas
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2011 :  04:54:18 AM  Show Profile
Our fair is the 3rd week in August. We are in 4-H big time. Daughter is in 3 clubs president of one and son in 2. Hubby and I are leaders. Dining room table Sun was full of supplies while they worked on exhibits and today we are having a craft making club party at the park. All crafts made will be displayed on our clubs shelves at the fair. Each club in the county has one section. It is a matter of pride for the kids to have a full section. Friday night is our turn to work the popcorn booth fundraiser for 4-h. See what the health dept says this year. Its been there forever and last year they decided maybe we needed running water to it for washing hands. We have a huge hand sanitizer there but no way to get running water to it. HOpefully they dont bring it up again.
Go to Top of Page

tammyknit
True Blue Farmgirl

135 Posts

Tammy
Reedsburg WI
USA
135 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2011 :  2:26:14 PM  Show Profile
We had our fair a couple of weeks ago, right before the big heat wave....got really lucky. My DD does rabbits and shows her dog at the fair and loves hanging out at the rabbit barn or with her friends in the cow barn so she and my husband go every day...I am really trying to get her to do some type of craft project, maybe i will enter some knitting or quilting, as well.

Tammy
Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2011 :  3:15:02 PM  Show Profile
I'm brand new to the Farmgirl Connection --- and am really looking forward to making new friends. I just discovered Mary Janes Farm when I found the latest issue in a small quilt shop in Carmel. I have read it cover to cover and ordered back issues.

Last year my husband and I went to the Mariposa (CA) County Fair with friends. It was just wonderful. Small townish and very friendly and fun. We have a second home near Mariposa (in Oakhurst, CA) and will be retiring there next year. Our Oakhurst home is less than 20 miles from the south gate to Yosemite Nat'l Park.

This weekend will find us at the Amador County Fair (near Jackson, CA) as our grandson-in-law works maintaining the fairgrounds year-round. We will meet him for lunch on Saturday with our granddaughter and the baby - the cutest, most adorable, sweetest 15 month old great-granddaughter in the world! (As you've probably gathered I'm chronologically-gifted (68).

I've never entered anything in a fair - but may next year. I'm a quilter and would love to hear from others. Right now we are mostly living in our townhouse in Cupertino, CA so not much space for gardening or spreading out. Oakhurst home is much bigger and on 2-1/2 acres but we need to be there full time before we can really do any gardening, etc. Although it is nice in the Bay Area and I'm sure there will things I'll miss - I am so looking forward to the big move.

Blessings to all from a rookie farmgirl, Darlys

That is the best ... to laugh with someone because you both think the same things are funny.
Go to Top of Page

woolgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

901 Posts

Elizabeth
Great Lakes IL
USA
901 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2011 :  09:49:29 AM  Show Profile
It's the county fair here this week, and I am so excited to see what this area's is like. Moving so much you get to see lots of different county fairs!

Liz
Farmgirl #1947
www.militaryfarmgirl.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lou
True Blue Farmgirl

2325 Posts

Susan
Lonsdale MN
USA
2325 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2011 :  12:22:07 PM  Show Profile
I envy those of you involved with your kids in 4-H. My kids were in so many areas; showing rabbits,rabbit judging team, poultry, arts, crafts, cooking, gardening, photography, vet science, and others. We home schooled and it was a way to help them focus in different areas. I was the adult leader for our club a few years. There were 11 clubs in our county at that time(10-15) years ago, with healthy cooperation and competition. Its sad to see that down to 5 clubs now. There is so much less being shown at the fair but the quality is still up there, showing the skills and creativity are still a big part of the experience. There was no limit in how much the kids could show and my daughters would take on 20-30 porjects some years. As before there are some kids who only do one area but others who do a lot of things.
Our fair was a medium sized one, some others I have seen are pretty pitiful but the neighboring county has the largest county fair in MN and we never miss that one.
Susan

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"
Mary Oliver
Go to Top of Page

woolgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

901 Posts

Elizabeth
Great Lakes IL
USA
901 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2011 :  1:51:49 PM  Show Profile
I hope to get Rosemary invloved in 4-H. I think it is such a great club!

Liz
Farmgirl #1947
www.militaryfarmgirl.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic County Fair time Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page