Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Learning to knit...am I too old??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Learning to knit...am I too old?? Next Topic
Page: of 2

Terre
True Blue Farmgirl

97 Posts

Indiana
USA
97 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2011 :  5:53:51 PM  Show Profile
Hi Linda,
You're never too old! I'm older than you and I'm also learning. I started last Fall and then thought it took too much time away from other things I like to do such as quilting. However, then I had some little hints of arthritis in my fingers and found that the knitting seems to be actually helping my fingers feel better. I even took a small pair of plastic knitting needles with me on the airplane recently and really enjoyed the time for knitting. So enjoy---and also check out the YouTube videos. I've found some really helpful ones. Helps to have your knitting right there so you can pause, practice, rewind, etc. I recently did this in trying to learn the correct way for binding off. Hope you have fun.

Be true in heart.
Go to Top of Page

emtfarmer
True Blue Farmgirl

222 Posts

Darlene
North Carolina
USA
222 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2011 :  8:06:02 PM  Show Profile
Too old?? no, no, no, no, no, no. And it sounds like you've got a good start. I didn't start to experiment with crocheting and knitting until the last couple of years. I've made many simple scarves; I'm just now trying to step out of my comfort zone and try something more challenging.

At 53 years old, I try to eliminate the term "too old" from my vocabulary. Now, I DID tell someone once that I was just "chronologically challenged".

Have fun!
Darlene

"Support your local fire departments and rescue squads...volunteers making a difference"
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2011 :  06:24:46 AM  Show Profile
Linda,
I teach knitting for my Parks and Rec here in my town. Two word answer for you darlin': HEAVENS NO! I have taught women who have never picked up needles who are older than that. Never too old to learn anything, especially something wonderful like knitting. Funny to see this post today....check out my blog this week...I mention someone who just learned to knit two years ago and now owns a yarn store. YOU GO GIRL!

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/
Go to Top of Page

HollyG
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

Holly
Hamburg Arkansas
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2011 :  7:35:36 PM  Show Profile  Click to see HollyG's MSN Messenger address
My theory is unless you're dead, you're never too old to learn anything! 50 is far from dead and I applauded you for doing something you have always wanted to do. You inspire me! Good luck and post a picture of your accomplishments. I would love to see them!

HollyG
Farmgirl #2513
www.mydeepwoodslife.com
Go to Top of Page

sweettea
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Candace
St Cloud MN
USA
55 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2011 :  6:32:27 PM  Show Profile
You're never too old Linda! I'm 54 and I'm teaching myself how to tat. I also picked up knitting and crocheting a couple years ago after 40 years or so of not utilizing those skills. I began learning to play the guitar three years ago. I know you'll love it and you will be knitting socks, sweaters and slippers for everyone in no time!

"There are two ways to live: you can live as if nothing is a miracle; you can live as if everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

Nana Shirl
True Blue Farmgirl

352 Posts

Shirley
Kit Carson Colorado
USA
352 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2011 :  2:14:15 PM  Show Profile  Send Nana Shirl a Yahoo! Message
Kudos to you!!! I too am trying n I almost gave up...but having read about y'all...I am going to keep after it till I get it!!Blessings girls n thanks so much for perseverance..I can do this ..I can do this..

You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~C.S. Lewis
Go to Top of Page

Cherime
True Blue Farmgirl

1222 Posts

Cherime
Wasilla Alaska
USA
1222 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2011 :  2:41:54 PM  Show Profile
You go girl!!!!

CMF
Go to Top of Page

Cherime
True Blue Farmgirl

1222 Posts

Cherime
Wasilla Alaska
USA
1222 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2011 :  08:51:01 AM  Show Profile
Have not knitted anything in years, picked it up again to do a ribbing on a crochet slouch hat, got ribbing done and now will have to go on the internet to find out how to flex bind off again. This is a riot I am having a good laugh over this one.

CMF
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2011 :  1:45:07 PM  Show Profile
I really thought I'd posted on this thread...no, one is never too old. I'm 38 and just started knitting not too many years ago. I love it, but I do wish I had more time (and that my hands were less cramped from typing on the computer all day...numb fingers do NOT help you knit better, just an fyi :))...I took one class that taught me to knit and pearl and the rest I have taught myself. I found that there are some knitting tutorials on youtube that are really helpful, and if I'm stumped, I'll take my project and head over to the knitting shop and have someone help me there.

I am currently knitting 2 hats--one for my wee girl, and one for a newborn. I always think I'll make someone something wonderful for Christmas, but I just never have the time. Working full time, and being a mom to a toddler cuts into creativity :)

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2011 :  4:13:09 PM  Show Profile
I just learned to knit recently too. I am loving it.

I have a question. I am knitting a small blanket and I am noticing when I knit a row then purl a row, the sides and bottom are curling alot. What am I doinf? The other 2 are not doing that with the plain knit stitch and purl stitch, Just wondering. Maybe I have it too tight?

Jonni, a newborn? Do we need to know something?

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2011 :  9:59:33 PM  Show Profile
Kirstin, stocking stitch will roll without a border stitch. When I do blankets, I do several rows of garter stitch (knit every row) as a border and then do the same number of stitches on each end of the row in garter stitch with the stocking stitch in the center. This will prevent the edges from rolling like that. You could also use seed stitch as a nice border as well.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran

http://farmsteadfripperies.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2011 :  11:48:50 AM  Show Profile
Sheri, I have no idea what those stitches are so I will look them up. But I am already more than halfway done. I'll just have to figure out what to do. I am planning on crocheting all the panels together and maybe crocheting around the edges so that might make it lay flat then.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2011 :  1:02:16 PM  Show Profile
Kirsten, stocking stitch is knit one row, purl one row. (st st) Garter stitch is knit every row. You should be able to crochet a border and it will lay flat. To knit with a simple border - For example: Do say, 5 rows of garter stitch (knit every row) for your bottom border. Then knit the first 5 stitches pm (place a marker) knit across to the last 5 stitches, pm, knit the last five stitches. The next row, knit 5, purl across, knit 5. The next row knit across all stitches. Then alternate between these two rows and you will have a piece with a garter stitch border that won't roll. On the final end, just knit another 5 rows of garter stitch before binding off. Does that help? This works well for knitting a scarf as well.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran

http://farmsteadfripperies.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Learning to knit...am I too old?? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page