Sabrena Orr
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Sabrena
Olympia WA
USA
198 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2011 :  10:51:31 AM  Show Profile
I am really excited for Christmas this year! My oldest will be back from college and as a family we have decided that "less is best" and will focus on our time together as a family!

Sabrena, Olympia
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2011 :  12:11:09 PM  Show Profile
Judy its hard to be merry & bright when your financial future is so uncertain, I can't work right now and it's driving me nuts. Home made gifts are so much more precious than anything store bought. If you have a lot of that mattress pad left and some fleece, warm Christmas slippers are pretty easy to make for the family =) There are a lot of patterns on line for them.

Here is one of our favorite holiday treats! (ok, I cheat and make these when ever I feel like my sweetie needs a special treat)

Tandoori Spice Nuts ~

1/2 c low-fat plain yogurt
1/2 stick of butter or margarine, melted
3 tbsp curry powder
2 tbsp ground cumin
2 tsp sea salt
1 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
3/4 tsp ground hot pepper
1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 pound pecan halves
1/2 pound walnut halves
(We often just use a pound of peanuts and they are equally delicious, and not so hard on the budget)

Heat oven to 275
In a large bowl mix everything together but the nuts until well blended. Add the nuts and toss to coat them. Spread out nuts on a shallow baking tin or cookie sheet. Bake at 275 for about an hour or until they turn golden brown, stirring occasionally. Either let cool completely and store in an airtight container, which will keep longer if you refrigerate them or pounce of and gobble up immediately!

HUGS!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

J.F. Brown
True Blue Farmgirl

130 Posts

Jamie
Beaverton OR
USA
130 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2011 :  8:49:33 PM  Show Profile
One of my favorite, really inexpensive ones is a bulb to force. I started doing this when my son was in school- with special needs, he had lots of aides and teachers, and I wanted to give something to each one. I went to thrift shops and picked up small pretty containers... random teacups would be good... bought a bag of paper-white narcissus, which can be somewhere around 25 cents apiece, a bag of gravel, though you could use anything you have, and printed or wrote out instructions, which are all over online.
We also have done beeswax ornaments, using candy molds to shape them,and chocolate bark with all kinds of different stuff, from really simple (crushed candy canes) to really exotic( pistachios and flower petals).
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Christmas? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page