kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2011 :  7:11:11 PM  Show Profile
I was watching Animal Cops yesterday while Mrs. T. was at the beauty shop. They got this puppy in that was full of fleas and this is what they wash them with. She said you'd be surprised but it really kills the fleas. So I got hubby to get a bottle while he was out today. I gave all 3 dogs a Dawn bath this evening. Then dipped them all in an organic flea dip. Then every single one of them went right out to the driveway and rolled in the dirt. Now they are all filthy dirty. But I guess they feel better. And they smell like a dirty orange. I have had the worst time with fleas this year. I can't afford to get 3 dogs and 6 cats that flea oil and it really doesn't work all that good anyway for how expensive it is.

Has anyone else tried this? I will let y'all know how it works. I plan to bathe them once a week now.

(I sure wish I had spell check!)

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Edited by - kristin sherrill on Jul 23 2011 7:13:01 PM

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2011 :  7:48:27 PM  Show Profile
I've never used Dawn specifically for fleas, but have used it ALOT for different skin issues with all of our critters (mammals, feathered, reptile, etc) with good results.

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

Do not ask the Lord to guide your footsteps, if you are not willing to move your feet--Dr. Kioni

http://madame1313.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2011 :  9:20:57 PM  Show Profile
oh goodness kris, i am smiling from ear to ear. i can see bubba all soaped up. bubbles blowing. i bet that was a job just doing him. i have heard good things too. we use de on the dogs when we lived in flea country. none here in central oregon desert. so happy dog days to you sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2011 :  11:11:52 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
I've never heard of that before. Thank you for sharing Kris! I use to wash my goats udders with it before I milked until I swiched to a more natural soap but it worked well.
Hugs,
Hannah

Farmgirl sister #1219!

"Lifes not about the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away."

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2011 :  08:17:59 AM  Show Profile
Well, I saw some fleas this morning on Bubba's rear. But they did have alot on them. They are so bad this year with the heat. It might take awhile to really see a difference.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2011 :  09:19:59 AM  Show Profile
dawn dish soap is a GREAT flea killer, I've beeen useing it for 30 plus years, what the key is:put a couple of drops of mineral oil in their eyes, damp cotten balls in their ears, then slick the dawn all over their bodies, and I mean everywhere, let it sit for a few minuets, and you have suffocated all the fleas and their eggs, then wash it all off, then shampoo. In order to keep them flea free , you will have to rid your yard and home of all the parasites also, and remember if you have a flea problem, your animals will also have a tape worm problem...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2011 :  6:50:22 PM  Show Profile
We always used Lemon Joy for the fleas...its the lemon juice thats in it that kills the fleas....Up here I have a hard time finding it anymore so am using herbal flea stuff mixed with baby kitten shampoo for the new born kittens who are infested...vet says do it every couple of days so they don't get poisoned from the cedar oil in the herbal flea stuff....:( poor babies but they are getting less freaked out when I put them in the bathroom sink now...may end up with swimming cats before this is over...lol....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2011 :  7:09:38 PM  Show Profile
Yeah, I think next time I will leave it on a little longer. I was kind of doing it in a hurry.

Michele, my hubby always wants Lemon Joy for washing his motorcycle. Says it just makes it shinier. It's so horrible when little kittens and puppies are full of fleas. I hope you can get it under control. Poor little guys.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2011 :  7:40:48 PM  Show Profile
I had never heard about this before! Who knew?! Thanks for posting this tip, Kris. :) I'm sure it was lovely that they all went and rolled around in the dirt afterwards...

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

doglady
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Tina
Howard Ohio
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2011 :  7:56:27 PM  Show Profile
Yes, this does work on fleas. I have used it on my own dogs as a dog groomer for 35 years. You do need to use the "original Dawn" and not the concentrated one. I suds my dog up and allow it to stay on my dog for 5 min. then rinse.

Dogs never judge people, they only forgive!
www.kennelcreations.com
Go to Top of Page

britchickny
True Blue Farmgirl

1048 Posts

Angie
Port Orange Florida
1048 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2011 :  02:52:09 AM  Show Profile
And I just learned that you can use Dawn/water in a squirt bottle to kill bees/wasps. Apparently it kills 'em dead.

ANGIE
"Mercy, peace and love be yours in abundance" JUDE 1:2

http://www.pinkroomponderings.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2011 :  05:41:08 AM  Show Profile
And a bowl of water with a little Dawn in it will kill flies too! And plain ole water. I had a little water in a small bucket in the milk room and overnight there were probably 100 dead flies in it! So I put a bowl by the kitchen door. I am always having to sweep flies out of the way to get inside. So apparently Dawn is good for alot of things. I know it's also used to get oil off poor sea birds in oil spills. So it has to be powerfull stuff.

Tina, thatnks for that info about the original. I just looked and mine is.

Angie, I will try that for the wasps for sure. Thanks.

Hey Amy. I have missed you around here. I know you are a busy farm girl lately. How's the house coming along?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Caron
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

Caron
Orange Texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2011 :  06:12:01 AM  Show Profile
We had some young kittens, too young to put any flea treatments on, and our vet told us to wash them in Dawn detergent.He said just a few drops to a small pan of water since they were so little. It didn't kill all of the fleas, but sure helped to get rid of a lot of them.

Caron

Happy Farmgirl Sister #254

"An Apron:Its strings gently tug at us, tenderly, softly calling us to turn back to the old ways".-Above Rubies Magazine
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2011 :  06:07:38 AM  Show Profile
Does it help with ticks? Thanks for sharing this. Nice tip. I had a dog once who was deathly allergic to flea collars.

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2011 :  2:14:42 PM  Show Profile
I hope someone knows this question for you, Nicole. I have not seen any more ticks on my dogs since I bathed them Sat.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2011 :  05:22:07 AM  Show Profile
A good all natural way to help control bugs /pests in the yard is guena hens.

Chickens will do a fine job, but the guneas do it better....if you can stand the noise

We were working a side job in a horse pasture that required us to work in a field all day and partly into the night. I think I swatted one mosquito that night and wasn't bothered at all by much of anything during the day. So the guinea hens on this farm were certainly doing their share!
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2011 :  07:09:17 AM  Show Profile
I have had those before. I like them but they were getting so mean to my chickens I had to give them away. I have been thinking about getting a few more. Maybe about 6. I kinf of miss them. And we didn't have as many pest when they were here either.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

henlady35904
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Kim
Gadsden Alabama
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2011 :  8:24:53 PM  Show Profile
Chris, I also mix two tsp of lavender eo in rinse water, it helps keep the fleas off. I don't use around eyes .

Farmgirl Sister #2667
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2011 :  6:04:30 PM  Show Profile
Kim, that's a good idea. And they would smell nice then too. I will try that next time I bathe them. They do need it again. Thanks.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

luckilady
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Jennifer
Loxahatchee Fl
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2011 :  6:29:30 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the info, our shepherd has been miserable this summer. I am going to give him a bath with it tomorrow :)

~Jennifer

Life is 10% of what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it. ~ John Maxwell

Farmgirl Sister #3375
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2011 :  12:08:59 PM  Show Profile
another dish washing soap that works well is "Joy"...the original lemon smelling one...we used that before Dawn came around...beware though that you must rinse it off well as the amount of lemon they put in it will burn the skin if not rinsed well....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2011 :  7:34:04 PM  Show Profile
I havent heard of that before but I have been spraying Skin so Soft on the dogs twice a week and rubbing it in real good...They havent had any fleas since I have been doing this...I think I will be using this for awhile until that doesnt work anymore...And it makes them smell good too....
Deborah

we have moved to our farm...and love it
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2011 :  08:28:20 AM  Show Profile
I just washed Bubba and Stella and put the lavender eo in the rinse. They both smell so good. But they both still had lots of fleas. Not as many each time but still have them. Maybe the eo will help. I might have to try the SSS next. I love that stuff. I have a friend who sells Avon.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2011 :  8:38:20 PM  Show Profile
Dawn is a powerful grease cutter. One tiny drop in a cup of water, plus a drop or two of ammonia, is what we fountain pen collectors use to properly flush out and clean old gunked-up pens. Because it's so strong, I wonder about the wisdom of using it on little animals. Seems it would be awfully rough on their skin. Thoughts?
Go to Top of Page

rubyleesmom
Zapped Profile

190 Posts

190 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2011 :  08:44:59 AM  Show Profile
We have used Dawn on our 2 dogs for years now and we rarely ever have any issues with fleas. The one thing I have learned though is that it is only the original blue one that works. Any of the other scented variations etc. dont seem to do the trick. Another cool thing we learned is that April Fresh Downy works great to keep the fleas out of the carpet. Just mix it up in a spray bottle with some warm water (1:1) and spray it on the carpet. Once it dries, vacuum. Not to mention, it helps make the house smell really great! Hope you all have a great day!
Go to Top of Page

homsteddinmom
True Blue Farmgirl

441 Posts

Brandee
bullard tx
USA
441 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2011 :  09:43:55 AM  Show Profile  Send homsteddinmom a Yahoo! Message
we also use dawn as our small dogs cant handle the chemicals in the down the back drops.

Homesteading Mom in East Texas. Raising chickens, Rabbits and goats here on my farm!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Dawn Dish Detergent Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page