Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Neighbor issues (pretty long); okay, REALLY long
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Neighbor issues (pretty long); okay, REALLY long Next Topic  

traildancer
True Blue Farmgirl

485 Posts

Loyce
Glide OR
USA
485 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2011 :  12:43:27 PM  Show Profile
I was sitting on my deck reading when I heard a strange whinny. Those of you who have horses know that each horse sounds different and you can tell who is whinnying. So I knew it wasn't one of mine. Then I did hear one of mine whinny strangely so I thought I should go check on them. Sure enough, the neighbor's filly was out in our pasture where the grass is so high only her head showed!

So I walk back to the barn to get a halter and lead rope. As I am walking back to the horse, the neighbor pulls up in a car and asks if I am going to catch the horse. I refrained from responding, "Duh!", and continued on. No offer to help. So I manage to get the little horse close to the fence between our properties. The neighbor and her friend are now in their pasture watching. They inform me that the horse is not halter broken. Whaaaat???? Okay, so the little horse jumps over the fence, almost catching her hind legs in the wire. I thought it was going to end badly. Whew, it didn't. So the friend announces that the fence is dangerous and needs to be taken down. I reply that it has kept my horses in for 15 years. She says something else and I repeat that it has kept my horses in for 15 years.

I go back to the barn to get some fencing supplies to mend the fence. I plan to put my horses on that pasture this week. While I am attempting to fix the fence, the man comes over carrying our Jack Russell. Grrrr. Then procedes to tell me that he has a good relationship with my husband but he won't tolerate me being rude to his woman. I tried to apologize. No go. He then says that he has fixed the fence 6 times (absolutely no evidence of that). So I offer to help but my husband is is Alaska for a month. He doesn't want MY help because he has a good relationship with my husband and won't stand for rudeness to his woman. No, I am not repeating myself--he is.

Okay, I can't fix the fence with what I have. So back to the barn. Here's where it gets comical. I put a t-post in the trailer. Now I need the pounder. It is hanging above my head. You know those things weigh 50 pounds, at least. So now what? The old toilet is right underneath the pounder. I climb up on that and can lift the pounder. Whew. I'm not sure if that's redneck or farmgirl. Plus how on earth am I going to get the pounder on the 6 foot post to pound it in? I got the steps for my horse trailer and loaded them up.

Meanwhile I am trying to figure out a way to mend the breach because I don't want neighbors mad at me. Ah-hah. I had made brownies the day before. I would fix the fence and take some over and apologize to Lorraine in person.

Back to the fence. As I am setting up to fix this, here come two guys. Just great. Bruce (the neighbor) apologizes for being a donkey's hind end and informs me that he has respect for me because I came back! ( He repeated this any time there was a lull in the conversation!) He also said some other things that were unbelievable, but I could smell the alcohol so I just smiled and made "appropriate noises".

So I guess we're friendly neighbors again.

Thanks for reading to the end!

The trail is the thing.... Louis L'Amour

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2011 :  1:08:35 PM  Show Profile
You can't make this stuff up!

~ Elaine
Farmgirl sister #2822

"Find yourself a cup of tea; the teapot is behind you. Now tell me about hundreds of things." ~Saki

http://embchicken.blogspot.com

http://gusandtrudy.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MEWolf
True Blue Farmgirl

358 Posts

Margaret
Byers Colorado
USA
358 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2011 :  1:26:52 PM  Show Profile
I know the saying goes, "Good fences make good neighbors"...but honestly, you went out of your way to try and fix the issue. I would start with, what is a "not halter broke" horse doing in an area she can escape. And prolly end with, "If you do not like the fencing which has kept my horses in for 15 years, you are welcome to spend the money to put up new fencing to keep your horses in your yard."

You were being the good neighbor.

Margaret

“Kind hearts are the gardens, kind thoughts are the roots, kind words are the flowers, kind deeds are the fruits. Take care of your garden and keep out the weeds, fill it with sunshine, kind words and kind deeds.” ~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (1808-1882)
Farmgirl #3020
www.grey-wolf-farm.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2011 :  2:04:48 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Wow! Maybe a double fence to keep them a little farther away? LOL Good job for being persistant!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

BalancingAct
True Blue Farmgirl

297 Posts

Jackie
Hoosierville
USA
297 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2011 :  9:49:02 PM  Show Profile
Just keep your thoughts to yourself and not "aggravate" someone who has been drinking. Alcohol does crazy things to the thought patterns and emotions and we don't want you ending up hurt. I would keep a journal of everything until your hubby gets back. That way it's documented; the dates, the time of day, the comments, the situation. If your fence was there before they were, and their horse has a "problem" staying in, then it is their responsibility to do something about their horse and making sure it stays on their property. If that horse does get out and gets hurt on your property and you have kept all the needed documents (including pictures for evidence) then they have no ground to stand on in case they want to cause trouble. Sounds like they "tip the bottle" too much anyway. Please keep us posted.

Farmgirl Sister #2851 -"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

BalancingAct
True Blue Farmgirl

297 Posts

Jackie
Hoosierville
USA
297 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2011 :  9:50:40 PM  Show Profile
P.S. He was "testing" you, so please watch your back. And your property.

Farmgirl Sister #2851 -"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2011 :  12:02:40 AM  Show Profile
If there is no evidence of him ever fixing the fence it's more then likely he didn't. I'm not trying to be mean or judgemental here but alcoholics often exaggerate and say they did things they never did in their lives!

My mom's little brother died a few years ago from alcoholism, he started drinking gasoline when he was 3 years old by the time he was my age he was drinking liters of vodka, packs of beer, and all kinds of things EVERY day! (the liter of vodka was breakfast!) He was always making things up he "did" and every one in his life would KNOW he didn't do it. Why in the world he would think he could even convince us he did them is beyond me to this day.

For instance, he was born in 1961, he started saying the last few years of his life he fought in Viet Nam, my step father was born in 1945, he was of the last to fight in Viet Nam and was of the youngest......there is NO way my uncle just by age alone could of ever fought in Viet Nam. The CRAZIEST part of all this is I just recently went to his grave site cause I was there for a cousins funeral and his widow (his same age!) actually has military stuff on his grave as if he was a vet (you know it was for memorial day). He was never even in the military let alone a vet. Disgraceful in my opinion. But, that just goes to show how he would try to convince people of things he did. The craziest thing was though trying to convince my step father that he had fought in viet nam, when my step father came into my uncle life, my uncle was 12, and viet nam had been over for quite a bit by then! UHG! Thankfully my step father is a nice guy a lot of vets would of probably beaten him up for obviously being such a idiot for lying about such a thing! *sigh*

but, yeah it's highly unlikely your neighbor ever has done anything to fix your fence. I suspect every time he talks to you the number of times he's "fixed" you fence will go to outlandish numbers.

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

adnama
True Blue Farmgirl

171 Posts

inge
fargo north dakota
USA
171 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2011 :  04:11:24 AM  Show Profile
Wow, I admire your gumption, and creative thinking to fix the problem. Is there a friend or relative that can come out on occasion to stay with you just to be there, maybe enjoy a day in the country with you? While the "neighbor" may have been tipping back a couple, and he may have a relationship with your husband, I find it odd that he would be so adamant in his statements. He might just be an oddball, but since he knows that your man is gone, it should be known that you have people that are at your home with you on and off during his absence. Take care, be well and happy.
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2011 :  04:29:04 AM  Show Profile
I'm super proud of you! I probably would've been much less of a "Farmgirl" if I was put in that situation. Especially with my husband gone for a month!!!

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

traildancer
True Blue Farmgirl

485 Posts

Loyce
Glide OR
USA
485 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2011 :  09:22:49 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for your responses. I do have friends over occasionally and also have three dogs who definately bark when people come up. I know, I probably sound naive. There has never been a problem with these neighbors before. I don't think there will be. He actually was quite helpful, even supplying some material, and quite apologetic. There was another local guy with him who I know by sight from the local store. And this is only the second time the filly has gotten out. Her mother was recently taken away and at 13 months the poor girl had not been weaned. She was only looking for other horses.

And, yes, I wondered about the "not halter broke" also. No excuse, in my opinion. I don't think they know much about horses.

Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2011 :  10:14:25 AM  Show Profile
That was so funny! All I can say is you are an awesome farmgirl. Quite the problem solver too!
As a farmgirl with alcoholic neighbors I have to second the advice to document everything. I know it turned out well but his version of the event may not be the same as yours the next time he is drunk. He may only remember the ugly part the next time his horse gets into your field. My experience is that you can never expect normal behavior or reactions from an alcoholic! That is hard for those of us that don't have the problem to get our minds around but it is the only way to protect yourself. Better to be prepared to defend yourself in the legal system than to think you can talk sense into an alcoholic.
Our drunk neighbor held us responsible for the farm across the streets horse getting into his field through our fence. He fenced the front of his field but not the side where our fence was. We had no animals on our land and never noticed the fence that had no purpose to us. Bear in mind we had just bought the farm and were barely moved in. We were harassed and threatened about that fence for weeks. We finally ended up in court. He actually sued us! It was very unpleasant but the outcome was that he was ordered to put up his own fence. We had surveyors come out and find the property lines and he ended up losing about 3/4 of an acre of land. Turns out the horse had never made it on to "his" land at all! LOL
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

Heartbroken farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Annette
rio vista Ca
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2011 :  10:22:26 AM  Show Profile  Send Heartbroken farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
I just keep picturing you on a toilet, lifting the pounder down! How'd you get it up 6ft to fix the post?
Hopefully, things stay friendly with your neighbors. Maybe he'd been drinkin a bit before the first conversation, and then was much more intoxicated by the second? It's never fun to be on "not so good" terms with neighbors. And I'm so glad you're okay, after leading a horse who wasn't halter broken!!

The tears I shed then, watered the flowers I harvest now.

www.broken908.blogspot.com
http://forums.familyfriendpoems.com/broken908

"The aim of education is the knowledge not of facts but of values."-Dean William Ralph Inge
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2011 :  5:55:33 PM  Show Profile
The toilet and the pounder...there's a funny in there somewhere...

Good on you for sticking up for yourself but keeping things on an even keel. With your hubs in AK, you need to keep a sharp eye.

Glad the filly is okay too.

For some 'venting'-type of entertainment, please read my blog, http://lostadventuresintrucking.blogspot.com . Now with pictures!!

Go to Top of Page

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2011 :  7:27:04 PM  Show Profile
Very very funny...the image in my mind of you on the toilet (even though I dont know what you look like in person...lol) Too Funny! Thanks fo rsharing and do keep an extra eye out...Glad you have 3 dogs to "alert" you since you are there alone, and yes- I would keep things cordial and also let it be known that you DO have lots of company that stops by unexpectadly.
Smiles,

~Laurie
"Little Hen House on the Island"
Farmgirl Sister#1403

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2011 :  9:48:47 PM  Show Profile
Aw, Loyce... this IS the Douglas County experience! :D Half drunk yahoo neighbors!
I was born in Reedsport, my hubby was born in Riddle. We KNOW Douglas County.

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi

"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

Lorraine Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

158 Posts

lorraine
salt point ny
USA
158 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2011 :  9:51:02 PM  Show Profile
i could not imagine a horse escaping once, that has to be a doozy! and the neighbor thing so sorry! i have a horrible one! however his kids are nice.
I have 2 goats, they escaped 5 times today, the neighbors son tied them up (the 3 time)to my husbands pick up. I thanked him and to my self i just thought what a silly thing to do you will never stop a goat by tying it up with rope, as i was untying them they were trying to eat the rope... so funny! when my husband got home, he changed the fencing hopefully they won't get out any more....... neighbors everyone has them most of us don't care for them...... with the rare exception of a few... and drinkers are not fun at all!
good luck i hope it gets better!

LorraineMichelle
Farmgirl #3007

Chickens are like potato chips...
You can't have just one!
Go to Top of Page

ranchmama
True Blue Farmgirl

360 Posts

Elise
Rosebud MT
USA
360 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2011 :  5:06:14 PM  Show Profile
Sorry you had troubles, neighbors can be hard to get along with...

I'm just writing a tip on the post pounder... Next time you need to pound a post in, lay the post down on the ground where you are going to put it in the fence. The bottom should be under the bottom wire and lay it out toward you standing looking at the fence. Put the pounder on your sholder and stand in front of the top of the post. pick up the post and put it in the pounder, you are a few feet from the fence now and the top will only be a few feet off the ground. Then just walk down the post and it's now upright with the pounder on top. Then just drive it in, make sence?? It's hard for me to describe, easier to show!

Every Child Deserves Our Love &
A Bear of Their Own
http://ATeddyForKeeps.org

http://ranchmama.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2011 :  2:48:39 PM  Show Profile
Kathy, It probably couldn't hurt anything to put your house on the market-- I couldn't live with worrying about my house and my animals every time I left home and you never know, right?

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi
http://silvermoonfarm.blogspot.com/
"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2011 :  3:13:59 PM  Show Profile
Joyce:
I think you handled that situation beautifully. Better than I would have, for sure!
I enjoyed reading all about you and the neighbor. LOL
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

traildancer
True Blue Farmgirl

485 Posts

Loyce
Glide OR
USA
485 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2011 :  10:32:35 AM  Show Profile
Okay--update on the neighbor issue.

I ran in to them at the store. Said hi. We talked about a couple of things. They want ODOT to pay for some nicks in their windshield. ODOT did that last year because of the surfacing they laid down. I'm pretty sure the time limit has run out. Oh, well. Alcohol aroma.

Several days later I get a rambling message on the machine about a "cougar" attack on their filly. Scratched up bad on front and back legs on one side, maybe so bad the horse will need to be put down. Then informed me that he had seen a cougar and that this one that attacked was little so it was a cub, yadda, yadda, yadda.

I did not respond as I seriously doubted his story. My horses were in the same area and my dogs never barked.

So they get a vet out. The assistant happens to be my daughter's best friend. No cougar!! Imagine that. I have never been involved in a cougar attack but I believe that they usually attack from behind or above the animal, not lower leg scratches on the same side. I guess finally the head vet convinced them that that no couger was involved. They had the filly in the pasture down by the creek. Their entire "pasture" area is full of various pieces of junk.

I asked Melanie (the assistant) about the little horse. She said the hoof was starting to separate. It would be a couple thousand dollars to fix her. They don't have that. They barely even have enough to pay for Melanie's gas.

I feel kind of bad for them. But these people should not own a horse, in my opinion.

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Neighbor issues (pretty long); okay, REALLY long Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page