Page: of 2

FlipFlopFarmer
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Carla
Molalla Oregon
198 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2006 :  09:28:37 AM  Show Profile
Glad to read that you're enjoying being TV free. We went TV free for 6 months last year. We really enjoyed it and talk about removing it again. We live in the country and don't have cable so we only get about 5 or 6 channels in anyway. Much of our time is spent on chores anyway it seems.

It is amazing what a difference it makes in the home though. It quiets down your whole environment and I swear my kids are happier without the TV/XBOX. I have two boys, 5 & 15 and they grumbled a little about not having it at first but then that quickly went away and they found other things to do.

It was sorta funny though because one of my co-workers wives told me that I was abusing my kids by not allowing them to watch TV. That is was cruel and .....(get this....my most ridiculous thing I've ever heard)...."How will they know what's cool and popular? They're going to go to school and get made fun of!" Oh good gravy that is just shallow and laughable!!!

Carla

Live simply.
Love generously.
Care deeply.
Speak kindly.
Go to Top of Page

katiedid
True Blue Farmgirl

601 Posts

Kate
West Jordan Utah
USA
601 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2006 :  5:41:04 PM  Show Profile
Carla! That is exactly why TV drives me nuts! It is an advertising machine, you friend is totally brain washed by adds!!
Give me a break.
My peeve lately is those new McDonalds commercials...."At our house it has calmed raging battles, Motivated homework; Been a reward for good behavior; Now with healthier choices like itty bitty chemical treated apples with sugar erm...caramel dipping sauce, and CHOCOLATE milk." It really irkes me!! This commercial is all emotional, making parents believe that they are being better parents when they choose McDs over Wendys....
Ok, so life is far from perfect around my house, but I don't really need McDs advertising execs telling me how I can be a better parent!
OK, deep breath, relax, rant over now........we eat some sugar around here, and we occasionally buy the chocolate Silk for our girls with dairy allergies, so I am not pretending to be a food Nazi, the emotional crap just bugs me......
Thanks for the therapy ladies. Obviously I needed it :)
Love and light to all my FarmSistas
Kate
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2006 :  7:11:57 PM  Show Profile
We have TV. But we hardly ever watch it! Just watch the local news in the a.m. and the beginning of the Today show before going to work, then after 10:00 we watch whatever police show (I love crossing Jordan) happens to be on. Sometimes we even set the sleep timer and stay up to watch the Tonight show. Our old TV in the family room gave up the ghost last year so we shopped and shopped and finally got a plasma high-definition TV. It seems extravagant, especially with the amount of TV we watch, but after all, you have to keep up with the Joneses and all (just kidding, well kinda).

Since we don't get cable TV (just internet) we are kind of concerned about what is going to happen when the old analog broadcast stations are no longer available in 2007? We intermittently can receive the digital stations from Cleveland but not very high quality. I shopped for a digital HDTV antenna and found one, but it was only good for stations within a 40-mile range and all the stations we usually watch are 70 miles away or more. There is one local station that we get just fine in digital mode, but it is an independent station, the programming isn't very good.

Speaking of abusing your kids by depriving them of the TV, my youngest daughter always thought she was deprived because I didn't subscribe to cable TV. (We had it until she was 3 and I came home from work to find her and her older sister glued to VH1 where there was some pretty risque dancing going on - I cancelled it- my ex-husband was mad... Oh well. He was always mad!) She was the ONLY one in her WHOLE SCHOOL. When she moved out on her own, she had cable right away, and watched TV all the time, but her bills got away from her and after a few months she cancelled it, and doesn't watch much TV now. Funny how different it is when you are paying the bills!

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com, web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic TV or no TV? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page