Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Learning to knit...am I too old??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Learning to knit...am I too old?? Next Topic
Page: of 2

HeirloomMomma
Farmgirl in Training

38 Posts

Linda
PA
USA
38 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2011 :  2:33:50 PM  Show Profile
For many years I have wanted to learn to knit. I actually did learn to knit when I was about 11 years old from an elderly pastor's wife who lived in the small town where I grew up. I made a pair of bedroom slippers. :) However, I didn't continue so I have lost the knowledge.
I am now 50, and I really want to learn how. I bought a skein of yarn and two sizes of inexpensive knitting needles, and I have bookmarked several videos on youtube to teach me how.
Do you ladies think I can do it?? I think I just need a few words of encouragement!
Thanks one and all!

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13620 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13620 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2011 :  3:10:58 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Linda,
Too old?? Never!!!
I'm going on my 63rd and have been teaching myself to knit just this past winter!!!!
I say go for it . . .
. . . you're never too old to learn new things!!! Especially if you WANT to!
Happy knitting!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665

From my Heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

From my Hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

From my Hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

britchickny
True Blue Farmgirl

1048 Posts

Angie
Port Orange Florida
1048 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2011 :  3:16:49 PM  Show Profile
No way! Just take your time, and remember to enjoy the learning process! We'll eagerly await pictures of your first project.

ANGIE
"Mercy, peace and love be yours in abundance" JUDE 1:2

http://www.pinkroomponderings.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6584 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6584 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2011 :  3:17:14 PM  Show Profile
Linda, you can never be too old to knit take it from this 56 year old who learned again after many, many years of not knitting. The thing is patience and have fun with it, as it can be so relaxing for you.
Need any help holler.
Farmgirl Hugs,
Debbie

www.etsy.com/shop/CollectThisTreasures

http://debbielynnf.blogspot.com

http://myworld.ebay.com/debbt
Go to Top of Page

HeirloomMomma
Farmgirl in Training

38 Posts

Linda
PA
USA
38 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2011 :  4:12:29 PM  Show Profile
Thanks everyone! I AM going to practice starting this week. I will let you know how I do.
Hugs to you all!

http://hoovershomesteadhappenings.blogspot.com
"Leap and the net will appear."
Go to Top of Page

Beverly Gill
True Blue Farmgirl

1114 Posts

Beverly
Marlborough
USA
1114 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2011 :  4:30:55 PM  Show Profile
no way---I am 62 and am going to teach myself this winter.

Beverly Gill

There's no place like home
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2011 :  5:13:31 PM  Show Profile
Nope. Just the right age..whenever you are ready. I am also going to be 63. Just learned this summer. So there.

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

pixiedra
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

Oklahoma
USA
10 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2011 :  05:18:57 AM  Show Profile
Have fun learning! The best thing I've found to use besides youtube videos is a kid's knitting book. All the instructions are color coded and are explained simply, not condescendingly.

"You are you. Now isn't that pleasant?" Dr. Seuss
Go to Top of Page

Marcy
True Blue Farmgirl

2701 Posts

Marcy
Tiverton Rhode Island
USA
2701 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2011 :  06:02:04 AM  Show Profile
Hi Linda,

Of course you can do it! And no, you are never too old to learn. I wish that I lived closer, I would love to be able to help. There are plenty of video's on youtube if you get stuck, or just ask away on the boards here. Good luck and let us know how it goes. I'm sure that you will have your first project finished in no time.

hugs
Marcy

Farmgirl #170

Since you get more joy out of giving joy to others, you should put a good deal of thought into the happiness that you are able to give...Eleanor Roosevelt

Go to Top of Page

craftingram
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Karin
Nashville In
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2011 :  06:24:44 AM  Show Profile
Of course you're not too old, you're never too old to try something new. The Farmgirls are right, there are good tutorials on YouTube and lots of good books to help you. Start out with the basic knit and purl stitches, get comfortable with them and go from there. You will find it fun and relaxing, I promise.

Karin
Farmgirl #2708

Romans 8: 38,39
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13620 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13620 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2011 :  06:31:59 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
YAY Linda!!
I've also been teaching myself to tat and crochet!
You go girl!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665

From my Heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

From my Hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

From my Hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

PicketFence
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

Arline
Walla Walla Washington
USA
13 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2011 :  06:32:20 AM  Show Profile
Check out knittinghelp.com they have lots of little instructional video clips that take you through each step nice and slow. THE best thing is you can play it again. And again. And again! ;) Enjoy! As long as you're still breathing, you're not too old. Be patient with yourself, you'll get it.
Go to Top of Page

Annie S
True Blue Farmgirl

756 Posts

Annie
Custer S.D.
USA
756 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2011 :  11:42:04 AM  Show Profile
I agree with everyone too - you're never too old to learn. I was 50 when I asked my mother to
re-teach me how to knit and crochet and then took some beginner classes at a knit shop. I took to it like a duck to water. I'm now 64. All my grandkids have gotten knit scarves and hats for Christmas over the past few years. And new babies have gotten crocheted blankets. It's just so relaxing! I'm now teaching myself how to do hand embroidery and I'm loving that too. I intend to keep on learning new things. "They" say that if a person keeps their mind working by "doing" things (crafts, reading, etc.) people actually live longer and healthier lives. So you go girl! Happy knitting.
Go to Top of Page

herb19355
True Blue Farmgirl

321 Posts

Debi
Danielsville, GA
USA
321 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2011 :  2:01:42 PM  Show Profile  Send herb19355 a Yahoo! Message
You are only as old as you allow yourself to be...... Go for it!!!!!

And let us know if you have any questions. With utubes and digital pics, it is almost like we are there.

Keep us posted!

Debi
herb19355

GA Farmgirl #2515
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2011 :  3:01:21 PM  Show Profile
I have been teaching myself to knit this past year. I am 47. I have found that I actually retain it better because I am more serious about learning the skill than I have the last few times I have tried over my life. I say you are never to young to try to something you really want to do. Of course, if you don't want to do it, you can always use age as an excuse!!!! =)

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2011 :  4:50:19 PM  Show Profile
You are never too old to learn anything. I love to knit..and learned as a kid but I still learn new things now and then even though I am now as old as dirt! You can do it!!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2875 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2875 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2011 :  5:39:57 PM  Show Profile
Jenny
Those socks you recently made are gorgeous! I still cannot believe how tightly knit your socks are. Better than a machine!
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2011 :  5:46:26 PM  Show Profile
Oh heavens! You have more patience now than you did when you were 20, and you are wiser to know that with practice, you can improve any skill. Young people tend to get frustrated much quicker, and are much more critical of themselves. Now that you are over 50 you know that with perseverence comes many rewards, and the confidence that comes with it!

I have a lot of extra hand-knitting patterns that came from a knitting shop that was closing. If you send me an email with your address I would be glad to look for some simpler patterns to get you started.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

LuckyMommyof5
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Suzanne
OH
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2011 :  6:19:16 PM  Show Profile
You go for it!! And reading this makes me want to re-learn knitting! I was taught by my mother when I was little and am now 36 and haven't picked up knitting needles in maybe 20 years. You've made me want to go for it too!

Farmgirl Sister #3243

"The real things haven't changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures; and have courage when things go wrong." - Laura Ingalls Wilder
Go to Top of Page

SantaTeresita
True Blue Farmgirl

474 Posts

Teresita
Sacramento CA
USA
474 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2011 :  11:49:07 AM  Show Profile
Linda,

I would like to tell you honestly that you are never too old to learn and never too old to a new adventure. I was one of those crocheters who always wanted to learn but each time I tried something didn't go right. So I had convinced myself that I couldn't do it. But 5 years ago this month I decided to take a class for learning to knit that just so happened to be right on the day of my birthday. Maybe it was just good luck and having a good instructor this time around. But I did learn this time.

Let me tell you that the regret is not in learning to knit. IT is in not learning sooner. Oh, I still crochet of course but knitting has its own magic as well. I've been loving knitting and continue to learn something more each year.

Don't feel ever like it is too late or think about all those other knitters who can do all sorts with their knitting needles, double-pointed needles and circular needles. Just go at your own pace. I'd recommend knitting on bamboo needles and start with a size 8 or 9 needles for starters and a worsted weight yarn to begin. In no time you'll be able to cast on, knit and purl along and bind off as well.

I had especially good luck with learning to knit a good tension by making a lot of dishcloths. People made fun of me in a class I took at MICHAELS once upon a time for sticking to dishcloths while they were making hats and scarves and afghans. But I was determined to build up my skill and am proud of what I have accomplished. THese days I do knit plenty of hats and am making a cape in the round on my circular needles. I am also beginning to knit intarsia finally.

Everything just begins and you start your own adventure. IT never matters what everyone else can do. It's your adventure. There are many wonderful books now and lots of videos.

I love knittinghelp.com and Ravelry.com.

Good luck and always remember, yes you can. THere's even a book too entitled "NEVER TOO OLD TO KNIT" and that is the honest truth Linda!

"Yes you can/Si se puede!"
Farmgirl Sister #2503
Go to Top of Page

HeirloomMomma
Farmgirl in Training

38 Posts

Linda
PA
USA
38 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2011 :  4:48:17 PM  Show Profile
Ladies, you have fed my soul with encouragement and kindess.
I watched several youtube videos today and began knitting!!!!!!!!!!!! I only have two little rows done, but tomorrow I will sit in front of the air-conditioner, as it is going to be sweltering heat here tomorrow, and I will KNIT.
Thank you so much!
I will post my progress.
In Sisterhood,
Linda

http://hoovershomesteadhappenings.blogspot.com
"Leap and the net will appear."
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2011 :  5:15:06 PM  Show Profile
Yay Linda!!!!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2011 :  8:20:48 PM  Show Profile
Happy Dance just for you, Linda!

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

barnagainkristin
True Blue Farmgirl

465 Posts

Kristin
Utah
USA
465 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2011 :  8:51:47 PM  Show Profile
Linda,
Oh my goodness... 50 is not too old nor is 100. You will do great and be hooked soon. I was thinking as long as you have your vision and use of your hands you can knit. I took my mother in law to the blind center and met a woman who was totally blind who knit beautifully. I guess all you really need is the will to knit. Best Wishes with your new skill.

barnagainkristin

"Others Before Self"
Go to Top of Page

SarahJ
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Shreveport Louisiana
198 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2011 :  09:01:43 AM  Show Profile
Hey Linda,
I've been teaching myself to knit out of a book, and after a couple of disasterous attempts, I dropped by my local yarn shop for inspriation. One of the owners, after hearing about my calamity, sat me down right then and taught me more in 5 minutes than I learned in the three days of puzzling over the book. A day and a half later, I finished my first scarf, and took it back so she could teach me to bind off. If you have a local yarn shop, I encourage you to visit, because it helped me tremendously!!!

SarahJ

Farmgirl Sister #116

http://bayoumama.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

tammyknit
True Blue Farmgirl

135 Posts

Tammy
Reedsburg WI
USA
135 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2011 :  5:28:59 PM  Show Profile
I was a crocheter for years in my 20s and 30s, but about 6 yrs ago I decided to teach myself to knit. I figured out scarves, then found an easy mitten pattern and made lots of mittens and hats. I was watching an HGTV knitting show one morning that was about knitting socks, so I printed off those directions.....and have made LOTS of socks. I still use that basic pattern as a travel project, soccer games and softball games go faster with socks on the needles. Amazing how fast you knit when your team is losing:) About 3 yrs ago our local yarn shop taught a class called the Great American Afghan and that really took my skills up a notch. I have started the first block in the Great American Aran Afghan now and still love knitting. My biggest regret is that there is no group in the town where I live to get together and knit..

Tammy
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Learning to knit...am I too old?? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page