Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Make It Easy
 Reduce, Re-use(re-purpose), Recycle
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Make It Easy: Previous Topic Reduce, Re-use(re-purpose), Recycle Next Topic  

OmgsItsTashaRose
Farmgirl in Training

44 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul MN
USA
44 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2011 :  1:12:04 PM  Show Profile
Not sure where to post this so I thought here would be good....

So I see these words bandied about, being used to mean one thing when they mean something totally different.

Do you know they are placed in that order for a reason?

First we are to REDUCE: Reduce our consumption, opt for things that are more sustainable and reduce our waste as much as possible: buying yoghurt in large tubs instead of small cups, making our own yoghurt, sorting our "trash" so we aren't throwing out things that can be recycled, thereby reducing our ladfill contributions...you get the drift...

next we are to Re-use(or re-purpose as has become the catch phrase): turn soemthing that has become not useful into something else useful, ie.: knitting plastic bags into reuseable shopping bags, using old t-shirts to make a bath mat, turning aprons into curtains, reusing the occassional deli container for tupperware...you get the point....

lastly we are to recycle: recycle the things that cannot be re-used or re-purposed so that they can be made into more items that can be useful... your yoghurt tubs become toothbrushes or park benches... you get it...

so the reason I bring this up is this: turning a t-shirt into a bathmat is NOT recycling, it is re-using or re-purposing. it is not going through a cycle that it did previously, thus is is not being re-circulated as the same or similar, or: recycled.

I mean this in the most helpful way...you'll recall I have a thing about proper useage ;-) Plus, it is just helpful to know why those words are shown in the order they are...from the most important and impactful step, to the least impactful step...all important steps nonetheless...

make sense?

:)

Formerly GaiasRose

smiley
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

lea
pea ridge arkansas
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2011 :  7:07:23 PM  Show Profile
Have you ever noticed how throughout our history when the economy gets bad it gets popular to "go green" and then when prosperity hits folks throw that out the window?
Go to Top of Page
  Make It Easy: Previous Topic Reduce, Re-use(re-purpose), Recycle Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page