Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Parenting & Farm Kids
 Toddler fun in the yard
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Toddler fun in the yard Next Topic  

Kristi_Lynn
Farmgirl in Training

15 Posts

Kristi
Shore acres Texas
USA
15 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2011 :  09:17:28 AM  Show Profile
Any tips on how to keep a 1 1/2 year old boy occupied?

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2011 :  09:26:06 AM  Show Profile
LOL In my experience anything works for a bout five minutes at that age! Seriously though, a wash tub with rice in it with some cups and bowls and a big spoon is fun for that age. Out on the grass it does not matter if he spills some. How about a sprinkler? No standing water to drown in. Pull toys from inside are more fun outside if you have a drive or walkway that is smooth. Just be prepared to change activities frequently to keep him engaged. Their little attention spans are so short.
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

woolgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

901 Posts

Elizabeth
Great Lakes IL
USA
901 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2011 :  09:28:37 AM  Show Profile
Target had this great little thing that is a circle you hook up to the hose that gives a little spary of water for 5 dollars. My 3 year old loves it. Bubbles and chalk are good too. I know some like sand stuff, I just hate hate hate that it gets sand all over the house then...LOL! We save our sand play for the beach! A little water table is awesome too. You can just put some cheapy bath toys in it and they will play for hours.

Liz
Farmgirl #1947
www.militaryfarmgirl.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

WinsomeWench
Farmgirl in Training

12 Posts

Jacquie
Inglewood CA
USA
12 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2011 :  1:31:10 PM  Show Profile
Last summer, my now 2.5 year old LOVED water. The hose on a slow drip, filling up buckets, watering cans, watering the grass, etc,. She also loved chalk. Put them both together, and she would be entertained all day. Draw with chalk, wash it away, draw with chalk, etc.

“Above all, be true to yourself, and if you cannot put your heart in it, take yourself out of it.”
Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2011 :  3:46:31 PM  Show Profile
I got some super cheap little tykes toys from a rummage sale (a quarter each!) A big plastic dump truck and a pretend lawn mower, my kids LOVE them! Plus I put a few balls outside and that is what I do with my kids :) I have a one year old and a very soon to be two year old!

Mothers are those wonderful people who can get up in the morning before the smell of coffee. ~Author Unknown

http://countryrenaissance.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SunflowersAndHoney
Go to Top of Page

Kristi_Lynn
Farmgirl in Training

15 Posts

Kristi
Shore acres Texas
USA
15 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2011 :  08:35:13 AM  Show Profile
I went to Radio Flyer online an found the cutest stuff! There was a little toddler wheel barrow, little red wagon and trike. My boy is six months old and my husband and i are about to get into our first house so I'm making plans for him for next summer. I will be wanting to spend lots of time outside and am glad to get good ideas for him.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2011 :  09:12:39 AM  Show Profile
Besides the things already mentioned..if you have a wood fence and an old big paint brush..fill a bucket with water and let him "paint" the fence.
Fill a dishpan with shaving cream and hide little things for him to find inside (army men, legos, balls etc)
I have a daycare in my home and the big favorites for the toddlers (which is most of my business...up to 3 year olds) is the simple stuff...homemade tunnels, water play, etc. Have fun.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

SadieSadieChickenLady
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

Sadie from allnaturalme.com
Coolspring PA
USA
9 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2011 :  8:06:00 PM  Show Profile
Playsilks on the clothesline :)

My kids love making tents & forts and Mama loves the shade it provides on a hot day.

Pics on my blog for an example: http://allnaturalme.com/blog/?p=1897

For the little ones, put a quilted blanket down on the grass with toys, books, trucks, coloring... for things to do, although the flowing silks themselves are sometimes playful enough!

Much Mama Love!!
Sadie

Following My Bliss @allnaturalme
Go to Top of Page

HeirloomMomma
Farmgirl in Training

38 Posts

Linda
PA
USA
38 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2011 :  3:58:15 PM  Show Profile
A spray bottle filled with water. My grandson used to like to 'help' me clean at that age.
Stickers, you can buy inexpensive ones at a dollar store. Always fun!
Homemade playdoh, always a hit.

Farmgirl Sister #3291
http://hoovershomesteadhappenings.blogspot.com
"Leap and the net will appear."
Go to Top of Page
  Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Toddler fun in the yard Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page