Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2011 :  07:28:59 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Has anyone started thinking about Christmas yet? I am really excited for it this year because I think, for once, we won't be in dire straights money wise!! It is going to be fantastic!! I still want to do a lot homemade/handmade. I haven't decided what yet but am thinking some canned goods from my garden and then ??

Anyone else planning ahead and have any ideas?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2011 :  07:36:24 AM  Show Profile
No! It's not that I hate Christmas, I just don't have the heart to think on it when it's 99 degrees :) I do start putting back $$$ about the last of August, but we've really sworn off expensive gifts for people--and making things is really difficult for me when I work full time and then come home and try to do all the normal life stuff. I don't have much energy for creativity, right now. And this year, we're asking our family not to buy Violet toys, but to get us memberships to the zoo, aquarium and children's museum. She doesn't play with HALF the stuff she was given last Christmas--still the same, tried and true, like wooden blocks.

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2011 :  09:11:39 AM  Show Profile
I've started thinking about it, for sure! I've kind of been thinking, though, that this year, it'll be more simple, more sweet, and more precious - more "calm and bright." Serene blues, greens and crisp whites offset by sparkling silvers and candlelight - colors that surround us every day, just with a little more pizzazz to celebrate the season. I'll probably change my mind as the holidays approach, but right now, I'm just really wanting to focus even more on the meaning of Christmas. I want to create an atmosphere of gratitude and joy for the blessings we've already received, and focus less on that which we do not have or want. I usually make gifts for family and friends, but this year, tangible gifts will be fewer, and limited to my husband, son and parents. In lieu of gifts to others, I'm planning to send pretty handmade cards with the deepest heartfelt sentiments and recollections of shared memories - maybe even including an old cherished picture or memento. I recently had the priviledge of visiting with a beloved aunt who had been very sick. While waiting to find out whether she would survive, my thoughts centered around how much she meant to me - to us. Knowing that I might not have the opportunity to tell her broke my heart - she needed to know! Thankfully, she is recuperating despite the odds the doctors gave. When I saw her last weekend, I made it a point to share with her about the profound affect her loving wisdom and encouragement has had on me, especially when I was a young mother. Tears poured down her cheeks as I shared with her all of the times I recalled her words over the years, and how they have helped shaped so much of who I am today. What a gift sharing that with her was - to BOTH of us! I started thinking about how many people in our lives really need to know how their planted seeds of blessing have blossomed and bloomed in our lives. I've decided to write special notes and letters to everyone we care about this year, a little at a time, so these "fragrant flowers" will be ready to give back at Christmas. Sharing love is the most priceless gift of all! :) Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

www.papercraftingwithnini.myctmh.com

Edited by - Ninibini on Jul 20 2011 10:47:42 AM
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2011 :  09:31:25 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Nini- That was wonderful! Thank you so much for sharing that! You made me realize how much I would hate to not share memories with my grandparents if they passed away right now. Thank you!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

woolgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

901 Posts

Elizabeth
Great Lakes IL
USA
901 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2011 :  09:35:45 AM  Show Profile
Ok...I will admit is has been on my mind for quite some time...lol!

I actually am starting these little beauties for my tree:
http://attic24.typepad.com/weblog/bauble-decoration.html

I am starting gifts as well. Mainly washcloths and holiday scented soaps. I just got my Christmas smelling essential oils the other day. And the Christmas yarn just got put out, and if you want it you seem to have to buy it now! I like to have a lot on hand for quick gifts for people who sometimes get forgotten, teachers, the nice gal at the doctor's office, daycare ladies. I think I will put up some festive type canned goods too, I have a carrot cake jam recipe that sounds really good.

Aaaaahhh!!! I love the holidays!

Liz
Farmgirl #1947
www.militaryfarmgirl.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2011 :  10:09:01 AM  Show Profile
LOL, not really....BUT when I changed my livingroom around (again lol) I did see the perfect spot for my tree so, in a way....I guess I am.

BUT I am not looking forward to cold weather! We are having a very cool, wet summer sofar....so....hoping the weather will brighten some and it will become warmer first lol.

Nini, reading your account...makes me wish I was a fly on your wall around Christmas :) Sounds like a wonderful decor you are planning, so sweet and calm and serene

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

http://pinkprincessdecorating.blogspot.com/
Almost daily updates on me, my home and my crafts

Farmgirl sister # 2410
Go to Top of Page

Bushel n Peck
True Blue Farmgirl

251 Posts

Tracy
Truly MT
USA
251 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2011 :  10:51:44 AM  Show Profile
We are defintitely keeping winter and Christmas in mind now during this heat wave. We have been collecting fire wood! My canned jams and jellies are popular gifts and crochet items are usually for a few lucky people.

Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at the testing point.
C. S. Lewis

Edited by - Bushel n Peck on Jul 20 2011 10:53:20 AM
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3318 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3318 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2011 :  12:44:15 PM  Show Profile
Alee!! While I was busy getting ready for the big party you mentioned I should de-clutter i.e. removing any Christmas decorations which I promptly did-LOL! How did you know I still had Christmas stuff out??

With this humid 90-degree plus weather I have to admit Alee, I HAVE been thinking about Christmas! I plan on making a ton of jellies and jams to give away in my gift baskets starting with 20-pounds of strawberries frozen and ready to go as soon as it cools down around here...then my apple and plum harvest in the fall. Last year instead of buying DH something I thought I would donate what I would have spent to the Animal Shelter here in town. He really liked that, so I will be doing that too! Otherwise, it will be a different Christmas for us this year with DD off to college and just the three of us left at home-They grow up so fast!

Nini...You are such a SWEET person. And you are right "sharing love is the greatest gift of all."

Melody
Farmgirl #525

Go to Top of Page

wild daisy
True Blue Farmgirl

503 Posts

Madelynne
Billings Montana
USA
503 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2011 :  5:05:31 PM  Show Profile
Yes I have started to think about Christmas. I have started to get stuff together to make birdhouse ornaments for my tree this year. I try and come up with some kind of theme for time to time. I just saw a flier from Michael's last year that had a birdhouse Menorah and I said to myself, I can do this for my tree next year. So my husband is even in on the idea. I will have to show you when and if I get them done.

Madelynne

www.johnandmadelynne.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

wild daisy
True Blue Farmgirl

503 Posts

Madelynne
Billings Montana
USA
503 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2011 :  5:07:29 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by wild daisy

Yes I have started to think about Christmas. I have started to get stuff together to make birdhouse ornaments for my tree this year. I try and come up with some kind of theme from time to time. I just saw a flier from Michael's last year that had a birdhouse Menorah and I said to myself, I can do this for my tree next year. So my husband is even in on the idea. I will have to show you when and if I get them done.

Madelynne

Madelynne

Go to Top of Page

wild daisy
True Blue Farmgirl

503 Posts

Madelynne
Billings Montana
USA
503 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2011 :  5:08:33 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by wild daisy

Yes I have started to think about Christmas. I have started to get stuff together to make birdhouse ornaments for my tree this year. I try and come up with some kind of theme from time to time. I just saw a flier from Michael's last year that had a birdhouse Menorah and I said to myself, I can do this for my tree next year. So my husband is even in on the idea. I will have to show you when and if I get them done.

Madelynne

Madelynne

Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2011 :  11:08:56 PM  Show Profile
Alee, it's just started to warm up, and we're talking Christmas presents already! I have started to begin to formulate ideas in my head, but I really want to do more sentimental things this year and not so much just pretty. If that makes any sense at all!
God's and Farmgirl's Blessings,
Megan

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.

The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work.
Go to Top of Page

JojoNH
True Blue Farmgirl

1984 Posts

Joanna
Dunbarton New Hampshire
USA
1984 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2011 :  04:59:07 AM  Show Profile
Woolgirl, those are adorable!! Thank you for sharing the link with us, now I have yet another project added to my to-do list. .LOL!!

Alee, I have Christmas on my mind year round!! LOL! I have been putting aside certain things for crafting when the temperatures begin to fall. I love making gifts for everyone and this year I am thinking of making Mug Rugs for folks like our Mail carrier, UPS Driver etc. I will include a travel mug filled with things like Hot Cocoa mix, some candies, a few cookies and a gift certificate for them to cash in with me for a dozen of their favorite cookies ( I love to bake )

Also working on a set of bathrobes for my In-laws, a new quilt for my son and my Honey. That's a good start for now.

Joanna #566

JojoNH
www.countrycents.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/CountryCents
http://CountryCents.Blogspot.com
www.JoannasHomeStudio.com "Keeping traditions alive a stitch at a time"
http://twitter.com/NHJoanna
Go to Top of Page

sidavis
True Blue Farmgirl

125 Posts

Susan
Vero Beach Fl
USA
125 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2011 :  06:44:52 AM  Show Profile
Christmas??????????? Yikes, I'm still getting ready for last Halloween. LOL

OK, I'm ready-Let's go.
Go to Top of Page

Sobyn
True Blue Farmgirl

752 Posts

Sabrina
Kansas
USA
752 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2011 :  07:45:42 AM  Show Profile
Hmm...well since I'm a year round volunteer for Operation Christmas Child I think about it all year :), and I've been stashing things I find on sale or make for OCC for months (come to think of it I need to make some phone calls for them this week...). For our personal Christmas I plan to make the girls doll clothes/accessories (either sewn or crocheted, maybe woven if I happen across a cute pattern) and crocheted or felted food. We already bought the little one a set of thomas the train stuff (70% off)that will be for either her birthday or Christmas and we will probably get my older one some legos (yardsales or ebay).

We don't do gifts for many other people. We usually do family pictures and send them to all the parents, grandparents, aunts etc and when I'm really on top of stuff I make picture CDroms of all the pics I've taken that year to send along as well (last year I dropped the ball on that part). That keeps it simple and pictures are expensive so we can't do them all the time and the family likes that!

I'm going to have to come back to this thread later and make a list of all the great homemade ideas. I didn't get enough jam put up this year to give too many gifts of it but maybe next year. I would love to have a stash of homemade items that I can give as small gifts at potlucks, parties, hostess gifts, friends etc. Maybe this year I'll plan ahead and buy the supplies (christmas thread etc) when it goes on sale to make things for next year :).

Farmgirl Sister #3275
Go to Top of Page

pinokeeo
True Blue Farmgirl

559 Posts

Phyllis
Oregon
USA
559 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2011 :  08:09:30 AM  Show Profile
We do the Angel card project, so I also think about Christmas often. I will be making things this year, since money is tight for us.

I like the idea of sharing memories instead of consumer capitalism. We only buy for our grandchildren and a couple of friends now, so it's easy for us, but we have started giving each other gifts of love instead of things that we have to dust.

I cannot master those things that I have not tried.

check out my artfire: http://www.artfire.com/users/PiNOKEEOs
Go to Top of Page

crafter
True Blue Farmgirl

2313 Posts

lori
Fort Atkinson Wisconsin
USA
2313 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2011 :  09:33:12 AM  Show Profile
the girls I work with, this year will be getting a quilted Christmas table runner 2 done 1 to go. My neighbors always get a basket of baked goods that my daughters and I make. My favorite neighbors get a cheesecake that we make. As for family always simple treasured things...I always make my daughters something that is the same, quilt, apron potholders etc..not really sure what this year, so if anyone has any ideas I would love to hear them!! I just had some Christmas music on the other day!
Go to Top of Page

njaw09
True Blue Farmgirl

397 Posts

Annie
NJ
USA
397 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2011 :  6:03:15 PM  Show Profile
Alee-
I have been thinking about Christmas these past few weeks...making a list and checking my fabric inventories.

I am hoping to create some coasters, trivets (??), place-mats, banners, clothing, ornaments and etc...but because I have other occasion (birthdays, Thanksgiving...) in between from now to Dec. I have to start cranking. Wow! Amazing how time flies.

blog: http://nj-nyc-3inna.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2011 :  7:45:58 PM  Show Profile
Christmas!!!

I have been buying thrifted baskets to fill with delectable things and saving jars of all sizes to fill with the delectable things that go in the baskets! I'm going to be making home made apple-butter, soup-in-a-jar, bath salts, candles, flavored vinegars, cocoa and home made marshmallows, flavored coffees, candy and any thing else I can dream up!

Lori, I love listening to Christmas music while I'm holiday crafting and sewing! It really helps put you in a jolly mood and adds a good pinch of inspiration!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

crafter
True Blue Farmgirl

2313 Posts

lori
Fort Atkinson Wisconsin
USA
2313 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2011 :  2:35:35 PM  Show Profile
Christmas music is playing every day now- it's getting close. Not to rush the holiday, but I want to be ready!
Go to Top of Page

tammyknit
True Blue Farmgirl

135 Posts

Tammy
Reedsburg WI
USA
135 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2011 :  3:22:52 PM  Show Profile
I have a cowl finished for DD to wear outside when snowshoing, sledding, etc, and a hat for my mom. Also giving everybody jam (Berries did GREAT this year). Lots of projects to go, but at least i have made a start. Good luck everyone!

Tammy
Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2011 :  4:48:18 PM  Show Profile
i've been thinking about it-and it will be here before we know it--i usually only gift my grands and my daughter (who has no kids)...(my sons have the grands so unless it's a "family" gift i don't do it). i do a lil something for my mom.

last Christmas, i gifted the gals that I work with- i didn't know protocol since I was the new kid and no one talked- i made the pumpkin bread in a jar and wrapped the jars nicely- they looked at me like i had three horns- dunno what they thought or if they even ate the bread but i felt like i wasted the jars!!!!!

our cleaning lady at work does neat stuff-she filled stockings for each of us and i did give her a jar-

so-this year-dunno--i know the Christian feeling is that it is better to give than receive and i felt good about te givin--it was the attitude-or lack of it-- that bothered me!

for the grands-no clue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

those ornaments are darling but i don't crochet......
thx for listening to my grumble......

Farmgirl # 2139
proud member of the Farmgirls of the Southwest Henhouse
~*~ counting my pennies and biding my time; my dreams are adding up!~*~
Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2011 :  5:20:48 PM  Show Profile
I can't help thinking about Christmas as my five year old asks me every other day if it's Christmas time yet!!!!

Excuse the mess & the noise, my children are making happy memories
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2011 :  6:15:54 PM  Show Profile
I have been crocheting a few things for Christmas. Now that my daughter and her family have moved clear across the US...Tampa, FL, our Christmas giving will be different. We have always shared our Christmas together. My son lives 2 hours away, and often has to work Christmas. Since neither will be able to be here for Christmas, some of the gifts will be smaller because of postage costs.

Ninni, if you don't mind, I'll borrow your idea and send these loving notes now. I love your idea, & having a few friends now with breast cancer, and others whom I have lost recently, I shouldn't wait until Christmas. Also, since I always seem so far behind, I know there have been Christmas's in which I have waited until after Christmas to catch up on reading cards & notes. It seems that the holidays can get away from me, & be way too hectic. Blessings to you all!

I found that this thread is one of the most uplifting for me, and I have gotten so many thoughts & ideas for my own Christmas. Looking for more comments.

Buffypuff/ Claudia ~ Farmgirl Sister #870 @}~~
"God sends no one away empty except those who are full of themselves." DL Moody

Go to Top of Page

SheilaC
True Blue Farmgirl

1948 Posts

Sheila
Vermont
USA
1948 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2011 :  7:10:28 PM  Show Profile
Here's a cute and easy gift idea you could make now (before snow falls!) Kind of fits in with primitives-style decorating, but fits in with other stuff as well! :) http://troutwife.blogspot.com/2011/09/easy-gift-idea.html as long as you have driftwood or other wood and stones and glue!! :)

http://troutwife.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Farmer Judy
True Blue Farmgirl

433 Posts

Judy
North Aurora IL
USA
433 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2011 :  10:42:45 AM  Show Profile
I have been cutting and sewing fleece hats for a charity all year using my left over fleece from past years. My DH thought I was nuts two weeks ago when I started making hot pads in Christmas fabric (left overs also) and using my son's worn out mattress pad (doubled or trippled) as the insides for them. I'm in a bad financial situation right now and don't know how much of a Christmas we will have if my DH can't find a job soon so I am trying to find reasons to be happy for the season, other than the obvious, Jesus being born.

God bless,

Judy

Born a city girl but a farm girl at heart!

http://farmtimes.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Christmas? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page