Kristi_Lynn
Farmgirl in Training

15 Posts

Kristi
Shore acres Texas
USA
15 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2011 :  09:11:47 AM  Show Profile
Me, my husband and our baby are moving into our first house. I will finally be able to build my flower beds and hang my clothesline. Any other tips to make our home more farmish?

woolgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

901 Posts

Elizabeth
Great Lakes IL
USA
901 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2011 :  09:25:04 AM  Show Profile
Congratulations on your new home! That's so exciting!

I have learned that making things more farm-inspired is best when you can use things for unexpected purposes. Odd containers to plant things in, I use pretty tablecloths outside, and anything you love will make it that much more farmgirl and special to you!

Liz
Farmgirl #1947
www.militaryfarmgirl.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2011 :  09:35:37 AM  Show Profile
One of the things I use for so many different things is wash tubs. I have several sizes and they are all good for something! I buy cheap ones with holes in them to plant things in. I have a fountain with an old hand pump in another. I have a small one with a handle that I use when weeding. A large one is great to wash the dogs in. They look farmish and are useful! If you get new ones that are too shiny for your taste wash them down with vinegar and they will tarnish nicely.
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

Sobyn
True Blue Farmgirl

752 Posts

Sabrina
Kansas
USA
752 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2011 :  11:02:35 AM  Show Profile
Oh neat thread!! I love the ideas so far can't wait to see more :). We live in town too. My house by nature is cluttered (that's what happens when mom is creative and has too many unfinished projects at any one time!) but I love the warm cozy feel and would love to give my outdoors that feel too!
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2011 :  3:46:43 PM  Show Profile
an old comfy quilt draped on a old chair on the porch, with an old pail next to it full of magazines and/or seed catalogs

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13620 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13620 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2011 :  10:04:13 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
I have lots of things I got off our family farm, such as tractor seats, rakes, pitchforks and all sorts of farm tools like that (without handles). I am fortunate enough to also have an very old wheelbarrow, corn planter, iron gate my dad made, etc.
I think that most of the farmgirls here like old things . . .vintage, antique . . they are champions at repurposing!!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665

From my Heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

From my Hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

From my Hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

OGGFarmJess
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Jessy
Ivins Utah
USA
8 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2011 :  8:10:45 PM  Show Profile
What a great topic! Loving these ideas!
Go to Top of Page

blackfell_farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

96 Posts

Casey
Chandler AZ
USA
96 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2011 :  09:44:48 AM  Show Profile  Click to see blackfell_farmgirl's MSN Messenger address  Send blackfell_farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
A few old Watering cans that have holes would also make good planters for small plants. Maybe a few herbs. Also old horse watering troughs: these make good raised planters for small stuff. :) This is a cool thread!!

blackfell_farmgirl

HorseCrazy!
Go to Top of Page

Sabrena Orr
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Sabrena
Olympia WA
USA
198 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2011 :  09:47:21 AM  Show Profile
I have a couple of old crocks I use for planting annuals that sit on out front. I also have a wood ladder from my grandma & grandpa that I place in our flower beds for a vertical visual treat. It's really cute with sweet peas growing up it!

Sabrena, Olympia
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2011 :  10:18:09 AM  Show Profile
Love the idea with the ladder!!! A great trellis!!!

Jan

Farmgirl Sister #3340
Go to Top of Page

Farmer Judy
True Blue Farmgirl

433 Posts

Judy
North Aurora IL
USA
433 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2011 :  10:35:14 AM  Show Profile
I will have to try the ladder next spring, this last spring I did not have enough time to get creative and used our teepee grill that goes over a fire to trellis my beans. It looks great but it just seems to small

God bless,

Judy

Born a city girl but a farm girl at heart!

http://farmtimes.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2011 :  8:25:42 PM  Show Profile
How about a chicken statue or chicken watering troth, the one with the mason jar in it. Just a spade stuck in the dirt looks ok too. A hat hung on a fence post or a scarecrow works great. Have fun. Bonnie

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

vmfein
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Valerie
Dale City VA
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2011 :  8:41:55 PM  Show Profile
I have an old looking hutch so I can keep dishes and other nice items in. My grandmother always had one on my grandparents farm. Now my parents have it in their dining area.

Farmgirl Sister #2619

http://www.etsy.com/shop/vmfein
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13620 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13620 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2011 :  11:57:19 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
I grew up on a farm and after both my parents passed away we had to sell the farm. That meant going through barns, sheds, the apple house, my parents house, my dads two workshops and cleaning up acres and acres of accumulation. I scored handle-less rakes, hoes, pitchforks, and such that I use to decorate my rock gardens. I also hauled home the corn planter which is sitting in my yard. Antique tins, egg scales, etc., etc. Numerous tools, implements, household items,. I was fortunate in that there were sooooo many treasures from the farm. THEN I was able to get an old washtub and wheelbarrow from my father-in-law.
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

From my Heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

From my Hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

From my Hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Kim L.
True Blue Farmgirl

162 Posts

Kimberly
Knoxville TN
USA
162 Posts