LuckyMommyof5
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Suzanne
OH
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2011 :  05:01:33 AM  Show Profile
I've been invited to the August baby shower of a very, very close friend of mine who'd been told long ago that she wouldn't be able to have children - but, after 6 years with her husband she got the happiest surprise of her life and is now expecting a healthy baby boy in September!

I'm beyond overjoyed for her and have been looking at her baby registeries and have been really trying to decide what things I could get her that would be of the most use or the most dear.

I know I've done the "new baby" experience four times, but I've been trying to remember what baby gear or items were the most useful and cherished when I was a mom for the very FIRST time, like she's about to be and thought I would ask everyone their opinions.

Also, any suggestions on something I could make for baby that wouldn't be too difficult?

Farmgirl Sister #3243

"The real things haven't changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures; and have courage when things go wrong." - Laura Ingalls Wilder

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2011 :  07:18:29 AM  Show Profile
I highly recommend a sling--I couldn't have done without one--I planted peas, potatoes and onions with Violet in the sling when she was 2 weeks old. And the sling just comforts them the way typical holding can't, especially if the babe is colicy or just upset. I gave mine to my friend who just had her 3rd and she said she hasn't stopped using it since I gave it to her! I know that there are ample patterns for them on the internet, even some posted on this Parenting thread, but I'm no seamstress, so we purchased a Hotsling. I've also been told New Native is a great brand.

Also, if she registered for a Boppy pillow, that's a good thing, too. I know most of my friends couldn't live without theirs, and we found it useful, too.

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Sobyn
True Blue Farmgirl

752 Posts

Sabrina
Kansas
USA
752 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2011 :  07:36:32 AM  Show Profile
I second the Boppy, its good for so many things. I never liked the sling style carriers they just didn't feel secure to me (tried a couple different kind) but this time I have an ergo and am planning to make a wrap style (moby) carrier. So that's another thought. I bet if you could find someone with a boppy you could easily make a pattern by tracing it and allowing for seams. I need a new one and am not planning to make the actual boppy (although now that I think about it maybe I will....or maybe I'll just rip a seam and re-stuff the one I have) but I do want to try making some new covers :).

Farmgirl Sister #3275
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2011 :  08:26:01 AM  Show Profile
Yep - I was just going to say the Boppy, too! Not only did it make it easier when nursing, as my son grew, it became kind of a huggy-pillow cradling him to lay (and later sit) more upright when he was on the floor or bed. Later, as a toddler, it was his favorite pillow to lean on while reading or watching television. It was the best! :)

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

www.papercraftingwithnini.myctmh.com

Go to Top of Page

Joey
True Blue Farmgirl

1868 Posts

Joey
Gulf Coast FL
USA
1868 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2011 :  08:32:42 AM  Show Profile
I know this is really different...but I am a nurse and remember how scared I was when I had to save a friends 1yo from chocking on a hotdog. I recemmend a CPR class that I pay for. It isn't "cute and cuddly" but the baby you save may be your own. The people I've given it to have really appreciated something they never thought of. Just a (different) suggestion. I also like the shades that keep the sun out of the babies eyes in the car. Joey

Well behaved women rarely make history.
Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2011 :  08:48:45 AM  Show Profile
I loved the Boppy. The CPR class is a great idea! Other ideas I've seen are concert/dinner tickets so the happy parents can have a date night. There's also photo session gifts or buying into a college fund. If the baby is going to be christened or baptized you could get the outfit.

~FarmDream is Farmgirl Sister #3069

Live Today, Cherish Yesterday, Dream Tomorrow

http://naturaljulie.etsy.com
http://julie-rants.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2011 :  09:47:04 AM  Show Profile
I'm going against the grain here, and instead of the boppy I would recommend a different breastfeeding pillow that is "better" then the boppy. The boppy shifts and moves and you can't stand up "wearing" the boppy and keeping baby on it to move, if you need to. Sometimes you want to move the baby cause they fell asleep while nursing, and a boppy you have to pick the baby up and move the boppy and then move the baby. The My brestfriend (yes I spelled it right, has no A in the spelling) pillow attached to the mother, stays in place (no matter how fussy baby is it does NOT move!) and you can actually stand up and walk with it on. Yes keep a hold of the baby, but when you are tired or have a bad back it does take some of the weight out of carrying the baby, and they don't wake up! so you can walk to another room or what ever if needed. I also really like the padded waist band that attaches to you. It puts support on my back right where I need it and makes my back feel good, and not hurt!

I also second a sling or carrier of some sort. I know that a lot of people only know about things like the carriers they sell at walmart and such and those are horrid, they hurt your back and don't help much beyond a month or so. But, with the really good slings/carriers you can carry a child for two or more years, and not be hurting your back! If you want to go with more expensive, the ergo, or baby hawk oh snap (pretty much the same as ergo-if you get the oh snap style), and the becco are all popular. I have personally only had the baby hawk, I have tried the ergo on at the store though and liked it too.

If you like the baby hawk with out the snaps (buckles really not real snaps) and the mei tie version but do not have the money for a baby hawk or other such mei tie, Target does sell one that I tried on one day and fit great, and I think would work great, for only 40 dollars. However it is a brand (infantino) that many people are boycotting so goes on your conscience level on that, put together with your budget. Personally if it's all my budget could afford I would get it. The mei tie as far as I could tell in the store (I already had the baby hawk so didn't need it) was very good quality and put on just fine, was pretty cute as far as looks went, and seemed to hold my baby easily and would of worked just as good as the baby hawk.

The only probably with making a mie tie is I hear that not all the patterns are as comfortable as the ones you can buy, due to some patterns having you put the straps in the wrong places, and some not being padded straps.

I think if I was going to opt to make a sling/carrier I would go with a pocket sling. They seem to be fairly simular and not much to mess up with. I love my kangaroo pouches! I bought most mine on clearance from them around 40 dollars, however, they went out of business with all the new laws on selling children's items (fabric testing and such that is now required). There is also the ring slings, but I must say from my own experience they have to be made just right to fit right. I have one that is horrible and I just thought it was me and that ring slings just either weren't meant for me, or I didn't know how to wear it right or something! But, then I was at a LLL swap meet a few weeks ago and had the lady show me how to wear the one she was selling, ok she put it on just like I had thought and had been doing the others, but it FIT and worked and didn't hurt! I think the one I have is too "big" for my body type! And takes my body over and then puts strain on my neck. I bought the one from the swap and love it! So apparently they are more fitted then they look!

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

LuckyMommyof5
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Suzanne
OH
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2011 :  2:25:35 PM  Show Profile
I think everyone is right - Boppies and slings/carriers were the things I've used over and over for each of my girls and that were useful right away after I had my first. I liked the Infant CPR class suggestion and the idea to give them something for a "date night."

Also, Sabrina - I totally ripped out an area on the seams on my boppies (I have two - one for upstairs and one for downstairs) and restuffed them so they were nice and replumped for each newborn. It worked really well and I used extra heavy thread to sew them back up just to be safe. I think it's a great idea to make some of your own covers - then you can pick the fabric.

Farmgirl Sister #3243

"The real things haven't changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures; and have courage when things go wrong." - Laura Ingalls Wilder
Go to Top of Page

MamaCrunch
True Blue Farmgirl

161 Posts

Nasvhille TN
USA
161 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2011 :  08:36:40 AM  Show Profile
Aden+Anais blankets were life savers for us. They make great swaddles and have mAny other uses. My son, almost 2, now uses them as a top sheet for his bed.

Having suggested that I'm a huge fan of buying off someone's registry. Those are the things that they feel they need and would like to have. Usually I pick a registry item and the include Something else handmade or that I feel they really need that isn't on their list.

Farmgirl #2161
Just tryin' to homestead in the middle of a suburban neighborhood!
Blog~ http://thelittleboygreen.com
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2011 :  08:43:04 AM  Show Profile
I also buy off registry's, and I even like giving gift cards so they can buy a special something that they didn't think or even know was needed. We used our gift cards for a larger car seat when the time came--that was a big help.

I know gift cards might seem impersonal, but it's important to remember that every baby is different (i.e, I registered for a bunch of swaddlers and my little one detested swaddling--way to make her angrier!!!) so gift cards can allow for some trial and error, too :)

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2011 :  09:57:42 AM  Show Profile
Jonni I was just thinking that about swaddling as well. Neither of my girls liked it at all! lol To this day it's hard to keep either one even under a blanket we just have to put them to bed in warm PJ's since they detest blankets so much. Otherwise they wake up sick! lol

As for gift cards I must say, my weight loss group and my husband's co-workers gave us a lot of them! That's how we were able to get the My Brestfriend pillow, AND when it was time the high chair we needed!

BTW, I love our high chair! lol It's convertible, it goes from new born (as it has harnesses, and leans all the way back to a sleeping position), to quite large toddler, as you can also adjust it's height which I love because then when they are old enough we take the tray off and lower the seat and just pull it up to the table and it's just the right height for them at the table, so they aren't on their knees, or in a haphazard booster chair either. With it's steps on front they can get in and out themselves by then.

We also love our "travel" high chair so much when I found out I was preggers again while DD2 is still only 1 y/o we bought a second one. One is a monkey and one is a dog. They are very light weight and screw on to tables. What I like about it is it also has a harness, mine are not into "sitting" if not tied down! The little lap belts at many restaurants high chairs do nothing to keep my children in. Not to mention in NYC the high chairs in most places were filthy. We get comment after comment no matter where we go about where we got our high chairs. We got the first one at Toys R Us for only 15 dollars! But, they don't carry it any more. (it's a munchkin, I have a feeling munchkin may no longer make them) the last one we went ahead and paid almost triple for (40 dollars!) from a internet website, cause we liked it so much. The ones now sold at Toys R Us are much more expensive and still don't have the harness! We also when we bought the monkey from Toys R Us seen a Hippo one, but it was a lot more money, I am not sure what brand it was though, and haven't found it online when looking.

However on the high chair situation, my children are mobile much quicker then most children so that's why the harnesses are so important! Mine start walking at about 4 to 6 months old! (yes walking not sitting up or crawling. They sit up around 2 months old, crawling well DD1 skipped that all together! However, she was "rolling" at only a week old to where ever she wanted to go.) I had a girlfriend come to visit me in NYC after I had DD2, and she was helping me sort clothes out for DD2 from DD1 old clothes and she said, wow how did these tiny little socks get so stained up usually the tiny ones aren't stained like this.....and I said well they don't make shoes for that size of a child to walk in, (the shoes when they are that little are only to look like they are wearing shoes not designed for actual walking) and she said oh yeah, I forgot yours walk when they are that tiny! Most babies aren't walking at that size!

Edited by - MagnoliaWhisper on Jul 22 2011 10:02:26 AM
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2011 :  3:03:06 PM  Show Profile
Oh Heather. I'm not sure I'm ready for a baby to be mobile that soon! You had your hands full for sure. Good luck with the upcoming one.

http://www.inntheorchardbnb.com/
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2011 :  4:24:18 PM  Show Profile
Not a regular boppy, which is also essential, but a bopee LOUNGER! Favorite thing ever! It is now Tina the pug's dog bed. When Owen was little, they didn't make covers, but we just used a blanket to cover in case of a mess.

Trish

Make cupcakes not war!
Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2011 :  07:04:11 AM  Show Profile
Boppy pillow, Bumbo seat (AMAZING!!!!) with tray, outlet covers (everyone typically forgets those!)

Mothers are those wonderful people who can get up in the morning before the smell of coffee. ~Author Unknown

http://countryrenaissance.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SunflowersAndHoney
Go to Top of Page

HollyG
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

Holly
Hamburg Arkansas
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2011 :  6:43:16 PM  Show Profile  Click to see HollyG's MSN Messenger address
My standard gift is always a baby bath-tub, complete with a set of good-smelling (particularly a lavendar based) soap and lotion set. I usually tuck in a manicure kit, package of diapers, one of those hooded snuggly towels to dry them off in, and gas drops. It's a gift set I've never had duplicated at any shower - and I've not had one mom-to-be tell me she already had a tub. It seems to be one of those things that slip their minds. I get the ones with the foamy padding in the bottom so the baby is secure. New moms are hesitant about bathing - although homes come equipped with sinks, they do sometimes prefer the security of a carrier type tub. I'm sure whatever your gift your friend will be greatly appreciated.

HollyG
Farmgirl #2513
www.mydeepwoodslife.com
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2011 :  7:33:08 PM  Show Profile
I never have used a baby tub. I always put the babies in the bathtub with me. Seems easier to me. I used to do my nieces and nephews when I was younger in the sink though. But, the soap and towels and stuff always need.

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2011 :  8:38:57 PM  Show Profile
You know... I was just thinking. One time I gave one of my friends a "medical kit," which included "What to Expect the First Year," a "Doctor Spock" book, Pedialyte, the thermometer, soothing lullaby cds, a vaporizer, those natural melty teething tablets, one of those washcloth bunny teethers, and other "emergency" stuff that I can't think of off the top of my head right now. My son had been very ill when he was just a baby, and I would have really appreciated having some of these things on hand - just in case. She called a few months after her baby was born, thanking me profusely for the kit - she said these were all things she would never have thought to buy, but when her baby got sick, they were right there waiting, and a real godsend. I'm also thinking a little insulated bag with an ice pack would be good to have on hand... I wish I could remember more, but maybe these ideas will jog some more with all of you??? Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

www.papercraftingwithnini.myctmh.com

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2011 :  9:05:06 PM  Show Profile
Great idea Nini. Many new mom's don't know about the teething tablets, and they are invaluable! Vaporizer can also come in handy. They also now have baby Vic's. If the mom is breastfeeding it's important if she gets sick to only use the baby Vic's as well not because of poisoning the baby, but the adult Vic's has ingredients in it that can effect mom's milk supply. So baby Vic's would be great to have too. Funny thing is my baby LOVES Vic's! lol Even when she isn't sick if she finds the jar she brings it to me and starts sniffing her nose trying to get me to put it on her. lol Funny baby loves the smell of it! lol hahaha

Go to Top of Page
  Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic baby gift "musts?" Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page