LuckyMommyof5
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Suzanne
OH
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2011 :  05:10:00 AM  Show Profile
My daughters and I frequent our local second-hand bookstore like it's our second home. A few weeks ago, we found a whole set of Nancy Drew books that were from the late 1950s (re-printed and revised from the 1930s originals) and brought them home.

I got them for my 9 year old, but my 6 and 3 year olds begged me to read them aloud so they could join in, and now we're all hooked. We're on book 4 of the ones we bought and they are entranced. I remember reading Nancy Drew books from my library when I was young, but I had forgotten how much I liked them.

Anyone else a Nancy fan?

Farmgirl Sister #3243

"The real things haven't changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures; and have courage when things go wrong." - Laura Ingalls Wilder

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2011 :  06:30:49 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I LOVE Nancy Drew!! And Cherry Ames!!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Marcy
True Blue Farmgirl

2701 Posts

Marcy
Tiverton Rhode Island
USA
2701 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2011 :  06:33:59 AM  Show Profile
I really liked Nancy Drew, but I loved Trixie Belden. I'm still keeping my eyes on open on finding some of those books. Hope you enjoy yours!

hugs
Marcy

Farmgirl #170

Since you get more joy out of giving joy to others, you should put a good deal of thought into the happiness that you are able to give...Eleanor Roosevelt

Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2011 :  06:49:29 AM  Show Profile
There was also Donna Parker. Why that sticks in my brain I'll never know... I loved and read them all too. Don't forget the Hardy Boys books! I loved them too. So what if I was a girl? LOL
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

LuckyMommyof5
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Suzanne
OH
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2011 :  07:07:21 AM  Show Profile
We love Trixie Belden, too!! We picked up about 8 of those at our second-hand bookstore a few months back and I read books 1-3 to my girls and they adored them! Check used book stores and there were some re-prints recently (maintaining a lot of the 50s/60s text without too much revision) of Trixie Belden that I saw for sale on Amazon.com.

We also discovered Bobbsey Twin Mysteries and I love how fun and retro those are, too.

Farmgirl Sister #3243

"The real things haven't changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures; and have courage when things go wrong." - Laura Ingalls Wilder
Go to Top of Page

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2011 :  08:08:54 AM  Show Profile
I read them all in the early '60s and still have them all. Every once in awhile I will pick one up and read it again, I love them. I liked the Bobbsey Twins too.
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

LuckyMommyof5
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Suzanne
OH
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2011 :  09:16:55 AM  Show Profile
All those series are so great. I've never heard of Donna Parker or Cherry Ames before. I will have to check our used bookstore for those next!

Farmgirl Sister #3243

Go to Top of Page

TansyShy
True Blue Farmgirl

100 Posts

Joanna
Wasilla AK
USA
100 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2011 :  10:16:27 AM  Show Profile  Send TansyShy an AOL message  Click to see TansyShy's MSN Messenger address  Send TansyShy a Yahoo! Message
I still love Nancy Drew and am constantly picking up the old 1930s original books or the games. Though my love for Nancy Drew didnt come until I was older. When I was growing up I read the Mandie Books by Lois Gladys Leppard and fell in love with those.

Farm girl Sister #907

http://joannasmusings.blogspot.com/

Crayola skies for a thousand miles.
~Charmed Life~
Uptown Girls Soundtrack
Go to Top of Page

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2011 :  12:55:25 PM  Show Profile
I love Nancy Drew - I am always on the look out for the old books!!!

~ Elaine
Farmgirl sister #2822

"Find yourself a cup of tea; the teapot is behind you. Now tell me about hundreds of things." ~Saki

http://embchicken.blogspot.com

http://gusandtrudy.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

LuckyMommyof5
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Suzanne
OH
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2011 :  1:15:53 PM  Show Profile
The Mandie stories are terrific. We've also read quite a few Boxcar Children mysteries. I just can't believe how into the Nancy Drew stories I am as I am reading them now to my girls. She's such a great female character - just like Trixie Belden, too. I checked on the Cherry Ames books on Amazon and they look like something my girls would like. I'll keep an eye out at the used book store. We love our second hand bookstore - we go so often the staff knows us by name - and they are all super there!

Farmgirl Sister #3243

Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2011 :  9:26:17 PM  Show Profile
I have all of my Mom's Nancy Drew books from when she was a kid! I think they're a great series to read. If anyone is looking for the originals or older reprints, Half Price Books is a great place to go.
God's and Farmgirl's Blessings,
Megan

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.

The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work.
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9381 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9381 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2011 :  5:45:17 PM  Show Profile
Love Nancy Drew. I like to collect the ones with the old blue covers or black mottled ones. I have a lot of the Hardy Boys too. Brown covers on those. I lucked out at our local thrift one day last summer. They had a whole set of the Happy Hollisters books for $2.00 for 27 books. Does anyone remember those? I have a few of the Bobbsey twins. Really enjoy all those old books!

farmgirl sister#43

O, a trouble's a ton or a trouble's an ounce,
Or a trouble is what you make it!
And it isn't the fact that you're hurt that counts,
But only--how did you take it?

--Edmund C. Vance.
Go to Top of Page

LuckyMommyof5
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Suzanne
OH
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2011 :  5:58:03 PM  Show Profile
I saw a set of the Happy Hollisters at our Half Price Books, but had never heard of them before. Are they good?

Farmgirl Sister #3243

Go to Top of Page

LuckyMommyof5
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Suzanne
OH
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2011 :  09:55:24 AM  Show Profile
Has anyone heard of Vicki Barr? I went to my Half Price Books yesterday and asked a staff member about classic/vintage books for girls and he mentioned the Vicki Barr series by Helen Wells (same woman who I discovered wrote the Cherry Ames books mentioned in another post). He said the Vicki Barr character was a junior flight attendant who traveled around solving mysteries in the course of her flight assignments. The books were written in the late 40s/ early 50s. The staff member said the books were like Nancy Drew in the skies! Ha! I'm going to be on the lookout for those and thought I would share the info I learned!

Farmgirl Sister #3243

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9381 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9381 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2011 :  11:22:25 AM  Show Profile
I like the Happy Hollisters books for the grandkids. I couldn't pass up that 2.00 dollar deal either. I think have heard of Vicki Barr but don't not familiar with them.

farmgirl sister#43

O, a trouble's a ton or a trouble's an ounce,
Or a trouble is what you make it!
And it isn't the fact that you're hurt that counts,
But only--how did you take it?

--Edmund C. Vance.
Go to Top of Page

LuckyMommyof5
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Suzanne
OH
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2011 :  7:08:05 PM  Show Profile
That is a good deal for a whole set of vintage books. I love finding deals like that - especially on books. I'll keep my eyes out for Happy Hollisters books and I'm trying to track down some Vicki Barr books to read to my girls. Always fun checking yard sales and library sales for great finds.

Farmgirl Sister #3243

Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4740 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4740 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2011 :  09:30:46 AM  Show Profile
I fell in love with the Nancy Drew series when I was about 10. My parents would give me a set of 3 for Christmas and my birthday. Mine were from 1970 through 1975. I still have them and am wondering if I should give them away. I have 3 sons who had no interest them!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

LuckyMommyof5
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Suzanne
OH
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2011 :  1:46:56 PM  Show Profile
If I were you, I would keep them - you never know if you will have graddaughters in the distant future and then they will be collector's items.

Farmgirl Sister #3243

Go to Top of Page
  Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Nancy Drew Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page