Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2011 :  05:48:24 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Stormy is doing a lot better. She is 3 months old now and seems to be much more vital than when we adopted her. Her coarse coat has given way to a silky coat and she eats quite a bit of food.

We dewormed her on Sunday and she had a NASTY load of roundworms. I am surprised that they didn't cause a blockage. I admit to stuffing her with lots of treats and high fiber things like mashed potatoes so that she would have extra bulk to push the worms out. ICK ICK ICK. Some were fully mature and close to 7 inches!! EEK!

She has since really picked up on her energy levels and seems to be much happier overall. We will worm her again in another week. It is so tempting to want to do it right now but I don't want to use the wormer ineffectually. I think I will ask the rescue for another two rounds of wormer since she had such a horrible load.

She still is super skinny. But I wonder if her body is just putting everything she is eating in to growing right now. I am pretty sure I can see a noticable change in size since we adopted her and the rescue lady seemed to thing she could see a change in size too.

Overall she has been a good addition to the family. She has learned the command "Sit" and we are working on "Down" and "come". She also heels naturally on walks so I am reinforcing that. I don't want her to ever learn to run out in front and pull.

Nora loves her and helps a lot with her care. I think it has made her more aware of what other's needs are.

Pictures to later!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com

Melina
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Melina

USA
435 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2011 :  06:57:08 AM  Show Profile
Sounds like she's doing great. I'm sure she will fill out a bit now that you aren't feeding the worms! They can sure pull a puppy down.

The morning breeze has secrets to tell you. Do not go back to sleep.
Rumi
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2011 :  06:59:08 AM  Show Profile
so happy to hear she is doing good. i bet nora is a good doggie mom. everyday is a new adventure with a puppy. happy days for you two. sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2011 :  07:03:16 AM  Show Profile
Rescues are the best dogs. I'm glad Stormy found a great home!
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2011 :  10:46:58 AM  Show Profile
I'm so glad little Stormy has such a great new home. I think I might need to worm Stella now after reading about Stormy. Yuck! Can you give dogs goat worming meds? Like Ivermec?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2011 :  4:20:49 PM  Show Profile
Kris

Don't use Ivermec!!! Collie/Shepherd breeds are especially sensitive to it. Basically it attacks them the way it attacks the parasites. You could lose your dog. Instead go get a dewormer that specifies it's for dogs. Just to be safe. :)

Excuse the mess & the noise, my children are making happy memories
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2011 :  6:28:58 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I agree- Dog dewormer is very specific and not too expensive. Don't use Ivermectin!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2011 :  6:41:10 PM  Show Profile
never, ever use any meds made for other animals , quick way to kill them, and you'd never get them to a vet quick enough...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2011 :  7:48:46 PM  Show Profile
Glad to hear she's doing so well! I'm sure Nora is a big help, and Stormy is just as helpful to her. ;) Kudos to you for taking her in!

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com

www.thehmmmschoolingmom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Puppy Update Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: