Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2011 :  11:29:37 AM  Show Profile
don't know where else to ask this tho--so!
need to buy a laptop--have always had Dell products-- tell me what you think of Acer ???? Toshiba???????

looking at 14 -15 inch size--need the DVD/CD capability
big dollar diff for basically the same thing....

talk to me, please!

Farmgirl # 2139
~*~ counting my pennies and biding my time; my dreams are adding up!~*~

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2011 :  11:52:07 AM  Show Profile
Feeling pretty confident on this one! We had a Dell laptop until about two months ago when it was stolen out of our car. I ended up ordering a Toshiba (based on a recommendation of our law clerk) from QVC when they had their 5 payment option sale a few weeks ago. We got it in two days and we LOVE it. Everything I've wanted in a computer and things I didn't know I'd love. My husband is a musician and music collector (ok, hoarder) and his Itunes functions perfectly. He's even loaded up home recording software and records music so he work on with his band. The cd drive is great, the computer is compact and I really like it.

Here is the listing for the one we purchased (see below), but it looks like QVC no longer has it in stock. It will tell you all about the specs, though. There are many similar versions, but this suited our purpose. Since I work on a computer all day at the office, I don't need it for rocket science, but this has a lot of bells and whistles and it's a great price.

http://www.qvc.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10251&catalogId=10151&langId=-1&partNumber=E245484&upsh=1&sc=CSWB

We work on Acers here at the office and well, they're just "ok". I'm not against them, and my IT friend says that his company uses a lot of them, but he also has to tweak a lot of the software to interface with other things, so if you're not an IT guy (and I'm not) I didn't want to fool with that, or have to call him each time the computer acted up. We were up and running in a matter of minutes and this computer has been incredibly user friendly.

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/

Edited by - FebruaryViolet on Jul 22 2011 11:56:34 AM
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2011 :  11:53:08 AM  Show Profile
Check out QVC--you might be surprised, and I love the easy pay option--monthly payments like layaway with the use of a debit or credit card.

Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2011 :  12:52:36 PM  Show Profile
i can't open the QVC site from work (in a bank!) so I'll have to look from home- I will be using my extra financial aid from college so I am limited to how much i can spend including tax-was ticked at myself- a great price on one ( a dell ) at walmart.com but i waited - then they went out of stock and i doubt they'll get them back! thinking it was last year's model... they do have a few nice toshibas- one is a 15.6 satellite but it doesn't have as much space as the one i was wanting--will look tonite from home!

thanx--i DO appreciate the info!

Farmgirl # 2139
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2011 :  12:59:32 PM  Show Profile
Not a problem--I liked to be able to read the user reviews from the QVC website, too. I'm not a Walmart shopper, though I'm sure the pricing is comparable. Are you using this for school? The one comment both our lawclerks made about the size of the actual monitor was that they opted for the 14 inch to take to class because the larger size was just too bulky to carry and then, there were times they couldn't see over the screen while in class! So, I went with the 14.5 and I love it. No complaints on our end. Ours is the satellite version, too. Really great. Good luck!

Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2011 :  2:59:31 PM  Show Profile
Hmm, I'm a Mac. What can I say. I've been converted. I used to not like them, but I have so much issue with them than any IBM I ever had. There are pros and cons about programs you can run, but a lot of the latest MACs have a dual drive and can run IBM programs too.

http://www.inntheorchardbnb.com/
Go to Top of Page

emtfarmer
True Blue Farmgirl

222 Posts

Darlene
North Carolina
USA
222 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2011 :  3:26:11 PM  Show Profile
We have a Toshiba 15.6 (?) inch screen and bought it at Best Buy; they had a really good sale/rebate going on at the time. We've had it about four months and so far, no problems. We pretty much just got the basics; however, I did want and did get one that had a numbers keypad on the right side of the keyboard.

I would like to have a Mac someday because I've heard so many good things about it but financially, this was just not the time.

Darlene

"Support your local fire departments and rescue squads...volunteers making a difference"
Go to Top of Page

IdahoShamrock
True Blue Farmgirl

161 Posts

Kathy
Hayden Idaho
USA
161 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2011 :  09:51:25 AM  Show Profile
I bought a Toshiba Satellite L505 from Best Buy last spring. It has a 15" screen and 3 G of RAM and I got it for $459.00. I have seen the same model on sale for a little less since then but that's technology for you. Technology is not my first language and this is any easy to use laptop.

Farmgirl #2125

www.dustbincards.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Ingrid
True Blue Farmgirl

432 Posts

Ingrid
BC
Canada
432 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2011 :  08:16:26 AM  Show Profile
I have a dell and hubby has an acer with basically the same programs and they are the same as far as we can tell.

Give thanks to yourself everyday for all the wonderful things you do!
Go to Top of Page

nancypo
True Blue Farmgirl

362 Posts

nancy
boise idaho
USA
362 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2011 :  10:14:14 AM  Show Profile
Our school district uses Acer, very reliable...

Be the change...

http://littlehomesteadinboise.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

nancypo
True Blue Farmgirl

362 Posts

nancy
boise idaho
USA
362 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2011 :  10:15:33 AM  Show Profile
Personally, we only buy HP (as do our adult kids), super reliable at home, great customer support...

Be the change...

http://littlehomesteadinboise.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

camiesmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Anne Jeannette
Stagecoach NV
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2011 :  8:04:38 PM  Show Profile  Send camiesmommy a Yahoo! Message
My daughter is pretty into computers. She won't own an Acer because there are no local reps that can work on them. You have to send them back to the company for any repairs.

A.J.

Work is love made visible. ~ Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2011 :  07:56:48 AM  Show Profile
well i still haven't bought one- found a toshiba that's nice but it's the 15.6 and i am thinking that 14 inch size would be nice-so i'm still in limbo---so hard to decide- don't want to go back down to the 11" tho---
anyhow- appreciating all input gals!

Farmgirl # 2139
Go to Top of Page
  Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic OT question Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page