oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2011 :  10:00:11 AM  Show Profile
Mara, dawn is also what the rescuers use doing oil spills to clean the sludge off of wildlife/birds, I too have been useing it for years, including on small dogs and cats, plus pups/kittens, wet cotten balls and wring out, and put in ears, a couple of drops of mineral oil in their eyes, soap them down, let sit for a couple of minutes, then suds up, rinse really well and then use a good dog/cat shampoo...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2011 :  8:35:18 PM  Show Profile
I know about that, Tina. I so admire the people -- professionals and volunteers -- who take on that horrible task. Those poor birds! I realize they have to get the oil off fast, and Dawn seems to do the trick. It just seemed that using it on kittens and pups more than once in a while might be too harsh. Seems like people have been having success with it for quite a while, though. Can't argue with success!
Go to Top of Page

Megan
True Blue Farmgirl

155 Posts

Megan
Hudson South Dakota
USA
155 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2011 :  06:55:38 AM  Show Profile
my grandma uses dawn dish soap in her grooming shop just for that! it works wonders.

www.rockriverexoticsandkennel.net
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2011 :  07:02:21 AM  Show Profile
i wonder what is in dawn. it makes me sick when i use it. i am like the canary in the mine. i urge you to be careful with it. my sensitivity to chemicals tells me its toxic. my thought is that any detergent type soap will do this. dawn was just the co. that started donating to causes. such as oil spills/ its good press for them. maras warning about fragile animals and dawn is a good one. just another opinion. we all have them. glad it works for some of you. they use pesticide chemicals to help soaps work better. so i am wondering what the ing.s are in dawn. sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

ninajb
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

Nina
Muncie Indiana
USA
10 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2011 :  08:36:32 AM  Show Profile
I am so glad I found this post. I will be bathing my dog and cat with Dawn this evening. Thanks for posting this!
Go to Top of Page

Turtlemoon
Farmgirl Legend Schoolmarm

378 Posts

Tanya
Port Orchard Washington
USA
378 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2011 :  12:38:59 PM  Show Profile
this post made me smile and laugh. My mother in law swears by dawn. Hubby and i were gone 3 weeks for his work in hawaii and when we got home i found a small bottle of dawn on the sink counter. (along with a pack of toilet tissue and some new scrubbie sponges) i know my mother in law means well when bringing things (they buy in bulk and just have the two of them) but it also makes me wonder if she is secretly trying to tell me something! Well.... now i have a new use for that bottle of dawn! lol, i already love my mrs meyers!

Raggedy Ann stuck in a Barbie Doll World

FarmGirl#1737

http://www.etsy.com/shop/moonhonu
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2011 :  12:42:08 PM  Show Profile
My MIL always used Dawn for her dishes. I had never seen it before. It's amazing how many uses it has. And my hubby always had to have lemon Joy to wash all the vehicles and motorcycles. Said it's the only thing that makes them all shiny and perty.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2011 :  8:03:15 PM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Dawn is great and won't really hurt your eyes...law enforcement uses Dawn to wash inmates eyes out when they get sprayed with pepper spray(mace) The original that doesn't have anti-bacterial properties is the one that works the best I think...that is the one I use, sometimes it is hard to find with out the anti bacterial in it

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...

Edited by - Acelady02 on Aug 31 2011 8:11:29 PM
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2011 :  9:17:29 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by sherrye

i wonder what is in dawn.

Here you go (forgive any spelling errors and lack of punctuation -- I copied and pasted this from another site and might not have caught all the typos in the original): inactive ingredients water sodium lauryl sulfate, sodium laureth sulfate.c12 14 16 dim ethyl amine oxide SD alcohol undeceth 9 sodium chloride cyclohexanediamine ppg 26 magnesium chloride polyacetate yellow 5 fragrance red 33. Active Triclosan 0.10%. I believe there are other ingredients that Proctor & Gamble keep confidential.

While we're on the subject, which does indeed present valid opinions both pro and con, I thought you might enjoy this: http://www.theredwhiteandgreen.com/2010/05/05/oh-the-irony-dawn-saves-wildlife-with-oil-based-dish-soap/

Edited by - Rosemary on Aug 31 2011 9:26:52 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Dawn Dish Detergent Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page